Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Transmission Question

Just joined tonight, going to dealer tomorrow to order a RT-S SE5, dealer is recommending the semi auto transmission. I am going to get the 622 trailer also, would appreciate any thoughts on the transmission.

Rafe

Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 RT-S and the semi-auto trans. I love it and it is fun when I beat the Harley's and others off the light because I don't have to roll off the throttle when I shift. I think you will be happy with it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Rider View Post
    I have a 2010 RT-S and the semi-auto trans. I love it and it is fun when I beat the Harley's and others off the light because I don't have to roll off the throttle when I shift. I think you will be happy with it.
    Rafe, I think we made a good choice. I am waiting for mine. Welcome to the site....lots of good folks and tons of information here.

Havasu, I am going to have to get used to not rolling off the throttle when hitting the up button...ha ha

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rafe Covington View Post
    Just joined tonight, going to dealer tomorrow to order a RT-S SE5, dealer is recommending the semi auto transmission. I am going to get the 622 trailer also, would appreciate any thoughts on the transmission.

Rafe
    Me personally i would go with the Manuel 5 speed, Unless all your dealer has is Autos in stock, Hence the recommendation for the Auto.

Spyder Garage

I wish you the best with ordering your new RT.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

and on your new baby!!! I ryde a 2010 RT-S SE5 with an RT-622 trailing behind. Sweeeeet combo!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had the same debut and have no regret in choosing the automatic for the RT-S. For a touring bike my preference is for SE transmission. If you were going the sport bike route then I would lean to the manual transmission.

Registered Users fordguyupnorth's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I HAVE THE AUTO IN MY RTS AND REALLY LIKE IT, I HAVE THE MAN. IN MY RS AND LOVE IT! DIFFERENT KIND OF RIDE, I THINK YOU WILL LIKE THE AUTO IN THE TOURING!

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Rafe, you can manually up- and down-shift the SE, but the SM can't automatically shift, so the SE is therefore more flexible and accomodating to your mood.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Get the SE, One less thing to worry about when hauling your trailer !
    Happy Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Get the SE! After having manuals for years it is GREAT .

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Rafe--We p/u our RT SE5 & 622 trailer in may of last year, We got 15k on it now, Took the trailer with us when we road the Tail of the Dragon At SITS. I've Pulled trailers with Honda,HD an this is the best I have ever had for pulling trailers you don't even know its back there execpt the noise from the hitch when your empty, Make sure they put the watermanagment Kit on the trailer [ before ] you take it out the door or sign any papers. and have fun. JC

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Spyder Garage

Bought my 2008 with a standard shft. When the SemiAuto came out in 2009 got that for the spouse. I liked it so much that when the RTS came out, I had to have the SemiAuto on that. Once you drive it a little, you will not miss the manual shifting at all. In 46 years of owning motorcycles, my RTS is the 2nd Automatic I have owned. Yes, I had one of the the first 1976 750 HondaMatics. That one had a drive gear and a low range gear--put it in drive and crank the throttle and she howled and took off like a jet engine. People would ask me--hey wheres the clutch? Wish I still had that one. When I need a shift fix, I just hop on my Vulcan and go.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We bought a GS SE5 in Nov 2008. The SE was first generation and a lot of fun and a new experience for something other than a car. Our 2010 RT is BareBone. I chose not to go with the SE because I didn't think it was worth the $1500 extra dollars. I am very satisfied with the manual and have no regrets not having the SE.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just got my new RT a couple of weeks ago but happy with the SE5. Similar type trans in my Smart Car and Volvo VN-670 Semi. Manual trans and clutch shifted by aid of computer smarts. In my case, the computer or TCM is smarter and quicker than I am.

Ray

Spyder Garage

Both Nancy and I are perfectly happy with the manual shift SM5 Spyders. This is a personal decision, that only the rider can make. I suggest a demo ride (or two or three) on each type, before a decision is made, if you have no strong preferences now.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and welcome aboard!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Both Nancy and I are perfectly happy with the manual shift SM5 Spyders. This is a personal decision, that only the rider can make. I suggest a demo ride (or two or three) on each type, before a decision is made, if you have no strong preferences now.
    ON THE

Spyder Garage

Love the SE... but as Scotty says.. it is a personal choice.. I rowed the gears for many years on many different bikes and rode both the SM and SE before purchasing the SE... no regrets..

BTW welcome aboard.
    $Bill
    '10 Orbital Blue RT-S SE5
    '15 White/Black F3S SE6
    '13 Victory Cross Country Blacked Out - TRADED
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

USAF 1963-1987, US Fed Courts 1987-2010
    Retired 2010-?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dang... I really like your avatar!
    Are you coming North to Pittsburgh for the NRA convention at the end of April?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Was told today my RT-S SE-5 won't be in until the first week of April, going to be a long 3 weeks.

Rafe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Dang... I really like your avatar!
    Are you coming North to Pittsburgh for the NRA convention at the end of April?
    Thanks Bob and I would love to make it to the NRA convention then, but I have to be in MS for my daughter's college graduation (about time as she is 39 with 3 boys and a husband that is deployed 6 months out of the year every year (Navy SeaBee)).
    $Bill
    '10 Orbital Blue RT-S SE5
    '15 White/Black F3S SE6
    '13 Victory Cross Country Blacked Out - TRADED
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

USAF 1963-1987, US Fed Courts 1987-2010
    Retired 2010-?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Bought my 2008 with a standard shft. When the SemiAuto came out in 2009 got that for the spouse. I liked it so much that when the RTS came out, I had to have the SemiAuto on that. Once you drive it a little, you will not miss the manual shifting at all. In 46 years of owning motorcycles, my RTS is the 2nd Automatic I have owned. Yes, I had one of the the first 1976 750 HondaMatics. That one had a drive gear and a low range gear--put it in drive and crank the throttle and she howled and took off like a jet engine. People would ask me--hey wheres the clutch? Wish I still had that one. When I need a shift fix, I just hop on my Vulcan and go.
    This is the second auto we have owned,the Honda was the first.

The SE is fun to drive..just hit the throttle and paddle. I never thought an automatic clutch would be as enjoyable as it is.. but it is!

Wish this was available on ironhead Sportsters 40 years ago. Downside: no second gear wheelstands!