Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Statefarm Insurance

Anybody here insured through statefarm?

When I first bought my spyder, I was told by my statefarm agent that statefarm did not insure spyders. I thought it was due to lack of credible data on spyder accidents and losses. So I went with Foremost.

Now that I had my spyder for a few years, I thought about getting the spyder on my statefarme policy, but I was told this morning that statefarm still did not insure spyders.

I am certain that I have heard from people here who are insured through statefarm. If you are, can you tell me how is your spyder classified on your policy (motorcycle, trike, recreative vehicle, etc.) and where you live?

Thanks much.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default State Farm definetly does insure Spyders

I have a 2009, have had it insured with State Farm since I bout it new 4/09. Very happy. All he has to do is look it up under Can-Am or Spyder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bersquack View Post
    Anybody here insured through statefarm?

When I first bought my spyder, I was told by my statefarm agent that statefarm did not insure spyders. I thought it was due to lack of credible data on spyder accidents and losses. So I went with Foremost.

Now that I had my spyder for a few years, I thought about getting the spyder on my statefarme policy, but I was told this morning that statefarm still did not insure spyders.

I am certain that I have heard from people here who are insured through statefarm. If you are, can you tell me how is your spyder classified on your policy (motorcycle, trike, recreative vehicle, etc.) and where you live?

Thanks much.
    I have been with State Farm for many years. When I bought my Spyder, it was one of the first to be insured by State Farm here in Ontario. They classified it as a motorcycle, and the rates I paid were the same extremely high rate (other insurance companies are even worse) that I am accustomed to paying for any motorcycle in this jurisdiction. I am paying about the same for my Guzzi as I did for the Spyder.

Cheers,

Bruce

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default State Farm

My rates have come down nicely - I am assuming as they have more actuarial experience to go on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have State Farm and on my policy the Body Style is shown as a MTRCYCLE. Under Class it is listed as 1B0S000000. I live in Indiana.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got Safeco in our office, and they'll combine a policy for a Spyder with your other personal lines coverages...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My Spyder is insured with State Farm. It's currently classified as a motorcycle. I checked rates with many other companies and SF was the cheapest. What I am after them to do is re-examine their coverage options so that I can get towing added. They supposedly don't offer at present. I've had SF for all my insurance needs for decades. They have consistly provided me with the coverage I wanted/needed at the lowest cost. All would be perfect if i could get towing added.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Default state farm

I also got state farm this past Aug. Think it was about $550 (approx)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    I have State Farm and on my policy the Body Style is shown as a MTRCYCLE. Under Class it is listed as 1B0S000000. I live in Indiana.
    I have State Farm and the class is what you listed. But, I'm looking at my policy and can't see where it says Body Style.

Under ordinary use of vehicle.... it does say motorcycle. Under..... Your premium is based on the following....2008 CANAM SPID ROADSTER.

I live in NY. The policy has to be written for a year even if you take it off the road for the winter. The policy has been in effect since 1/2009.

I'd give my rate; but, it's based on deductibles and your location. However, it's about 60% of my auto rate for a new Honda Crosstour.
    Last edited by wyliec; 01-26-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had auto insurance with SF here in DFW; but they wanted a ridiculous amount to insure the Spyder so I switched to Progressive for a better rate. I will be shopping again soon just as a matter of course to see about getting it down even more.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 585.76 per year.

I have used SF for 31 years now. I am 47 with a great driving record. I have a 2008 Spyder SM5. (of course a motorcycle does not count as a multicar discount....) I pay 585.76 per year.

Spyder Garage

Have been s State Farm customer since 1964. They have my home, auto, and motorcycles. They have insured my Spyders from day 1 when I bought my first 2008. The agent who told you they don't insure Spyders was in error. A good company if you get into a place where you have to file a claim--they pay with no BS attached.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Been with SF (30+ yrs)for everything except the when check they would insure it but was too high. Went with Nationwide for about half of what SF was asking.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for your responses.

I pushed my agent to do some research and he called a few underwriters and apparently they now cover the spyder in my area.

So far the quote he gave me is not as good has what Foremost si offering.

Spyder Garage

Been covering my Spyder since 2008

And can I get a Hot Tub?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SauUa5Z4Ihw[/ame]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have been with SF since the miidle 70s. In Maine they are classified as motorcycles. No problem getting it insured. Something to think about is what is it classified as in your state motorcycle , trike or something else.

Spyder Garage

I've had SF for 39 years in S Fl., insured my spyder in Dec.07, wasn't the cheapest I'm sure, but they always come through when i crash something!

Spyder Garage

Default Insured by State Farm since new

I pay around $21/month for full coverage, and haven't had any trouble with them. Got a great agent too!
    Happy Former-Spyder owner!
    2008 SM5 PE# 3518 / Intense Blue Pearl (sold 2014)

Spyder Garage

My is insured by state farm in pa.

Class - Motorcycle
    Body Style - Sprt trg
    $340 Per year is what I pay(comp and collision)

Did you try and go to a different agent?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink

We called many companies for quotes. What most forget about is the Under Insured coverage and how important it is to us on bikes. Not to mention one persons idea of full coverage and necessarily needed limits are not the same as another.

For example... The avg auto accident lawsuit payout loss in 2006 for King County (County I live in Washington State) was $317,000. But I know for a fact it was only about $27,000 in southern Illinios the same year.

Not to mention driving records, commute times, ryding seasons length of time etc... And that there is no State Law here to even have Motorcycle insurance. So most here (Over 70%) do not carry it. So this causes those who choose to get it to bare the weight of the costs (Not as many policy holders to level the cost)

This will cause the cost of ones insurance policy to be drastically different than another as they are deciding how much insurance risk they want the Insurance company to bare vs. what they consider to great of a cost vs. the risk.

After it was all said and done, SF is offing coverages for the Spyders here, but was badly beaten by Foremost and then Foremost was beaten by Gieco. So we pay for the maximum amount of LIA and UN/IM 250/500 with $500 comp and coll deductibles for a total cost of $727 a year.

Now if I wanted to change insurance companies and have multi policy discounts added and such the prices did come down, but so did Gieco's.

Keep in mind the Median house price here is about $337,000 the last time I looked. ***Correction it is $375,000*** (Link)(For a reference to the costs of everything) Not to mention Mercedes, Cadi's and BMW's are the norm here for far to many folks. All this means is there is a lot more attorneys per capita for $$$ lawsuits...
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 01-26-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    I've had SF for 39 years in S Fl., insured my spyder in Dec.07, wasn't the cheapest I'm sure, but they always come through when i crash something!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Geico, $491/year for $100k/$300k coverage with $1k deductable.
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have State Farm and they have insured my spyder since June 2008 -- rates are reasonable --just paid my premium for 6 months $195.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

I personally think that everyone needs to periodically get quotes from your insurance company's competitors.

After using SF for over 20 years for auto and home, I obtained quotes two years ago from several top-tier competitors. I was shocked at how much cheaper the alternatives were.

My home-owners insurance dropped from $1700/year to $800... same coverage. My SUV coverage dropped from $900 to $500... same coverage. My two bikes dropped from $600 to $250... again, same coverage.

That's my $0.02. .
    Last edited by ataDude; 01-26-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have had SF for 40 years or so. My one claim with them was handled quickly and good for me. I have about every discount they offer. They insured my RS/GS at a good rate. The Rt is more. My agent said, it is because the RT are so new. I will wait and see.
    OldManZues