Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

<<To the best of my knowledge and research, Valvoline does not market a full synthetic motorcycle oil..I have been using their dino oil for years, but it does not meet the Spyder specs.>>

Scotty,

Valvoline does sell a full synthetic motorcycle oil, with specs as I indicated in my post. I am certain of this because I have 8 qt of it sitting in my garage waiting for future oil changes. Perhaps it's a new product and you thus missed it in your research. I don't recall seeing it on retailers shelves until quite recently.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by liketoride2;
    Valvoline does sell a full synthetic motorcycle oil, with specs as I indicated in my post. I am certain of this because I have 8 qt of it sitting in my garage waiting for future oil changes. Perhaps it's a new product and you thus missed it in your research. I don't recall seeing it on retailers shelves until quite recently.
    It doesn't show on their Website.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    .....That sounds like a blend......
    If it is a full synthetic or a blend, it has to say so on the label. This is the same dino oil they have sold for years.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The Valvoline oil I referred to plainly says full synthetic on the label, and also motorcycle oil. It is not the same as the picture posted by Mr. Orange. I am away from home and not able to take a picture of the bottle at this time, but when I return home I will do so and post it.

Why it isn't on Valvoline's web sit I have no way of knowing (haven't check there myself) unless it is such a new product they haven't added it to the site yet.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by liketoride2 View Post
    The Valvoline oil I referred to plainly says full synthetic on the label, and also motorcycle oil. It is not the same as the picture posted by Mr. Orange. I am away from home and not able to take a picture of the bottle at this time, but when I return home I will do so and post it.

Why it isn't on Valvoline's web sit I have no way of knowing (haven't check there myself) unless it is such a new product they haven't added it to the site yet.

Mike
    Looking forward to learning more about it.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Valvoline/1 qt. SAE 10W-40 4T 4-Stroke full synthetic motorcycle oil

Here is the oil that is full synthetic by Valvoline

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rover's Spider View Post
    Valvoline/1 qt. SAE 10W-40 4T 4-Stroke full synthetic motorcycle oil

Here is the oil that is full synthetic by Valvoline
    Link doesn't work.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I see that a photo of the Valvoline front label has already been posted; thanks. Attached is a photo of the rear label but it may not be very legible because of small print size - I shot it horizontally in order to get more of a closeup but it's looks as if it will still be mostly too small to read. The part number is listed as 507679.

Originally I had suggested this might be an excellent oil choice for our Spyders, especially for anyone concerned about potential warranty issues with Mobil 1 4T because of its SM rating. Based on the Valvoline specs, especially the lack of the SM rating, does anyone else have an opinion, pro or con? I used Mobil 1 for my first oil change but plan to go with the Valvoline in the future as it doesn't seem wise to me to use an oil with a rating specifically prohibited by BRP in the owner's manual.

Mike

Spyder Garage

I am going to look for this locally. The Net says that Advance Auto carries it here...Autozone says it is not available. It would make a good substitute for the BMW oil in my Beemer. BMWs don't even like SL oils, and the SG label is hard to find. I agree that it is not so wise to use an oil that conflicts with the written spec...even if the manufacturer of the oil says it is OK. Be aware that 10W-40 does not meet the written spec, either, however. I'll probably try the Valvoline at Nancy's next oil change...if I can find it. Their dino oil has always been excellent in my other cycles.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input Scotty. I have been somewhat concerned about BRP only recommending 5W-40 as and not 10W-40 also. The wording in the owners manual as to whether this is a recommendation or requirement isn't clear. The paragraph discussing this is titled "Recommended Engine Oil," whereas the statement about not using an SM classification oil is specific that it's not to be used ("....do not use....").

Being somewhat of a cynic I tend to believe that BRP specified 5W-40 because that's what they sell and they want to sell their own brand to the greatest extent possible, not because the use of 10W-40 is inappropriate or could cause any damage. I'm not an expert on oils but it seems to me that the only potential advantage to a cold viscosity of 5W vs 10W would be in extremely cold ambient temperatures, and it is well known that 10W full synthetics already have very low pour points.

I asked my dealer about this and he said he very much doubted that the use of 10W would raise any warranty isssues with BRP, although he obviously can't state that for certain. He said that in many years of selling BRP snowmobiles, watercraft, ATVs, and Spyders he never once had BRP ask what type of oil had been used in a machine needing warranty coverage.

But, it's still of some concern to me as I've always been compulsive about following manufacturers oil recommendations for my motorcycles and cars. I can get Castrol and Maxima 5W-40 synthetic motorcycle oils at wholesale but have to order them and by the time the shipping costs, inflated by Hazmat shipping regulations, are added they will cost as much or more as the Valvoline at my local Walmart. Plus it's so much simpler to stop by Walmart when I need any. I'll have to give this some more thought.

Sorry this post got so long winded. Thanks again for your input.

Mike

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't worry about the use of 10W-40, but people should understand that it is not the "recommended" weight, and make that decision for themselves. We should also remember that the BRP oils do not even carry viscosity labeling, only "summer" and "winter" weights, plus an "all-climate" grade. Hard for them to throw rocks at our use of a quality oil, as long as it carries the same upper label weight as they recommend, and is not specifically prohibited. I never thought about the "recommended" vs "prohibited" wording. I like the way you think!

If I can find it, I intend to use the Valvoline full syn in Nancy's Spyder next time around. I have always had good luck with their dino oils...even with the use of multi-grade oils in my old relics which specified single grade oils. Never had an engine failure or a clutch failure with those.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Post Just to clear up something

mobil 1 mx4t is now mobil 1 racing 4t and the mx4t has the sm rating and the 4t does not but on their website the name was changed but the formula was not
    something is not right?

Roger

Spyder Garage

i am using Motul 5w40 full synth motorcycle oil. meets all the brp requirements

had the dealer order it for me and since i got my spyder there he gave me a good price on it ..

but they also and many other mc dealerships have the casteroil 5w40 mc oil ... just call around to Honda or Yamaha dealers see if they carry it..

Spyder Garage

I was just at AUTOZONE and just for haha's i picked up a bottle of mobil 1 4t and sure as the nose on my face on that bottle was an SM rating now i know that the oil i picked up did not have it on there but as per my previous post "they changed the name but not the formula" So now i'am thinking change the oil again just to be safe! i just did my bike and my daughters both less than 75 miles on the oil do you think i should change the filters or would it be ok?

Roger

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Roger, If I were in that situation (only 75 miles on the oil) I would change the oil to a non-SM oil but leave the filter as is. But, as I mentioned above, I am not an expert on oils. There would be a small amount of retained Mobil 1 in the filter, and this some mixture of the two oils, but I can't imagine that this would be create any problem.

My $.02, and probably not worth a penny more!

Mike

Spyder Garage

Thank you likestoride i have made a decision for a piece of mind i will change the oil and filters i don't know why i thought i could save a few bucks by switching so i'am going back to amsoil to stay it works and never any trouble maybe down the road mobil 1 will figure out what they put in there bottles. I'am pretty sure the stuff i bought was ok but how can they say the name changed but the formula did not when it obviously did?

Roger