Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Seal Floorboards, my review

Have now had the Seal FloorBoards known by me as (SFB) about a month and have been able to try them
    in the twisties, around town and on the freeway.

I previously had the Kewl Metal HighwayBoards, known by me as (KMHB)and they were great. I had my dealership do
    that install, and was hoping that Tupperware would not have to come off for these to go on. And that was the case the
    SFB was able to lay right over the brackets without interfering.

I had to abbreviate these two manufactures names or I would have never finished this thread.I hope you don't mind.

Seal Floorboard for RTSE5

KewlMetal Highway Board

I was told this was an easy install, and it was, I feel so accomplished now that I have added something to the bike that
    I did not have to pay the dealership to do. This one was about as advanced as I get with a wrench The directions
    were simple and straight forward. For me it would have been a little easier if I knew what tool sizes I needed. That way
    everything happens faster, but I was in no hurry and taking photos as I went along.

I was initially gonna wait to acquire these at spyderfest but after seeing some photos that Floridaryder provided. That was all
    it took to seal the deal. (no pun intended)

These look to me like they were designed for the bike by BRP. And that is the main reason I switched. More about that further down.

After placing the order on their website, I received a quick email response from John at http://sealfloorboards.com/ and informed
    that another batch was do at the end of the week, and would go out shortly there after. I received them within two days. Wow
    Did I Mention he has free shipping till March 31st 2011

I opened the package that was extremely well wrapped.

I removed the KMB but was relieved that the Highway bracket did not have to be removed for
    these boards to fit.

I removed a few bolts and making allot of progress.

In no time at all I had one of each type on. So I sat in the saddle and noticed some differences. For me some were good and
    some needed some getting use to. I had ridden with the KMHB for about 10k miles with no problems what so ever. So what are
    the differences between stock KMHB and SFB's?

The SFB allows the most multiple foot positions, with no pressure on the ball of the foot from
    an extended ride like I would experience on an extended ride with the stock pegs.

The KMHB has the ability to place the board in whatever angle your foot and ankle feels most comfortable in. And
    then you tighten it down or add an extra extension (2 provided ). I used the extentions so that my leg would be stretched
    out the furthest it possibly could.

With both Boards you learn to ride the bike with weight transferred by pushing down with your legs and foot in a turn.
    And you can go back and forth with ease. In fact many times the riding position I liked was left foot up on highwayboard
    and right foot on stock peg.

Now with the SFB there is no adjustment, it's already been predetermined. If you are coming from no other set up
    than what is offered on the stock RT, there will be no re- learning or comparison issues. You will most likely love all the
    choices you are given. Infact I have placed on the angled rest my foot sometimes in various positions.

see photos below: (These are not the shoes i ride with) The model I used for the foot photo shoot was not told this was a motorcycle shoot,
    and his foot will not be used again.

Oh and one more thing I wanna mention, these boards also make it very easy to get on and off for rider and passenger
    as you can put your entire weight on the horizontal platform. The angled foot rest can withstand up to 150 lbs,
    which is more than you will need to keep you wedged in the saddle and taking turns agreeively.

You are probably asking why I switched, for me it was just the look seemed more in-tune with the bike (jmo)

If John had not come up with these 6 months ago I would still be happy with what I had added.

I am in the process of adding some changes to my board and have been in contact via email with John @ SFB on adding
    a rubber tread design. Not so much for the grip but when I would wear my cowboy boots I noticed small scratches
    in the powder coat from caused by road debris from the bottom of my shoe. Or my dirty boots would leave a footprint.

Some have wanted for when it's raining a safety grip and John has been looking into that. Although I have not experienced
    any slip while riding in the rain.

So I just started thinking what could cover this up as a remedy. I think I am pretty close to a very useful, functional
    and attractive addition to the SFB.

I have cut out a rubber and added a chrome border that to the naked eye looks factory. need a better camera to show
    you all. I used Velcro and double sided tape that keeps it affixed no problem, but will probably use a permanent glue
    everywhere except near the bolts to give it that finished seal look!. (pun intended) This way the SFB can be
    removed with ease.

Only done one side so far and I love it. Cushy and although it doesn't match the passenger board. I can remedy
    that later. Lets see, maybe by doing this

I am loving my Seal FloorBoards !

enjoy your ryde, Ticketbait

UPDATED info in post # 17

TicketBait
    Last edited by TicketBait; 03-28-2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: updated info from me in post # 17

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks TicketBait

Wow, what a cool review! it's great owners like you and theLovers website that will make Seal FloorBoards the success I know it can become. I've had so much help and support from you and others here on Lovers, I want to thank you all. Hoping to meet and shake your hands at SpyderFest.

i've been a full time sculptor (metal, ceramics, glass, life size copper birds, large custom fountains and water walls) for 41 years but decided to retire last summer to devote my full time to Seal FloorBoards. It's been many years since I've had this much fun, sleepless nights and design challenges. What a trip to start a totally new career at 68 and have it so warmly received. Thanks again.

Ride in comfort,

John
    SealFloorBoards

Spyder Garage

John,

I would be interested in a set of these boards if you offered a chromed version with rounded edges and rubber strips for gripping similar to the Kuryakyn ISO floorboards for the HD touring bikes. I think there would be a high demand them. I know I would buy them.
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Remember, John, that there are RT's out there with a manual transmission waiting for your product!
    Dan

Spyder Garage

with Dan
    I am also waiting for the SM5 version to come out. Do you have a timeframe yet?

Spyder Garage

Hi all my friends. I will be working on the RT SM5 version at SpyderFest with some of you Whiz Bang guys and plan to have it available in June. Please be patient, I won't release anything until I'm really happy with it. You are NOT forgotten. As to the rubber cover pad and trim, I hope to offer it as an extra this summer also. In the meantime, what both TicketBait and I have done is go to Home Depot (Lowes for him) and buy a couple of rubber door mats. He found the plastic chrome Truck door trim at Auto Zone (9' for about $10.). With a pair of scissors and a paper pattern some double face carpet tape, it's an easy, inexpensive, do-it-yourself project. Western Safety also has a very nice looking Self-Adhesive Rubber Safety step tread. Go to Western Safety Item# 98856. They are only $2.99 each and would look great.

Who can find the coolest door mat pattern and post a photo of their unique Seal FloorBoard?

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Spyder Garage

Great review, you've got me thinking about a set. Thanks...

Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike,

That's one of the benefits of having satisfied customers, they pass the word along to others. I have FloorBoards in stock and ready to ship for that long awaited Spring Riding.

Ride in comfort

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    Great review, you've got me thinking about a set. Thanks...

Mike

Spyder Garage

Well it seems today I didn't have good luck with the rubber floor mat that I got. Some of the little rubber grips are breaking off. so the search continues!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    Hi Mike,

That's one of the benefits of having satisfied customers, they pass the word along to others. I have FloorBoards in stock and ready to ship for that long awaited Spring Riding.

Ride in comfort

John
    Seal FloorBoards
    Very true John, true of this entire forum, one of the best I've ever been on. I'll have to check the finances and will let you know...

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Well it seems today I didn't have good luck with the rubber floor mat that I got. Some of the little rubber grips are breaking off. so the search continues!!
    This is going to happen regardless. We had a heck of a time trying to do this for one of our tractors a few years back.

One item that may or may not still be available was a grip tape made for the US Navy. We came across a roll of it in a surplus store. It is at least twice the thickness of the 3M stuff they sell in the stores and it was grooved so the water would have a place to go (And not puddle up). It felt like a plastic rubber substance and took forever to wear down.

We put it on a lot of equipment till we ran out. Never did come across it again though... Just a thought!
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After reading TicketBaits comment about being able to install the Seal
    floorboards over the Kewl Metal brackets I decided to order them.
    I gave John a email to ask a few question and his response and answers were back to me so quick that I could not believe it, I thought this was the best of service because when I decide to buy something for the Spyder I go crazy with reply and shipping times.
    John had the floor boards on my front porch so fast that this was also hard to believe.
    The packing was very good and when I unwrapped the boards from the packing (seemed to take longer than to order and receive them Ha Ha) I could not believe it the quality is great and much heavier duty than I thought they would be, the pictures do not do them justice.
    Thanks John for the great product and CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Lawrence Newman
    rtse5

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lawrence,

Now That's what I talkin' about!!! Very kind words. As a small business, I believe it's either provide a quality product AND service or get lost in the shuffle. I am working hard on a rubber floor mat and making real progress but won't show anything until I have a solution and answers. I will probably show something at SpyderFest (a prototype) but doubt if it will be ready to put out.

We're supposed to put out teasers aren't we?

Ride in Comfort,

John
    SealFloorBoards

Quote Originally Posted by Newman1 View Post
    After reading TicketBaits comment about being able to install the Seal
    floorboards over the Kewl Metal brackets I decided to order them.
    I gave John a email to ask a few question and his response and answers were back to me so quick that I could not believe it, I thought this was the best of service because when I decide to buy something for the Spyder I go crazy with reply and shipping times.
    John had the floor boards on my front porch so fast that this was also hard to believe.
    The packing was very good and when I unwrapped the boards from the packing (seemed to take longer than to order and receive them Ha Ha) I could not believe it the quality is great and much heavier duty than I thought they would be, the pictures do not do them justice.
    Thanks John for the great product and CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Lawrence Newman
    rtse5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Another happy customer :)

I would like to add - I just recently received my SealFloorBoards and the install was very easy. I do have interest as well in whatever you might come up with for a custom mat. I did order the suggested "Western Safety Item# 98856" and will give them a try when they arrive. Honestly, some rainy weather has kept me from giving them a full "long ride" test, but so far they seem quite fine without anything added. I think I would just like that extra grip feeling on my feet is all Excellent packaging, and great design, hefty/sturdy construction and easy install. Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What a fan-dang-tastic writeup!! GREAT JOB!! of putting it all down in a very easy to read way!
    And do you iknow what's even better? John from SFB was the first guy to jump in. Now you just know that he's listening closely and working to respond to what his market wants... Way to go John!
    (And I don't even have a pair of his 'boards! )

If my ISCI's didn't fit me so well... (There's another great supplier for us!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Bob,

Just want you to know I follow you and lots of other sages closely and I value your wisdom. I know ISCI makes a fine product but if you ever want to "cross over", well... at my age I've learned to be patient.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What a fan-dang-tastic writeup!! GREAT JOB!! of putting it all down in a very easy to read way!
    And do you iknow what's even better? John from SFB was the first guy to jump in. Now you just know that he's listening closely and working to respond to what his market wants... Way to go John!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

I was checking back on some old posts and I came across the kind words fm Bob on my write up. Thanks, that means a lot.

Up date: my floorboards have been off the bike a week now while I had a lot of cosmetic things done. I sure miss riding with them. It's weird not being able to shift foot positions while riding. The RTS goes into the paint shop tomorrow and when they finish I will re install my Seal Floorboards with a new rubber tread design that I think I am gonna like.

I will post pics when I finish by maybe Thursday. Misplaced my camera..... anybody seen it? I never tell my wife I lost something; I just haven't looked in the right spot.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 12:07 AM.

Spyder Garage

I hope you like to talk John. Come Spyderfest I have a feeling the questions will be flying. Will see you there with my list.

Spyder Garage

Hey Rogerb,

Yea, I do like to talk, especially if it's about something I know a little about. I also like to listen and learn. Guess that's why I got two ears and only one mouth! I have a long drive to SpyderFest so I'll give my voice a good rest (except when I'm singing the Oldies on the radio Can't wait to meet a bunch of old friends I just haven't met yet!

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Quote Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
    I hope you like to talk John. Come Spyderfest I have a feeling the questions will be flying. Will see you there with my list.

Spyder Garage

Default Installed Seal Boards at Spyderfest yesterday

....they are GREAT...went on a 150 mi ryde and love, love, loved 'em...understand I never whined about stock pegs. BUT if I had to return to them after using John's SealBoards I would like become a super whiner .
    John has a great product here...highly recommend...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake?

Folks with the seal floor boards: In the pics it doesn't look like you could really depress the brake pedal past the level of the peg if you needed to. I can't really tell from sitting on the bike but pressing the pedal my foot feels like it goes past the level of the peg. My question is if you had to really brake hard would the floor board impede a hard stop? Just wonderin.

RT-S PE-0399
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruthvofmc View Post
    Folks with the seal floor boards: In the pics it doesn't look like you could really depress the brake pedal past the level of the peg if you needed to. I can't really tell from sitting on the bike but pressing the pedal my foot feels like it goes past the level of the peg. My question is if you had to really brake hard would the floor board impede a hard stop? Just wonderin.

The brake pedal stops before you get to the level of the floorboard, almost an inch or so. So the answer is that it does not impede the brake at all.

If you are wondering, I have the first pair of floorboards John made for the RT.

The other Scotty
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 12:07 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruthvofmc View Post
    I had a similar concern after installing my Sealfloorboards. To give me peace of mind I "beefed up" my brake pedal so that the top of it stays well above the surface of the board. Otherwise, I'm very happy because, by being able to move my feet forward, my comfort level has increased considerably.
    Last edited by stillriding; 05-06-2011 at 05:50 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Seal Floorboard Forward foot Angle

If you look at TicketBaits first picture illustration of his Seal Floorboard review you will see about a 2" or more gap between the front upward part of the floorboard and the plastic guard. I took the RT to a metal fabrication shop and showed them the gap and had them use their metal bender to lower the angle of the floorboard to the plastic guard in the picture. You would not think that a 2" angle bend would make that much of a difference but changing the angle made it so much more comfortable for my forward foot position it feels like I am in my recliner at home.

In my opinion, the Seal Floorboards are the best on the market, but it would be impossible for Jon to angle his floorboard for every leg length. However, by doing the above, this made it even better for me.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 12:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Questions View Post
    If you look at TicketBaits first picture illustration of his Seal Floorboard review you will see about a 2" or more gap between the front upward part of the floorboard and the plastic guard. I took the RT to a metal fabrication shop and showed them the gap and had them use their metal bender to lower the angle of the floorboard to the plastic guard in the picture. You would not think that a 2" angle bend would make that much of a difference but changing the angle made it so much more comfortable for my forward foot position it feels like I am in my recliner at home.

In my opinion, the Seal Floorboards are the best on the market, but it would be impossible for Jon to angle his floorboard for every leg length. However, by doing the above, this made it even better for me.
    Thanks for the input, Newman. I'm considering some angle changes on my next run. There won't be a great change in angle because most seem pretty happy with the present angle. However, I'm constantly looking to tweak and improve. I always welcome positive input (pro or con), it helps me make a better FloorBoard. Today I go to Portland to pick up the prototype Black Diamond Plate rubber mat. Look for some exciting news soon.

Ride in Comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2024 at 12:12 AM.