Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Default Reply to question

Quote Originally Posted by FrankPa View Post
    I value your support of our forum and I don't want to be negative, so please take my question as a sincere effort to understand...

Why is a pully mounted on a fairly simple bracket so expensive?

Again, no disrespect intended and I am a former small businessman myself... I'm just curious. Thanks, in advance!
    Well, parts like this are typically made in smaller batches and cost more to produce. I could have them made in China for less than half the price, but chinese steel may not be any better than chinese drywall, and the tensioners didn't look as good either. My belt tensioners are made in the USA with American ingenuity, parts and labor. They cost me more, but I know of what and where they're made. They say we need more small business and manufacturing jobs in the U.S.to get the economy going, I'm trying to keep everything in the pockets of the U.S.A., from the US Steel workers to the fabricator to the powder coater and tensioner parts manufacturer and me, even though my contribution is like a grain of sand. I spent a lot of time researching and buying the best tensioner parts I could find, then I spent many hours lying awake at night thinking and worked under the spyder for months making templates out of cardboard, then plastic, then aluminum before the final steel piece was made that suited me. Then I did the same thing for the RT, except I didn't have one and had to pay the dealer to stay there after hours on numerous occasions so I could lay under there for hours without customers walking around wondering what I was doing with a flashlight, scissors, cardboard, calipers, camera, clamps, tape measures, drawings, etc. While everyone was out having fun and riding their spyders I was working hard trying to find a solution for the vibration that was causing me grief, and to quite a few others I noticed as time went on. I don't feel it is out of line price wise as far as custom motorcycle parts go and for the relief it brings if you are one of the unlucky ones to have vibration, not to mention that the vibration can rattle your bike apart, rear fenders cracking, license plates falling off, front sprockets coming loose, bulb filaments breaking, loose fuses and relays, vibration is a detriment to both the rider and the spyder. I cared enough to invest the time and effort so that myself and all the others with vibration could have a more enjoyable riding experience and maybe save some of the parts from early failure. My vibration was annoying enough that I would have gladly pulled out my wallet if something showed up in my mailbox in 2 or 3 days that would fix it. I've read only a few comments about it being overpriced, that they would make one themselves first. Well, spend the time I have designing a bracket, spend time and gas going to get plate steel and start cutting or have your fabricator make one, your still going to need a template, spend more gas and time going to pick up the part and then to the powder coater and back to get it, then to the hardware store, then to where ever you are going to purchase the tensioner parts at list price, it all adds up, and what do you figure your time is worth hourly?, time is money. I just paid $650 for a motorcycle GPS that would cost half of that in my car. I could put a dual stainless steel exhaust on my car for what I paid for a simple exhaust can. I could have made my own cardboard patterns for my GS highway peg brackets and taken them to my fabricator, a flat piece of plate with one bend and a couple holes, but for the $160 I paid another vendor, I didn't have to get on my back and measure anything or run around town, someone did this for me, and he deserves to get paid. I ordered them and they arrived and were on before the fabricator would have called me to come get them and take them to the powder coater. Of course by the time the pegs were on with the adapters they were still $300. My Madstad windshield, love it, $300, handlebar risers, floorboards, Backrest, everything is expensive, $750 for a factory backrest, It is the nature of the beast. Have any patent work done lately?, it never ends. I feel like my price is reasonable for the time, effort and expense I've invested and the benefits it hopefully provides to the bike and rider. I worked long and hard on these so no one else had to, same with Lamonster's NBV brackets and Ron's sway bars, Seal Floorboards and other vendors creations, they don't happen over nite, there is much thought, many changes in design and trips to the fabricators trying to get these just right, people deserve to be paid for their efforts. And for those that think that the vendors are just sitting back watching the cash register fill up now that the parts are made, it doesn't end there. Parts get back ordered, you have to stay on the fabricator and powder coater to get things done, or carry much more stock than need so you don't get caught short. Then you assemble everything yourself or pay someone and hope they do it like you would. Wrapping, packaging, invoicing and going to the shipper all take gas and time. Paypal takes 3-4% of your sale, Ebay takes 8% more, that's 11% profit gone right off the top. Advertising, business licenses, Incorporating etc. take some more, you can write it off but it still comes out of your pocket. Then there is personalized service, most of the Spyderlovers vendors I know are readily available if you need advise or have a problem, my business phone is my cell phone, I am available 7 days a week to help someone if they need help or have a question, and call they do, at all hours. The tensioners may not be as inexpensive as you like or think they should be, but I've made them the best I could with the best parts I could find so they would be as reliable as possible, and if you do have an issue down the road, I've got your back. Not sure what kind of business you had, but mine is a lot of leg work and time involved, and not all peaches and cream for what my profit margin is. Have a nice day, all the best, Jim
    Last edited by capt.jim; 10-29-2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: add more thoughts

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well said Jim

I like many I have modified my Spyder RT - This is the current list :-

Spyder – RT-S SES (AUTO 2010 Model)

List of Mods :-
    Added Zuno 660 - Garmin kit as supplied on the Spyder RT Limited
    Digital Voltmeter and Digital Clock to replace Fuel and Temp gauge – Fuel and Temp now
    displayed in Cluster Display
    LED Bulbs Reversing Lights,Front position lights
    HMT - Brake Light
    Full Size Brake Pedal by Steve = TricLed.com
    LED – Running lights
    LED - Mud Flap lights
    Rear extended Mud Flap
    LED Light in Rear Trunk
    Elka Shocks Stage 1 +R – Front and Rear
    Shock Covers
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Yoshimura R-77 Stainless Steel Slip on Exhaust
    Track Rod Covers
    Spyderpops – BumpSkid .Missing Belt Guard & New Funk weather-strip
    New Odyssey battery PC680MJ
    BaJaRon – Custom Ignition Wire Set + NGK 2 Iridium DCPR8EIX. Spark Plugs
    K&N Air Filter
    Sport Tall Wide Clear Wind-shield – Cut down to 24” High
    2012 Windshield Pivot pins
    Chrome 2011 Front Lower Wind deflectors
    Utopia Backrest
    Diamond R, Passenger Armrest for Can-Am Spyder RT
    S/S Seat Prop
    S/S Handlebar Weights
    S/S Grills both sides matching
    S/S Front Grills to Radiator and Oil Radiator
    Bottom Panel S/S Protection
    S/S stronger Funk Lid brackets
    S/S Bracket for RBNS Hood for Zumo 660 GPS + TourTech Lockable Mount
    Mirrors Zipped tied for added protection
    Rubber Tank protector on glove box
    Grip Puppies
    Switch in Switch Cluster for Manual Fan operation
    Power Socket in Switch Cluster and at Rear passenger Handrail
    Rear Speaker Switch for passenger On/OFF
    Upgraded Front/Rear J&M Speakers
    Replacement Richbrook Short anti theft aerials
    Blue tooth Via Sony transmitter TMR- BT10 - On board Radio to Sena SMH10 Headsets

Most of the reasons for the mods is to improve my Spyder over some of the OEM Items e.g. Plug Leads, Battery Elka Shocks etc
    I invested alot of money on my Spyder and like most manufactures they are built to a price and would cost more if they fitted
    high spec items - There is always a balance between Costs and What a customer is willing to pay

If I have been unable to find an accessories to replace a stock item I have sourced from a Non BRP supplier or attempted to make my
    own e.g. Stainless Steel Grills etc
    I know just how difficult it is to make some items and the amount of time and effort that one has to do to get results one is happy with
    I like many on this website will do alot or research and read through various threads before making a purchase
    Weighting up the cost against the gains any product will give
    The smoothspyder comes under this category - No way could I even consider making one - I would not have the time or experience to even start down that road
    Jim has invested alot of time and effort in Research and Design - His product is well made considering what is is does and the
    enviroment it is expected to perform in
    Could he had made in cheaper - Possible - but the compents would not be up to the job - Buyers would complain and his sales would have dried up by now
    Jim has designed the Smoothspyder from the ground up and used the best compents to ensure it works and any purchaser is happy with

I am glad he did and have no issues with the price - If I did I would not have purchased it and my Spyder would not be as smooth
    on the road as it now is

I am just a customer like all those on this website and feel we should support our sponsors because without them we would be left with just the stock items for our Spyders and as we know just how long improvements from BRP take

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK

Spyder Garage

yours is the next item on my list

I noticed riding home from Daytona after Biketoberfest that my RT has developed a harmonic vibration around 55-60mph so I am thinking its the belt tension so your product will hopefully remedy the situation
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Default Jim...

Thank you for your explanation; it truly does make sense to me.

I have been noticing belt harmonics more and more (proportional to my comfort level with everything else regarding the Spyder).

I will be ordering one from you in the next couple of weeks. Thanks again for your reply!!!
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Spyder Garage

Congrats

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default TENSIONER FOR THE RT

tensioner for the RT
    Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    I am happy to announce I will now be supporting Spyderlovers as a new vendor, "SMOOTH SPYDER BELT TENSIONERS". Thanks to Spyderlovers, its members and their experiences, the joy and knowledge I have received from this site is immeasurable. It's comforting to know that there are many great people that share the same passion for the spyder as myself, and if I have something to share or need advice, Spyderlovers is only a click away. Thanks, Lamonster! After lowering my belt tension to the new specs, I experienced a fair amount of belt vibration, due to the long belt length. With no apparent solution, other than tightening the belt up again, I started researching "Dynamic Spring Loaded Belt Tensioners" and Cad designed a bracket to fit the Spyder. After comparing all the Rotary tensioners available, I chose the "Fenner Drives" Rotary Tensioner, model RT 3000, automotive quality, self lubricating and 0-42lb. adjustability, along with their composite ball bearing idler pulley. This worked very well for me, and removed all my vibration with only 10 lbs of tension. Realizing there must be others with the same problem has inspired me to try my hand at manufacturing and marketing these as a kit so that others may have a solution to their vibration problems. The bracket is water jet cut from 3/16 steel plate and black epoxy powder coated and comes with all the mounting hardware and detailed illustrated instructions. The Idler Pulley is 2". A dial fishing scale is helpful to know exactly what your tension is set at, and this is included. This tensioner will only fit the G/S-R/S, but are adaptable to the RT with modification to the exhaust system. I am working on one for the RT. There is an unconditional 1 year warranty on all parts and 2 week return policy if you’re unhappy for any reason. Presently I am only shipping to the U.S., Canada and Australia. The price for Spyderlovers members is $265 to your door in the continental U.S, $285 to Canada and $300 to Australia. Send me a private message through Spyderlovers if you have any questions, or for purchasing info, thanks, Capt. Jim
    Hey, Capt. Jim:
    I hope you'll let us all know when your RT model is ready. It's on my list.
    CapNCrunch

Spyder Garage

Am certainly interested i ordering your belt tensioner for our 2011 RT and also perhaps the 2013 STS. Please
    advise when these will be ready. Thank you Capt. Jim.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    Well, parts like this are typically made in smaller batches and cost more to produce. I could have them made in China for less than half the price, but chinese steel may not be any better than chinese drywall, and the tensioners didn't look as good either. My belt tensioners are made in the USA with American ingenuity, parts and labor. They cost me more, but I know of what and where they're made. They say we need more small business and manufacturing jobs in the U.S.to get the economy going, I'm trying to keep everything in the pockets of the U.S.A., from the US Steel workers to the fabricator to the powder coater and tensioner parts manufacturer and me, even though my contribution is like a grain of sand. I spent a lot of time researching and buying the best tensioner parts I could find, then I spent many hours lying awake at night thinking and worked under the spyder for months making templates out of cardboard, then plastic, then aluminum before the final steel piece was made that suited me. Then I did the same thing for the RT, except I didn't have one and had to pay the dealer to stay there after hours on numerous occasions so I could lay under there for hours without customers walking around wondering what I was doing with a flashlight, scissors, cardboard, calipers, camera, clamps, tape measures, drawings, etc. While everyone was out having fun and riding their spyders I was working hard trying to find a solution for the vibration that was causing me grief, and to quite a few others I noticed as time went on. I don't feel it is out of line price wise as far as custom motorcycle parts go and for the relief it brings if you are one of the unlucky ones to have vibration, not to mention that the vibration can rattle your bike apart, rear fenders cracking, license plates falling off, front sprockets coming loose, bulb filaments breaking, loose fuses and relays, vibration is a detriment to both the rider and the spyder. I cared enough to invest the time and effort so that myself and all the others with vibration could have a more enjoyable riding experience and maybe save some of the parts from early failure. My vibration was annoying enough that I would have gladly pulled out my wallet if something showed up in my mailbox in 2 or 3 days that would fix it. I've read only a few comments about it being overpriced, that they would make one themselves first. Well, spend the time I have designing a bracket, spend time and gas going to get plate steel and start cutting or have your fabricator make one, your still going to need a template, spend more gas and time going to pick up the part and then to the powder coater and back to get it, then to the hardware store, then to where ever you are going to purchase the tensioner parts at list price, it all adds up, and what do you figure your time is worth hourly?, time is money. I just paid $650 for a motorcycle GPS that would cost half of that in my car. I could put a dual stainless steel exhaust on my car for what I paid for a simple exhaust can. I could have made my own cardboard patterns for my GS highway peg brackets and taken them to my fabricator, a flat piece of plate with one bend and a couple holes, but for the $160 I paid another vendor, I didn't have to get on my back and measure anything or run around town, someone did this for me, and he deserves to get paid. I ordered them and they arrived and were on before the fabricator would have called me to come get them and take them to the powder coater. Of course by the time the pegs were on with the adapters they were still $300. My Madstad windshield, love it, $300, handlebar risers, floorboards, Backrest, everything is expensive, $750 for a factory backrest, It is the nature of the beast. Have any patent work done lately?, it never ends. I feel like my price is reasonable for the time, effort and expense I've invested and the benefits it hopefully provides to the bike and rider. I worked long and hard on these so no one else had to, same with Lamonster's NBV brackets and Ron's sway bars, Seal Floorboards and other vendors creations, they don't happen over nite, there is much thought, many changes in design and trips to the fabricators trying to get these just right, people deserve to be paid for their efforts. And for those that think that the vendors are just sitting back watching the cash register fill up now that the parts are made, it doesn't end there. Parts get back ordered, you have to stay on the fabricator and powder coater to get things done, or carry much more stock than need so you don't get caught short. Then you assemble everything yourself or pay someone and hope they do it like you would. Wrapping, packaging, invoicing and going to the shipper all take gas and time. Paypal takes 3-4% of your sale, Ebay takes 8% more, that's 11% profit gone right off the top. Advertising, business licenses, Incorporating etc. take some more, you can write it off but it still comes out of your pocket. Then there is personalized service, most of the Spyderlovers vendors I know are readily available if you need advise or have a problem, my business phone is my cell phone, I am available 7 days a week to help someone if they need help or have a question, and call they do, at all hours. The tensioners may not be as inexpensive as you like or think they should be, but I've made them the best I could with the best parts I could find so they would be as reliable as possible, and if you do have an issue down the road, I've got your back. Not sure what kind of business you had, but mine is a lot of leg work and time involved, and not all peaches and cream for what my profit margin is. Have a nice day, all the best, Jim

Very nice explanation. I run my own business as well and people think it's all fun and games and making lots of money.

Spyder Garage

Any plans for one for the 2013 or 2014 RS?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt tensioner

What is the model number & price for a belt tensioner for a 2012 RT. Any detailed literature on it, and purchasing information would be benifical.

Spyder Garage