Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spark Plug Wire Recommendation

Anyone had luck with after market spark plug wires?
    I searched the threads and had seen some "attempts" but no good followups.
    I have one bad, maybe both, and it seems to be fairly common, so why replace wth same thing right?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blinc View Post
    Anyone had luck with after market spark plug wires?
    I searched the threads and had seen some "attempts" but no good followups.
    I have one bad, maybe both, and it seems to be fairly common, so why replace wth same thing right?

I had major problems with the stock wires back in Sept. I couldn't find a replacement other than stock. One thing i did learn; DON'T mess too much with the stock wires, They will damage very easy.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Plug Wires

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post

I had major problems with the stock wires back in Sept. I couldn't find a replacement other than stock. One thing i did learn; DON'T mess too much with the stock wires, They will damage very easy.
    I only have about 13000 miles on my 2008 spyder. when I ride now after a while several hours or so when the bike is warm but never over heated gets up to 6 bars at traffic lite's but cooling fan never comes on, but its hot. when I have stopped the motor several times the next time I start it it seems to have a miss at even throttle and runs that way until I leave it set to cool over night. The next time I ride it, all is well for awhile. I guess what I want to know is this maybe the way yours acted with bad wires ?

any help you can give me will be appreciated. If you don't want to type your answer call me 772-335-0529

Chuck / Chasbadger

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chasbadger View Post
    I only have about 13000 miles on my 2008 spyder. when I ride now after a while several hours or so when the bike is warm but never over heated gets up to 6 bars at traffic lite's but cooling fan never comes on, but its hot. when I have stopped the motor several times the next time I start it it seems to have a miss at even throttle and runs that way until I leave it set to cool over night. The next time I ride it, all is well for awhile. I guess what I want to know is this maybe the way yours acted with bad wires ?

any help you can give me will be appreciated. If you don't want to type your answer call me 772-335-0529

Chuck / Chasbadger
    My guess is you have a bad fan relay.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chasbadger View Post

Chuck / Chasbadger

I also have an 08, As soon as the engine got warm steady throttle would cause a stumble[miss]
    But i could ride though it, Eventually the wire started to really ark and then only fire on one cylinder.
    With 13 thousand miles your still covered under the Federal emissions warranty. Hopes this helps

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is an article from the Can-am ATV form about replacement plug wires...I DON'T know if they are the same as our Spyders...

Posted Yesterday, 10:41 PM
    I think it's more of a non interference thing for EFI. I know on my Renegade turbo, I have a ViPec ecu, and it does not like non resistor plugs. It really messes up the USB communication between the laptop & the ecu. I finally found a good & cold resistor plug to run.

I have also seen these go bad on stock bikes. They get to where they will fire at times, sometimes not. Jusr replace with a good plug wire & end. The plug end is self explanatory, the coil end is the same as a GM LS series coil, like on late GM V-8's. MSD makes the wires & ends.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Just replace with a good plug wire & end. The plug end is self explanatory, the coil end is the same as a GM LS series coil, like on late GM V-8's. MSD makes the wires & ends.
    I've wondered the same thing. I have made more than one custom set in my day (as I'm sure most of us have!) and I don't see why that couldn't be done here.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    I've wondered the same thing. I have made more than one custom set in my day (as I'm sure most of us have!) and I don't see why that couldn't be done here.

In the old days i would also make my own wires' to fit around tuned headers [Packard 440,s] But i;m thinking because of computer's [ecm] just any old wire will not work.
    Besides the stock wires are not that expensive, Delicate yes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    In the old days i would also make my own wires' to fit around tuned headers [Packard 440,s] But i;m thinking because of computer's [ecm] just any old wire will not work.
    You are right. The CanBus system is very sensitive to RFI. Good suppression wires are a must.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default "stock wires"

I ran into one of the origonal guys that worked for Can-Am and was on the origonal BRP video told me that the 2008 spyder was built from off the shelf parts that was available at the time... that is why the rear wheel has two pick ups and the front only has one.. that would suggest that the wires was an off the shelf set of wires but the they are obviously crap, and I suspect they may be that way for a reason!! I would like to know the specs for the wires.. as far as the wire is concerned, im under the conclusion that the wires are radio resistant, and that is fairly common.. there used to ba a common thing for local auto parts stores to assemble spark plug wires from a specified length as requested by the customer, a lot of these were for local racing and hot rod guys!! I would like to find some one to assemble a set of wires for the spyder for me just for testing. may be I'll start with a set of wires for from a 4 banger like a pinto...lol after all the origonal air filter was a standard off the shelf filter made by Fram for almost every 4 banger made in the last 10 years....lol any suggestions of off the shelf wirews for a common car that will work well would be appreciated!!!! Im tired of wating a week for parts for every thing that I have to have replaced!!! last week it was an O2 sensor, this week it was plug wires because the plugs need to be replaced and the ones on the unit "" just fell apart""" Im truly tired of wating for ever every time i need a part!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thespyderryder View Post
    I ran into one of the origonal guys that worked for Can-Am and was on the origonal BRP video told me that the 2008 spyder was built from off the shelf parts that was available at the time... that is why the rear wheel has two pick ups and the front only has one.. that would suggest that the wires was an off the shelf set of wires but the they are obviously crap, and I suspect they may be that way for a reason!! I would like to know the specs for the wires.. as far as the wire is concerned, im under the conclusion that the wires are radio resistant, and that is fairly common.. there used to ba a common thing for local auto parts stores to assemble spark plug wires from a specified length as requested by the customer, a lot of these were for local racing and hot rod guys!! I would like to find some one to assemble a set of wires for the spyder for me just for testing. may be I'll start with a set of wires for from a 4 banger like a pinto...lol after all the origonal air filter was a standard off the shelf filter made by Fram for almost every 4 banger made in the last 10 years....lol any suggestions of off the shelf wirews for a common car that will work well would be appreciated!!!! Im tired of wating a week for parts for every thing that I have to have replaced!!! last week it was an O2 sensor, this week it was plug wires because the plugs need to be replaced and the ones on the unit "" just fell apart""" Im truly tired of wating for ever every time i need a part!!
    I understand your desires and frustrations, but please don't substitute non-resistor wires on a Spyder. It is an invitation to disaster! The EFI will adversly affect the CANbus, and if you have an SE, the shifting will likely be affected. Your warranty will not cover these problems.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have found some very good quality plug wire kits online. You generally have to crimp one end yourself, but it allows you to make them to proper length.

Considering what I just spent on two BRP plug wires, I can get a set of 8 resistor wires in a kit for about the same amount if not less. I believe I already have the proper crimping tool, and if not, the proper crimping frame. All I would need is the proper mandibles.

We'll see... Add it to the "get around to list".
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Lamont and I have something in the works right now. We should have a working set soon. We want to try them out on our Spyders before we tout them to the Spyder world but I'm pretty sure they will knock your socks off when we are done.

They will look cool (admittedly kind of a waste on the Spyder) but more importantly, they should be a fine upgrade in several respects.

Stay tuned!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    Why, do they leak?
    When our wires fire, you'll feel it all the way down to your toes!

spydee owner

So, you are saying that a company BRP (Rotax engines) that has made millions of engines,
    and has a successful racing program for many of their products does not know how to either make or spec a quality wire for their engines?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydee owner View Post
    So, you are saying that a company BRP (Rotax engines) that has made millions of engines,
    and has a successful racing program for many of their products does not know how to either make or spec a quality wire for their engines?
    The Spyder spark plug wires aren't stellar but they aren't a huge issue either. My feeling is the wires take a lot more heat than the average motorcycle SP wire with all the heat being held in by the tupperware.

And why would BRP or any other company re-invent the wheel for spark plug wires? Like oil and many other products, the manufacturer is smart to use existing, off the shelf products. They are readily available, usually less expensive and tested parts. The real trick is to get the part that will do the job.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The Spyder spark plug wires aren't stellar but they aren't a huge issue either. My feeling is the wires take a lot more heat than the average motorcycle SP wire with all the heat being held in by the tupperware.

And why would BRP or any other company re-invent the wheel for spark plug wires? Like oil and many other products, the manufacturer is smart to use existing, off the shelf products. They are readily available, usually less expensive and tested parts. The real trick is to get the part that will do the job.
    More spark plug wires are damaged when disconnecting them than any other reason...although they all break down in time, and that is accelerated by heat and humidity/rain.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

spydee owner

Default plug wires

Even in automotive new designs, they end up using existing parts for other cars.

The dodge viper started out this way. There will be (guaranteed) parts on that car that are common with other vehicles.
    Sure, we could have really high efficiency wires, and spyder specific air filter etc., but then we would be complaining more than we already do about the price of a new spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    More spark plug wires are damaged when disconnecting them than any other reason...although they all break down in time, and that is accelerated by heat and humidity/rain.
    Very true. The fact that the plug ends are hard to get to makes it very tempting to pull on the wire instead of the boot. The soft silicone boot also tends to be a issue.

If all goes well (and it always does, right?) these new wire sets will reslove both these issues, or at least make it better.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydee owner View Post
    Even in automotive new designs, they end up using existing parts for other cars.

The dodge viper started out this way. There will be (guaranteed) parts on that car that are common with other vehicles.
    Sure, we could have really high efficiency wires, and spyder specific air filter etc., but then we would be complaining more than we already do about the price of a new spyder.

In the heyday of the big 3 auto industry--- parts were really common amongst each brand (not necessarily between brands)-- and it made working on cars a dream for swapping parts, etc.... I recall putting a small block 400 into a Buick Apollo once-----mated up to the tranny just fine-- although the engine mounts were a bit different--- nothing welding a bar onto them couldn't fix--- until the weld broke from torque and the engine jumped up enough to dent my hood! lol

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Spark Plug Wires

Lamont and I have something in the works right now. We should have a working set soon. We want to try them out on our Spyders before we tout them to the Spyder world but I'm pretty sure they will knock your socks off when we are done.

They will look cool (admittedly kind of a waste on the Spyder) but more importantly, they should be a fine upgrade in several respects.

Stay tuned!
    Any news on these yet ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    Any news on these yet ?
    yeah.. tell Lamont to bring some to the Adirondacks... I'll buy a pair.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    Any news on these yet ?
    We are getting closer. Took some time to find the correct coil end. Parts are on the way and I hope to have a working late this week. If all goes well I will start making sets in a few weeks.

We want to make sure the wires play well in the sandbox with the ECU! I do not expect any issues but you don't know till you try.

Spyder Garage

Stay tuned!
    And here, in 2021, 10 years later, I am relying on your work that started wayyyyy back when! Thank you, Ron, for your commitment to helping us have the best Spyders EVER! <3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderLinder View Post
    And here, in 2021, 10 years later, I am relying on your work that started wayyyyy back when! Thank you, Ron, for your commitment to helping us have the best Spyders EVER! <3
    A lot of wire sets have gone out the door since then. I'm glad we could help.