Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Question for Canadian riders

Hi North of the Border Spyder friends My husband showed me a thread from one of his Ducati forums (he's watching them closely for word on the stateside arrival of the new Diavel since he ordered one for me and is anxious for it to arrive, as am I ). Anyway, someone posted that it's illegal for them to ride a motorcycle from, I think, Dec. 15 to March 15 or some such dates because ALL vehicles in Canada must be equipped with snow tires during those dates and since there are no approved snow tires for motorcycle use, it's illegal to ride. Is there any truth in this....and if so, does it impact Spyder ryding ?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeminiJane View Post
    Hi North of the Border Spyder friends My husband showed me a thread from one of his Ducati forums (he's watching them closely for word on the stateside arrival of the new Diavel since he ordered one for me and is anxious for it to arrive, as am I ). Anyway, someone posted that it's illegal for them to ride a motorcycle from, I think, Dec. 15 to March 15 or some such dates because ALL vehicles in Canada must be equipped with snow tires during those dates and since there are no approved snow tires for motorcycle use, it's illegal to ride. Is there any truth in this....and if so, does it impact Spyder ryding ?
    Inquiring minds want to know.
    Jane I read that somewhere myself, not sure if it was here or on my Valkyrie site. Wish I could remember where, seems like the way it was written they was questioning if it would effect motorcycles.
    Happy Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Only in Canada - Not!

Ok let's clear this up.... Only in Quebec! They are the only province with the Snow Tire Law....

2faston3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2faston3 View Post
    Ok let's clear this up.... Only in Quebec! They are the only province with the Snow Tire Law....

2faston3
    That is correct.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2faston3 View Post

2faston3
    That is my understanding as well.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quebec only. They're trying to get Ontario to do it but Ontario is so large that the far west don't get as much snow so why should they have to have snow tires. A spyder can be ridden in Quebec with snow tires. It's not classified as a motorcycle. A regular car licence is all you need.

Spyder Garage

We got one crazy old coot here that drives a camoed russian military bike with a sidecar all year long. He has offroad tires with spikes in em. He has a large black lab that wears those big bug eyed style glasses sittin in the passenger seat.
    2008 SM5, F1 EvoIII slide, Hindle, Race Air Flow System, O2 Delete, Fuel Pressure Modfier, Powerbus System, BRP 6 Spoke, 12V power supply x2, 1" Handel Bar Riser, CompuStar Alarm System w/pager, Mono Seat Cover, Brake Caliper Trim, Trunk Liner, Outdoor Cover, Carbon Fiber SM5 Handelbar Inserts, Carbon Fiber Tank Knee Pads, TBR Juice Box.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ryde year round, but we don't get a lot of snow here ( coastal BC, near Vancouver). I have always ridden motorcycles in every month here as well, although I leave them at home when we do get snow. Never heard of a law against winter riding in British Columbia, but a person should use judgement, I guess.

RT-S PE#639
    Spyder Garage

What part of Canada are you wanting to ride? Or is this just a curiosity question? I have not heard of a law forbidding motorcycling in Alberta. I know a guy that rides his KLR year round in Calgary, Alberta. There aren't very many days between November and March that are warm enough to ride and when the roads are clear enough, don't forget the sand and salt is on the road until at least May. Check out this page for info on temps in various regions of Alberta. Alberta. There maybe some confusion too on the prediction of laws coming requiring winter tires on vehicles in Alberta Cities. Hope this answers some questions for ya.
    Last edited by Babymoose; 02-07-2011 at 05:30 PM.

2008 Full Moon Spyder and 2010 RT-S SE5 PE 0639 with RT-622 trailer in timeless black.
    Everyone home safe - every time

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Babymoose View Post
    What part of Canada are you wanting to ride? Or is this just a curiosity question?
    Right now, just curiosity. We're having an exceptional winter of snow ourselves in Southern Illinois. We had snow Saturday, rode Sunday (but only about 100 miles) and then snow again Sunday night. Even if roads don't have snow or ice, they do have lots of cinders and salt that make corners "interesting". Still it was nice to be out between the snow fronts. Won't be venturing too far from home on any extended trips for a couple of months, probably.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Quebec only. They're trying to get Ontario to do it but Ontario is so large that the far west don't get as much snow so why should they have to have snow tires. A spyder can be ridden in Quebec with snow tires. It's not classified as a motorcycle. A regular car licence is all you need.
    Plus the three wheeler course very important or Motorbike licence,
    JOE
    Very Happy Owner
    2008 (SM5)#1256 RSXXX
    Black&Red&Silver&Chrome

Spyder Garage

A spyder can be ridden in Quebec with snow tires. It's not classified as a motorcycle. A regular car licence is all you need.
    What? Why isn't a Spyder considered a Motorcycle? JUST KIDDING!! Man, don't wanna open that can o' worms again!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Justin,

I just wanted to clear up something you mentioned in your post - the Spyder is in fact registered as a motorcycle in Quebec. The government only dispensed with the need for a motorcycle endorsement to drive the Spyder.

I wonder if their motivation for determining that the Spyder IS a motorcycle has anything to do with the outrageous cost of registering a motorcycle in La Belle Province:

Motorcycle with an engine of 401+ cc (Spyder included) $633.55 in 2011

I'm just glad I don't drive a crotch rocket...in that case it would cost $1425.55 yearly

Source:
    http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/vehicl..._cost/moto.php

Ryde safely everyone !

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly !

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Monique View Post
    Justin,

I just wanted to clear up something you mentioned in your post - the Spyder is in fact registered as a motorcycle in Quebec. The government only dispensed with the need for a motorcycle endorsement to drive the Spyder.

I wonder if their motivation for determining that the Spyder IS a motorcycle has anything to do with the outrageous cost of registering a motorcycle in La Belle Province:

I'm just glad I don't drive a crotch rocket...in that case it would cost $1425.55 yearly

Source:

Ryde safely everyone !
    Try $1340.00 here in 'friendly' Manitoba! That's including the 33% full merit discount!!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=2faston3;283785]Ok let's clear this up.... Only in Quebec! They are the only province with the Snow Tire Law....

2faston3[/QUOTE]

Another example of "protectionism" and the demise of "choice".

Chris PE# 0004

Spyder Garage

Justin,

Source:

Ryde safely everyone !
    Is that registration fee with insurance included or plus insurance??

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
    Is that registration fee with insurance included or plus insurance??

Liability insurance is extra whether you are registering a car or a bike.
    I don't know how anyone under 25 can afford to ride a bike in Quebec ....oh yeah I forgot...that's the point of those high fees

Quebec benefits from no fault insurance (there's another debate !) so there is a high percentage of the registration cost that goes to cover any indemnities that are paid to victims of motor vehicle accidents.

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly !

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Justin,

Source:

Ryde safely everyone !
    Of course our "Free" healthcare will cover any Hospital expense in case of accident!

Spyder Garage

lets get this right:
    You can't ryde a spyder in quebec until 15 of marsh.
    A Spyder is consinder a motorcycle
    In 2008-2009 300 drivers were on a pilot test to get a temporary 3 wheel class permit.
    Since 2010 you can drive a spyder with this 3 wheel permit. 7 hrs course witch cost's +/- 250$ paid by dealers and BRP.
    Notice a motorcycle obligated course here in quebec for other motorcycles cost's over 700$ ( motorcycle class 6) only the spyder and the T-rex can be driven without this class 6.
    plates here cost in the 600$ for spyder and touring model's
    sport bikes cost over 1400$
    In Quebec you must insure your vehicule(spyder) for collision and personnal injurie's. witch cost average 400$ per year.
    here you can ryde confortably your spyder from april to october
    before april there is still small gravel and calcium on the road,s
    and after october you better have good winter gloves on.