Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Cost of Oil Change

My red RT-S is somewhere in the US, on the way to Texas. I am wondering what different dealers charge for an oil change (includeing all gaskets, etc) I am sure labor rates vary throughout the country, but just trying to get an idea. I am unable to get down on my knees and back without considerable trouble. It is hell getting old.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
    My red RT-S is somewhere in the US, on the way to Texas. I am wondering what different dealers charge for an oil change (includeing all gaskets, etc) I am sure labor rates vary throughout the country, but just trying to get an idea. I am unable to get down on my knees and back without considerable trouble. It is hell getting old.

First oil change, 250 to 350 and IF they do it by the numbers closer to 350, And it's worth it consideing the time it takes.[by the numbers]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

$150 plus tax. However, most places here in the ArkLaMiss seem to be charging $250-300.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

louis powersports told me 100-110 for an oil change.

Spyder Garage

Wink

Try not to look at the first oil change costs... There is about 12-15 (Have the list packed away right now) other critical items they check and are required during the first oil change @ 600 miles.

That said. Just straight oil/filter(s if SE5) runs $210-$250 depending on what the dealer has chosen to make money off of. You returning to buy more "Stuff" or service.

Quite a few folks do their own for about $40 per change plus oil choice. I figure it is nice to do it ourselves for the knowledge gained of our rides... But also ask myself what is my time worth and I want my dealer to be here for many years...

So I will share the responsibility... The "Big" checkups that require BRP tools and computers (cheaper for the oils change this way as all the Tupperware is already off and they can only charge that time once per visit) and I will do the rest
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 03-09-2011 at 08:28 PM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've already been through the first oil change and have a quote for my next one at only $85.00 or so...
    The break-in service was done where I bought the Spyder (Rusty Palmer's in Honesdale, PA) and the quote was from Arctic Adventures in Rosendale, NY
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

South Texas Suzuki, Lytle, TX said $220 less 10% for military retired. This is a small dealer with lots of personal attention. Shop boss said we don't just change the oil, we check many things and always make sure your computer has the latest updates. We test ride it and check it out as best we can. Seems reasonable to me.

It is a 50 mile ride to the dealer through some nice country. They are in line with what they do...(They are great folks, I like them and they are not my closest dealer)

Thanks for your inputs.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Capt Ron, Is that $150 for the oil change after the first one? I know that the first one (600 miles) in Hattiesburg, MS was $300+.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    Capt Ron, Is that $150 for the oil change after the first one? I know that the first one (600 miles) in Hattiesburg, MS was $300+.
    I like my dealer, but by break-in oil change was $285 and I thought that hurt. Not sure what the next one will cost but I think the owner told me less than $200. For $150 I would ride down to any part of North MS to do it.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

If the oil change and service is done to spec, there are $42 worth of parts (@ MSRP) involved for the first service on an SE5. Of course the O-rings and copper washers can often be reused, reducing that slightly, but there are still $25 worth of filters. Oil will add another $30-$60 depending on the dealer's prices and the oil selected. Toss in 2-2.5 hours labor, for an RT-SE5 600 mile service, at your dealer's going rate, and you are usually going to spend upwards of $200-$250. Costs for an SM5 or for the RS model would be somewhat less (fewer parts and less labor). Those that have gotten out for less than $200 (or $100 ) have gotten a bargain...or the maintenance tasks have been shortcut.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Cost of the most recent oil & filter service on my wife's RT-SE5 at 7,000 miles was $258. This is the closest (26 miles) Can Am dealer to us and their labor rates are $130 for the first hour and $85 for each additional.

I think that is a bit heavy. There are two independent shops close by where labor is $65 an hour but since they are not Can Am knowledgeable it may take them three hours to figure it out so it probably doesn't make a lot of difference.

I got a nice reply from Lamonster when I asked about doing it myself on her bike but at age 72 I would have a major problem getting down low enough to access everything on her machine.

I can take my Gold Wing almost anywhere for service but I think the Can Am dealer is probably our best bet due to the sophistication of this machine and the other things the dealer can (or should) be checking on when it comes in for servicing.

Rick Rae

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My lady dealer said they will charge me $198 for the 600 and other oil changes, using BRP oil. She said figure 3 hours as they check stuff not on the BRP check list.

I said, "I would need to make an appointment and wait for the maintenance". She said, "figure three hours, come on down in the morning, take a demo and ride a couple of hours, go to Devine, TX to the Triple C cafe, have lunch, come back and it will be ready....and we buy the gas...". And one dealer asked a friend of mine who bought a Suzuki from her, why do folks go there and not mydealership? ....Duh!!

p.s. I shopped five Spyder dealers and she was the lowest price too. She said, during our sales discussion, "George, I will give you a good price so you will come back for other items." She is right.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rae View Post
    Cost of the most recent oil & filter service on my wife's RT-SE5 at 7,000 miles was $258. This is the closest (26 miles) Can Am dealer to us and their labor rates are $130 for the first hour and $85 for each additional.

I think that is a bit heavy. There are two independent shops close by where labor is $65 an hour but since they are not Can Am knowledgeable it may take them three hours to figure it out so it probably doesn't make a lot of difference.

I got a nice reply from Lamonster when I asked about doing it myself on her bike but at age 72 I would have a major problem getting down low enough to access everything on her machine.

I can take my Gold Wing almost anywhere for service but I think the Can Am dealer is probably our best bet due to the sophistication of this machine and the other things the dealer can (or should) be checking on when it comes in for servicing.

Rick Rae
    My Lexus dealer is less than $130 per hour. That's crazy. No oil change of any sort should cost over $50. IMO
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If the oil change and service is done Those that have gotten out for less than $200 (or $100 ) have gotten a bargain...or the maintenance tasks have been shortcut.
    And the key word is, SHORTCUT.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just had my second oil-change for my RT-S at a little over 6K miles and it ran $250.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I read on this site that on the RT, getting to the oil filter is labor intensive. Perhaps two hours to remove and replace the plastic...I could be off on this....I have never changed oil on a RT, but looked at Lamont's video...and it looks labor intensive to me. The parts are $40 plus as i understand it. I was told by the dealer that they will check several other things and insure the computer is updated....

If it takes two hours....and the dealer charges $80 to $100 an hour, it can add up. Local Honda dealers are $79.50 to $90 per hour. There are lots of variations in pricing...for sure.

Okay, RT folks, how much time to change your oil, gaskets, O rings, etc?? I realize the more times you do it, the less time it takes you.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

I remove 2 panels...the long one that mounts to the saddlebags and the black one under it. I do not remove the mirrors and any other plastic panel. After the first oil change, I have set up the lower plastic plate to where I have to only remove the 2 bolts off the frame. I am not a mechanic or technician, but I have taken care of my motorcycles for over 40 years. If it's something I can't do the shop gets it (that usually means something broke). I do a lot of things no Spydr owner would do, but I am not paranoid about any warranty. If I get to that bridge, then I will cross it.
    Seems like the range of costs for services on the Spyder need to addressed by BRP. I don't see any reason for one dealer to charge $150 and another over $300. Just my thoughts, and mine only.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Wink

Hey everyone... I was having a hard time figuring out where the $150 comment came from in the last bunch of posts, and found it came from (I think anyway) my typing error. I corrected it in my post. I had $110-150 and it should have read $210-$250... Very sorry for the confusion I may have created.

Also added the link to one of our sponsors for the DIY'rs...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    That was the cost on the 600 mile as well as 3000 mile. House of Cycle in West Monroe, service Dept Manager is Nancy. Their cost on service is the lowest I've found in the ArkLaMiss. Jackson prices are about the same as Hattiesburg.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I ve only had one oil change done at a dealer back in Marquette,MI. It was with the 600 mi service. That cost around 160.00 back in the spring of '08.

I got a quote for the RT from the dealer where I bought it from and for the 600 mi service its around 260.00

So, I m speculating that just an oil change should be a bit cheaper than the 600 mi service.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I'm just curious.

How do you get at the screw & rivet holding the middle panel on that is located underneath the top side panel?

Let's see, at $95/hr, that would amount to .....lol. 619-766-4883

Be gad to tell you. No Charge, of course!
    Last edited by Dudley; 03-09-2011 at 09:16 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The local dealer gave me a good deal on the service package so we'll have to wait and see what else they try to tack on. Currently on have about 400 miles on it.
    Ray & Nancy
    2010 Spyder RT A&C Pkg w/Works Shocks, Fog & LED Accent Ltg
    2010 39' Toy Hauler pulled by 2004 Volvo VNL-670 Semi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Ron View Post
    That was the cost on the 600 mile as well as 3000 mile. House of Cycle in West Monroe, service Dept Manager is Nancy. Their cost on service is the lowest I've found in the ArkLaMiss. Jackson prices are about the same as Hattiesburg.
    Hey Capt Ron... I travel to Jackson every 3 months (actually Yazoo City but I stay in Jackson). I have tried to look for the dealer over there but never can find it. Is it the one over at Pearl?

Thanks!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I'm just curious.

How do you get at the screw & rivet holding the middle panel on that is located underneath the top side panel?
    Rear Side Panel Removal

1. Remove middle side panel (one with grommets, where you check your oil).
    2. Remove top side panel:
    2a. Lift seat.
    2b. Remove lower wind deflectors.
    2c. Remove mirrors.
    2e. Remove upper retaining screws from top side panel.
    2f. Remove rear retaing screw from top side panel.
    2g. Remove service cover (under hood).
    2h. Remove lower (black) retaing screws of top side panel.
    2i. Remove top side panel by lifting it upward and freeing it from the two retaining grommets (under the silver security screws).
    3. Remove rear side panel:
    3a. Remove front retaining screw of rear side panel.
    3b. Remove upper retaining screw and washer from rear side panel.
    3c. Remove front plastic rivet from rear side panel.
    3d. Open side storage compartment (saddlebag) cover.
    3e. Remove rear retaining screws from rear side panel.
    3f. Remove top retaining screw from rear side panel.
    3g. Remove rear side panel from vehicle.

Bottom Rear Side Panel Removal

1. Remove middle side panel, top side panel, and rear side panel following steps above.
    2. Remove bottom front side panel:
    2a. Remove upper retaining scre from panel.
    2b. Remove upper plastic rivet from panel.
    2c. From underneath panel, remove lower plastic rivets (push darts), with care.
    2d. Remove bottom front side panel from vehicle.
    3. Remove bottom rear side panel:
    3a. Remove front plastic rivet from bottom rear side panel.
    3b. Remove retaining screws from bottom rear side panel.
    3c. Remove bottom rear side panel from vehicle.

These procedures are in your Owner's Guide...with pictures.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Hey Capt Ron... I travel to Jackson every 3 months (actually Yazoo City but I stay in Jackson). I have tried to look for the dealer over there but never can find it. Is it the one over at Pearl?

Thanks!
    There is a dealer in Pearl, near Miskelly Furniture Store. However, they are much higher for services. Additionally, when I was shopping for my Spyder, they told me that they will charge a 10% surcharge on any services for bikes not purchased at their store. I get my services done in West Monroe, LA at the House of Cycles 318-362-1366 on 410 Downing Pines Rd.