Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I might be on engine 3

I just called today to get my oil leak fixed again, (the water pump shaft gasket) and on the way back (it was 49 degrees up here, beautiful day for sure) I noticed some black smoke in the exhaust which sucks cause to was pulling great today.

so I listened to the engine and for the last two miles home it felt light on the throttle, my buddy put it in the trailer and it sounded fine (NOT LIKE LAST TIME) but you could smell oil more than usual.

I am hoping that it just needs a valve and cam adjustment and it was not smoking in the garage, the unknown issue is that I got some "we are almost out of gas" gas in AZ and it was popping when I was low on gas which I was not today.

I have to work till 6am get home hook up the trailer and get up at 11am drive to st cloud,dump the spyder and trailer at my main dealership that does NOT have the best wrench in MN anymore and come back to work tonight.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

Oy - hope it is nothing too serious Seth.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not good...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Hi Seth, hope its not a big issue.... finger crossed for you. Finish up the night shift, get some rest for the trailer ride. Let us know how you make out.

Spyder Garage

Wink

Best of luck to you ... Fingers crossed
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Default Engine problems

Seth; Since HH in St. Cloud changed hands I have found the service department less than knowledgeable on Good luck, hopefully it is nothing more than a needed adjustment.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post
    Seth; Since HH in St. Cloud changed hands I have found the service department less than knowledgeable on Good luck, hopefully it is nothing more than a needed adjustment.
    yes I found out that dave the best spyder wrench in the tri state area left, do you know where he went?

I really hate to bring it there with no so clear cut issue and have it sit.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

here is a pic from before the death machine had problems.

crash tester for:

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

I got a bag of rubber bands if you need....

Hope all goes well... Have a good one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hang in there! Here's to hoping that this one'll be an easy find and fix!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am hoping it's not a major deal and that you are back on the road soon, Seth. Good luck with it.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

hope it's nothing major and u are back on the road soon. I heard mine popping the other day... just a little and I think it may be those exhaust gaskets always something lol!
    Wow what a ride!! Love my spyder!!

Spyder Garage

Default spyder wrench

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    yes I found out that dave the best spyder wrench in the tri state area left, do you know where he went?

Seth; Sorry, I also have no idea where he settled in. One person said Tousley's but I cannot confirm that. We are in So. Cal. for the winter sorry unable to provide any help.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Do you know what Daves last name is? I could look him up for you on the net. Maybe get lucky and find him. In the meantime for the return to ryding the way ya like. Good luck be with you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    I got a bag of rubber bands if you need....
    I can do one better... I have some military 100 mi an hour tape... the man's cure all....
    The only good view of a thunderstorm is in your rearview mirror.

Spyder Garage

Not blown, just blew smoke every once in a while, the qrench and i went over it and it idles a little funny at times but it is somethin, valve and cam adjustment is being done

crash tester for:

Spyder Garage

Well, that sounds encouraging. Was wondering about that "almost out of gas" gas as well. I've had run-ins with that stuff in other vehicles in the past. Wishing good things for the death machine bro!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Not blown, just blew smoke every once in a while, the qrench and i went over it and it idles a little funny at times but it is somethin, valve and cam adjustment is being done
    A little smoke once in a while sounds a lot like water in the gas. Was the smoke white? Even SeaFoam or dry gas may not purge all water from the system. You may have to drain the fuel tank, change the fuel filter, flush the system, and clean the injectors...if that is the case.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

here is a pic from before the death machine had problems.
    Seth, hate to change the subject from your smoking pipes, but have you taken up a new hobby?
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Seth, Caswells in Mora has a great mechanic and they are really good to work with. The owner's name is Les, talk to him. Their phone # is 320-679-1383 good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    A little smoke once in a while sounds a lot like water in the gas. Was the smoke white? Even SeaFoam or dry gas may not purge all water from the system. You may have to drain the fuel tank, change the fuel filter, flush the system, and clean the injectors...if that is the case.
    the smoke is blue, smells of unburned oil, I ran the same gas the whole day and had filled it up the day before.
    I had a theory that if my spark plug wire was shorting and it was not firing as clean would this happen? The wrench I talked to was going to tear into it and see what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Seth, hate to change the subject from your smoking pipes, but have you taken up a new hobby?
    no, just borrowed my hero cam to some cops I work with and they had the stuff for the pic, one of the 7 "perfect days"(these are the days that people who make bullsheet excuses about weather, their toenails or hair was not perfect the day they should be riding) to ride on that day.

Quote Originally Posted by ButchA2025 View Post
    Hi Seth, Caswells in Mora has a great mechanic and they are really good to work with. The owner's name is Les, talk to him. Their phone # is 320-679-1383 good luck.
    I have been burned on downing warranty work at other dealerships, brothers in brainerd are true tools about stuff like this, "you didn't buy it here.... well we can't really do anything for you on that then"

If this place goes bad I will give them a call, thanks butch.

crash tester for:

Spyder Garage

the smoke is blue, smells of unburned oil, I ran the same gas the whole day and had filled it up the day before.
    I had a theory that if my spark plug wire was shorting and it was not firing as clean would this happen? The wrench I talked to was going to tear into it and see what is going on.
    That's too bad. White smoke would indicate water, and black smoke unburned fuel, but blue means oil. The intermittent nature of it is odd. I suppose a misfire could cause such a thing on a well-worn engine, but it is not common. A tight engine would not normally do this. If the problem is rings, head or cylinder damage, or valve guides, it is usually more constant. If it is one of those things, a compression test and maybe a leak-down test may be in order. The only other thing I could think of would be a bad scavenging pump, which allows oil to build up in the crankcase, and be forced past the rings at times. That will usually show up as eventual lubrication problems, as the oil tank runs low. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    That's too bad. White smoke would indicate water, and black smoke unburned fuel, but blue means oil. The intermittent nature of it is odd. I suppose a misfire could cause such a thing on a well-worn engine, but it is not common. A tight engine would not normally do this. If the problem is rings, head or cylinder damage, or valve guides, it is usually more constant. If it is one of those things, a compression test and maybe a leak-down test may be in order. The only other thing I could think of would be a bad scavenging pump, which allows oil to build up in the crankcase, and be forced past the rings at times. That will usually show up as eventual lubrication problems, as the oil tank runs low. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
    the wrench was going to to do both of these tests, I will keep ya updated.

crash tester for:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    If it were scavenging problems (sumping), he'd probably feel a substantial loss of power, as the dry sump case filled itself with oil and the crank and rods had to splash their way through it. Intermittent oil smoke sounds more like valve seals, especially if it's more apparent on decel, when vacuum is high........ BTW, where is crankcase breather set up to vent, and what does it look like? Excessive oil in the case should have the breather well fouled, also...
    the power was a little light right at the time i saw the smoke but it sounds perfect when it was running in the dealership. did not seem terrible after the smoke but I did not push it.

the crank case breather is the off race airflow system from evoizone? I did not check that, the oil was on the line after the spyder was warmed so there was not too much oil in it.

We also tried to rev it and then let off to see if a puff of smoke would come out of the exhaust.

crash tester for:

Spyder Garage

got a call from honda house today, they have to call brp on tuesday, there was a oil line o ring that was causing the oil leak but the real news was that the compression in one cylinder was 170 and the other was 60, the guy I talked to did not know which one but my money is on the back one. They did a leak down test too. They said the results did not make sense to them and they had to call brp about them.

When I find out more I will post up, glad they got back too me and especially on a saturday.

crash tester for: