Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Harley Sportster Sidecar recommendations?

Hello, I have a customer who wants me to add a sidecar to his 2005 HD Sportster. He's looking to do this inexpensively, in other words, buy a used sidecar and have me connect it. Although I'm very mechanically experienced, this is a new area to me. Does HD make a sidecar attchment kit? Are there sidecar brands you recommend or that he should avoid? His primary passenger will be a 50 pound dog (or occasionally a human). He does NOT want to convert the Sportster to a trike, he wants a sidecar. Thanks for your help!
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Cool Velorex 562E Sportster combo

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger
    Hello, I have a customer who wants me to add a sidecar to his 2005 HD Sportster. He's looking to do this inexpensively, in other words, buy a used sidecar and have me connect it. Although I'm very mechanically experienced, this is a new area to me. Does HD make a sidecar attchment kit? Are there sidecar brands you recommend or that he should avoid? His primary passenger will be a 50 pound dog (or occasionally a human). He does NOT want to convert the Sportster to a trike, he wants a sidecar. Thanks for your help!
    +Attach a Velorex 562E for him. It's inexpensive, easy to handle, easy to hookup and detach, and great for the dog (or others). No mods necessary.
    http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...es/35_5685.JPG

Worked for me for many miles. Still have the hack awaiting attachment to something else.

I can scan/copy the hookup instructions if you need them to see what you're in for, but any semi-capable individual can handle it.

Ride on.
    Roadkill

Spyder Garage

Thanks Roadkill, I have passed this on to my customer. Looks like used are $1500-$2000.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers

Spyder Garage

There is a lot more to a sidecar rig than just bolting on a sidecar. Proper setup and alignment is an art, not a science, and few have mastered it. Without an ability to change the triple tree to adjust the rake, steering can be tough. A sidecar rig that is not set up right is among the most evil handling vehicles on earth. Not trying to scare you, just enlighten you. Do some research, talk to some sidecar experts or long time riders, and be sure to warn your customer about the possibilities and difficulties. Many first time hack riders find themselves in a ditch on their first outing.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But that's what makes them so much fun!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    There is a lot more to a sidecar rig than just bolting on a sidecar. Proper setup and alignment is an art, not a science, and few have mastered it. Without an ability to change the triple tree to adjust the rake, steering can be tough. A sidecar rig that is not set up right is among the most evil handling vehicles on earth. Not trying to scare you, just enlighten you. Do some research, talk to some sidecar experts or long time riders, and be sure to warn your customer about the possibilities and difficulties. Many first time hack riders find themselves in a ditch on their first outing.
    + 1!!!!!! Side cars are a joy but they have to be set up right. He might want to consider keeping the sporty stock and buying a ural. They are the only machines that are made from the ground up as a proper sidecar "rig".
    With a little research a nice used machine can be had for under 5 grand ( you likely will spend that much converting the sporty). No you will not go cross country with it (although some do) but you will have a nice 60 mph proper sidecar rig. Get 2005 or newer they are light years ahead of the older units in terms of reliability.

RAL

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for the feedback. I am passing it along to the customer, so he can make an informed decision. Keep it coming!

Spyder Garage

Here's some ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

More...

Spyder Garage

Or these...

Spyder Garage

and finally...