Spyder Garage

Default Got lucky or....

My group of Riders (called Missfits) went for a nice ride to TN were we visited a Biker Bar called "Barbarosa" great place.
    After Riding around we ended up in Maggie Valley, i noticed i had 161 miles on the gauge already. After hanging out and lunch at Moonshine Bar & hotel we made plans to hit back to Greenville, SC.
    So we started our trip back home to SC. I knew i could go at least 185 miles with a tank of gas so i was sure our group would stop for a fill up pretty soon - so i thought!
    Yea right, we went on I40 south through the mountains and my gauge said now 185 miles. After a while my low gas light came on so i thought in the next 30-40 miles we need to stop. We went up and down the mountains fuel light on steady, gauge showing 195 miles and no gas station in sight.
    Further down the road - an exit, 203 miles on the gauge. Pulled off, went down the ramp - nothing!! across the road onto the on ramp and back on the Hwy. I got realy worried after this, never went that far with a tank.
    Relief - 4 miles further down the hwy another exit, this time with gas stations. Pulled into one and start filling up. After about 6.1 gal pump shuts off. 208 miles with one tank and heart pounding 30 miles at the end.
    Now i know, with conservative driving - i mean cruising through the mountains and some hwy driving i can go at least 200 miles.

Besides that, it was a great day of riding.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Yep, you were lucky. Last summer I thought I could make it and pushed it coming back home from the coast on the RS . .
    with about 145 miles (can't remember exactly) I ran out of gas less than 1 mile from the gas station.
    It took about 5 gallons to fill it. I have learned to respect that fuel warning light!

Glad you had a great ryde! did you take pics???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schultzi View Post
    My group of Riders (called Missfits) went for a nice ride to TN were we visited a Biker Bar called "Barbarosa" great place.
    After Riding around we ended up in Maggie Valley, i noticed i had 161 miles on the gauge already. After hanging out and lunch at Moonshine Bar & hotel we made plans to hit back to Greenville, SC.
    So we started our trip back home to SC. I knew i could go at least 185 miles with a tank of gas so i was sure our group would stop for a fill up pretty soon - so i thought!
    Yea right, we went on I40 south through the mountains and my gauge said now 185 miles. After a while my low gas light came on so i thought in the next 30-40 miles we need to stop. We went up and down the mountains fuel light on steady, gauge showing 195 miles and no gas station in sight.
    Further down the road - an exit, 203 miles on the gauge. Pulled off, went down the ramp - nothing!! across the road onto the on ramp and back on the Hwy. I got realy worried after this, never went that far with a tank.
    Relief - 4 miles further down the hwy another exit, this time with gas stations. Pulled into one and start filling up. After about 6.1 gal pump shuts off. 208 miles with one tank and heart pounding 30 miles at the end.
    Now i know, with conservative driving - i mean cruising through the mountains and some hwy driving i can go at least 200 miles.

Besides that, it was a great day of riding.

On a Rt......That's pushing 34 mpg......

Freebob...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

on the good mileage! Do you think your new exhaust helped out in that area?

We are not going to be able to go that far before I need gas on the way to Lamont's and Maggie Valley though.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That's really good mileage on an RT.

I ran one tank of fuel to 194.4 miles and took 5.7 gallons to fill up. The low fuel light was on and there were NO bars showing on the fuel gauge. But conditions were about as perfect as they get. We were cruising slowly, enjoying spring scenery and seldom exceeded 65 MPH. Also, there was almost no wind that day. I had two REDA cans of fuel in my left saddlebag or I would never have pushed it that far.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    on the good mileage! Do you think your new exhaust helped out in that area?

We are not going to be able to go that far before I need gas on the way to Lamont's and Maggie Valley though.
    I believe so! Actually the mpg is even better. After looking the ticket I got at the gas station - it just didn't add up. I paid $23.32 with a $4.03/gal. That would come out to 5.78 gallons. Pushing 36 mpg!

Don't worry, we will stop on the way.

Spyder Garage

on the milage now I have a good idea of what to expect if no station in around. I usely start looking at 130 miles for gas. I average 32+ mpg

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

really good mpg. Have had my RT now going on just over a month and have been watching the mpg around town. I am getting 30 mpg around town with stop and go and lights. Need to take another long ride to check the hwy mpg. Hmm an excuse to go to the house of the mouse.

Be Safe
    AC

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've been trying to tell people, the RT can get as good of gas mileage as the RS does. Its all in the ryding style and tune. 37.9 was my best this time in NC. No complaints here. :-) :-)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I believe so! Actually the mpg is even better. After looking the ticket I got at the gas station - it just didn't add up. I paid $23.32 with a $4.03/gal. That would come out to 5.78 gallons. Pushing 36 mpg!

Don't worry, we will stop on the way.

Getting even better. I should be good for about 125 miles per tank or so, depending on traffic conditions and such.

Spyder Garage

Getting even better. I should be good for about 125 miles per tank or so, depending on traffic conditions and such.
    No worries, you must be going 80-85mph to get only 125mil/tank

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No worries, you must be going 80-85mph to get only 125mil/tank
    Nope, the only time I bothered checking my mileage was after adding the Hindle, K&N Air Filter, and O2 modifier. It was right at 27 mpg. Haven't bothered checking it again since then. When I am at 3 bars I usually start looking for fuel. I have pushed it to low fuel light with no bars, and that was about 140 miles that day. I was sweating it pretty bad, and was very glad we made it to the gas station.

It's my toy, so I don't worry about the mileage much.

Spyder Garage

Nope, the only time I bothered checking my mileage was after adding the Hindle, K&N Air Filter, and O2 modifier. It was right at 27 mpg. Haven't bothered checking it again since then. When I am at 3 bars I usually start looking for fuel. I have pushed it to low fuel light with no bars, and that was about 140 miles that day. I was sweating it pretty bad, and was very glad we made it to the gas station.

It's my toy, so I don't worry about the mileage much.
    I agree with you with the Toy part. It's just nice to know how far you can go when the light comes on.
    For me it is of interest to know the changes in mpg or performance, bc of the exhaust i put on and the fuel i put in.
    And it does make a difference!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agree with you with the Toy part. It's just nice to know how far you can go when the light comes on.
    For me it is of interest to know the changes in mpg or performance, bc of the exhaust i put on and the fuel i put in.
    And it does make a difference!!!
    I will have to take a good look at the exhaust you are developing for the RS. Right now I am still running my FrankenHindle.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Stone cold stock RT-S 2010 after 6,500 milesin a year I just got two straight tanks at barely 28 MPG which is the best I have seen so far. I run regular gas and have run the High Test with no difference in MPG. 5,000 RPM's seems to be the breaking point above it gas mileage goes to hell in a handbag and below it I am seeing generally about 26 MPG. I don't put around like the old man I am 67 so that has to effect it too but I sure wanted better than I am seeing.
    I don't believe one should have to add multiple mods and money to something to get reasonable MPG. Speed limit on the interstates in WV is generally 70 MPH and I stay around that in cruise usually to keep from getting run over and we do have many hills but this thing should do better than it does. Bill