Spyder Garage

Question Rear fender strut repairs

I recall reading a post by Lamont a few months back saying that he was about to repair the rear fender struts where they cracked. I've been searching for that post and can't find it.

How did your repair last, Lamont? Any sign of the cracking returning? Did you stiffen the strut while you had the chance?

Has anyone else been through this?

I'm about to have my third replacement set fitted (they fail about every 10000 km), and I'm looking for a better way.

Cheers;

Pogo.

Spyder Garage

Do away with it - problem solved.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ht=rear+fender
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

I added a little weld on the inside. So far it's fine but now I have a crack on the right strut.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=fender+strut

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I added a little weld on the inside. So far it's fine but now I have a crack on the right strut.
    I didn't have any cracks yet but just as a precaution I reinforced the inner area where people have reported they occur. I used JB Weld with masking tape across the goop while it set up to keep it in place. We'll see...

Spyder Garage

Default Rear fender replacement plus belt guard

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    It's a possibility, Freddy, but not one I'm keen on. How does your little guard go at keeping the road crap off the back of the bike? I do a lot of distance, and I would like to leave the mud and dust on the road behind me rather than on the back of my jacket. Maybe if I followed the same idea (incorporating the plate to move it back to get some clearance) and use a wider guard it would work ok.

Also, I carry a pillion fairly frequently. I can usually trust my foot to stay away from the belt, but they might not be so adept. Has anyone had any success mounting a belt guard that doesn't guide stones onto the lower run and hold them there?

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    I didn't have any cracks yet but just as a precaution I reinforced the inner area where people have reported they occur. I used JB Weld with masking tape across the goop while it set up to keep it in place. We'll see...
    I'm surprised that that worked, but it kinda matches my lack of skills. How long ago did you do this? How many miles?

Pogo.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Thanks Lamont. That was the link I was looking for.

I've seen one repair where a 6 mm rod was welded across the top inside the strut to stiffen it against twisting. I haven't caught up with the owner again to find out if it was successful.

Pogo

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
    I'm surprised that that worked, but it kinda matches my lack of skills. How long ago did you do this? How many miles?

Pogo.
    Your right, lack of skills. Just a red-neck solution, 'hay' it can't hurt...
    Last edited by Campverdefela; 02-01-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just finished the same job. Two bikes with the same problem.
    We took off the supports and stripped the rest. Took the supports to a panelbeater who put a weld on the inside and repainted. Just charged thirty Euro for the job.
    The most painful part is taking out the bolts near the exhaust and underneath. Get the correct tools and its much easier.
    They shold hold, on our bumpy roads,, we will see.
    Worth doing.
    Will keep posted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default JB Weld

Pogo.
    I'm with you; However, It's an interesting concept.

Spyder Garage

It's a possibility, Freddy, but not one I'm keen on. How does your little guard go at keeping the road crap off the back of the bike? I do a lot of distance, and I would like to leave the mud and dust on the road behind me rather than on the back of my jacket. Maybe if I followed the same idea (incorporating the plate to move it back to get some clearance) and use a wider guard it would work ok.

Also, I carry a pillion fairly frequently. I can usually trust my foot to stay away from the belt, but they might not be so adept. Has anyone had any success mounting a belt guard that doesn't guide stones onto the lower run and hold them there?
    I've not had any issues with road crap more than before, but then I've never ridden on muddy roads with it. My wife's foot, as pillion, has never been a concern getting too close to the belt either. If/when I can get hold of a cheap left strutt I intend cutting it down to be a belt guard for the pillion, just to be sure for when I give my grandkids a ryde. I wanna keep the complete fender I removed for when I sell/trade the Spyder.

There's an aftermarket belt guard available to keep stones out.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The belt guards are not really necessary. The belt is far enough back and low enough that a passenger siting properly on the seat will be safe from the belt. I really can't think of a situation where you will get caught in the belt if you are operating your spyder responsibly. and it will lessen the chance of trowing a stone thru the sprocket. I have had my stock fender off for two years now and have not had a problem with rain and debris it seems to do a better job at shielding me and it is definitely easier to clean the rear end. I think it looks cooler, and protects your license plate.

Last edited by EricDeub; 02-02-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Don't really agree on the belt guard issue Eric. Here's how mine looked 2 weeks after I bought my trike - before I made up an inner guard.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That is because you still have lower outer guard on. That is the guard responsible for that. It acts like a Gide to your sprocket. I live in the country and have a lot of stone roads put a stone throw my belt the day I bought my Spyder and another a week later. I took off lower outer guard and it never did it again. Not saying it will prevent it but it will minimise it. In my case 7000 miles later It has so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Don't really agree on the belt guard issue Eric. Here's how mine looked 2 weeks after I bought my trike - before I made up an inner guard.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EricDeub View Post
    That is because you still have lower outer guard on. That is the guard responsible for that. It acts like a Gide to your sprocket. I live in the country and have a lot of stone roads put a stone throw my belt the day I bought my Spyder and another a week later. I took off lower outer guard and it never did it again. Not saying it will prevent it but it will minimise it. In my case 7000 miles later It has so far.

That's a very successful outcome Eric which I wouldn't have expected.
    Long may it continue.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default The rear fender strut issue.

I have two cracks (one on each strut) I went to my dealer and asked for warranty since my spyder is only 10 months old. If they fix it, I will need to reinforce it because it will crack again.