Thread: "CLANK"

Spyder Garage

Default "CLANK"

Lately I've noticed while ryding on the freeway that the RT would start yanking me to the left and I'd have to fight with it to get it back in the lane I was driving in. DPS thingy I guess (still waiting to get recall done, I'm next in line they say). So I went out and did some figure 8's in a parking lot (as was shared here on the board) and seemed to do fine after that. Yesterday I was cruising down a 45 mph road that slightly curved to the left. After coming out of the curve and straightening up I heard a loud "CLANK" and felt the handle bars jolt. Freaked me out for a moment, pulled over and looked over the Spyder and nothing looked out of the ordinary. Brand new road, no pot holes and no debris in the road. Continued home with no problems, but going to call the dealership today. Anyone else experience this? Oh yeah, FINALLY hit 2000 miles yesterday! Took 10 months to do so! I'm such a bad Spyder ryder!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taggtr View Post
    Lately I've noticed while ryding on the freeway that the RT would start yanking me to the left and I'd have to fight with it to get it back in the lane I was driving in. DPS thingy I guess (still waiting to get recall done, I'm next in line they say). So I went out and did some figure 8's in a parking lot (as was shared here on the board) and seemed to do fine after that. Yesterday I was cruising down a 45 mph road that slightly curved to the left. After coming out of the curve and straightening up I heard a loud "CLANK" and felt the handle bars jolt. Freaked me out for a moment, pulled over and looked over the Spyder and nothing looked out of the ordinary. Brand new road, no pot holes and no debris in the road. Continued home with no problems, but going to call the dealership today. Anyone else experience this? Oh yeah, FINALLY hit 2000 miles yesterday! Took 10 months to do so! I'm such a bad Spyder ryder!

DPS; Tell your dealer next on the list isn't good enough, The DPS has to be replaced now.
    The clank you hear is probably what most people described as the notch,
    And a sure sign that your DPS is BAD!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get your DPS replaced and then get out there and ride. Your Spyder probably cries itself to sleep thinking that you don't love it enough to ride it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

You need your DPS replaced now! if your dealer cannot get one, contact Carlo and see if he can expedite things for you. You have a serious safety issue! While they are doing the work, they should carefully inspect all suspension components and fasteners, being especially midful of play in the shock bushings, tie-rod ends, and ball joints. The sticking can be the DPS, an alignment/tire pressure issue, or both. The "clank" is not a common DPS issue, so I would look long and hard for an additional cause.

Are you sure the "clank" did not come from the rear? Bad rear shocks make this sound. There is a service bulletin regarding the issue. Have the dealer do an inspection, replace the shock if needed, (and adjust the ride-height sensor if you have an RTS).
    Last edited by NancysToy; 01-26-2011 at 08:32 AM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Wink

BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You need your DPS replaced now! if your dealer cannot get one, contact Carlo and see if he can expedite things for you. You have a serious safety issue! While they are doing the work, they should carefully inspect all suspension components and fasteners, being especially midful of play in the shock bushings, tie-rod ends, and ball joints. The sticking can be the DPS, an alignment/tire pressure issue, or both. The "clank" is not a common DPS issue, so I would look long and hard for an additional cause.

Are you sure the "clank" did not come from the rear? Bad rear shocks make this sound. There is a service bulletin regarding the issue. Have the dealer do an inspection, replace the shock if needed, (and adjust the ride-height sensor if you have an RTS).
    It definitely came from the front, right when I felt the handle bar jolt. Dealership is a few miles from where I live and I'm sure they will come pick it up for me and take it in. The service dept will be open today and I'll make sure they go through everything underneath front to back! I do have a great relationship with the dealership and I know they'll even let me hang with them when they get into the Spyder to see what's up.
    Last week the service manager did say that an RT DPS replacement was in transit to Tucson from Canada and I'm next on the list for replacement. Stunk that BRP kept sending RS replacements and amazing how many Spyders were on the list before me and I purchased it there! A lot of them were purchased elsewhere, but I never see them on the road!
    Just glad I hit 2000 miles! lol I feel I'll be back on the road in no time!

Thanks for all the responses!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post

This is a safety issue.

Spyder Garage

"Clank" sounds like a loose swaybar.

Spyder Garage

Default Something Else?

My dealer (both the Service Manager and senior mechanic are Spyder Certified) told me during a recent conversation regarding DPS (mine's being done now), that there is no physical input related to DPS that would cause the Spyder to suddenly veer, jolt or otherwise yank sideways out of control ... even if the steering angle sensor is whacked. If a DPS problem, you would feel the issue from start to finish of the ryde. A previous problem a member reported as DPS was actually a loose bolt at the top of the suspension. Especially given the "clank" you are hearing, you may have steering linkage or suspension issues (or as lamonster notes, perhaps a swaybar problem). I will add that the DPS recall is a voluntary one on the part of BRP, and nothing has ever been discovered regarding the native DPS that has it marked as prone to failure; although some have, sporadically. The "notch," as some call it is a characteristic; not a failure, although the newer DPS seems to make it go away for those who've noticed it ( I admit I've never noticed it on my RT-S). None of us here are master mechanics (not sure if lamonster is or not; but he's certainly the most qualified among us) and I've found even groundswells of opinion on a problem are often disqualified by the problem being something else revealed by a qualified technician. Get your bike on a haul-up and carried (do not ride it) to your mechanic asap.

Best of luck,

~ Surfer.
    Last edited by SilverSurfer; 01-26-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    "Clank" sounds like a loose swaybar.
    It could be. I so want to get into this thing to find out what's up, but don't want to void any warranties. I'll let y'all know what they find.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    My dealer (both the Service Manager and senior mechanic are Spyder Certified) told me during a recent conversation regarding DPS (mine's being done now), that there is no physical input related to DPS that would cause the Spyder to suddenly veer, jolt or otherwise yank sideways out of control ... even if the steering angle sensor is whacked. If a DPS problem, you would feel the issue from start to finish of the ryde. A previous problem a member reported as DPS was actually a loose bolt at the top of the suspension. Especially given the "clank" you are hearing, you may have steering linkage or suspension issues (or as lamonster notes, perhaps a swaybar problem). I will add that the DPS recall is a voluntary one on the part of BRP, and nothing has ever been discovered regarding the native DPS that has it marked as prone to failure; although some have, sporadically. The "notch," as some call it is a characteristic; not a failure, although the newer DPS seems to make it go away for those who've noticed it ( I admit I've never noticed it on my RT-S). None of us here are master mechanics (not sure if lamonster is or not; but he's certainly the most qualified among us) and I've found even groundswells of opinion on a problem are often disqualified by the problem being something else revealed by a qualified technician. Get your bike on a haul-up and carried (do not ride it) to your mechanic asap.

Best of luck,

~ Surfer.
    Definitely sounds like the problem. Explains why I sway into other lanes when ryding. Thank you Surfer!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    My . I will add that the DPS recall is a voluntary one on the part of BRP,

~ Surfer.

Voluntary Recall; Either you do it Voluntary or we [NHTSA] Will make it a Mandatory Recall,
    And you won't like the bad press you'll get.

Spyder Garage

Dealership picked it up and definitely said there is something wrong with the sway bar or suspension up front. The DPS unit did show up and they're gonna do it all in one shot! May have it by the weekend if all goes well!

Spyder Garage

Wink

Glad to hear! Also nice to read so much valuable information in one thread.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Got my RT back today! Yay!!!! They replaced the DPS and checked out my front end problem. They said everything checked out fine with the suspension and steering, but the old DPS had a bunch of codes that showed up when checked. I guess my left tire was 1-2 psi lower than the right tire and supposedly the DPS thought I was turning as it was pulling left and the DPS would "kick in". I guess my digital air pressure gauge that came with the Spyder stinks, but then again the mechanic said that it shouldn't have mattered if the psi was 1-2 off. As for the clunk, I had to of hit a rock or something in the road and it kicked up underneath. Anywhooooo......
    Went for a ryde today after picking it up and felt like a totally different machine. Felt like the Spyder was in control and was taking me for a ryde. I'm happy! Road trip time!!!!

Spyder Garage

Glad you got your CLANK fixed . You where lucky you didn't have a "CLUNCK"
    Happy Owner

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taggtr View Post
    Got my RT back today! Yay!!!! They replaced the DPS and checked out my front end problem. They said everything checked out fine with the suspension and steering, but the old DPS had a bunch of codes that showed up when checked. I guess my left tire was 1-2 psi lower than the right tire and supposedly the DPS thought I was turning as it was pulling left and the DPS would "kick in". I guess my digital air pressure gauge that came with the Spyder stinks, but then again the mechanic said that it shouldn't have mattered if the psi was 1-2 off. As for the clunk, I had to of hit a rock or something in the road and it kicked up underneath. Anywhooooo......
    Went for a ryde today after picking it up and felt like a totally different machine. Felt like the Spyder was in control and was taking me for a ryde. I'm happy! Road trip time!!!!