Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just an FYI the iso grips for non heated replacements come in gloss black (non clam shell) and are made to install after the spyder grips are removed.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Hammie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT installation

Has anyone installed the 6183 grips on a 2012 RT model? I was wonder if the shifter still requires being shaved down.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Black Kuryakyn grips

This is Darren from Kuryakyn and we do have the Black ISO grips for the heated grips part# is 6383, if anyone has any questions or problems feel free to contact me.

thank you

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question

I have bought a pair of 7/8 Kuryakyn Grips for my 2012 RT will I not be able to take the old grips off and install the ISO grips as I did on my Goldwing would appreciate any advice you can offer
    Thank You

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fredor View Post
    I have bought a pair of 7/8 Kuryakyn Grips for my 2012 RT will I not be able to take the old grips off and install the ISO grips as I did on my Goldwing would appreciate any advice you can offer
    Thank You
    Hi Fredor, why not order the clamshell grips that easily install over your heated grips? My husband and I installed the black ones, 6383, over my stock heated grips this week following Lamonster's instructions and pictures. It went really well, and I'm still able to get my heat. With a little bit of effort, they slid right over the stock heated grips. We shaved the very end piece of the stock grip and used a Dremel to shave down the paddle shifter, and it looks perfect. It seems that you would ruin the heat option if you removed the stock heated grips, and the clamshells are not expensive at all. I think you should order those and make it easy on yourself.

Good luck!
    Previous ride | 2009 Yamaha V Star Custom | black/pink flames
    Current ride | 2011 RT Limited | pearl white

Diamond R Accessories Premium Floorboards | Gorilla alarm system | Gloryders in pink kiss design | Spyder Sisters Frunk organizer | Kuryakyn clamshell grips | Lamonster Laser Alignment | Custom Dynamics HMT brake light, front fender lights, brightsides | Ultimate seat

Spyder Garage

I too installed the 6383 black grips and love them. I thought it odd they did not have the throttle boss for these in black, only chrome. So I ordered one in black for the smaller ISO grips and did a little filing and refinish work on the inside of the tab, they went on fine. Oh, the hose clamp idea someone posted was great, made the install much easier.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Need Contoured Throttle Boss

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I too installed the 6383 black grips and love them. I thought it odd they did not have the throttle boss for these in black, only chrome. So I ordered one in black for the smaller ISO grips and did a little filing and refinish work on the inside of the tab, they went on fine. Oh, the hose clamp idea someone posted was great, made the install much easier.
    You must use the Contoured Throttle Bosses with those specific grips. For black it is only available for the right side. Hopefully they are going to have a left side available soon.

We used Chrome on ours and put the Contoured Throttle Bosses on Both Sides.

If you are willing to do a little messing around it is well worth it.
    Rick
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

Default ISO Heated Grips

I will be tackling this project in the coming week just received the grips. Lamonsters' tutorial makes it look easy. I it is.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rick_w View Post
    You must use the Contoured Throttle Bosses with those specific grips. For black it is only available for the right side. Hopefully they are going to have a left side available soon.

We used Chrome on ours and put the Contoured Throttle Bosses on Both Sides.

If you are willing to do a little messing around it is well worth it.
    Rick
    Kuryakyn reports that pn 6318 the black contoured throttle boss does not fit the 6383 GL1800 clamshell type grips, only the standard ISO grips, just like the regular Throttle Boss.

Here is the web page:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/385...-Throttle-Boss

pn 6310 does fit but its available in chrome only.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 11-17-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Kuryakyn reports that pn 6318 the black contoured throttle boss does not fit the 6383 GL1800 clamshell type grips, only the standard ISO grips, just like the regular Throttle Boss.

Here is the web page:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/385...-Throttle-Boss

pn 6310 does fit but its available in chrome only.
    I am quite aware of what they have in their catalog and online, we are a factory Kuryakyn dealer. Since we have availability for parts and bikes to try them on we try all kinds of things out, a lot of times at customers request.
    The standard Contoured Throttle Bosses work fine as you can see from the picture I have with them installed on our own RT with the Kuryakyn Clam Shell Grips installed.
    The other Contour Throttle Bosses they list are a bit wider. The chrome and black are the same piece. I think the standard size Contour looks better.
    The standard original Throttle Bosses will not work with these grips.

We have been selling the regular contour's to go with these for a while.
    Rick
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

I am quite aware of what they have in their catalog and online, we are a factory Kuryakyn dealer. Since we have availability for parts and bikes to try them on we try all kinds of things out, a lot of times at customers request.
    The standard Contoured Throttle Bosses work fine as you can see from the picture I have with them installed on our own RT with the Kuryakyn Clam Shell Grips installed.
    The other Contour Throttle Bosses they list are a bit wider. The chrome and black are the same piece. I think the standard size Contour looks better.
    The standard original Throttle Bosses will not work with these grips.

We have been selling the regular contour's to go with these for a while.
    Rick
    Kuryakyn says the 6309 and 6318 (chrome and black respectively) are the same size. The 6310 is for the clamshell grips for GL1800 and there is not a corresponding black part number at this time. I emailed them long ago when I looked for mine before ordering. Your photo above is the chrome 6310.

So you are saying the catalog and Kuryakyn customer service rep are both wrong and the pn 6318 is actually the same size as the 6310, not the smaller 6299? Really not trying to argue with you, just tired of ordering parts that do not fit correctly or as described and vendors blame me for one reason or another and I am out $$ in shipping etc trying parts until I make one fit.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Kuryakyn says the 6309 and 6318 (chrome and black respectively) are the same size. The 6310 is for the clamshell grips for GL1800 and there is not a corresponding black part number at this time. I emailed them long ago when I looked for mine before ordering. Your photo above is the chrome 6310.

So you are saying the catalog and Kuryakyn customer service rep are both wrong and the pn 6318 is actually the same size as the 6310, not the smaller 6299? Really not trying to argue with you, just tired of ordering parts that do not fit correctly or as described and vendors blame me for one reason or another and I am out $$ in shipping etc trying parts until I make one fit.
    Pretty hard to argue with a picture that shows installed. I also did not say they were the exact same size. I stated that the 6310 for the GL1800 are a little wider (same at the mounting point).

We only tried it because one of our customers installed them before we put them on our RT and called us. Kuryakyn made a larger outside diameter one, the 6310 that will not touch the rubber. It would fit exactly like the originals on the standard grips. These are designed for Gold Wings and if they did not look exactly like the originals with the same proportions some people may complain.
    The rep's at Kuryakyn in almost all cases are going to tell you exactly what is on the fitment chart. We do talk to Kuryakyn every day, our company rep there does know that they will fit.
    If you want black order a set from us, it will fit exactly as shown on our RT. We even have the Blue Accent Rings installed with them now.
    If someone wants the larger version in Chrome we can get them also.
    Rick

Last edited by rick_w; 11-17-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

Ok, time to put up or shut up....

Order placed. I appreciate your patience with me and look forward to the properly fitting throttle boss with my Kuryakyn 6383 grips.

James

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Received the contoured throttle boss in black. Not entirely happy. While I was able to make it 'fit' the rounded part that goes between the end cap and end of grip is significantly smaller diameter than the grip and end cap. Looks like crap and looks like I used the wrong part. (which I did). Getting the screws in was a tight fit, have to hold the throttle boss up against the grip, hard enough to compress the rubber grip for the screw holes to align.

It does NOT look like the chrome ones in the photos above that show it matches the diameter of the grip. As stated by Kuryakyn, its not the right part for these grips. Its not worth the $$ in shipping to send back a $16 part. Once again, a vendor sells parts that 'fit' and yet really don't. Sorry but facts are facts and thought others should know before making up their own mind. Perhaps Kuryakyn will one day sell a throttle boss for these black clamshell grips like the chrome ones.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Pretty hard to argue with a picture that shows installed. I also did not say they were the exact same size. I stated that the 6310 for the GL1800 are a little wider (same at the mounting point).

We only tried it because one of our customers installed them before we put them on our RT and called us. Kuryakyn made a larger outside diameter one, the 6310 that will not touch the rubber. It would fit exactly like the originals on the standard grips. These are designed for Gold Wings and if they did not look exactly like the originals with the same proportions some people may complain.
    The rep's at Kuryakyn in almost all cases are going to tell you exactly what is on the fitment chart. We do talk to Kuryakyn every day, our company rep there does know that they will fit.
    If you want black order a set from us, it will fit exactly as shown on our RT. We even have the Blue Accent Rings installed with them now.
    If someone wants the larger version in Chrome we can get them also.
    Rick

just installed these exact same grips. Love them now if only the rain will stop

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTVIPER View Post
    just installed these exact same grips. Love them now if only the rain will stop

You installed the chrome or black grips? My problem was Kuryakyn says they do not have a throttle boss that fits the black grips, Rick maintained the ones they were selling would fit. They do not fit correctly and do not look like the ones in the photo when installed. The ones in the photo are chrome and use a different part number throttle boss that does fit the chrome grips.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

You installed the chrome or black grips? My problem was Kuryakyn says they do not have a throttle boss that fits the black grips, Rick maintained the ones they were selling would fit. They do not fit correctly and do not look like the ones in the photo when installed. The ones in the photo are chrome and use a different part number throttle boss that does fit the chrome grips.
    Since I have all chrome, installed the chrome ones.

Spyder Garage

They should have fit exactly as the chrome, the grips are the same and throttle boss is the same.
    We do not want you to be unhappy. There may be a small difference in the black grips that are giving you the problem. We have had a lot of people install those chrome ones.
    Send it back in the mail, we will credit you back everything and give you credit for the the return shipping.
    Rick
    Last edited by rick_w; 12-03-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

Default Kury 6183 grips

I just finished looking at the procedure for installing the kury 6183 grips and realized that it was a while ago this was done.
    will the same 6183 work as well on my 2013 ST S ?
    gene t

Spyder Garage

OK LEFT SIDE ON NO PROBLEM WHEN I TOOK THE RT END CAP OUT MY SPRING POPPED OUT... WHAT IS THE TRICK TO GETTING IT BACK IN CAN SEE THE SLOTED AREA WHERE IT SHOULD GO AND THE PIN IT SHOULD FIT INTO.... IF I JUST LINE THOSE UP THE TIGHTER I MAKE THE SCREW THE THROTTLE DOES NOT RETURN FULLY.. IF I BACK IT OUT IT RETURNS NORMALLY.. KNOW I AM DOING SOMETHING STUPID... AND CANT FIND THE PROPER ALIGNMENT IN MY SERVICE MANUAL

ANY HELP APPRECIATED

THANKS
    JIM EVANS
    2014 RTL, cb,all panels color matched over 300 LEDs, pass armrests sat radio chrome WS brkt, larger w.s, more to come

Spyder Garage

Join DateAug 2011LocationMobile AlabamaPosts94Post Thanks / Like

I for sure lost some heat after the mod...........they do still get warm enough for me......bear in mind though.....I live on the gulf coast, not New York.
    Other than that, great mod, they are very fat, I have big hands they feel great to me. I also put the throttle boss on the right side.....i like it too......

I lost some of the heat too, but now that i moved to Florida, i guess I have to think about a/c grips!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JIM EVANS View Post
    OK LEFT SIDE ON NO PROBLEM WHEN I TOOK THE RT END CAP OUT MY SPRING POPPED OUT... WHAT IS THE TRICK TO GETTING IT BACK IN CAN SEE THE SLOTED AREA WHERE IT SHOULD GO AND THE PIN IT SHOULD FIT INTO.... IF I JUST LINE THOSE UP THE TIGHTER I MAKE THE SCREW THE THROTTLE DOES NOT RETURN FULLY.. IF I BACK IT OUT IT RETURNS NORMALLY.. KNOW I AM DOING SOMETHING STUPID... AND CANT FIND THE PROPER ALIGNMENT IN MY SERVICE MANUAL

ANY HELP APPRECIATED

THANKS
    I had the same thing happen to me. What I did was to stretch the spring just a slight bit.
    I then used a small screw driver to help line up the pin inside the handle. Then carefully installed the end cap
    Good luck
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark