Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default (another) ESI Givi Bag Lights Question...

I'm finally getting around to putting the ESI LED kit onto the Givi's. My wife would like to have the ESI lights run as 'running' and 'brake' lights, but not have the 'signal' light feature. She wants to retain the stock Spyder signal lights on the stalks.

Can I use the Tripple Play unit and just not tap into the signal leads? Also.. will the ESI red brake LED's overpower the visibility of the stock yellow signals?

Spyder Garage

Call Evan at ESI, Monday. It is best to go to the original source for this kind of information.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yup.. that's the plan!

Spyder Garage

Please share what you find out for reference.
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Will do..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Called today and basically, I'll need to remove the stock rear signals altogether. That's fine, but... the GIVI bag frame's have the 1/4 turn quick connectors to secure the frame to the bike. One of those 1/4 turn connectors is also the base of the stock signal stalks. I'm not feeling real good about loosing one of the bag frame mounting points.

Someone else must have done this mod before.. What am I missing?

Edit: see two posts below...
    Last edited by millers1; 02-07-2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Brain fart.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by millers1 View Post
    Called today and basically, I'll need to remove the stock rear signals altogether. That's fine, but... the GIVI bag frame's have the 1/4 turn quick connectors to secure the frame to the bike. One of those 1/4 turn connectors is also the base of the stock signal stalks. I'm not feeling real good about loosing one of the bag frame mounting points.

Someone else must have done this mod before.. What am I missing?
    The stock turn signals are relocated from the body to the end of the top, rear bagmount stalk, for the BRP Givis. The turn signals merely fasten into the mounting stalk, so there should be no problem removing them. Loosening the mounts should not be required.

Now if you want to get rid of the extra stalk, removing the rear bracket and modifying it by cutting/grinding off the portion above the bag mounting portion, that's another story. BTW, don't forget to plug the holes in the stalks if you remove the turn signals.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

OK... let's try this again. I was putting way too much thought into this and had myself confused.

It's ridiculously simple. Wire up everything on the Triple Play unit as per the instructions EXCEPT the stock signal lights. They stay connected to the stock harness. The Triple Play unit doesn't 'see' the input for the signals so the LED bag lights act only as brake / running lights.

Next problem.. when hitting the brakes, the Triple Play unit flashes the Givi LED's 3 times then goes steady. With the yellow turn signal flashing and the red LED 3 times flashing... it looked too busy / confusing to someone riding behind the Spyder. There's a tiny switch on the end of the Triple Play unit.. flip that and the bag lights now are 'steady' (non-flashing).

Looks like a nice product that really ads a lot of visibility to the back of the Spyder, but could use a little work in the instructions.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post

Now if you want to get rid of the extra stalk, removing the rear bracket and modifying it by cutting/grinding off the portion above the bag mounting portion, that's another story.
    Yeah.. I haven't located the instructions that came with the Givi setup so I didn't know if the relocation stalks were listed as available replacement parts... I didn't want to hack the set I have.

Moot point now.. stalks are staying.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by millers1 View Post
    Yeah.. I haven't located the instructions that came with the Givi setup so I didn't know if the relocation stalks were listed as available replacement parts... I didn't want to hack the set I have.

Moot point now.. stalks are staying.
    The instructions may list a part number, but separate parts are generally not available for BRP accessories.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!