Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS this week

Got a call from Jason at Palmer's earlier this week saying it was "my time" to get the DPS replaced in the RS. I checked the weather and decided it didn't look good for Saturday(today).
    However today, I walked outside early this afternoon, a warm breeze hit me... I called Palmer's , the DPS was still available, I'm on my way. Got the Spyder out of the garage, warmed her up, checked the oil, checked the tires, gave things a look see and we were good to go. It's maybe 45 minutes from home to the dealer ,left around 3PM, overcast but 58-60 degrees! Great to be on the bike, easy ride. Bike ran great.
    So the plan- DPS, steering angle reset, steering lock cylinder(never was able to lock the steering), state inspection, front drive sprocket bolt check, and hopefully next Saturday I get a good day to pick it up!
    Springs around the corner now!!

Bill

Spyder Garage

Done before I received the notice from BRP thanx to hearing about it here...
    The only good view of a thunderstorm is in your rearview mirror.

Spyder Garage

mine has been done as well. Took it in as soon as I had the letter from BRP. So far it's been great!
    Wow what a ride!! Love my spyder!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Talking

DPS getting replaced before I take delivery of 2010RTS

Spyder Garage

done in october

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had mine done last fall. I can feel a big improvement and am pleased with the change.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Padre Spyder View Post
    Mine also went into Limp about 27 miles after I left my Dealer. They reset the steering angle and I haven't had any problems in 4500 miles.
    When we got ours done, they had us ride it a little and then put it back on the rack to be sure the steering angle was still in spec. I think that is probably a good idea but some dealers may short cut that aspect.

Don't know if BRP includes that in the swap proceedure or if our dealership just does it on their own.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

My dealer (One hour drive) Says I would have to leave it overnight as its a 5 hour jobeven though BRP only gives them 2-3 hours labor?
    I,ll try the dealer near me (20 minutes) and see what they say!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

done, ready for tour of virginia in mid july.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Both mine are done in time for riding season, I hope you got yours done too. Best to get it done now than when the rush starts.
    Going tomorrow for DPS #2 on old PE #2929, finally.

BTW, a bit of Coast Guard trivia regarding the expression "beat the rush":

The Revenue Cutter (now US Coast Guard) Rush was a late 19th century scourge on poachers in the Bering Sea looking to illegally harvest seals off the coast of the new American territory of Alaska.

Poachers would try to get their illegal work done quickly to "beat the Rush" if rumor had it that the cutter was nearby.

So...anything I should watch out for THIS TIME I get the DPS installed?!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler View Post
    Going tomorrow for DPS #2 on old PE #2929, finally.

BTW, a bit of Coast Guard trivia regarding the expression "beat the rush":

The Revenue Cutter (now US Coast Guard) Rush was a late 19th century scourge on poachers in the Bering Sea looking to illegally harvest seals off the coast of the new American territory of Alaska.

Poachers would try to get their illegal work done quickly to "beat the Rush" if rumor had it that the cutter was nearby.

So...anything I should watch out for THIS TIME I get the DPS installed?!
    John, you're back, yeah!! Leave it to you to add some trivia to your comment. Glad to have you back on line again.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    John, you're back, yeah!! Leave it to you to add some trivia to your comment. Glad to have you back on line again.
    Ha!

"Back??!"

What do mean, Deb?? I never left!

(I just dozed off...for...a season...)

Still got plenty snow here. Most ever, this winter. You?

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

+Mine was done this past weekend, and it feels slightly less notchy than its forebear.

Ride on.
    Roadkill

Spyder Garage

Smile

Dropped the tangerine terror off today to have it done.

Roger

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Got mine done yesterday.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler View Post
    Ha!

"Back??!"

What do mean, Deb?? I never left!

(I just dozed off...for...a season...)

Still got plenty snow here. Most ever, this winter. You?
    We have actually been getting some rain lately, last snow was Thursday I believe. Still a few piles here and there but today was 50 degrees and sunny. Another day or two like this and we can kiss the remaining snow goodbye. It has been great to get out and ride in the nice weather without my thermosuit. Hope you guys are able to hit the roads real soon.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Both mine and Paladent's were done at Cuba a week ago. My WHAT a difference. It is taking a little getting used to.... really, really responsive on curves, etc. As usual Cowtown took very good care of us. Also replaced very squeeky brakes and adjusted parking brakes. Cowtown is absolutely the greatest.

SpyderLady

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderLady View Post
    Both mine and Paladent's were done at Cuba a week ago. My WHAT a difference. It is taking a little getting used to.... really, really responsive on curves, etc. As usual Cowtown took very good care of us. Also replaced very squeeky brakes and adjusted parking brakes. Cowtown is absolutely the greatest.
    Wow spyderlady i'am lovin the purple "Hey BRP take notice maybe next year"?

Roger

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Dropped old PE#2929 off on Friday night at Pittsfield Lawn & Tractor (Pittsfield, MA) and got a message Saturday morning that it was done.

(I probably should've just camped out in their showroom!)

Brought it back tonight. Yes, of course it was snowing, tho' the temp gauge read 37 degrees. Or maybe that was 37 kilometers...

Anyhow, focussing on the steering for the hour ride home (again, this is my 2nd DPS replacement) it seemed like I had gone from my truck which is about sixteen turns lock-to-lock to a sports car. OK, a slight exaggeration, but, it's not that it didn't go where I aimed it, it's that I thought I was aiming it where I wanted it to go, but I wasn't.

I've read other folks post that their Spyder was "more responsive" after this latest DPS, and I couldn't understand. Previously, would they turn the bars for a while and nothing happen?!

But that's just it.

Now it's all small roads for the drive home, so I never got it above 50mph. It's like for each inch of rotation of the bars, now there is a smaller turning radius than there had been. Noticeably.

Just saying.

Spyder Garage

Hopefully, today is the day I start it up and get it up to the dealer for the DPS, evaporation cannister hose extension, odometer fix, oil change, and addition of mods!!

Pray that it starts right up. It's sat for quite a while. On a battery tender. But, still. It's been a while. It's a chilly 39 degrees. But, I'll bundle up. Snow in the forecast for tomorrow and Friday. It will be there for a while with all that needs doing.

Don't know quite what I'll do if it doesn't start right up. Punt, a guess. The service people said not to jump start it. So I won't try. Pushing it up on the trailer will be a bit of an effort with it not running. But, we will manage. Somehow. I'm hoping that all goes well.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBT View Post
    .....The service people said not to jump start it. So I won't try.
    Interesting! Instructions not to jump start a vehicle that has dedicated jump start terminals under the seat? I don't remember instructions to that erffect in the Owners Guide, but I am going to have to look. very confusing!!!

I hope everything goes well, and you don't have to test the theory.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Interesting! Instructions not to jump start a vehicle that has dedicated jump start terminals under the seat? I don't remember instructions to that erffect in the Owners Guide, but I am going to have to look. very confusing!!!

I hope everything goes well, and you don't have to test the theory.

Just a though , Scotty Could the Service Guy meant don't do it like the old days, And Roll it down a hill then drop the clutch.
    Back when at the strip we would do it in reverse.[lower gearing]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post

Just a though , Scotty Could the Service Guy meant don't do it like the old days, And Roll it down a hill then drop the clutch.
    Back when at the strip we would do it in reverse.[lower gearing]

Ah, the days of push starts at the races. You are dating yourself, you old fossil!
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Scotty, I just posted in the "shop talk" forum. Are you saying that I did not have to take the panels off the Spyder to access the batter to jump start it?? I think I'm going to go crazy here if that is the case.

I am plumb worn out from all this today. Gosh, now I'll probably have to put the panels back on to transport. I'll probably have to back the trailer in to our workshop building with the Spyder on it, as it's going to snow tomorrow. Un-hook the truck so the door will close. It's going to snow tonight. Probably won't get the Spyder to the dealer now until Saturday.

I'm about ready to scream here! I so wish there were a Spyder owner near me willing to help me out. Anyone?? Near Portsmouth, NH???? I'm completely wiped out.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBT View Post
    Scotty, I just posted in the "shop talk" forum. Are you saying that I did not have to take the panels off the Spyder to access the batter to jump start it?? I think I'm going to go crazy here if that is the case.

I am plumb worn out from all this today. Gosh, now I'll probably have to put the panels back on to transport. I'll probably have to back the trailer in to our workshop building with the Spyder on it, as it's going to snow tomorrow. Un-hook the truck so the door will close. It's going to snow tonight. Probably won't get the Spyder to the dealer now until Saturday.

I'm about ready to scream here! I so wish there were a Spyder owner near me willing to help me out. Anyone?? Near Portsmouth, NH???? I'm completely wiped out.
    I hesitate to tell you, because it might make you scream. Yes, the Spyder has auxiliary terminals under the seat, which can be used to charge the battery, or jump start the Spyder following the directions in the Owners Guide (p. 92 of the 2008 manual).
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!