Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I've got the change down to $64. THe purpose of this post is not to brag but to show what money can be saved with some planning and elbow grease.

I had set myself up to be able to do everything at that price and do it fast. I have swapped out the OEM drain plugs for the ones from GoldPlug. Both have very strong magnets in them and can be taken off with a single 17mm socket. (Thanks to Rando for finding these):

Crankcase: MP-01 and Oil reservoir: MP-02

I have found Amsoil 10-30w for $37 a gallon for cycles after taxes. Add the extra 1/2 quart needed, round up and oil cost me a total right at $46 a change. That is cheaper than retail at The Andersons. Add oil filter kit from Ken rounding up put it at $18 so that is a grand total of $64

17,500+ miles, just did my own oil change today (that makes 4 on my own plus the dealers required at 600 miles..5 total). Using Amsoil and with the blessing of my dealer I stretch the miles to right around 5k between changes. Oil changes do not have to be overly expensive nor labor intensive...at least on the RS models.

Yes I realize this is under the RT forum so labor involved will be more intensive..more tupperware.
    Last edited by pierrelogic; 03-20-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer cost

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    I remove 2 panels...the long one that mounts to the saddlebags and the black one under it. I do not remove the mirrors and any other plastic panel. After the first oil change, I have set up the lower plastic plate to where I have to only remove the 2 bolts off the frame. I am not a mechanic or technician, but I have taken care of my motorcycles for over 40 years. If it's something I can't do the shop gets it (that usually means something broke). I do a lot of things no Spydr owner would do, but I am not paranoid about any warranty. If I get to that bridge, then I will cross it.
    Seems like the range of costs for services on the Spyder need to addressed by BRP. I don't see any reason for one dealer to charge $150 and another over $300. Just my thoughts, and mine only.
    Yep, where I am they want 325.00 for oil change. I think I could get a Cadillac oil change for less. Is any one monitoring what the dealer's can charge?

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Default Gold Plugs

I to have the 2 Gold Plug drain bolts and think they are much better then the OEM plugs. To bad the tranny fluid is part of the engine oil or we could all go a lot farther between changes. The sludge or should I say metal fillings are coming from the tranny, not the engine. I find very little black paste so to speak on my magnets and do wonder if it would hurt to go more then 3,000 miles between oil changes? Our filters are high flow and should not plug up under normal circumstances and the magnets are both doing their jobs as well so why not?

Spyder Garage

I am about ready for my 2nd oil change. I will be doing it myself. Where do you get the better magnetic oil plugs?
    Thanks
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

These are the ones i use... http://drainplugmagnets.com/canamspyder.php
    Last edited by spyder3; 06-26-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: I didn't mis-remember
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

I went with these. Less expensive. You will need the MP-01 and MP-02.

http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/PlugFinder/motorcycle.php
    Last edited by Rando; 06-26-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Spyder Garage

Angry oil change

Here in alabama my local dealer is big#1 motor sports in b'ham my first oil change(600)miles cost me $448.00 it took them less than 3hrs. to do 2nd oil change I did my self cost less than $100.00 thats with $50.00 for ramps to pull up on. total time to change oil 30 mins or less. after I asked why oil change was so high I couldn't get answer. next time i'm at shop I see new price oil change only $59.95 plus oil an filter but 600 mile an other service $409.00 plus tax. still to high for me.
    my wife and I on our 2011 spyder-rt-L'IL Red

Spyder Garage

I found this old thread. I had my oil changed last week by a dealership in Houma, La. I have 25k on my RT-SE5, it was 191.00 out the door. It seems like it is a different price everytime I get it changed.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just changed my oil and filter over the weekend. Only removed the 1st panel to add oil to the tank. The splash pan was removed a long time ago. I reach under and do all the work with a floorjack. It takes me less than 30min from start to finish. $60.00 in parts..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slybird View Post
    I just had my second oil-change for my RT-S at a little over 6K miles and it ran $250.

You are are wasting your money there is no way our new oils will break down in less than 10-15,000 miles with the light service these engines have.

The dealers have us programmed us like idiots to waste good oil. With the crappy oil we had 10 years ago we changed oil at 10k miles. Oil has improved and we're doing a oil change at 600 miles then 3000 miles WTF

Use s your heads guys
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEW OILS ARE MUCH BETTER

Quote Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
    You are are wasting your money there is no way our new oils will break down in less than 10-15,000 miles with the light service these engines have.

The dealers have us programmed us like idiots to waste good oil. With the crappy oil we had 10 years ago we changed oil at 10k miles. Oil has improved and we're doing a oil change at 600 miles then 3000 miles WTF

Use s your heads guys
    Folks here do use their heads ..... Tests at Independent Labs show that even the best FULL SYNTHETIC Oils are breaking down at about 5000 miles ....... Oils used for ENGINE LUBRICATION ONLY will last much, much longer than Oils used to also lubricate the TRANSMISSION .....Like they do in our Spyders .....this is FACT , not my opinion ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Folks here do use their heads ..... Tests at Independent Labs show that even the best FULL SYNTHETIC Oils are breaking down at about 5000 miles ....... Oils used for ENGINE LUBRICATION ONLY will last much, much longer than Oils used to also lubricate the TRANSMISSION .....Like they do in our Spyders .....this is FACT , not my opinion ...... Mike
    The problem is; "It's All fake news" the independent labs are about as crooked and fake as our National News agencies. Those pencil heads in the labs are all paid to let the public know exactly what will help line the pockets of the Gas & Oil companies. Don't you feel paying $4-5 a gallon for gas for years pretty much prove they are all thieves.

Years ago the engine tolerances and the quality of oil were poor compared to the standards of today and we went 10-12 K miles between changes. The new engines are built far more precise and the oils are 10 fold better, so it makes no sense and is a waste of money and oil changing your oil in less than 10,000 miles.

If you want to waste money you can Paypal me!

Regards - Mike
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

Lets just say there are many that do not believe in your conspiracy theories. We have seen the thinning of the oil from extreme shear stress causing viscosity breakdown. Yes you need a lab to get the actual numbers but its plain to see in the oil itself after 5k miles. You do not need a lab to SEE it.

Even great oils do not last long in combined engine / trans sumps.

Modern synthetic oils do last longer. Older design conventional lubricants cant make it nearly as far in these bikes.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cognac View Post
    My red RT-S is somewhere in the US, on the way to Texas. I am wondering what different dealers charge for an oil change (includeing all gaskets, etc) I am sure labor rates vary throughout the country, but just trying to get an idea. I am unable to get down on my knees and back without considerable trouble. It is hell getting old.
    $150 from my dealer for "annual service". Oil change and check of all of the things listed in the owners manual. This is a 2014 RT. I understand units with the 998 engine may cost more for oil changes.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

I just paid $148 plus tax for the service on Mushu. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Umm now I'm scared...

The salesman that sold me my brand new 2016 RTS said the oil change was at 3K miles. I just read here about a 600 mile oil change? OK OK I did not read the manual on this, just *assumed* the guy knew what he was talking about Now I am going out to get the manual!!

I do though have all the stuff - BahaRon kit, full synthetic oil with correct ratings, magnetic plug, 36mm socket, high quality big torx bits, etc. Is there something that the dealer does that I should re-consider paying $300 for them to do the first oil change? Very comfortable doing it myself.

I am almost at the 2000 mile mark, was going to change oil this week. Local dealer does not strike me as doing a lot of extra checks. Took then 5 hours to track down a loose plug going to the air bag pump (switch did not work when I picked up the bike). Yay or nay?

Thanks,
    Steve

Spyder Garage

This cant be right....thats almost how much my stealer charged for an oil change...note this is amazon Canada
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    This cant be right....thats almost how much my stealer charged for an oil change...note this is amazon Canada
    I can do you a lot better with an an oil change kit. And this is with Amsoil. A true fully synthetic lubricant. Much superior to the BRP product. Typically my kit runs around $80.00 each if you purchase enough for 2 oil services. If you're going to use it anyway, it's a savings over purchasing them 1 at a time. This is for US customers. It's higher in Canada, as most things are. But not nearly this high.

I am more than happy to give you a price quote. Then, at least you'll have an option to compare to.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-27-2019 at 10:09 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Capt. Ron, are you the gent that helped me at the Aero meet a few years ago at Townsend Tn? I had the black/ silver 750 Honda. I had laid her down at the parking lot , Newfound Gap. Didn’t ride for a few. My ride now, RTL,SE6 2015. I purchased (traded) a 2011 in for the RT last Nov. 21. The dealer at Hendersonville, NC ( where traded) gets$350 for o/c. I do it myself! Hope you well & happy. I’m now 87, still riding. D-Daddy
    At present waiting on an apt. At Greenville, Tn. BLS failure, blows fuses.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by D-Daddy View Post
    Capt. Ron, are you the gent that helped me at the Aero meet a few years ago at Townsend Tn? I had the black/ silver 750 Honda. I had laid her down at the parking lot , Newfound Gap. Didn’t ride for a few. My ride now, RTL,SE6 2015. I purchased (traded) a 2011 in for the RT last Nov. 21. The dealer at Hendersonville, NC ( where traded) gets$350 for o/c. I do it myself! Hope you well & happy. I’m now 87, still riding. D-Daddy
    At present waiting on an apt. At Greenville, Tn. BLS failure, blows fuses.
    I am afraid I am not the one who helped you in Townsend, TN. Sorry.

I do not believe there is a Greenville, TN. There is a Greeneville, TN. That is where I live. If you get the chance, stop by the shop. Love to meet you.

301 S. Main St.
    Greeneville, TN 37743

Glad to hear you're doing so well. Have a Great Weekend!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Anybody know what happened to Mr White the original poster?

Spyder Garage

The last time he was here was in 2021. He lists himself as 89, so who knows? Why don't you send him a PM, see if he responds?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-02-2022 at 01:04 AM. Reason: 89,so... - 89, so... so text to talk s/ware can read... ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ReRose View Post
    Anybody know what happened to Mr White the original poster?
    Apparently he still exists. A Google search didn't come up with any obituaries or death notices for him. Other than that I didn't find any other current info. He hasn't touched his FB page for two years and there is really nothing on it about him.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I win! $420 at my local dealer for an oil change. ($660 for an alignment) Needless to say, I'll be doing my own oil changes in the future.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicEd View Post
    I win! $420 at my local dealer for an oil change. ($660 for an alignment) Needless to say, I'll be doing my own oil changes in the future.
    That is ridiculous to say the least!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0