Thread: batteries

Spyder Garage

Default batteries

have a 2008 SE5, bought new in May 2009. Battery crapped out after several months, only 4 of 6 cells working. New battery put in under warranty, has lasted since early Fall 2009. 11,000 miles on SE5.

Been so cold in Ohio, haven't been riding for 2 months. No elec power in garage so, I pulled battery out and brought it in the house to charge up/float charge til Spring. Indicator lights on float charger stayed red.

after 6 hours of red, took to battery shop
    Yuasa YTX 24 HL BS bone dry...no leaking acid in bike, must have evap'ed/boiled out.

shop replaced distill h20 and recharged over night...pronounced it "good to go" just keep indoors on float til Spring.

Question... on it's side and in a black case, cant tell if this sealed battery is low on water w/o taking it out

Battery shop sez for $89 they can sell me a gel version with a 2 yr warranty or a std lead acid for $69 and 1 yr warranty

If/when the recharged "sealed" battery goes again, thinking of replacing with this gel version...or is this line of thinking no good???
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

Here's a couple of batteries that some members have purchased. I'll be going with one of those myself.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24927

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is anther link thats worth looking at that Lamonster posted a while back

http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc680-battery.html

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question... on it's side and in a black case, cant tell if this sealed battery is low on water w/o taking it out

I am not familiar with the Spyder yet but trying to learn. Are you saying the battery is installed laying on it's side vs. upright? I am sure not a wrench, but that does not sound like the best idea to me. Perhaps, I mis read your post.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post

I am not familiar with the Spyder yet but trying to learn. Are you saying the battery is installed laying on it's side vs. upright? I am sure not a wrench, but that does not sound like the best idea to me. Perhaps, I mis read your post.
    That is correct.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    Here is anther link thats worth looking at that Lamonster posted a while back

http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc680-battery.html

Which terminals do you use? I'm guessing the SAE and not the 'L' terminals; it looks like the terminals are ordered separately. I don't believe (but could be wrong) you can remove the ones from the stock battery.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My stock Yuasa sealed battery is only 6 mos old and wasn't holding a charge. Put in an Odyssey dry cell and it came with the L brackets. Also just installed a Juice Box Pro, and removed the panel under the oil filter forever. Evoluzion air filter should be here by the 18th. Spydee ate two rubber grommets for the upper right side panel. Figures, snows melting and I'm not going to the dealer for parts till the 18th.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    My stock Yuasa sealed battery is only 6 mos old and wasn't holding a charge. Put in an Odyssey dry cell and it came with the L brackets. Also just installed a Juice Box Pro, and removed the panel under the oil filter forever. Evoluzion air filter should be here by the 18th. Spydee ate two rubber grommets for the upper right side panel. Figures, snows melting and I'm not going to the dealer for parts till the 18th.
    In case I do get that battery, are the 'L' brackets the ones I should be using? I haven't looked at the stock battery for awhile; but, the stock connections seemed different than what I'm normally used to when I compare to a car battery.