Spyder Garage

Default Check Engine Light Today

While riding this afternoon with the cruise set I had the cruise kick off and the engine lamp come on. In the main digital display I had a symbol that looked like the bikes handlebars. Pulled off the side of the road, shut down the engine, restarted and had same engine light and what looked like handlebars. I thought it could be a DPS/steering problem but steering acted normal (DPS recall done in Oct). Pulled out the manual and could not find anything in it that showed a handlebars (steering) symbol in the main digital display so I starting looking at possible fuse problems. Pulled F3 in the front since it apparently has something to do with the DPS. It was fine so pushed it back in and tried restarting. The engine light was now off and no symbols in the main digital display.

Drove it home (about 30 miles) and everything seems fine except now the analog speedometer does not move at all (stays on zero) and the clock was reset (probably because fuse was pulled). I only have 3,500 on the RT and this is the first real problem I've experienced.

Anyone have any ideas?

My dealer is back in Virginia. I'm spending the winter near Ft. Myers and apparently Sun Sports Cycle is the closest Spyder dealer/service center. I plan to call them tomorrow. Anyone used them for service? Do you think it's safe to drive about 30 miles to the dealer like it is?

Thanks ahead for any advice.

Spyder Garage

Default Big Warning!!!

I was stranded in Fort Myers with clutch going out... It took Sunsports 5 days to even look at it.. They had my RTS for 22 days to eventually do a two labor hour repair.. If I had it to do over again I would go to action Kawaski in Bradenton even if i had to push the bike... ahhhhh..... If you didn't buy your bike from Sunsports they are likely to treat you like trash... If BRP hadn't pressured them it would have taken even longer...

Another time I had the same warning light and it turned out to be just a bad sensor in the warning light for the dps . Good luck.. in Fort Myers yu will need it..
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    I was stranded in Fort Myers with clutch going out... It took Sunsports 5 days to even look at it.. They had my RTS for 22 days to eventually do a two labor hour repair.. If I had it to do over again I would go to action Kawaski in Bradenton even if i had to push the bike... ahhhhh..... If you didn't buy your bike from Sunsports they are likely to treat you like trash... If BRP hadn't pressured them it would have taken even longer...

Another time I had the same warning light and it turned out to be just a bad sensor in the warning light for the dps . Good luck.. in Fort Myers yu will need it..
    Thanks for the heads up! Anyone have any experience with Florida Motorsports in Naples, FL? I'm actually a little closer to them but they did not show up as a Platinum dealer (whatever that means).

Spyder Garage

So has anyone else had the the handbar symbol show up in the main digital display? Could fine this anywhere in the manual or service manual.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1551retired View Post
    So has anyone else had the the handbar symbol show up in the main digital display? Could fine this anywhere in the manual or service manual.
    Yes, when I first got my RT I went to the doctors office that was about 30 miles away and when I went to leave I had that symbol, I drove about 10 miles and made a call about it and it wasn't showing any active codes and I was going to bring it in to the dealer to hook it up to BUDS but soon as I went to leave the parking lot the symbol cleared and it hasn't been back since.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Yes, when I first got my RT I went to the doctors office that was about 30 miles away and when I went to leave I had that symbol, I drove about 10 miles and made a call about it and it wasn't showing any active codes and I was going to bring it in to the dealer to hook it up to BUDS but soon as I went to leave the parking lot the symbol cleared and it hasn't been back since.
    So did it clear right away or after you drove for the 10 miles? Maybe I should have kept driving instead of pulling F3? I did check for active codes this morning and found none. Just got off the phone with my service manager back at the VA dealership. He said since it didn't go into limp mode and the fuse reset everything, it could have been momentary low voltage or a power glitch. He is going to call BRP Monday and check on that symbol to be sure and let me know what they say. Looks like I'll be letting it sit in the garage until I hear back on Monday.

Sure would be nice if BRP would put these symbols in the manual or at least the service manual. Anyone with a new 2011 manual have this symbol?

Spyder Garage

I drove for 10 miles and stopped for lunch, took off and it cleared and hasn't showed back up since.

Spyder Garage

Have we ever defined what that symbol means?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Hopefully my VA dealer service manager will get an answer from BRP Monday.

As a side not, anyone know when the 2011 manual will be online?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Having joined the group of riders whose RT has thrown the handlebar symbol to,

Was out riding yesterday, doing about 70 on the interstate, when the symbol began flashing, the RT-S went into limp mode, and I nursed it along to the next exit. As I was riding with my wife, I didn't want to risk trying to diagnose it, so my daughter came and picked her up. I tried the clearing maneuver which did the trick, and rode it home without incident. It's a bit unsettling to have that happen, especially at random like that. The only other unusual event was that immediately before this happened, I was trying to engage the cruise control. It would turn on or off, but would not set. When I restarted the RT, the cruise worked normally again, and there haven't been any further issues.
    Happy 2010 Orbital Blue Spyder RT-S Owner
    TricLED Vader Lightswith Blue Tunnel Lights Option, Aqua Glo-Ryders, TricLED Fender Lights, TricLED Invisible Brake/Running Lights, TricLED Trunk Light.

Spyder Garage

It would be good to know what that is and what causes it. I have not encountered that one yet (50,000 miles).
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Its happend to me 4 times so fare, but each time it does it, it gose wright back out after a few miles. Iam getting ready to put it in the shop for the 15k mile oil change I'll ask them to check it out. cj

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Spyder Garage

Default check engine light

I was getting all the fault codes, VSS, ECM, Chk Eng, Limp Home, ABS, etc., etc.... After 8 trips to dealer and replacing the throttle pressure sensor and the handlebar control module it was determined that a connector to the main fuse box (under passenger seat on right seat was connected improperly at the factory. After turning the connector over, which enable it to lock, the problems cleared up. this started at 9,800 miles and continued until 11,000 miles.

Then the next day I got the Check engine light again and it would not start. Finally got it stated and was able to get home (125 miles). There was a fouled spark plug. I was running on one cylinder - got the best MPG of 35 mpg. We have mostly ethanol (10%) gasoline here in Fort Smith and high humidity. I am now putting Star Tron fuel Treatment in the gas tank.

The machine has never run better.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by Brevet05 View Post
    Having joined the group of riders whose RT has thrown the handlebar symbol to,

Was out riding yesterday, doing about 70 on the interstate, when the symbol began flashing, the RT-S went into limp mode, and I nursed it along to the next exit. As I was riding with my wife, I didn't want to risk trying to diagnose it, so my daughter came and picked her up. I tried the clearing maneuver which did the trick, and rode it home without incident. It's a bit unsettling to have that happen, especially at random like that. The only other unusual event was that immediately before this happened, I was trying to engage the cruise control. It would turn on or off, but would not set. When I restarted the RT, the cruise worked normally again, and there haven't been any further issues.
    I am new to Spyder's, I have an RT, my limp mode light, with an engine light blinking, came on in my drive way, but went off when I started to leave my house, I took it to the dealer, he said that they did not find anything worng. what is a Clearing Maneuver???===Scooter