Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Aborted Juice Box Pro install on my RTS

Oh how I cussed. I thought how bloody difficult can it be to unplug stuff and plug it back in. Turns out...unlike everyone else in the world... it's a pain in the butt.

I was cussing like Ralphie's dad in the Christmas Story when he was working on the furnace. Queen mothers filled the air. For the life of me, I couldn't get to the right side injector plug. Damned big fingers. Having only barely gotten the left side injector plug installed, I let loose a loud GDMFSOB, unplugged the left and boxed it back up. JFC am I POed. How in the name of all that is holy do you get at those hard to reach connectors? Any hints.

I'll go with sour grapes defense. My dealer would have seen it during my 3000 mile service and invalidated my warranty.

My green filter is due in tomorrow. I pray that install goes better.

So...poll...do I say eff it and return the JBPro? Save it for a rainy day? Sell it on eBay?

Spyder Garage

Wink

Really sorry to read of your challenges. Even with a wide option of tools I too took 2+ hours to get it done.

Not to add to your issue... I never got to the RT Air cleaner but I can say the RSS was a P.I.T.A..

Anyway... I was finally successful with the last injector because I have a 16" ish long pair of 3"+ needle nose pliers that are bent ever so slightly. Not 45deg but not straight either. Because they had such a long throat (Jaws) I could use them to release the lock and pull out the injector plug. That said. I remember having to work through the frame and wanting the 16" pliers to be 24" just so I could work them easier

Everyone has a limit. But I can say the JB Pro is worth every penny to me.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

The dealer cannot invalidate your warranty because you installed an accessory, such as the Juice Box. This is Federal law (Magnuson-Moss Act). In case of a failure that was caused, or contributed to, by the accessory or the installation, they can refuse to honor the warranty for that failure, but they cannot invalidate the entire warranty just because you hooked up a Juice Box.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The dealer cannot invalidate your warranty because you installed an accessory, such as the Juice Box. This is Federal law (Magnuson-Moss Act). In case of a failure that was caused, or contributed to, by the accessory or the installation, they can refuse to honor the warranty for that failure, but they cannot invalidate the entire warranty just because you hooked up a Juice Box.
    How about the Aerocharge Turbo?
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    How about the Aerocharge Turbo?
    Well, it won't affect the warranty on your turn signals...LOL.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    Really sorry to read of your challenges. Even with a wide option of tools I too took 2+ hours to get it done.

Not to add to your issue... I never got to the RT Air cleaner but I can say the RSS was a P.I.T.A..

Anyway... I was finally successful with the last injector because I have a 16" ish long pair of 3"+ needle nose pliers that are bent ever so slightly. Not 45deg but not straight either. Because they had such a long throat (Jaws) I could use them to release the lock and pull out the injector plug. That said. I remember having to work through the frame and wanting the 16" pliers to be 24" just so I could work them easier

Everyone has a limit. But I can say the JB Pro is worth every penny to me.
    I'am sure you could find those pliers at a NAPA or sears store i never took an airbox out of an rt but i'am sure if you could it would be alot easier. i know i took mine out on a rs se5 then installed the jb pro of coarse i did not put the box back in i have the kewlmetal air cleaner now.

Roger

Spyder Garage

In the few months I have owned my RT, I found it to be one of the most tedious machines to work on ever made! but, after a while I have learned that with lots of patience it gets easier. Recently when I installed the JB Pro & Green Filter it took me several hours of slow, steady work and I didnt have the difficulties you mention. Of course, being a senior citizen does help with patience and working slowly!
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by cjackg; 04-08-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

AMEN! I got it in! I had a pair of Kelly forceps laying around (didn't even know I borrowed these from work) and did the job perfectly! Thanks for the curved tip plier tip!

It was pretty smooth sailing after that. Grounding wire was a bit of a bear. Thank goodness there was an appropriate hex in the under seat tool kit, because nothing I had fit.

Loaded up two power commander maps, just to have them programmed in as well.

Now here's something weird. When I got to the positap portion of the install, the wire already looked like it was poked. My ride was new. I think it had 2 miles on it in the showroom. Maybe 7-10 at delivery (making sure it worked OK they told me....yeah right). Any diagnostic reason this wire would have been tapped? I can't imagine even an unscrupulous dealer bothering to take the time to hook up a fuel management computer for a short ride. Heck...putting it in and taking it out would have between sale and delivery would have been a minor miracle.

Thanks fig it's in. I hope it treats me well on the stocker muffler, stocker filter setting. Plus I'm all set if I ever go with an aftermarket muffler.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm way open to advice on setting suggestions and the like if anyone has any.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mishapman View Post
    I'm way open to advice on setting suggestions and the like if anyone has any.
    Test it first on the ZeroMap setting to confirm everything is working fine, then switch to the TBR map for Stk pipe/filter. I sure would connect a laptop with TopTune to the JB Pro to verify the settings and then use it anytime I made any changes. Moving the dials without TopTune is purely guesswork, Using Toptune, you can make small & precise adjustments.
    Keep us posted on how the performance & tuning develops.
    Jack
    Last edited by cjackg; 04-08-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Spyder Garage

Wink

Wooooo Whooooo! Glad the angled pliers trick worked for you as well.

As mentioned above, that is the best way to get the JB dialed in...

When you do go to a new exhaust on your RT.... It is VERY easy to switch/change compared to what you just went through. And I vote for the Two Brother Titanium single pipe for the RT. Sexy sound and quality product.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since I have all of the mechanical aptitude of a hamster I've got to say that now you've got me terrified...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Don't be afraid Bob. Seemed like a good night's sleep may have been very helpful with the install as well. If *I* can do it, ANYONE can do it. I am TERRIBLE at mechanical stuff.

When I had it hooked up to Top Tune, I did find what I thought to be zero points were actually a tick off. Super easy to put the dials to actual zero when hooked up to the program.

Off to Autozone for some zip ties to clean things up a big and will head out for a quick ride before putting all the tupperware back on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the vote of confidence; but I'm STILL the guy who can't open
    a jar of peanut butter without getting cut or making a mess that gets the Missus to sqealing like a pig with her tail caught under a gate!
    So how doyou like the new parts? Give us all a post-teardown impression soon please!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So I got a small ride in around town. I think I like the new addition.

I say "think" because I want the darned thing to work after all the trouble it's given me. There may be some self fulfilling prophecy going on. Only fair to admit that. That said, it feels like the throttle is smoother. It feels like when I roll on throttle the acceleration glides on rather than jumps in. And when I grab a hand full of throttle there is go to go with it, rather than a blip of a pause before hammering on. I may be as batty as Charlie Sheen, but I think there is a nice difference.

I'm going to try to rip up to Mount Charleston tomorrow. That'll give me highway speeds and back road observations. More to follow.

Spyder Garage

.....I may be as batty as Charlie Sheen,.....
    Say it isn't so!!!
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am real glad to hear that at least the initial impressions are positive!

Spyder Garage

Smile

I'am glad you stuck with it and giving it a fair shake down let us know.

Roger

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Roger,
    Have the roads cleared up enough down in your neck of the woods to log some seat time yet? We're still buried up here!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

First fuel up post JBPro... I lost a little under 2 mpg off my average. Very likely due to me "testing" it off the line...a lot. Still liking it.

So since I am completely clueless to the mechanics of how this thing works, but very much wanting to see what the muffler setting does (it's setting two, I'm thinking it's twice as good as setting one hahahaha), what is the potential risk to the bike using the muffler setting without an aftermarket muffler?

...Bob...you know you want one...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

what is the potential risk to the bike using the muffler setting without an aftermarket muffler?

...Bob...you know you want one...
    She will run a little rich using a diferent map without the mods. As far as risk, maybe a fouled plug if its too rich and you are running in a lot of stop and go traffic.

Spyder Garage

Default To Juice or not to Juice

I have a question for you Techies.
    I have a 2010 RT SM5. I put 18,000 miles on it last year and got an average fuel consumption figure of about 28mpg. In October I had the dealer install a Two Brothers Single muffler and immediately noticed an increase in Horse Power. Unfortunately I also got a decrease in fuel economy and am now running at about 20mpg (I haven't had the opportunity to really test milage because of the weather here in Ohio but it is significantly less).

My question is would it behoove me to install a Juice Box Pro in order to lean the mixture and get back some of the fuel economy that I lost? Or will I get another increase in HP and get even worse fuel economy.

At present, my SUV gets better milage than my Spyder.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hey Roger,
    Have the roads cleared up enough down in your neck of the woods to log some seat time yet? We're still buried up here!
    Sorry bob it took me so long 6 days later all is good here good weather to ride?

Roger

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    I have a question for you Techies.
    I have a 2010 RT SM5. I put 18,000 miles on it last year and got an average fuel consumption figure of about 28mpg. In October I had the dealer install a Two Brothers Single muffler and immediately noticed an increase in Horse Power. Unfortunately I also got a decrease in fuel economy and am now running at about 20mpg (I haven't had the opportunity to really test milage because of the weather here in Ohio but it is significantly less).
    That sounds like a pretty extreme change in mpg. Did your driving habits change much when you put on the muffler ? Sure doesnt seem right....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    That sounds like a pretty extreme change in mpg. Did your driving habits change much when you put on the muffler ? Sure doesnt seem right....
    My driving habits have not changed although during the summer most of my driving was of the highway-type. So far this year I have been only to do some city riding. I will try to get onto the highway today and see what the figure really is. But I will guarantee that it is worse.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar