Thread: utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Default utopia backrest

well my backrest finally arived,now what do i do? have a 2010 RT only 4100 miles and scared to death i will ruin the seat. has anyone near deland fl installed a utopia backrest that would assist me?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt jim View Post
    well my backrest finally arived,now what do i do? have a 2010 RT only 4100 miles and scared to death i will ruin the seat. has anyone near deland fl installed a utopia backrest that would assist me?
    I would post this in the RT touring section, I believe if memory serves m e correct, MarkLawson has the Utopia back rest, and maybe also scyclemom Do a search also

Spyder Garage

I'm in the same boat el capitain...I'm not ready yet but the instructions look pretty good.I'm putting them on both our bikes.I might contact them about sending them the seats for install.Not sure yet.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Back rest

I have done the back rest, you can't hurt the seat. The big problems are removing the seat and cutting the hole thru the seat. Follow the directions and remove the foam where the bracket goes thru the seat. The foam is hard to remove and enough of it has to come out for the bracket to be installed. It took me a couple hours but it is well worth it. Great product.

Dave

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm mechanically challenged but did it.

I installed the backrest with no difficulties. A friend did point out one issues with the backrest I had not considered. If it rains, the water will go into the seat where the cut was made for the backrest, and potentially ruin it, since the water will get into the foam with no real way to dry out properly.

Has anyone else considered this? Obviously at this juncture there is nothing I can do about it, but if I had thought of it, OI may not have installed the backrest even though it is very comfortable.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
    I installed the backrest with no difficulties. A friend did point out one issues with the backrest I had not considered. If it rains, the water will go into the seat where the cut was made for the backrest, and potentially ruin it, since the water will get into the foam with no real way to dry out properly.

Has anyone else considered this? Obviously at this juncture there is nothing I can do about it, but if I had thought of it, OI may not have installed the backrest even though it is very comfortable.
    I understand your concern, but have not seen it happen. My Goldwing has had a Utopia since 2002 and I've never seen any sign of negative impact on the integrity of the saddle in any way. I have them on both of our Spyders.

As far as the installation is concerned, I installed them on the Goldwing and the GS Spyder myself (& a Silverwing we no longer own) and believe it's not too difficult, provided you are careful. Heed the old carpenter's adage, "measure twice, cut once" & you should do alright. Bob, of Utopia, installed it on my RT's saddle, but mine was the prototype...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Default utopia backrest

thanks everyone all of you have been very helpful i will dive in and do it . will let you know capt jim.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

thanks everyone all of you have been very helpful i will dive in and do it . will let you know capt jim.
    U KEN Du iT!!
    It's easy, only hard part was getting things lined up through the foam. Be patient and it IS very wothwhile.

Spyder Garage

Once installed, is it easy to remove when you have a passenger?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Talking Finished product

Caprtain JimI would like to see the final result when you get done. I'm down in Okeechobee. Maybe we could meet&greet.
    Joe

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harddrive View Post
    I don't know for sure but the back rest folds down for the passenger right

Spyder Garage

Default Utopia BackRest

Jim

I have the utopia backrest on my RT and Recon from Citra florida also installed one on his.. If you are coming to 29th pre cuba meet and greet in Ocala you can see mine (of course assumes you aren't already done.)
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harddrive View Post
    Do you need to remove it to have enough room for a passenger, or is there enough room for an average size individual to fit behind the backrest?
    Dan

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

I have one on my RT and NO, you don't need to remove it for the passenger. It folds down/forward and there is plenty of room for the passenger after she/he sits down and the backrest is returned to an upright position. This is the second time I have installed one. My org. PE seat was defective and after BRP replaced it, I had to install the backrest on the new seat. The Utopia people were kind enough to send my another sloted patch that is applied to the seat when the slot goes through. Utopia didn't even ask for $s to send me one after I explained why I needed it. You'll love it. Just go slow, follow directions and "Just Do It".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frank3 View Post
    I have one on my RT and NO, you don't need to remove it for the passenger. It folds down/forward and there is plenty of room for the passenger after she/he sits down and the backrest is returned to an upright position....
    Thanks, Frank!
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Default utopia backrest

BIKER DOC will be there on the 29th (weather permitting) if i havent put the backrest on will bring with me. thanks capt jim.

Spyder Garage

Default where??

Where do you buy them?

Spyder Garage

Default on line

220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default utopia backrest

when i was younger i could overhaul my car,lawnmore boat ect.well i found out today can't even turn a wrench or screwdriver due to arthritis in the hands. not a problem riding my spyder or even polishing it just can't turn a blankity blankity screwdriver

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Remove foam

Quote Originally Posted by StormSpyder View Post
    I have done the back rest, you can't hurt the seat. The big problems are removing the seat and cutting the hole thru the seat. Follow the directions and remove the foam where the bracket goes thru the seat. The foam is hard to remove and enough of it has to come out for the bracket to be installed. It took me a couple hours but it is well worth it. Great product.

Dave
    How did you remove the foam. I screwed up the threads trying to start the bolts..
    Thanks, Richard

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FOAM

Quote Originally Posted by sunrunner1 View Post
    How did you remove the foam. I screwed up the threads trying to start the bolts..
    Thanks, Richard
    When I did mine on a GS and I don't think it's any different in this area......I didn't REMOVE any foam....just cut a slot for the bar to slide into.......it's not that thick..................IMHO.....Mike....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I paid my dealer to do the install , it is my only add on .

I read the instructions and thought new bike new seat and I was not confortable doing it my self .

I do like it and glad I had it added