Thread: DPS

Spyder Garage

Default DPS

I have a 2008 with 25,000 plus miles and have had NO problems with anything including the steering. Now with the recall on the DPS, I am in a quandry. I have talked to 2 owners that had the recall done, and are not happy with the results--one of which even sold his bike because he was not happy with the results. I have been notified that a nearby dealer has one ready for me. To do, or not to do?
    Comments will be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Default DPS replaced

I had about 3100 miles on my without a problem. Then the sudden swerves started. Not every time but enough to make driving the not a comfortable experience. Of course I was happy with the steering as it was because I did not know any better. When I was able to get the new DPS installed I jumped at the chance. After the installation the test drive was surprising. I made a few turns in the large parking lot of the dealers and then out on the road. What a difference. Old was good, new was better. Better tracking, easier turns at low speed, no jerky corners. It did take a few hundred miles for me to finely relax on the freeway. Still waiting for the dreaded swerve. 3xxx miles later I am happy with the results, but I did have the initial steering problems so I am biased.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by skeet View Post
    I have a 2008 with 25,000 plus miles and have had NO problems with anything including the steering. Now with the recall on the DPS, I am in a quandry. I have talked to 2 owners that had the recall done, and are not happy with the results--one of which even sold his bike because he was not happy with the results. I have been notified that a nearby dealer has one ready for me. To do, or not to do?
    Comments will be appreciated.

You might not like feel of the new DPS but you'll get use to it, so much so that you'll forget how the old one felt.
    But I'll tell you this if the old DPS starts to take you for a few white knuckle flights across a lane or two,
    You'll be at the dealer the next morning looking for a new DPS.

Spyder Garage

Default works fine

I also have a 2008. Had the DPS upgrade and the steering works fine. Yes, it takes some getting use to but it's better to be safe -than sorry.
    When life throws you a curve - aim for the apex.

Spyder Garage

IMHO it should be done. the old one can become dangerous unpredictably. Make sure that the dealer knows what they are doing

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I drove with a bad DPS to 2010 BRP Chigago event and back.
    My advice to upgrade your Syder with the gen2 DPS: do it
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

I have about 4000km on new dps and find it much better than old unit a lot nicer on curves and passing

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default replace de DPS w/ 25k mls, 2008 RS w/ one year old.

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post
    I had about 3100 miles on my without a problem. Then the sudden swerves started. Not every time but enough to make driving the not a comfortable experience. Of course I was happy with the steering as it was because I did not know any better. When I was able to get the new DPS installed I jumped at the chance. After the installation the test drive was surprising. I made a few turns in the large parking lot of the dealers and then out on the road. What a difference. Old was good, new was better. Better tracking, easier turns at low speed, no jerky corners. It did take a few hundred miles for me to finely relax on the freeway. Still waiting for the dreaded swerve. 3xxx miles later I am happy with the results, but I did have the initial steering problems so I am biased.
    I have the same resolt, after replacement big improviment very happy antill now only 1k mls hope for good time.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question

Went on a Ryde tonight with Teddy & going around a tight corner about 25-30mph it took almost everything I had to keep the turn going. Ive never really had an issue with the DPS, but I'm guessing this is related to it. Teddy's RT-S goes in the shop on Monday for it's 12K check-up & to get the DPS done

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Went on a Ryde tonight with Teddy & going around a tight corner about 25-30mph it took almost everything I had to keep the turn going. Ive never really had an issue with the DPS, but I'm guessing this is related to it. Teddy's RT-S goes in the shop on Monday for it's 12K check-up & to get the DPS done

I had the same happen to me last year, Did it once thought it was me.
    Then it would start doing it quite often ,Especially going around jug handles. Got the new DPS Sept. So far no more white knuckle rides.

Spyder Garage

It would be foolish not to get the DPS replaced.
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do the change-up or risk what BRP calls "an out-of-lane excursion"!