Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Seal Floorboards, my review

Have now had the Seal FloorBoards known by me as (SFB) about a month and have been able to try them
    in the twisties, around town and on the freeway.

I previously had the Kewl Metal HighwayBoards, known by me as (KMHB)and they were great. I had my dealership do
    that install, and was hoping that Tupperware would not have to come off for these to go on. And that was the case the
    SFB was able to lay right over the brackets without interfering.

I had to abbreviate these two manufactures names or I would have never finished this thread.I hope you don't mind.

Seal Floorboard for RTSE5

KewlMetal Highway Board

I was told this was an easy install, and it was, I feel so accomplished now that I have added something to the bike that
    I did not have to pay the dealership to do. This one was about as advanced as I get with a wrench The directions
    were simple and straight forward. For me it would have been a little easier if I knew what tool sizes I needed. That way
    everything happens faster, but I was in no hurry and taking photos as I went along.

I was initially gonna wait to acquire these at spyderfest but after seeing some photos that Floridaryder provided. That was all
    it took to seal the deal. (no pun intended)

These look to me like they were designed for the bike by BRP. And that is the main reason I switched. More about that further down.

After placing the order on their website, I received a quick email response from John at http://sealfloorboards.com/ and informed
    that another batch was do at the end of the week, and would go out shortly there after. I received them within two days. Wow
    Did I Mention he has free shipping till March 31st 2011

I opened the package that was extremely well wrapped.

I removed the KMB but was relieved that the Highway bracket did not have to be removed for
    these boards to fit.

I removed a few bolts and making allot of progress.

In no time at all I had one of each type on. So I sat in the saddle and noticed some differences. For me some were good and
    some needed some getting use to. I had ridden with the KMHB for about 10k miles with no problems what so ever. So what are
    the differences between stock KMHB and SFB's?

The SFB allows the most multiple foot positions, with no pressure on the ball of the foot from
    an extended ride like I would experience on an extended ride with the stock pegs.

The KMHB has the ability to place the board in whatever angle your foot and ankle feels most comfortable in. And
    then you tighten it down or add an extra extension (2 provided ). I used the extentions so that my leg would be stretched
    out the furthest it possibly could.

With both Boards you learn to ride the bike with weight transferred by pushing down with your legs and foot in a turn.
    And you can go back and forth with ease. In fact many times the riding position I liked was left foot up on highwayboard
    and right foot on stock peg.

Now with the SFB there is no adjustment, it's already been predetermined. If you are coming from no other set up
    than what is offered on the stock RT, there will be no re- learning or comparison issues. You will most likely love all the
    choices you are given. Infact I have placed on the angled rest my foot sometimes in various positions.

see photos below: (These are not the shoes i ride with) The model I used for the foot photo shoot was not told this was a motorcycle shoot,
    and his foot will not be used again.

Oh and one more thing I wanna mention, these boards also make it very easy to get on and off for rider and passenger
    as you can put your entire weight on the horizontal platform. The angled foot rest can withstand up to 150 lbs,
    which is more than you will need to keep you wedged in the saddle and taking turns agreeively.

You are probably asking why I switched, for me it was just the look seemed more in-tune with the bike (jmo)

If John had not come up with these 6 months ago I would still be happy with what I had added.

I am in the process of adding some changes to my board and have been in contact via email with John @ SFB on adding
    a rubber tread design. Not so much for the grip but when I would wear my cowboy boots I noticed small scratches
    in the powder coat from caused by road debris from the bottom of my shoe. Or my dirty boots would leave a footprint.

Some have wanted for when it's raining a safety grip and John has been looking into that. Although I have not experienced
    any slip while riding in the rain.

So I just started thinking what could cover this up as a remedy. I think I am pretty close to a very useful, functional
    and attractive addition to the SFB.

I have cut out a rubber and added a chrome border that to the naked eye looks factory. need a better camera to show
    you all. I used Velcro and double sided tape that keeps it affixed no problem, but will probably use a permanent glue
    everywhere except near the bolts to give it that finished seal look!. (pun intended) This way the SFB can be
    removed with ease.

Only done one side so far and I love it. Cushy and although it doesn't match the passenger board. I can remedy
    that later. Lets see, maybe by doing this

I am loving my Seal FloorBoards !

enjoy your ryde, Ticketbait

UPDATED info in post # 17

TicketBait
    Last edited by TicketBait; 03-28-2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: updated info from me in post # 17

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks TicketBait

Wow, what a cool review! it's great owners like you and theLovers website that will make Seal FloorBoards the success I know it can become. I've had so much help and support from you and others here on Lovers, I want to thank you all. Hoping to meet and shake your hands at SpyderFest.

i've been a full time sculptor (metal, ceramics, glass, life size copper birds, large custom fountains and water walls) for 41 years but decided to retire last summer to devote my full time to Seal FloorBoards. It's been many years since I've had this much fun, sleepless nights and design challenges. What a trip to start a totally new career at 68 and have it so warmly received. Thanks again.

Ride in comfort,

John
    SealFloorBoards

Spyder Garage

John,

I would be interested in a set of these boards if you offered a chromed version with rounded edges and rubber strips for gripping similar to the Kuryakyn ISO floorboards for the HD touring bikes. I think there would be a high demand them. I know I would buy them.
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Remember, John, that there are RT's out there with a manual transmission waiting for your product!
    Dan

Spyder Garage

with Dan
    I am also waiting for the SM5 version to come out. Do you have a timeframe yet?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi all my friends. I will be working on the RT SM5 version at SpyderFest with some of you Whiz Bang guys and plan to have it available in June. Please be patient, I won't release anything until I'm really happy with it. You are NOT forgotten. As to the rubber cover pad and trim, I hope to offer it as an extra this summer also. In the meantime, what both TicketBait and I have done is go to Home Depot (Lowes for him) and buy a couple of rubber door mats. He found the plastic chrome Truck door trim at Auto Zone (9' for about $10.). With a pair of scissors and a paper pattern some double face carpet tape, it's an easy, inexpensive, do-it-yourself project. Western Safety also has a very nice looking Self-Adhesive Rubber Safety step tread. Go to Western Safety Item# 98856. They are only $2.99 each and would look great.

Who can find the coolest door mat pattern and post a photo of their unique Seal FloorBoard?

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Spyder Garage

I have been looking for a thread like this one, are these Seal Floorboards still available for a 2014 ST Base model?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 12:15 AM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kdub757 View Post
    I have been looking for a thread like this one, are these Seal Floorboards still available for a 2014 ST Base model?
    This Thread is 13 years old, I doubt you'll get an answer from the OP's, but I hope you do ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure that Seal Floorboards went out of business on John's retirement a bit of a while back; so the only way you're likely to get Seal Floorboards now is to find/track down a set someone's taken of another Spyder! Sorry!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Put an ad in the 'For Sale' section with a 'WTB' heading.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

You definitely found a dusty thread here. Seal floorboards have come and gone. They quit making them a few years ago. His floorboards were great on most pre 2013 Spyders. I had two sets back in those days. They were quite expensive (about $400 a set). You will have to ask around, like you did here. Maybe, you will get lucky.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red