Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Help with Towing RT-622

Morning, Friends! Just picked up my new RT-622 trailer yesterday and got it home without any major (or minor) mishap. Couple of questions for the group, though. When I left the dealership, I didn't have the set for towing the trailer. When I realized that, I flipped it on and noticed immediately that there was a dramatic change in the RPMs....like if they got below 4K it downshifted (as opposed to the normal 3K). Is this normal? When I'm pulling the trailer empty, do I need to have the in "towing mode"? If I don't, will it hurt/damage the ? Any other things that I should know about towing the RT-622? I've towed trailers all over the country before with my Goldwing....how and why is towing with the any different? Any and all comments and/or suggestions will be warmly received. Thanks, Family!!

Spyder Garage

This is more of a "help" to those with a SE trans. You can run just fine in or out of trailer mode. If you're running fully loaded I would pop it into trailer mode because it does help with the engine braking.

Spyder Garage

I don't have the 622 but I would assume that the tow mode works similar to a pickup truck's tow mode and that is normal. The idea is to keep the RPM's up to avoid transmission/clutch overheating due to slippage.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for both of the feedbacks! I do have an SE5, Lamonster, so your comments were right on the mark. And, DaBusses, if I'd have used a little common sense I'da thot of that!! Thanks again, guys!
    Last edited by Slybird; 02-09-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slybird View Post
    Morning, Friends! Just picked up my new RT-622 trailer yesterday and got it home without any major (or minor) mishap. Couple of questions for the group, though. When I left the dealership, I didn't have the set for towing the trailer. When I realized that, I flipped it on and noticed immediately that there was a dramatic change in the RPMs....like if they got below 4K it downshifted (as opposed to the normal 3K). Is this normal? When I'm pulling the trailer empty, do I need to have the in "towing mode"? YES If I don't, will it hurt/damage the ? YES it can damage engine Any other things that I should know about towing the RT-622? I've towed trailers all over the country before with my Goldwing....how and why is towing with the any different? Any and all comments and/or suggestions will be warmly received. Thanks, Family!!
    When pulling the trailer, the biggest change I noticed is it would not let me up shift until I reached a certain RPM, this is
    to help the longevity of the engine components. Beginning on page 89 of your manual through pg 92 would be advised reading.

Also if you are gonna have a heavy load the shocks can be adjusted just like the front. Although I have not ever done this.

Oh and one more thing when you hook up the harness to the bike loop it through the Zip tie cap holder. I once thought
    I had it hooked up properly and did not, this zip tie probably saved me having to get a new harness after a 150 mile tow.

I also found a cover for my ball hitch at camping world that cost just. $2.50

I just realized I am gonna have to clean my Spyder

Congrats on your new trailer !, did it come with the water mgmt system?

Spyder Garage

One other tip...when you remove the cap that covers the saddlebag connector, remove the O-ring and tuck it in your glovebox. Even with dielectric grease to hold them in, they are easily lost when bouncing down the road.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Another good one Scotty !
    Happy Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Regarding the Water Management System, the dealership said that if I took the 2010 model that they had still in the crate, they'd throw in the Water Management System. Grateful as I am, I really find it almost comical that BRP didn't stop to think what would happen to all that water when you opened the main hatch! Oops!!! Thanks again, everyone, for all the hints & tips!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    One other tip...when you remove the cap that covers the saddlebag connector, remove the O-ring and tuck it in your glovebox. Even with dielectric grease to hold them in, they are easily lost when bouncing down the road.
    Scotty, any advice for AFTER the cap has gone bouncing down the road? I lost mine some time ago and hate riding around with no cover over the outlet.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Scotty, any advice for AFTER the cap has gone bouncing down the road? I lost mine some time ago and hate riding around with no cover over the outlet.
    My first suggestion is after you get a new cap, make sure you use the zip-tie that was supplied with the hitch, to keep it captive. Also, like the trailer connector, it need to have the O-ring inserted, and needs to be twisted until it "clicks" in the detent, to stay secure. It takes a firm twist.

I am not sure if a new cap would be available from BRP. The part number may be in the trailer hitch instructions. If not, it is a Deutsch HDC-16-9 cap. It should be available from various vendors using a Google search for the part number. Here is one such vendor, although I have never used this vendor, it was just the result of a search.

Here is another alternative you might consider. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17680
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Many thanks, Scotty. With that part number I should be able to come up with it.
    Dan