Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Cost of Oil Change

My red RT-S is somewhere in the US, on the way to Texas. I am wondering what different dealers charge for an oil change (includeing all gaskets, etc) I am sure labor rates vary throughout the country, but just trying to get an idea. I am unable to get down on my knees and back without considerable trouble. It is hell getting old.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
    My red RT-S is somewhere in the US, on the way to Texas. I am wondering what different dealers charge for an oil change (includeing all gaskets, etc) I am sure labor rates vary throughout the country, but just trying to get an idea. I am unable to get down on my knees and back without considerable trouble. It is hell getting old.

First oil change, 250 to 350 and IF they do it by the numbers closer to 350, And it's worth it consideing the time it takes.[by the numbers]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

$150 plus tax. However, most places here in the ArkLaMiss seem to be charging $250-300.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

louis powersports told me 100-110 for an oil change.

Spyder Garage

Wink

Try not to look at the first oil change costs... There is about 12-15 (Have the list packed away right now) other critical items they check and are required during the first oil change @ 600 miles.

That said. Just straight oil/filter(s if SE5) runs $210-$250 depending on what the dealer has chosen to make money off of. You returning to buy more "Stuff" or service.

Quite a few folks do their own for about $40 per change plus oil choice. I figure it is nice to do it ourselves for the knowledge gained of our rides... But also ask myself what is my time worth and I want my dealer to be here for many years...

So I will share the responsibility... The "Big" checkups that require BRP tools and computers (cheaper for the oils change this way as all the Tupperware is already off and they can only charge that time once per visit) and I will do the rest
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 03-09-2011 at 08:28 PM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've already been through the first oil change and have a quote for my next one at only $85.00 or so...
    The break-in service was done where I bought the Spyder (Rusty Palmer's in Honesdale, PA) and the quote was from Arctic Adventures in Rosendale, NY
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bill Stannard

South Texas Suzuki ,Has one of the Best Spyder Mechanics in the U.S. His name is Bruce, and with all the updates, The $220.00 is well worth it.

Bill Stannard
    San Antonio,Texas
    Last edited by Questions; 03-20-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Spelling

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bill Stannard;296400]South Texas Suzuki ,Has one of the Best Spyder Mechanics in the U.S. His name is Bruce, and with all the updates, The $220.00 is well worth it.

Bill Stannard
    San Antonio,Texas

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[quote=Bill Stannard;296402]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stannard View Post
    South Texas Suzuki ,Has one of the Best Spyder Mechanics in the U.S. His name is Bruce, and with all the updates, The $220.00 is well worth it.

Bill Stannard
    San Antonio,Texas
    Bill, if you are interested in the Texas Trike Reunion in Kerrville April 14-16, email me at scoot62@aol.com with Reunion in the subject line.

I agree with you South Texas Suzuki statement. They run the latest computer upgrade and check a number of things for the price they charge. They give 10% off if military or military retired. They are a quality operation....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cognac View Post
    $150 from my dealer for "annual service". Oil change and check of all of the things listed in the owners manual. This is a 2014 RT. I understand units with the 998 engine may cost more for oil changes.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

I just paid $148 plus tax for the service on Mushu. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Anybody know what happened to Mr White the original poster?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ReRose View Post
    Anybody know what happened to Mr White the original poster?
    Apparently he still exists. A Google search didn't come up with any obituaries or death notices for him. Other than that I didn't find any other current info. He hasn't touched his FB page for two years and there is really nothing on it about him.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The last time he was here was in 2021. He lists himself as 89, so who knows? Why don't you send him a PM, see if he responds?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-02-2022 at 01:04 AM. Reason: 89,so... - 89, so... so text to talk s/ware can read... ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I win! $420 at my local dealer for an oil change. ($660 for an alignment) Needless to say, I'll be doing my own oil changes in the future.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicEd View Post
    I win! $420 at my local dealer for an oil change. ($660 for an alignment) Needless to say, I'll be doing my own oil changes in the future.
    That is ridiculous to say the least!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

We just paid $765 for both of our 2020 RT's, it was for the 3k mile service and took aprox 2.5 or so each. Life Styles Honda in Mount Vernon, WA. They we very nice and it was convenient to be able get'r done on a Saturday.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAMJAM View Post
    We just paid $765 for both of our 2020 RT's, it was for the 3k mile service and took aprox 2.5 or so each. Life Styles Honda in Mount Vernon, WA. They we very nice and it was convenient to be able get'r done on a Saturday.
    It seems that I was in the wrong side of the repair business. When I had my repair shop, I would service a couple of 18 wheelers for less than that including oil and all of the filters (except the air filter). Most of them took at least 44 qts of oil and 3 - 4 filters each.

I should have worked on motorcycles, I guess.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    It seems that I was in the wrong side of the repair business. When I had my repair shop, I would service a couple of 18 wheelers for less than that including oil and all of the filters (except the air filter). Most of them took at least 44 qts of oil and 3 - 4 filters each.

I should have worked on motorcycles, I guess.
    Tell me about it, as a small engine mechanic 30 plus years ago I was told "there ain't no money in turnin' wrenches".. Should have looked at what I was wrenching on!

Spyder Garage

I do it myself;
    Oil change kit from Amazon for ~$130 and hour of my time...But I dont have to worry if some 18 year old apprentice will tighten my drain bolts to their welding point

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAMJAM View Post
    What could they possibly do that takes them 2.5 hours?
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    What could they possibly do that takes them 2.5 hours?
    Trying to get out the stripped drain plug they stripped out when they changed the oil last time

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NateNC View Post
    Trying to get out the stripped drain plug they stripped out when they changed the oil last time
    I HOPE they didn't charge you for their screw-up .......... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NateNC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I HOPE they didn't charge you for their screw-up .......... Mike
    I think that was a tongue-in-cheek rhetorical question. Think sarcasm and humor!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Ya nailed it. Some "tech" whose favorite tool is not an inch pound wrench but a rattle gun aint getting anywhere my rides.

Im retired and do sort a few other Blokes rides from time to time. I dont charge out my workshop time for money. However Single Malt Whiskey or Speights Gold Medal Draft Beer seems to be a popular currency. Any parts required are fitted at cost.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 10-13-2022 at 04:50 PM.