Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Ron View Post
    There is a dealer in Pearl, near Miskelly Furniture Store. However, they are much higher for services. Additionally, when I was shopping for my Spyder, they told me that they will charge a 10% surcharge on any services for bikes not purchased at their store. I get my services done in West Monroe, LA at the House of Cycles 318-362-1366 on 410 Downing Pines Rd.
    Dealers like this are soon history. They think their policies will force more sales, when in effect, they actullay reduce sales, in addition to reducing the amount of service business. Very sad! Turning people off is never good business. The smart dealer goes out of his way to provide both sales and service..to anyone and everyone.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Dealers like this are soon history. They think their policies will force more sales, when in effect, they actullay reduce sales, in addition to reducing the amount of service business. Very sad! Turning people off is never good business. The smart dealer goes out of his way to provide both sales and service..to anyone and everyone.
    Having work for a Honda dealer years ago, I agree totally. We were a small hole-in-wall operation in Lafayette, LA. The dealer is now the largest single line, Honda, in the South, if not the nation. He never turned down any Honda business. Even if someone had purchased their Honda from across town, he would work on them. A successful dealership is a total dealership...no BS, straight talk and never running down your competition. And NEVER scalping your customers.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

I agree... I was thinking of stopping by and check their inventory but if they are going to treat people like that, I'm not thinking of stopping there no more!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Note to self. Design a bike that will need the engine to be removed when it needs an oil change. Supply fee = $20, Labor = $2,000
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    (SIGH)

Yes Scotty I know.

I've done it a number of times.

As one can clearly see by the procedure you kindly posted, the mirror, wind deflector and top panel must be removed before the middle panel.

Dudley said in post #18 of this thread he managed to take the middle panel off without removing the top panel (along with mirrors,wind deflector and etc) and my question was how did he do it?

Dudley answered me with a telephone number.
    This may help.

-Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    (SIGH)

Yes Scotty I know.

I've done it a number of times.

As one can clearly see by the procedure you kindly posted, the mirror, wind deflector and top panel must be removed before the middle panel.

Dudley said in post #18 of this thread he managed to take the middle panel off without removing the top panel (along with mirrors,wind deflector and etc) and my question was how did he do it?

Dudley answered me with a telephone number.
    I gave you my phone number because it's a lot easier to explain that way. I can do it, so can anyone. It's very simple. I have never removed my mirrors or deflectors. If anyone wants to know how, all they have to do is call.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got a nice reply from Lamonster when I asked about doing it myself on her bike but at age 72 I would have a major problem getting down low enough to access everything on her machine.

I can take my Gold Wing almost anywhere for service but I think the Can Am dealer is probably our best bet due to the sophistication of this machine and the other things the dealer can (or should) be checking on when it comes in for servicing.

Rick Rae

Rick, you have the same trouble as I do. Getting down...and then getting up!!...I have a BAD right knee and had it operated on after I got back from Viet Nam in '70....it helped a lot, but it still does not work real well. I think (know) I will just take my RT to my dealer, pay the $198 and enjoy....All I need to do is break a panel or tabs, etc and the $$ I save will be gone. Ha ha, it is hell getting old.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
    I got a nice reply from Lamonster when I asked about doing it myself on her bike but at age 72 I would have a major problem getting down low enough to access everything on her machine.

I can take my Gold Wing almost anywhere for service but I think the Can Am dealer is probably our best bet due to the sophistication of this machine and the other things the dealer can (or should) be checking on when it comes in for servicing.

Rick Rae

Rick, you have the same trouble as I do. Getting down...and then getting up!!...I have a BAD right knee and had it operated on after I got back from Viet Nam in '70....it helped a lot, but it still does not work real well. I think (know) I will just take my RT to my dealer, pay the $198 and enjoy....All I need to do is break a panel or tabs, etc and the $$ I save will be gone. Ha ha, it is hell getting old.
    George,

If we time it out just right, we can ride down to Lytle together for our oil changes after you get your .. BTW, I am going down tomorrow morning to have the instrument cluster changed out and pick up a couple of jackets... wanna go?
    $Bill
    '10 Orbital Blue RT-S SE5
    '15 White/Black F3S SE6
    '13 Victory Cross Country Blacked Out - TRADED
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

USAF 1963-1987, US Fed Courts 1987-2010
    Retired 2010-?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
    Amazing! I had my first knee done in 1970, too. It eventually wore out, and wore down the bones, but I kept going. Even after the arthroscopic surgery on the other knee a few years back (much better!), I struggled with the worn down knee, while my surgeon gave up begging me to have it replaced, and just laughed at me instead. To do my oil changes and stuff, I just laid down on the floor. We won't talk about the 5-10 minutes to get up each time, looking like a beached whale in the process. In late 2009 I had enough, and had a partial knee replacement. Took a while to heal, but I climb around pretty well again. I still sit on the floor instead of kneel, but I no longer resemble that beachcombing whale. I hope I never get old...the mileage is hard enough to cope with!
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Getting old ain't a lot of fun... but it beats the alternative!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    My Lexus dealer is less than $130 per hour. That's crazy. No oil change of any sort should cost over $50. IMO
    If you used your driveway and bought the parts and oil yourself , it would cost you over $ 75.00 before you even started taking a side panel off. The dealer is not getting rich at $ 200.00. Now , skip all the checks and adjustments it can be done for less. You get what you pay for.
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker2011 View Post
    If you used your driveway and bought the parts and oil yourself , it would cost you over $ 75.00 before you even started taking a side panel off. The dealer is not getting rich at $ 200.00. Now , skip all the checks and adjustments it can be done for less. You get what you pay for.
    Must be more expensive where you are. I am pretty sure dealers aren't putting in the synthetic stuff. $15 bucks for the OEM filter. Reuse all of the washers and o-rings unless you fubar's it. $11 per qt. of Royal Purple synthetic motor oil for M/C. That's $60 bucks and the staisfaction of a job done right. Easily under $50 if using some blended or regular stuff. There is no way I am going to pay $130 for some high school kid unscrewing the tupperware.
    Last edited by M2Wild; 03-10-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

George,

If we time it out just right, we can ride down to Lytle together for our oil changes after you get your .. BTW, I am going down tomorrow morning to have the instrument cluster changed out and pick up a couple of jackets... wanna go?

Bill, I would love to, but I am having some remodeling work done and need to keep my eye on them. There is a question on what to do about every ten minutes. Kelley said she got an invoice on my trike and it should be here soon....later George

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Took my Honda (car) in for an oil change today cost $40. At the end of the month I will take the Spyder in for its second oil change at 3000 miles. I think it is a complete rip off to be charging anyone anymore than $125 - $150 for the 3000 mile (still seems to much) service - period! I do not care who the dealer is or what State it's in or how long it takes to remove/replace the pieces. Times are changing for everyone - the hourly labor rates as have been posted are both excessive and ridiculous and need to change with the times. Just my $125 - $150 worth.....which apparently is not worth what it used to be.

Spyder Garage

I agree, I purchased my RT in Arizona and them moved back to Michigan a month later. The local dealer here is DEE Marine. They have taken super care of me even though I purchased the machine else where.

My 600 mile cost me $155.38!!!! They also have done the Clutch & DPS recalls and replaced a defective electronic cluster.

I have only praise for their work!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My feeling is that BRP should do the first oil change and 600 mile service for free. 600 miles is nothing, I had nearly two hundred just doing the round trip to and from the dealer. Most new cars and trucks that I've bought that was the case; as well as one new boat.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Ron View Post
    My feeling is that BRP should do the first oil change and 600 mile service for free. 600 miles is nothing, I had nearly two hundred just doing the round trip to and from the dealer. Most new cars and trucks that I've bought that was the case; as well as one new boat.
    All of the local San Antonio dealers charge big bucks for the 600. When I bought my Wing, all they did was change the filter and oil and it was over $100 in 2001 when I bought it. Much higher now.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

If the oil change and service is done to spec, there are $42 worth of parts (@ MSRP) involved for the first service on an SE5. Of course the O-rings and copper washers can often be reused, reducing that slightly, but there are still $25 worth of filters. Oil will add another $30-$60 depending on the dealer's prices and the oil selected. Toss in 2-2.5 hours labor, for an RT-SE5 600 mile service, at your dealer's going rate, and you are usually going to spend upwards of $200-$250. Costs for an SM5 or for the RS model would be somewhat less (fewer parts and less labor). Those that have gotten out for less than $200 (or $100 ) have gotten a bargain...or the maintenance tasks have been shortcut.
    I have been looking for a dealer since NJax Motorsports went under. Thought I found one in Tifton, GA (125 mi) but they have not had any oil filters for over 6 weeks. I gave up on them. Needed service now.
    I found out that there was a new dealer in Yulee, FL (45 mi). I was so excited to have a dealer close, I made an appointment on the phone for my 3000 mi service, w/o asking the cost.
    Went in the next morning at 9:30. They were done in 3 hours and I was presented with a bill for $343.55. Some shock involved!
    Parts- $66.93; Labor- $237.50 (2.5 hr); Shop supplies- $16.63; Tax- $22.49
    I have no idea if they did anything more than change the oil or not. No one there seemed to have any Spyder experience, including the service Mgr. I’m hoping the tech knew more about what he was doing than everyone else there. I haven’t noticed any leaks yet!
    Try them out, but fill your wallet before you go.
    --
    Phil

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you criticize them, you are a mile away and have their shoes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bill Stannard

South Texas Suzuki ,Has one of the Best Spyder Mechanics in the U.S. His name is Bruce, and with all the updates, The $220.00 is well worth it.

Bill Stannard
    San Antonio,Texas
    Last edited by Questions; 03-20-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Spelling

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bill Stannard;296400]South Texas Suzuki ,Has one of the Best Spyder Mechanics in the U.S. His name is Bruce, and with all the updates, The $220.00 is well worth it.

Bill Stannard
    San Antonio,Texas

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by phillipbj View Post
    I have been looking for a dealer since NJax Motorsports went under. Thought I found one in Tifton, GA (125 mi) but they have not had any oil filters for over 6 weeks. I gave up on them. Needed service now.
    I found out that there was a new dealer in Yulee, FL (45 mi). I was so excited to have a dealer close, I made an appointment on the phone for my 3000 mi service, w/o asking the cost.
    Went in the next morning at 9:30. They were done in 3 hours and I was presented with a bill for $343.55. Some shock involved!
    Parts- $66.93; Labor- $237.50 (2.5 hr); Shop supplies- $16.63; Tax- $22.49
    I have no idea if they did anything more than change the oil or not. No one there seemed to have any Spyder experience, including the service Mgr. I’m hoping the tech knew more about what he was doing than everyone else there. I haven’t noticed any leaks yet!
    Try them out, but fill your wallet before you go.
    $95 an hour. Who's working their, retired NASA engineers.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[quote=Bill Stannard;296402]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stannard View Post
    South Texas Suzuki ,Has one of the Best Spyder Mechanics in the U.S. His name is Bruce, and with all the updates, The $220.00 is well worth it.

Bill Stannard
    San Antonio,Texas
    Bill, if you are interested in the Texas Trike Reunion in Kerrville April 14-16, email me at scoot62@aol.com with Reunion in the subject line.

I agree with you South Texas Suzuki statement. They run the latest computer upgrade and check a number of things for the price they charge. They give 10% off if military or military retired. They are a quality operation....

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    $95 an hour. Who's working their, retired NASA engineers.
    The rate per hour has noting to do with the skill/knowledge of the technician. If your dealer charges less, consider yourself lucky.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by phillipbj View Post
    ... but they have not had any oil filters for over 6 weeks. I gave up on them. Needed service now..
    Any dealer who can't keep a simple oil filter in stock should not be trusted with servicing your $20K+ bike .... plain and simple. Get the stuff online from one of the sponsor here and do it yourself. Save some hard earned dollars and put it towards gas so you will be way ahead the game when the gas gets to $5 a gallon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    The rate per hour has noting to do with the skill/knowledge of the technician. If your dealer charges less, consider yourself lucky.
    Another reason I'm happy to live in Arizona....
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires