Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Aftermarket exhaust

My wife just got a 2009 RS, SE5. We are already looking at replacing the stock muffler. When doing this do you have to replace the air filter to a high flow and have the ECM reprogrammed? When I installed Vance and Hines slip-ons on my Harley I had to do this. Has anyone replace their stock mufflers and what brands do ya'll recommend.

Looking forward to hearing from some of ya'll on our question.

thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I went to the Hindle, replaced stock filter with K&N (slips right into the box) and added the 0-2 modifier that was a plug in...no modification to the mapping....Big improvement in sound and response.

Spyder Garage

Default Hindle only.

I also replaced my stock with a Hindle 12 thousand miles ago. I have added nothing besides that. No juice box or anything else. I hooked it up in 5 minutes and have rode it ever since. That being said, it may be why I have some backfiring sometimes when decelerating and a higher idle sometimes for a short period of time when stopping at a stoplight. I am thinking of going back to my stock exhaust and see if it makes a difference with the back firing/fast idling.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by COOLMACHINE View Post
    I also replaced my stock with a Hindle 12 thousand miles ago. I have added nothing besides that. No juice box or anything else. I hooked it up in 5 minutes and have rode it ever since. That being said, it may be why I have some backfiring sometimes when decelerating and a higher idle sometimes for a short period of time when stopping at a stoplight. I am thinking of going back to my stock exhaust and see if it makes a difference with the back firing/fast idling.
    did you get the ecm update after the hindle?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    ECM update you say? First I have heard of this, though it would make sense to do that. I went with a performance air filter and O2 Modifier shortly after the Hindle install. The O2 Modifier cured the minor backfire issue That developed and I never looked back. The combination of all three pieces work well together and have made a big difference in performance.

I will call my dealer tomorrow and see if I can find out more about this ECM update. Is there a BRP bulletin out on the matter that you know of?
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

I have a yoshimura tri oval exhaust, no 02 modifier, stock air filter. Mine is excellent, no backfiring on deaccel or anything. I have been considering going to the kewlmetal performance filter and o2 modifier for more performance, but not needed. The BRP EFI system compensates pretty well for some aftermarket exhausts. It may run a little lean or rich for a little bit until it gets used to the new exhaust. Also, not every exhaust is the same. Some allow more flow or less flow and may be too much for the stock system (hence people needing the o2 modifier).
    "You will never see a bike in front of a therapist's office, because riding is the best therapy there is, skip the shrink, buy a bike!"

Spyder Garage

That Yoshi can looks sick, dude! I'm lovin it!! I've heard that sport bike guys that get the exhaust systems put on need to hook up to a computer for a re-tune. If they don't the bike doesn't run very well at all. I always wondered if we had to do the same as well but I have never heard any mention of it until tonight...
    Last edited by Raptor; 02-21-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by COOLMACHINE View Post
    Same here. I am going to give the Hindle to the hubby though... I purchased an HMF for myself that should be here Friday. I have a O2 modifier standing by.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    Same here. I am going to give the Hindle to the hubby though... I purchased an HMF for myself that should be here Friday. I have a O2 modifier standing by.
    Nice choice! It's good you have THE O2 Modifier on hand. You'll have to take a pic or two when you get that bad boy installed!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Nice choice! It's good you have THE O2 Modifier on hand. You'll have to take a pic or two when you get that bad boy installed!
    I'm pretty sure I will be just as happy with the HMF as I was with the Hindle. I hope I don't have to put the O2 modifier in.

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies

Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure I will be just as happy with the HMF as I was with the Hindle. I hope I don't have to put the O2 modifier in.
    I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you will, as the HMF can is much less restrictive as opposed to the Hindle. But not to worry; the O2 Modifier is a snap to put in. I think you'll enjoy the new can much more.

The Hindle is a decent can but I would not put another one on. I'm weighing options for a replacement.

Spyder Garage

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you will, as the HMF can is much less restrictive as opposed to the Hindle. But not to worry; the O2 Modifier is a snap to put in. I think you'll enjoy the new can much more.

The Hindle is a decent can but I would not put another one on. I'm weighing options for a replacement.
    Yes, I too have heard that about the HMF. I will report back.

Spyder Garage

Wink

I stayed away from HMF and Yosh for only one reason. They sound a lot like my ATVs do that I ran both on. (Very similar cans).

That is the only reason. They are both very good in quality from my experience.

We went with the Two Brothers new Black Dual exhaust and their Tuner Kit that includes two sets of tips, K&N filter and the PRO Tuner.

VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY happy we made that choice... From my seat of pants feel.. It seems the 1400-5200 rpms take longer to get through than the 5300-9500 do!

This is a TOTALLY different bike now that we can crank the throttle. The sound is perfect... Not to heavy and not crotch rocket sounding...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

That Yoshi can looks sick, dude! I'm lovin it!! I've heard that sport bike guys that get the exhaust systems put on need to hook up to a computer for a re-tune. If they don't the bike doesn't run very well at all. I always wondered if we had to do the same as well but I have never heard any mention of it until tonight...
    Yea, I like how it looks on there. No tune needed for mine.

From the videos I have seen the HMF sounds great, a lot throatier than my yosh (at least from the sound in the video).

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    I stayed away from HMF and Yosh for only one reason. They sound a lot like my ATVs do that I ran both on. (Very similar cans).

That is the only reason. They are both very good in quality from my experience.

We went with the Two Brothers new Black Dual exhaust and their Tuner Kit that includes two sets of tips, K&N filter and the PRO Tuner.

VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY happy we made that choice... From my seat of pants feel.. It seems the 1400-5200 rpms take longer to get through than the 5300-9500 do!

This is a TOTALLY different bike now that we can crank the throttle. The sound is perfect... Not to heavy and not crotch rocket sounding...
    I don't think it sounds very ATVish, wish it was slightly deeper tone, but still love how she sounds...
    "You will never see a bike in front of a therapist's office, because riding is the best therapy there is, skip the shrink, buy a bike!"

Spyder Garage

Here's a great thread that helped me choose my latest exhaust:I installed a new HMF and absolutely love it, but this thread will show you lots of good options.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...light=exhausts

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nanaskids View Post
    My wife just got a 2009 RS, SE5. We are already looking at replacing the stock muffler. When doing this do you have to replace the air filter to a high flow and have the ECM reprogrammed? When I installed Vance and Hines slip-ons on my Harley I had to do this. Has anyone replace their stock mufflers and what brands do ya'll recommend.

Looking forward to hearing from some of ya'll on our question.

thanks
    I live in Rendon, TX. I have the Kewlmetal performance exhaust (no longer sold) and most people wouldn't like it. It's "a bit" loud. That being said, all I did was add the O2 modifier, let it idle for about 15 minutes after the install and off I went. It runs fine with no backfires and I love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ran with just the two bro pipe and had some backfiring.I installed the O2 sensor mod and backfiring gone and runs great.Over the winter I installed green air filter and JB pro and removed O2 mod because JB pro directions said so.Runs good just have to wait til winter to be over and stop snowing so I can give it some good runs.

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

ECM update you say? First I have heard of this, though it would make sense to do that. I went with a performance air filter and O2 Modifier shortly after the Hindle install. The O2 Modifier cured the minor backfire issue That developed and I never looked back. The combination of all three pieces work well together and have made a big difference in performance.

I will call my dealer tomorrow and see if I can find out more about this ECM update. Is there a BRP bulletin out on the matter that you know of?

I think it was back in late summer of 2009 when the first dps recall was addressed with a reflash of the ECM d/t complaints of problems with the steering. After the reflash there were some with mods that complained of perfromance issues. It was after that, I believe, that BRP addressed the performance issue with another reflash. This is from memory b/c I never had a spyder performace issue d/t no performance mods.

I think also around the same time frame is when there was a bulletin issued with a s/n break for the vent hose. I'm not sure if the perfromance reflash of the ECM is on that bulletin. In one of my previous posts I mentioned the bulletin number for the vent hose. I'm off to work now, so I won't be able to look for it.

Here it is: It is actually called a 'Quality Bulletin' and the number is 2009-4. This bulletin includes the vent hose. But, I remember the dealer saying it had over 30 pages; so, something else is included in it besides the vent hose. I hope this helps and I don't just have you chasing your tail. If it doesn't, sorry.
    Oh, where are my manners. Welcome aboard nanaskids!
    Last edited by wyliec; 02-21-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    There is no ECM update required with the Hindle.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Do you still have O2 sensor? Are you interested in selling?
    Quote Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post
    I ran with just the two bro pipe and had some backfiring.I installed the O2 sensor mod and backfiring gone and runs great.Over the winter I installed green air filter and JB pro and removed O2 mod because JB pro directions said so.Runs good just have to wait til winter to be over and stop snowing so I can give it some good runs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I think it was back in late summer of 2009 when the first dps recall was addressed with a reflash of the ECM d/t complaints of problems with the steering. After the reflash there were some with mods that complained of perfromance issues. It was after that, I believe, that BRP addressed the performance issue with another reflash. This is from memory b/c I never had a spyder performace issue d/t no performance mods.

I think also around the same time frame is when there was a bulletin issued with a s/n break for the vent hose. I'm not sure if the perfromance reflash of the ECM is on that bulletin. In one of my previous posts I mentioned the bulletin number for the vent hose. I'm off to work now, so I won't be able to look for it.

Here it is: It is actually called a 'Quality Bulletin' and the number is 2009-4. This bulletin includes the vent hose. But, I remember the dealer saying it had over 30 pages; so, something else is included in it besides the vent hose. I hope this helps and I don't just have you chasing your tail. If it doesn't, sorry.
    Oh, where are my manners. Welcome aboard nanaskids!
    Many thanks, this is great information. I'm pretty sure that one got done but I'll double check with the guys in the shop. And I forgot to say WELCOME to nanaskids too!

and congrats on your Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet24 View Post

I don't think it sounds very ATVish, wish it was slightly deeper tone, but still love how she sounds...
    Totally understand that. I should clarify... All of our ATV's are tricked out 4-strokes and have far more power than stock. We also buy the new headers and power kits. This completely changes the sound. Just like going from one Two Brothers can to two. Night and day different in sound.

I am just saying to us... That is what it sounds like. HMF makes very good exhaust, and Yosh reminds me a lot like Sony... They have excellent products, but you pay for their name. I think the HMF product is a better value.

And to be brutally honest. Anything other than the factory sound is better!
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    There is no ECM update required with the Hindle.
    Yes there is. It's the second update for bikes with Hindles. My bike was stuttering/surging and called the dealer. Asked if I had a Hindle told me to stop by for a reflash. Worked perfect ever since.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just bought the HMF carbon for my wifes phantom. I'm sure it will be loud.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    Totally understand that. I should clarify... All of our ATV's are tricked out 4-strokes and have far more power than stock. We also buy the new headers and power kits. This completely changes the sound. Just like going from one Two Brothers can to two. Night and day different in sound.

I am just saying to us... That is what it sounds like. HMF makes very good exhaust, and Yosh reminds me a lot like Sony... They have excellent products, but you pay for their name. I think the HMF product is a better value.

And to be brutally honest. Anything other than the factory sound is better!
    Well, luckily mine came with the yosh, so I didnt have to pay for it
    If it came down to me having to fork out the money or my exhaust, I am not sure what I would have put in, but I would have shopped around for a while before making a decision.