Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

We just paid $765 for both of our 2020 RT's, it was for the 3k mile service and took aprox 2.5 or so each. Life Styles Honda in Mount Vernon, WA. They we very nice and it was convenient to be able get'r done on a Saturday.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAMJAM View Post
    We just paid $765 for both of our 2020 RT's, it was for the 3k mile service and took aprox 2.5 or so each. Life Styles Honda in Mount Vernon, WA. They we very nice and it was convenient to be able get'r done on a Saturday.
    It seems that I was in the wrong side of the repair business. When I had my repair shop, I would service a couple of 18 wheelers for less than that including oil and all of the filters (except the air filter). Most of them took at least 44 qts of oil and 3 - 4 filters each.

I should have worked on motorcycles, I guess.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    It seems that I was in the wrong side of the repair business. When I had my repair shop, I would service a couple of 18 wheelers for less than that including oil and all of the filters (except the air filter). Most of them took at least 44 qts of oil and 3 - 4 filters each.

I should have worked on motorcycles, I guess.
    Tell me about it, as a small engine mechanic 30 plus years ago I was told "there ain't no money in turnin' wrenches".. Should have looked at what I was wrenching on!

Spyder Garage

I do it myself;
    Oil change kit from Amazon for ~$130 and hour of my time...But I dont have to worry if some 18 year old apprentice will tighten my drain bolts to their welding point

Spyder Garage

Ya nailed it. Some "tech" whose favorite tool is not an inch pound wrench but a rattle gun aint getting anywhere my rides.

Im retired and do sort a few other Blokes rides from time to time. I dont charge out my workshop time for money. However Single Malt Whiskey or Speights Gold Medal Draft Beer seems to be a popular currency. Any parts required are fitted at cost.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 10-13-2022 at 04:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default 2011 Spyder RT

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    My red RT-S is somewhere in the US, on the way to Texas. I am wondering what different dealers charge for an oil change (includeing all gaskets, etc) I am sure labor rates vary throughout the country, but just trying to get an idea. I am unable to get down on my knees and back without considerable trouble. It is hell getting old.
    I'm at RideNow in Arizona and am looking at $346, at 18,000 miles.
    2011 RT , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
    My red RT-S is somewhere in the US, on the way to Texas. I am wondering what different dealers charge for an oil change (includeing all gaskets, etc) I am sure labor rates vary throughout the country, but just trying to get an idea. I am unable to get down on my knees and back without considerable trouble. It is hell getting old.
    I'm at RideNow in Arizona and am looking at $346, at 18,000 miles.
    Just a note to remember Psyborg - it's always worth checking the posting date of anything you quote &/or reply to....

Not saying your post/reply isn't going to be helpful, but pointing out that you've just done a pretty significant bit of thread archeology in your post above, cos that post you quoted in it, the original post in this thread, was put up on the boards waaayy back in March 2011.

There's been a lot of discussion since, and there's a fair few more recent costings available as comparisons to yours.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

WOW!! I charge my friends $100. They bring whatever oil they want and the filter kit. I normally insist they also get the replacement drain plugs. Dealers around here are getting $350.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

My apologies. It won't happen again.
    2011 Spyder RT, Pearl White, 18,000+ miles
    2011 RT , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Dealers are ripping people off, then again if your going to pay those ridiculous Prices
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAMJAM View Post
    What could they possibly do that takes them 2.5 hours?
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    What could they possibly do that takes them 2.5 hours?
    Trying to get out the stripped drain plug they stripped out when they changed the oil last time

Spyder Garage

I just had an oil change done the other day at my dealership. The cost break down was $143.99 for the BRP oil kit and $138.00 labor, total $281.99. This price does NOT reflect taxes because I had other work done at the same time.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NateNC View Post
    Trying to get out the stripped drain plug they stripped out when they changed the oil last time
    I HOPE they didn't charge you for their screw-up .......... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NateNC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I HOPE they didn't charge you for their screw-up .......... Mike
    I think that was a tongue-in-cheek rhetorical question. Think sarcasm and humor!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I didn't like the $$ either, but we were told the first service (3K) needed to be performed at a certified dealer to satisfy the warranty requirements. I am not a master mechanic but I am fairly handy and have serviced our "bikes" over the years including but not limited to, big bore kits, carb rebuilds and suspension mods. Moving forward we will complete most of the maintenance "in house" until I'm unable to do so. I think the 2.5 hour thing was due to a communication issue. The scheduler mis-marked our appointment date, it was scheduled for the following Saturday per his calendar. So they squeezed us in and I'm guessing there was some juggling of appointments.
    Ken

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's what we do in our neck of the woods:

Periodically, a few of us in our Spyder group (Battle Born Spyders on Facebook) get together for what we call "Tech Session". We meet in the morning in someone's house, work on each other's bikes while B.S.ing about anything and everything, and go out for a ride later after all our work is done. It really is a great way to (1) learn about your bike, (2) get easy stuff like oil changes done with assistance, and (3) spend time with like-minded people and enjoy a little camaraderie. Because I'm the youngest in the group, I feel it is my duty to lay on the ground and do the harder work, because the older guys will take all day to get on/get off the ground, LOL.

Perhaps you can find a group that will do something like that.

And BTW, Magic Mirrors and a powered screwdriver/drill to remove the body panels make short work of oil changes.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lou . Our "tech" sessions are great and I learn something each time. Let's go skiing ⛷️/ boarding sometime soon.

Lew L.

BTW:

I ski like an old man--- just try to keep up.....
    Last edited by Lew L; 11-23-2022 at 02:24 PM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    Here's what we do in our neck of the woods:

Periodically, a few of us in our Spyder group (Battle Born Spyders on Facebook) get together for what we call "Tech Session". We meet in the morning in someone's house, work on each other's bikes while B.S.ing about anything and everything, and go out for a ride later after all our work is done. It really is a great way to (1) learn about your bike, (2) get easy stuff like oil changes done with assistance, and (3) spend time with like-minded people and enjoy a little camaraderie. Because I'm the youngest in the group, I feel it is my duty to lay on the ground and do the harder work, because the older guys will take all day to get on/get off the ground, LOL.

Perhaps you can find a group that will do something like that.

And BTW, Magic Mirrors and a powered screwdriver/drill to remove the body panels make short work of oil changes.
    Good information even though the post you replied to is 11 years old! I have my doubts Mr. White will see your comment. He only posted twice in 2021 and none in 2022. I tried finding more info on him a few months ago. Even his Facebook page hadn't been updated in years, I think it was. But he must still be around. I found no obits for him anywhere!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Thanks Lou . Our "tech" sessions are great and I learn something each time. Let's go skiing ⛷️/ boarding sometime soon.

Lew L.

BTW:

I ski like an old man--- just try to keep up.....
    I usually go up on Fridays. I'm waiting for the whole mountain to open and for the crowds to decrease a bit. However, I'll let you know when I'm ready to carve some turns with you.

(Must be nice to be retired ....)

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Good information even though the post you replied to is 11 years old! I have my doubts Mr. White will see your comment. He only posted twice in 2021 and none in 2022. I tried finding more info on him a few months ago. Even his Facebook page hadn't been updated in years, I think it was. But he must still be around. I found no obits for him anywhere!
    Heh, I didn't even realize I was responding to such an old post.

I still stand by my suggestion though. Having a bunch of DIYers in your riding group can be beneficial ........ and fun.

2002 BMW 325i - his