Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
    Great to hear about you getting your bike back,Michael.
    Sorry about your household accident,Ankles-OUCH....Heal well my friend!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Good stuff on the Spyder, Michael. I bet you were pretty relieved when you saw good splines on the old front sprocket. The metal must be pretty soft to get grooved out like that. Probably by design to protect the output shaft. Either way, glad she's back home.

Now if we can just get that ankle fixed up, you'd be back in black!!
    Thanks a bunch. It was a great feeling ryding the Spyder back home. Even though I cannot ryde it right now, it is comforting to know it is at my place and not sitting in the shop. I am sure many of you know what that feels like.

As for the ankle, I may have pushed a little too hard too fast. I went to work today without the crutches. Made it through with 6 Ibuprofen pills before getting home. Ankle is swollen as bad as it ever did after the injury and has some very nice bruising that wasn't there before. I elevated and iced it down again. Since it has been a week and it is like this now, I am thinking a call to the Ortho doc tomorrow may be in order. The only black right now is the bottom of my ankle with some funky bluish color mixed in. This truly sux!
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Thanks a bunch. It was a great feeling ryding the Spyder back home. Even though I cannot ryde it right now, it is comforting to know it is at my place and not sitting in the shop. I am sure many of you know what that feels like.

As for the ankle, I may have pushed a little too hard too fast. I went to work today without the crutches. Made it through with 6 Ibuprofen pills before getting home. Ankle is swollen as bad as it ever did after the injury and has some very nice bruising that wasn't there before. I elevated and iced it down again. Since it has been a week and it is like this now, I am thinking a call to the Ortho doc tomorrow may be in order. The only black right now is the bottom of my ankle with some funky bluish color mixed in. This truly sux!
    MRI results?
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    MRI results?
    That is why I am thinking I need to go to the Ortho doc. All the ER did was take X-Rays, gave me a double dose of Dilautin (sp?) and a shot in the thigh for nausea. The doctor came in and said it wasn't broken. I was kind of out of it due to the pain, and just realized on the way home tonight that he never even touched it to have a look at it. Just had the nurse wrap it with an ace bandage, give me scrips for meds, and send me on my way with crutches. I don't know why I didn't think of that before today, probably because the pain came back super strong, but now am thinking there may be something seriously wrong with the ankle. I need it to hurry up and heal so I can ryde my Spyder again.

I take it you feel an MRI is in order, and the surgeon who did my last 2 knee surgeries has one in his office. I guess I better call him in the morning and see when they can fit me in. I am going back on the dang crutches as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Default Get well soon!

I hope YOU don't need a new front sprocket!
    Hang in there- Hope you are mended up soon-
    We got some rydin to do!
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by musicarcade View Post
    I hope YOU don't need a new front sprocket!
    Hang in there- Hope you are mended up soon-
    We got some rydin to do!
    Went to the ortho doc today. I do not need a new front sprocket, but I now have a really nice blue and black Iron Man looking boot to wear for a while. I have to go for a recheck next Tuesday and may need Physical Therapy. No fracture, just deep soft tissue damage and a real problem with swelling and range of motion. Right now it hurts just sitting here and I cannot even think about putting any weight on it. Most likely this all should have been done last week Monday when I first injured it.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Went to the ortho doc today. I do not need a new front sprocket, but I now have a really nice blue and black Iron Man looking boot to wear for a while. I have to go for a recheck next Tuesday and may need Physical Therapy. No fracture, just deep soft tissue damage and a real problem with swelling and range of motion. Right now it hurts just sitting here and I cannot even think about putting any weight on it. Most likely this all should have been done last week Monday when I first injured it.
    Don't feel badly. I did much the same thing when I rode the ladder down a few years back, and hurt my wrist. There was work to do to get the carpentry done and the new roof installed. I didn't go to the doctor until several weeks later, when I was still in great pain, swollen, with a recurring dark bruise. No break, but lots of tissue damage and inflamation. Took 10 weeks of PT to get it back in shape. The ice/elevation thing lasted almost to the end, because every movement caused swelling. Ankles are worse, because they are the lowest point of the body. You'll be dancing the jig again, but it will take several weeks, I'm afraid. I hope you are a quicker healer than I am (almost everybody is). My doc and therapist said that I did no further damage by waiting...but I did stall the treatment, so it was longer until I finally got better. At least you only stalled for a week.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Aluminum splines on splined steel shafts.

Let me explain the why's about the front splined sprockets. Can Am has the sprockets made of high silicon cast aluminum for price reasons. To make an aluminum splined sprocket so that no spline problems would develope, the sprocket's spline fit would have to be a "press" fit, very tight, on its shaft. But that is impossible because the female spline has a different coificient of expansoin than the steel splined shaft it fits on. With the constant changes in temperature the aluminum spline's fit will became loose. There is no way to stop this play from develpoing as the two components are designed today. I have never seen a new front sprocket for a Spyder but I have manufactured literally hundreds of thousand of sprockets in my factory. I imagine the front sprocket's teeth are cast and have integral flanges on both sides so as to keep the belt from drifting off the sprocket. To make a high quality splined sprocket out of cast iron, with flanges, would require the sprocket to be cast, machined, teeth cut, two flanges in the form of rings to be fastened to the machined toothed sprocket, and a close but sliding fit spline broached in the bore of the cast iron sprocket. This all is possible but the cost of such a sprocket might be 10 or 15 times more that the cast aluminum sprocket as now made. Can Am is very cost concious as are all volume manufacturers. So they are between the devil and the deep blue sea. They have to go the economical way. The end user will eventually have to replace the front aluminum sprocket. Doing so will (should) require the replacing of the belt and the rear sprocket too. That's the correct way to handle the situration. If the three components are not replaced at the same time the used component will wear out the new part much faster than when the three are changed at same time. So, all long distance Spyder users get prepared for the inevidible. But when you consider the cost of the replacements against the enjoyment you get out of riding your Spyder for some 40,000 miles why it's easy to amortize this cost.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur---Mexico View Post
    Let me explain the why's about the front splined sprockets. Can Am has the sprockets made of high silicon cast aluminum for price reasons. To make an aluminum splined sprocket so that no spline problems would develope, the sprocket's spline fit would have to be a "press" fit, very tight, on its shaft. But that is impossible because the female spline has a different coificient of expansoin than the steel splined shaft it fits on. With the constant changes in temperature the aluminum spline's fit will became loose. There is no way to stop this play from develpoing as the two components are designed today. I have never seen a new front sprocket for a Spyder but I have manufactured literally hundreds of thousand of sprockets in my factory. I imagine the front sprocket's teeth are cast and have integral flanges on both sides so as to keep the belt from drifting off the sprocket. To make a high quality splined sprocket out of cast iron, with flanges, would require the sprocket to be cast, machined, teeth cut, two flanges in the form of rings to be fastened to the machined toothed sprocket, and a close but sliding fit spline broached in the bore of the cast iron sprocket. This all is possible but the cost of such a sprocket might be 10 or 15 times more that the cast aluminum sprocket as now made. Can Am is very cost concious as are all volume manufacturers. So they are between the devil and the deep blue sea. They have to go the economical way. The end user will eventually have to replace the front aluminum sprocket. Doing so will (should) require the replacing of the belt and the rear sprocket too. That's the correct way to handle the situration. If the three components are not replaced at the same time the used component will wear out the new part much faster than when the three are changed at same time. So, all long distance Spyder users get prepared for the inevidible. But when you consider the cost of the replacements against the enjoyment you get out of riding your Spyder for some 40,000 miles why it's easy to amortize this cost.
    Great analogy.....but the sprocket is made of STEEL, try running a magnet over it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Don't feel badly. I did much the same thing when I rode the ladder down a few years back, and hurt my wrist. There was work to do to get the carpentry done and the new roof installed. I didn't go to the doctor until several weeks later, when I was still in great pain, swollen, with a recurring dark bruise. No break, but lots of tissue damage and inflamation. Took 10 weeks of PT to get it back in shape. The ice/elevation thing lasted almost to the end, because every movement caused swelling. Ankles are worse, because they are the lowest point of the body. You'll be dancing the jig again, but it will take several weeks, I'm afraid. I hope you are a quicker healer than I am (almost everybody is). My doc and therapist said that I did no further damage by waiting...but I did stall the treatment, so it was longer until I finally got better. At least you only stalled for a week.
    Thanks Scotty. I am on the mend now. I have been wearing the cam boot for a week, and had a follow up appointment today. Since I am not an athlete, he said it was up to me on whether to go to physical therapy or not. I chose not to, since I will be fine as long as I can walk. My bad knees already keep me from doing any running. Got some exercises I can do on my own as well. The good news is even though I couldn't make it to Daytona, I should be good to go by Spyderfest.

My sprocket definitely wasn't aluminum. It may look like it in the pictures because of how shiny the worn surfaces are, but it is not.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Glad you posted this thread Spyderwolf. I am having the same problem and my front sprocket is worn just like yours was. The belt is visibly worn also. Hopefully I can get it taken care of before the Maggie Valley trip.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

My Spyder developed an issue where as I was ryding at low speed I could hear a whining noise coming from the front sprocket area. It sounded like a belt slipping on a car engine, but with the toothed belt on the Spyder I knew it couldn't be slipping. My rear belt alignment looked good, so I had no idea what it could be.

I took it to the dealer 2 Fridays ago for the DPS replacement, and they attempted to adjust the drive belt in order to remedy the noise situation without any luck. The owner said he was going to have to call BRP about it and see what they wanted him to do next. They got in touch with BRP and needed me to bring the Spyder back so they could remove the belt and check everything out.

I was supposed to drop it off today, but on Wednesday I checked the weather report and it was going to be 34 and raining this morning. The weather man was actually right on the money with this forecast. Lucky for me I left work early on Wednesday and rode it to the dealership to drop it off before they closed. I figured with the crummy weather I wouldn't be ryding anyway so it didn't really matter. As I was ryding down there my wife followed in the car and said she could hear the Spyder making a high pitched whine. It takes nearly an hour and a half to get to the dealer. I had my headphones in so I couldn't hear it, but I did notice the vibrations were much worse than I had ever felt, especially between 4600 and 4800 RPMs. That was enough to literally rattle my teeth, so I knew the problem was getting worse.

I just got off the phone with them, and apparently my front sprocket got out of alignment somehow. The belt was rubbing against the sprocket and actually wore a couple of grooves in it. So far they are ordering a new front sprocket and will install it when it comes in. Then BRP wants them to test it and see if there are any other problems, or alignment issues, with the new sprocket installed. So, as of right now, my Spyder is getting a new front sprocket at a minimum. I am seriously hoping there is nothing more serious with it than that, but only time will tell.

This is the first time my Spyder has spent the night somewhere else since I bought it, and it is a very strange feeling indeed. At least it is getting taken care of during the winter time, and hopefully I will be trouble free for the rest of the year.
    Isn't this post past history, Like back this past winter... ....

Freebob...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post

Freebob...
    Its only 3 months old... He referred to it in another thread (that is current) of someone having belt or noise issues. My problem just reared up bad within the past few weeks and I wanted to see his pics to see how it compares to my front sprocket.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post

Freebob...

Might be an old post 'But it's still relevant, My Sprocket and shaft gave up the ghost 2 1/2 weeks ago.
    I might get it back the end of this week.

Spyder Garage
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Angry ME TO!!!!!!!

On the last two 100+ mile rides I noticed a gear whine or chatter when I let off the throttle. I had my dealer do my service before I was heading to MB the following week. I told my service manger to have the tect check it out.
    The tect called me back to the service area to show me how loose the drive pulley was. The inside splines of the pulley were half going. They overnight it and one for my wife Spyder also. Took my wife Spyder in the next day and they replaced hers too but hers was not near as bad as my(yes I have smoked the tire a few time and she does not BUT hers was needing replaced).
    After they got mine back together they found the coolant bottle leaking so have to overnight that to. Got my Spyder home Friday and left Saturday morning going to MB for the week. No more problems so far with about 800+ miles that week.
    We had about 19,500 miles when we found this problem.
    So pay attention to what you hear from your Spyder as she will let you know that she has a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All you want to hear is her eight legs humming along at about 60/70 miles an hour! What a sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hope to see everyone at MV and Lamants.

Spyder Garage

Just found out mine is bad too. cow town is overniting it to me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Glad you posted this thread Spyderwolf. I am having the same problem and my front sprocket is worn just like yours was. The belt is visibly worn also. Hopefully I can get it taken care of before the Maggie Valley trip.
    Wow, how many times does this make for you having sprocket issues now? I think Doc still has the record so far, but know your Spyder went through the entire new engine deal. I also hope they get it sorted out before Maggie Valley.

Best of luck to the rest of you who are having problems now as well. It is definitely not fun having the Spyder in the shop, especially now that ryding season is here for many of you northern owners.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Latest word on mine is that the front sprocket is fine but the belt and the rear sprocket are whats causing my excessive belt noise. Now the wait for the parts to come in.

Spyder Garage

Latest word on mine is that the front sprocket is fine but the belt and the rear sprocket are whats causing my excessive belt noise. Now the wait for the parts to come in.
    Hopefully those will be there quickly and you will be able to make it to Lamont's and Maggie Valley. Perhaps Firefly has a spare rear sprocket you could get sooner, he sure seems to have everything else.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Waiting 3 weeks now, with another week to go, front sprocket and shaft. The interesting thing is while my Spyder is in the shop'
    Two more Spyders came in with bad front sprockets also. Is this getting contagious?.

Spyder Garage

Hopefully those will be there quickly and you will be able to make it to Lamont's and Maggie Valley. Perhaps Firefly has a spare rear sprocket you could get sooner, he sure seems to have everything else.

I'm going to the BBQ even if I have to drive there. I'll take the wife's Aztec and we can try out its camping gear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Waiting 3 weeks now, with another week to go, front sprocket and shaft. The interesting thing is while my Spyder is in the shop'
    Two more Spyders came in with bad front sprockets also. Is this getting contagious?.
    Good question. Another question would be if all of those having issues now are 08 and 09 models that started life with the higher belt tension specs. Speculation on my part makes me think this might just be the case.

I'm going to the BBQ even if I have to drive there. I'll take the wife's Aztec and we can try out its camping gear.
    Whatever you end up coming on or in, get there safely. I look forward to finally meeting you and Deb.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Good question. Another question would be if all of those having issues now are 08 and 09 models that started life with the higher belt tension specs. Speculation on my part makes me think this might just be the case.
    Mine is an 08, I didn't bother to ask what year the other two were.
    The fewer words i have with the dealer the better off we both are.

Spyder Garage

Mine is an 08, I didn't bother to ask what year the other two were.
    The fewer words i have with the dealer the better off we both are.
    I can totally understand your frustration with that.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Good point: when changed 7 front sprockets in 120K miles I was named "destroyer"...
    To bodorgera: I have a spare front sprocket to loan, let me know.
    Shut up and Race!