Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 UPDATE

What was the reason for the formulation change to the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40?Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is an internationally available product and, as such, represents advanced global technology. With the release of the recent JASO motorcycle standard (MA 2006), an opportunity was presented to again upgrade the Mobil 1 Racing 4T formulation such that it continues to meet and/or exceed the latest industry and OEM standards for motorcycles.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 motor oil has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.

The motorcycle oil also has more phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection at high engine speeds and high loads.

In addition, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 has a high performance dispersant/detergent technology for better high-temperature performance and engine cleanliness. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is also offered in a different viscosity grade than Mobil 1 for passenger cars.

Freebob..

Registered Users InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sounds good, but does has anyone seen where can it be pruchased in Florida?
    I am using Mobile 1 now in my RT and it has the correct API Service SL.
    Purchased at Wal-Mart for $28.00 5 Qt container 10-W-40.
    Thanks for the update. C-YA RL
    Last edited by InspectorGadget; 03-04-2011 at 01:15 PM.
    It wasn't MEEEEE!!!!

Spyder Garage

At least one member here has had a clutch failure as a result of using this new formulation. That puzzles me, and may be coincidence, but until I see more evidence that this oil works, it is off my preferred list. Please also keep in mind that this oil is marked with an API SM rating, which is expressly prohibited by BRP. Any oil-related failure when using this oil, would likely not be warrantied. Use at your own risk.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

It was me that had the clutch fail. My mechanic was very positive it was the oil, Mobil 1 4t motorcycle oil. I was very lucky they warranted the failure but was told not a second time. Staying with BRP from now on. I know there are other brands but I just dont want to pay in excess of $500.00 for a replacement clutch.

Spyder Garage

Is this oil ok to use???

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50

willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    Is this oil ok to use???

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50

willy
    Not in my opinion! BRP specifies a full synthetic or synthetic blend with a viscosity of 5W-40. While 10W-40 shouldn't pose problems, 20W-50 is too heavy, IMO.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Not in my opinion! BRP specifies a full synthetic or synthetic blend with a viscosity of 5W-40. While 10W-40 shouldn't pose problems, 20W-50 is too heavy, IMO.
    My question is: what would you suggest as an alternative to the BRP oil?

Spyder Garage

Default oil and warranty

I understand the warranty restrictions but my question is. If I change the oil and filters myself based on mileage and I use oil that meets the BRP specs but not BRP oil and there is a clutch failure. 1. How would they know which oil was used? 2. Suppose that I use a oil of higher viscosity and have a failure, how would they know ?

In theory I could use any brand/viscosity when I change and if there was a problem it would be simple to then put in the BRP oil and say that is what I always use.

I do keep my receipts for filters and oil purchases just in case but without chemical analysis it would be very difficult to prove that you used the "wrong" oil.

Spyder Garage

"I do keep my receipts for filters and oil purchases just in case but without chemical analysis it would be very difficult to prove that you used the "wrong" oil."

Difficult to prove suggests law suit. Law suit means lawyers. Lawyers mean $$$$. The scenario is that they say you didn't use the right oil. You say you did. Guess what? "We got a problem Houston". Get your wallet out.

Chris PE# 0004
    Last edited by MouthPiece; 03-04-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Not sure what I did is allowed

Spyder Garage

Default Mobile 1 4T 10 w 40 motorcycle oil

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    At least one member here has had a clutch failure as a result of using this new formulation. That puzzles me, and may be coincidence, but until I see more evidence that this oil works, it is off my preferred list. Please also keep in mind that this oil is marked with an API SM rating, which is expressly prohibited by BRP. Any oil-related failure when using this oil, would likely not be warrantied. Use at your own risk.
    I seriously doubt that if he was indeed was using Mobile 1 4t motorcycle oil and not Mobil auto oil he would have had any problems, I have used the
    4T in all my wet clutch bikes for years and used it in my 2008 GS sm5 exclusively for 2 yrs. with no problems and now in my 2010 RT-S SM5, I swear by this oil, Someone on here said he bought Gallon or 5 qt container
    for 28.00 I have only seen the 4T motorcycle oil in Quart bottles @ 9.00 ea. he better use that reg Mobile 1 oil in his Auto not Spyder

Freebob...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post
    I understand the warranty restrictions but my question is. If I change the oil and filters myself based on mileage and I use oil that meets the BRP specs but not BRP oil and there is a clutch failure. 1. How would they know which oil was used? 2. Suppose that I use a oil of higher viscosity and have a failure, how would they know ?

In theory I could use any brand/viscosity when I change and if there was a problem it would be simple to then put in the BRP oil and say that is what I always use.

I do keep my receipts for filters and oil purchases just in case but without chemical analysis it would be very difficult to prove that you used the "wrong" oil.
    Your receipt should show the type of oil, in this computer age. At any rate, the burden of proof would be on you, if you did your own service, to show that the oil used met the specs, and was changed in a timely fashion. In reality, it would, indeed, take chemical tests for positive proof, but it is your receipts and records that they would look at...and question. Like I said, use at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post
    I seriously doubt that if he was indeed was using Mobile 1 4t motorcycle oil and not Mobil auto oil he would have had any problems, I have used the
    4T in all my wet clutch bikes for years and used it in my 2008 GS sm5 exclusively for 2 yrs. with no problems and now in my 2010 RT-S SM5, I swear by this oil, Someone on here said he bought Gallon or 5 qt container
    for 28.00 I have only seen the 4T motorcycle oil in Quart bottles @ 9.00 ea. he better use that reg Mobile 1 oil in his Auto not Spyder

Freebob...
    I have used the old Mobil1 4T formulation. It worked just fine with wet clutches. With a JASO MA rating, the new stuff should, too. The API SM rating remains a mystery, however. An oil meeting JASO MA should not meet API SM standards, and vice versa...at least that has never been able to be done before. Unfortunately, we have little user data on this new oil in a Spyder. What we have shows problems. That is good enough for me to avoid using it in a Spyder until there is some experience with the new stuff.

I am beginning to wonder if the difference lies in the peculiarities of the Spyder clutch. Yes, it is a wet clutch, but it is not conventional. Dry sump engines usually do not have wet clutches...at least not the old stuff I am used to, or my BMWs. The SE5s have shown some sensitivity of the clutch and shifting mechanism to low oil levels. This is not typical, and it may have to do with the fact that the Spyder clutch does not ride in a full sump oil bath, but in a smaller amount of trapped oil, with an additional pressure feed. Just speculating wildly, but the added stresses from this arrangement might make the properties of the oil more critical. I am a mechanic, not an oil scientist, so I am just guessing here. In reality, who knows?

At any rate, I prefer to use an oil that meets the BRP specs, and change it at specified intervals, to assure that my warranty remains intact. Others will havbe to make their own choices.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I changed my oil last summer and put in the Mobil 4T and notice that my clutch was slipping, today I drained it all out and replaced it with Motul 300V 4T racing oil. Later today I will ride and see how it is, just hope I did not damage the clutch with the Mobil oil in it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    Is this oil ok to use???

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50

willy
    When I had issues using Rotella on the way to Sturgis I replaced it with that oil and it worked fine and saved my clutch. I'm still running that clutch and didn't have to change it out like I thought I would. I have 50K on the Spyder now and I think that was at 20K or so if I remember right.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...hlight=rotella

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post

A clutch is a "wear item" and BRP has no obligation to repair or replace it especially if it was burnt because of slippage.

Spyder Garage

Has anyone used royal purple motorcycle oil i just bought 10 w 40 for my next oil change. I have an SE5 and don't want to ruin the clutch?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandrunr1 View Post
    It was me that had the clutch fail. My mechanic was very positive it was the oil, Mobil 1 4t motorcycle oil. I was very lucky they warranted the failure but was told not a second time. Staying with BRP from now on. I know there are other brands but I just dont want to pay in excess of $500.00 for a replacement clutch.
    1 question...how hard do you ride? A clutch failure could be due to a faulty component (my bet since they fixed it), abusing it "I ride it like I stole it" or wrong oil.
    As has been pointed out the clutch is a wear item and as such its service life will vary greatly depending on use. I just find it hard to believe that Mobil would screw their bike oil up that bad

RAL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CincySpyder View Post
    Has anyone used royal purple motorcycle oil i just bought 10 w 40 for my next oil change. I have an SE5 and don't want to ruin the clutch?
    I used it for one cycle and then switched to Amsoil. Not sure why I switched, peer pressure, I guess. It worked fine.
    I know Dudley uses it and swears by it.(Of course, we all know Dudley doesn't swear) He is a firm believer in RP.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Simply put, if it has an SM rating, do not use it. There are plenty of other full syn oils out there within BRP specs.
    I used Royal Purple 10/40 in our old RS. It ran flawlessly. Am also planning on using it in our new RT after the 600 mi service. I also like the price, about 8 bucks a qt.

Spyder Garage

As I have posted before, I ran RP 10W40 from 5000 miles to 43,000 miles on our 2008 SE5 without any issues. When I traded the SE5 on our 2010 RT, the transmission was having intermittent slippage at the start. The mechanic said the result was worn out springs...nothing to do with the oil. The SE5 was one of the first SE5 transmissions. I have no proof, but I think that I put more miles than anyone on a 2008 SE5. The mechanic also said that the valves did not need adjusting. They had never been checked before! Yes, I am a firm believer in RP. If anyone has any questions about the oil, call RP and ask any question you may have. I did.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

I have been running RP transmission fluid in my Ford F-150 Harley-Davidson Super Charged Truck now for about 5 months and the truck have never shifted better (130k miles on the bad-boy)! I just replaced the Mobile 1 I had been using to RP 5W-30 in the truck and can honestly tell you the engine is running smoother and it "feels" as if the engine is not working as hard (might just be my old gray matter! ).

Last oil change I put in the Mobil 1 Racing 4T and can say the RT-S runs better, shifts smoother, etc. With that and all of the concern in the above and other posts, I am going to switch over to the Royal Purple next oil change. It is an awesome product and if it makes my F-150 HD feel and run younger plus Dudley swears by it, I am making the move!
    Thanks Jim - a.k.a. SpyderRider

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson

Spyder Garage

I have used 4T for years in BRP wet sump engines. It is rated right at the TOP in most categories of the latest Amsoil oil test.
    When I personally called the Mobil tech line and questioned him about the change to SM he indicated they were changing the rating with the times as often happen every few years in the industry. He also insisted the formulation Did Not change at ALL and 4T is still the 4T we all use regardless of the rating change.
    I think BRP needs to update their requirement based on modern history?

I have 4 quarts of 4T left before they changed the label and will have to decide by mid -summer what to do next?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

FWIW, Valvoline 4T full synthetic 10W-40 motorcycle oil might be a good alternative to the Mobil 1 SM service grade since the Valvoline is Jaso MA2 (also SJ/SG/SF) rated but not SM. On the label it states "Superior Wet Clutch Protection." In this area it's widely available (Walmart, Auto Zone) and $1 per quart cheaper than Mobil 1 4T.

I am perplexed at Mobil 1 4T being both Jaso and SM rated which seems contradictory.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by liketoride2 View Post
    FWIW, Valvoline 4T full synthetic 10W-40 motorcycle oil might be a good alternative to the Mobil 1 SM service grade since the Valvoline is Jaso MA2 (also SJ/SG/SF) rated but not SM. On the label it states "Superior Wet Clutch Protection." In this area it's widely available (Walmart, Auto Zone) and $1 per quart cheaper than Mobil 1 4T.

I am perplexed at Mobil 1 4T being both Jaso and SM rated which seems contradictory.

Mike
    To the best of my knowledge and research, Valvoline does not market a full synthetic motorcycle oil..I have been using their dino oil for years, but it does not meet the Spyder specs.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

API SG, SH/CF JASO MA MOBIL RACING 4T 10W-40 FULLY SYNTHETIC MOTORCYCLE OIL 3-WAY PROTECTION ENGINE,TRANSMISSION,WET CLUTCH PRIMARY. This is what it says on the bottle and it meets all specs for BRP there should not be any issues as far as i know. I was going to take pictures of the bottle but i have to leave for awhile i have no issues with using this oil so far.

Roger

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    API SG, SH/CF JASO MA MOBIL RACING 4T 10W-40 FULLY SYNTHETIC MOTORCYCLE OIL 3-WAY PROTECTION ENGINE,TRANSMISSION,WET CLUTCH PRIMARY. This is what it says on the bottle and it meets all specs for BRP there should not be any issues as far as i know. I was going to take pictures of the bottle but i have to leave for awhile i have no issues with using this oil so far.
    The old bottles are labeled this way...the new bottles are labeled API SM. Supposedly the same oil, but there are some incidents that call that into question.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!