Registered Users fordguyupnorth's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CHILDREN AS PASSENGERS?...is it ok?

ok, this is a topic i guess i have never seen. after we bought our rts and drove it and realized the safety and stability factor of the spyder the wheels started turning! we have a motorhome and do a lot of camping with the kids. ( 12 yr old girl, 6 yr old boy) we always "break" camp and use the motorhome to get around when we are at our destinations. additionally we always waited for the babysitter or an open weekend to enjoy our old bike as we couldn't hardly go with the kids. the kids have grown up riding with us on our snowmobiles and have enjoyed it, so i bought a second used rs spyder with thoughts of putting the two of them in our enclosed trailer behind the motorhome and my fiancee can drive the rts (se5 trans) with her 12 yr old daughter, and i can take our 6 yr old boy on the rs to cruise around. i was talking to my dad though and he seemed slightly concerned saying, " when is the last time you saw a kid on a motorcycle" guess i never really thought about that! i suppose their is a certain "danger" factor even with the spyder as opposed to a car, but there is on a snowmobile too.....anyone have any thoughts? is it "taboo" to include our kids on our excursions? we have been so excited that finally we can go on our motorcycle trips as a family! thanks to the spyder! HELP!!! is there anything wrong or irresponsible about this?

Spyder Garage

I have raised four boys that are four years apart in age. Each one has ridden behind me on cross country trips, motorcycle camping trips, and back and forth to church, school, etc.

They are grown now, have their own bikes and now we travel as a group on trips as a tradition. Use common sense and modern safety gear. Go for it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I see many kids on 2 wheelers. Not as safe as a cage, but no worse than a quad or snowmobile.

Spyder Garage

If they can comfortably reach the pegs, they should be okay.

john

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would, without a doubt, have backrests installed before any rides are given.

And, like retread mentioned, feet MUST reach the footpegs. I believe that is MI law.

Spyder Garage

thans, rts has the full backrest, and ordered the rs a sportrack and backrest already. no problems with reaching the footrests. anyone think its an irresponsible move? we are very safe in everything we do. always very responsible snowmobiling and so-on. just never really thought about the motorcycle thing.

Spyder Garage

My two daughters have ridden with me for years, actually since they were both around 7 or 8 on my motorcycles and now on my RT-S. I agree that their feet need to reach the pegs, but they should also wear the same gear you are wearing to include long pants (no shorts or clam-diggers), real shoes (boots preferably - no flip-flops!) gloves, eye protection, and of course a proper fitting helmet!

Lastly, they need to understand the rules of riding to include holding on, leaning if needed, etc. Other than that you should be good to go! Good ryding!
    Thanks Jim - a.k.a. SpyderRider

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson

Spyder Garage

Smile

I think with the 12 year old you are fine again with caution the six year old i would use more precaution they use to make something called a buddy belt and basically it just loops around the driver and the passenger.

Roger

Spyder Garage

yep, i used to use one of those for him when we rode snowmobiles. he has since grew out of it and does fine on the sled. maybe something i should look into again though.

Spyder Garage

I agree with the "Buddy Belt" for those under 7 as I did use the similar for my youngest as she wanted to ride at 5 (around neighborhood only). I used an old belt of mine and strapped her into the comfort of the rear of my 2001 Valkyrie Interstate.
    Thanks Jim - a.k.a. SpyderRider

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fordguyupnorth View Post
    yep, i used to use one of those for him when we rode snowmobiles. he has since grew out of it and does fine on the sled. maybe something i should look into again though.
    If he can ride on a snowmobile at speed, I think he can handle riding on the back of a Spyder with no problem.

Spyder Garage

I've seen many chrildren riding on the back of bikes. the would be much safer, just use caution and look out for the other guys.

Spyder Garage

A twelve year old...maybe, provide the child can reach the footrests, can be fitted with the appropriate sized protective equipment, and can be taught to pay attention and learn the rules of riding and the road. As to a six year old, no way, except maybe for putt-putting up and down the driveway. Not only is it unsafe, but you would be devastated if something happened. In a auto accident, there is some protection for the occupants, but there is no such thing on any type of motorcycle. That exposure to trouble is made worse when you cannot reach the pegs, or see the road ahead. Too many possibilities for disaster. My kids hated me for not riding them at more than an idle, or beyond the end of the driveway, until they were old enough, but they are still here to gripe, and their bones all point in the right direction. That is far more important to me!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I think that is a decision only you can make. Should you get involved in an accident, which can happen on/in anything you drive/ride you live with the consequences. If you see no problems in doing so, I would suggest checking the laws where you will ride to see if there are any age/height limitations.

Would I do it...no.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

100%.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My two boys were raised on dirt bikes, riding from the time the oldest was 7 and the youngest 5. But they were 11 or 12 before I took them behind me on a street bike and then it was in very light traffic. I would hesitate to take a 6 year old in traffic but it might depend on the kid's level of maturity and degree of familiarity with riding. At least now there is very good safety gear available in kids sizes. That wasn't the case in the mid '70's when my kids were growing up.

I remember taking my youngest on his first ride on a street bike when he was 11 or 12. He was already a very good dirt rider but hadn't been on a street bike. I was riding an RD-350 Yamaha, a very responsive 2-stroke twin. Kinda the "crotch rocket" of the day. We took a little twisty 2-lane road with little traffic around the lake near home. The RD-350, which normally turned really well, just didn't want to turn. Finally I glanced back and saw that my son was leaning to the outside of every turn. When I stopped and asked him why, he said he couldn't see if he stayed behind me.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I think with the 12 year old you are fine again with caution the six year old i would use more precaution they use to make something called a buddy belt and basically it just loops around the driver and the passenger.
    This is what I use for my son when he rides with me combined with having a backrest as well.

http://www.childridingbelt.com/enginstrcen.htm

Spyder Garage

thanks for the comments everyone! even after only a few weeks of reading everyones comments i feel a level of respect for the group as a whole. i will take everything under advisement. i know i could go back and forth with the matter. i have seen some REAL morons on the snowmobile trail but always have safety as #1 for myself and family. never really thought of not taking the whole family though. guess i dont know why i never put much thought into being on the spyders with the kids. i will keep it to the short ice cream runs in our very rural area. i love the child belt link....thanks a ton! i will have one. again thanks to all for the concern and advice!

Spyder Garage

I'm probably in the minority, but I DIDN'T allow my children and don't allow my grandkids to live in a bubble.

Chris PE# 0004

RT-S PE#0793
    Spyder Garage

As my boys can reach the footrests and wear the proper gear, we do it.
    Steve

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fordguyupnorth View Post
    thanks for the comments everyone! even after only a few weeks of reading everyones comments i feel a level of respect for the group as a whole... i have seen some REAL morons on the snowmobile trail but always have safety as #1 for myself and family... guess i dont know why i never put much thought into being on the spyders with the kids. i will keep it to the short ice cream runs in our very rural area. i love the child belt link....thanks a ton! i will have one. again thanks to all for the concern and advice!
    That's great that you keep the family involved in these activities! We always took our son along also, and he's developed a healthy respect for mechanized things. Now that he's old enough to be out on his own he's even talking (quietly round the Missus) of getting a motorcycle.
    Your concern for their safety never goes away...
    So enjoy every moment of their company that you can!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for asking... I was wondering this myself. Just don't overdo it, like the guy below...

Spyder Garage

I would think, if the kids can ride with you on snowmoblies, they could on Spyders. Along with safety rules as above. Me, I would keepthe riding to slow speed ( 35 ? ), area roads, not interstates highways.

Looking back a lot of years, we used to ride with babies sitting on the gas tank in front of us on bikes. This does not seem to be such a good idea now. We did that, even on our monster size 500 and 650 cc bikes.

Your decision, of course. Have fun, be safe
    Very Happy Spyder Owner