Spyder Garage

Default Opinions on long-term driveway/outside parking?

Hello all... after lurking the boards, I'm interested in maybe getting a Spyder. I haven't test ridden one yet, so I don't even know if I'd want it, but I have a much more immediate concern: namely, how suitable/durable is the Spyder for parking outside?

My situation: Washington DC area, with DC weather (~40 degree rainy winters and ~90 degree humid summers). I don't have a garage, only an asphalt driveway without a carport. I could possibly install a vehicle tent in the back of the driveway, but that's not an ideal solution for me or my neighborhood. So, realistically, I'd have to keep a Spyder outside 24/7, protected by a regular ol' tarp when parked.

Now, I've had no issues doing this with cheap-ish bikes (duallys and 250cc touring bikes)-- take the tarp off, inspect head to toe, and ride off. Spend more time babying after a winter, but it's not like I've ever kept any of those bikes for longer than a 2-3 years.

Alas, the Spyder is significantly more complex than those bikes, and NOT a cheap vehicle-- i.e., I'd like to keep one for the long haul in as best shape as I possibly can.

I think as a practical matter I'd store the Spyder over the DC winter (Nov-Feb), either at a dealer location or a friend's garage. But the rest of the year, I'd like to have it on hand out in my driveway (otherwise, what's the point?).

So, good idea? Or is it an unavoidably bad idea, i.e. don't bother buying one? I'm not buying a new house with a garage anytime soon, so I'm interested in any options/tips folks might have...

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Any vehicle stored day after day, under those conditions, will suffer. If less than perfect paint, and deteriorating rubber bother you, you will be unhappy. You have lived with what this type of storage does, before though, so I think you can accept the inevitable difficulties.

You might want to consider the BRP Outdoor Storage Cover, instead of a tarp. It fits snugly, fastens securely, is durable, and has soft material inside to keep from scratching the windshield. As another alternative, you could consider a trike model Bike Barn.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 03-07-2011 at 05:24 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Hello all... after lurking the boards, I'm interested in maybe getting a Spyder. I haven't test ridden one yet, so I don't even know if I'd want it, but I have a much more immediate concern: namely, how suitable/durable is the Spyder for parking outside?

My situation: Washington DC area, with DC weather (~40 degree rainy winters and ~90 degree humid summers). I don't have a garage, only an asphalt driveway without a carport. I could possibly install a vehicle tent in the back of the driveway, but that's not an ideal solution for me or my neighborhood. So, realistically, I'd have to keep a Spyder outside 24/7, protected by a regular ol' tarp when parked.

Now, I've had no issues doing this with cheap-ish bikes (duallys and 250cc touring bikes)-- take the tarp off, inspect head to toe, and ride off. Spend more time babying after a winter, but it's not like I've ever kept any of those bikes for longer than a 2-3 years.

Alas, the Spyder is significantly more complex than those bikes, and NOT a cheap vehicle-- i.e., I'd like to keep one for the long haul in as best shape as I possibly can.

I think as a practical matter I'd store the Spyder over the DC winter (Nov-Feb), either at a dealer location or a friend's garage. But the rest of the year, I'd like to have it on hand out in my driveway (otherwise, what's the point?).

So, good idea? Or is it an unavoidably bad idea, i.e. don't bother buying one? I'm not buying a new house with a garage anytime soon, so I'm interested in any options/tips folks might have...

Thanks!

If i were in your shoes' I would get the Spyder And the cover made for the Spyder, Get fire and theft insurance, and have fun riding it. It's not a delicate machine it can handle being out side. Go for it
    If you don't you'll miss out on a whole new riding experience.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You might want to consider the BRP Outdoor Storage Cover, instead of a tarp. It fits snugly, fastens securely, is durable, and has soft material inside to keep from scratching the windshield. As another alternative, you could consider a trike model Bike Barn.
    I figured on an "official" cover that actually fits like a glove, but I'm now kicking myself about the "trike barn"-- I've seen those before for motorcycles, why the heck did I not think that, gee, maybe they make those for trikes, too? D'oh!

Hmmm...

Spyder Garage

Or a nice shed with double doors painted to match your house. They are wind and weather proof. Bit on the expensive side though.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=M2Wild;292044]Or a nice shed with double doors painted to match your house. QUOTE]
    and
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Any vehicle stored day aftyer day, under those conditions, will suffer. If less than perfect paint, and deteriorating rubber bother you, you will be unhappy. You have lived with what this type of storage does, before though, so I think you can accept the inevitable difficulties.

I agree. We do not have a closed garage for our Spyders either, but the BRP Outdoor covers are doing an excellent job of protecting them so far. And I do not let dirt or moisture stay on them either. When I get home, I wipe the machine down and cover it up. So far it's working very well.

Having said that, if I were in your position I would absolutely look into the bike barn solution. For a Spyder that is going to be truly exposed, IMO you can't ask for better protection that doesn't involve erecting a hard enclosure of some sort.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Any vehicle stored day aftyer day, under those conditions, will suffer. If less than perfect paint, and deteriorating rubber bother you, you will be unhappy. You have lived with what this type of storage does, before though, so I think you can accept the inevitable difficulties.

I just purchased a RTs this past fall and take delivery of it this spring and I have a situation similar to yours. During the winter months I will pay for indoor storage and have my dealer prep it for winter storage and store in his indoor storage area. When spring arrives he will get out of storage and get ready to ride. I will be buying an outdoor Storage cover from BRP part #219400173 and covering when not in use. This cover will breath and a tarp will not. I would have bought a trike barn as Scotty has mentioned but it is a little big for my backyard patio as will be kept behind my locked gate when not in use. I always spend the money to buy a good cover and pay for indoor off season storage for all my toys and the toys have seemed to looked good for a long time, also when I go to sell them I have no problem in selling them or getting a descent price for them too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post

If i were in your shoes' I would get the Spyder And the cover made for the Spyder, Get fire and theft insurance, and have fun riding it. It's not a delicate machine it can handle being out side. Go for it
    If you don't you'll miss out on a whole new riding experience.
    +1

Hope you get a !
    Happy Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I both own RT-S's and keep them under a "carport". We keep them both covered when we're not ryding. So far, so good!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Like others have said - a breathable UV protecting cover is the way to go, and you should be fine. Do not use a tarp, which traps in moisture. Mine spends the winter in my garage with an ATV cover on it (which actually fits pretty well, and was about 1/3 the cost of an official Spyder cover). But I've stored vehicles outside during the winter (in harsher climates than DC) before with car covers and they do fine. The snow don't really hurt them - it's the road salt that kills vehicles.

BTW - in my experience, unless you find some special Spyder event, it's hard to get a test-drive on one (or any motorcycle, for that matter). I had to make a leap of faith and buy mine without ever having driven one. My first two hours of riding (in parking lots and just around the block) I was terrified and thought I had made a mistake. I especially had a problem with accidentally throttling up during tight turns at low speeds (such as turning into driveways). It's a gutsy motor, and if move your wrist too much while extending your arms... Anyway, once I fugured that out, I felt much more comfortable. By 10 hrs logged in the saddle I was hooked. Good luck!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am in the same boat here & use the outside cover yr around. the last 2 yrs the brp cover is in need of replacing-small holes. I am looking into Nelson Rigg covers-both full and half ones instead of brp. costs less to.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brunswick View Post
    BTW - in my experience, unless you find some special Spyder event, it's hard to get a test-drive on one (or any motorcycle, for that matter)......
    I don't know about the specific dealers around you, but if you have the proper endorsement, most dealers offer demo rides. Without an endorsement, you may be relegated to the parking lot or practice course, just like you are if you go to the demo truck at a Spyder event.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default outside

Hello. I bought my Spyder this summer & have kept it outside covered with the full-length BRP cover. That's not long enough to give an informed opinion. The cover does a great job of keeping snow, ice, dust etc off the bike.
    On reason I do this is because I ride every chance I can all year long. My part of NY gets a fair amount of snow & ice during winter. I won't ride in those conditions, the Spyder isn't meant for that. I probably will have 500-600 miles during the winter season. I have done this with 2-wheelers for about ten years, keeping me sane during the dark time of the year. I never encountered problems with them outside. After rides I do go to the car wash to rinse off salt.
    Anyway I went a little off the mark. Good luck no matter your decision. Welcome to the Spyder community

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you have the room, and can afford it a drop ramp cargo motorcycle trailer is another possible option. It would be like having a mobile garage, and your Spyder is locked up. I have 6' x 12', it's tight but it works.
    Last edited by Capt Ron; 03-07-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the advice, and the warm welcomes!

It may be a while before I can get one-- in fact, depending on how kind my Uncle Sam is to me this tax season, I might not even be able to do it this year. That said, I've seen some Spyders for rent around town, I will definitely jump at that when the time is right (I tend not to trust demo rides / test drives, I'm a REAL picky buyer, but having a weekend's worth of experience would do the trick).

Anyway, I'll definitely be looking into the Trike Barn option (can't build a shed on the side of my house, alas, but the barn will do nicely, and leave me enough space to get back and forth to my backyard).

BTW, checking out their website, they have a heater accessory for sale... anyone ever use one? Humidity can be an evil thing around these here parts, but wonder if such a thing is overkill.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Use the spyder cover during the riding season and come winter rent a space at a storage garage. Just an idea.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I bought a 8' wide 10' deep plastic shed from home depot for less then $900 Then i ran electricity out to it for my battery tender, lights etc. [figure it paid for it self in about a year]
    Last edited by SpyderSteve; 03-07-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I too had consider the shed. However, the uptight folks who wrote the restriction and covenants in my neighborhood don't allow sheds unless it matches the house. Additionally, a shed has to be approved by the architect committee.

Spyder Garage

Just looked up Bike Barn. They have one to fit the RT. Cost is very reasonable.

http://www.thebikebarn.net/can_am_sp...ter_cover.html
    Last edited by Dudley; 03-08-2011 at 12:14 AM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

I have a much more immediate concern: namely, how suitable/durable is the Spyder for parking outside?

Thanks!
    Dave,
    I live just south of Old Town in an apartment building. I cover the bike if there is inclement weather coming, and wiped off a little bit of frost from the seat this morning before riding into the District.

Bottom line: Get a cover and enjoy the bike.

Spyder Garage

Have been utilizing the BRP Outdoor Cover since the day I got my in June 08. I do have access to a cover porch that the I drive the on to when the weather is bad. Otherwise it stays on the driveway - under the cover. I have had no issues other than normal wear and maintenance. runs well and still looks good. Of course I wish I had a gargare to put FANG in but alas money and room to construct an issue.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Two Thumbs Up

For the Bike(Trike) Barn. I used mine for two years until the Spyder got a spot in the carport. It is so much more convenient than the outdoor cover when you are home.
    Last edited by sabunim5; 03-08-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

I think Tom in NM was the first to store his Spyder in a Bike Barn.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15160
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!