Spyder Garage

Default Spyder on Amtrak Autotrain

I just spoke to a service agent at the Lorton Va. Autotrain station and he told me they will in fact take Spyders on the train. They have taken Spyders already. He said the only problem is they have no way to tie down the bike so you will have to sign a waiver for this. I would hope the parking brake would be sufficient. I ride with Amtrak quite a bit and can only see this as adding more fun by combining the two modes of travel. I'm now planning to take my RT-S to Dizzy World in July. I much prefer to bike and train rather than fly! I hope this info helps others out too. The Phone # to Lorton station is:703-690-3615

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    I'm confused. Why would you not just ride your RT to Orlando? It's just under 1000 miles. Although I don't know why anybody would want to go to Florida in July. If you were going to train/ride your RT wouldn't a winter trip make more sense. Just curious .
    My wife and I are going to Orlando in Feburary for a family reunion and the only reason we are going in our car is because we have to pick my mother-in-law and her ex-sister-in-law at the airport once we arrive. I am trying to convince my wife that she drive the car and I the Gray Recluse and make some nice spyderrydes around the FL area .Otherwise, I would have to wait until April to ryde up to St. Louis for Spyderfest.

Spyder Garage

You can still get cold spills in Feb. March is a really nice month to be there.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder1 View Post
    I just spoke to a service agent at the Lorton Va. Autotrain station and he told me they will in fact take Spyders on the train. They have taken Spyders already. He said the only problem is they have no way to tie down the bike so you will have to sign a waiver for this. I would hope the parking brake would be sufficient. I ride with Amtrak quite a bit and can only see this as adding more fun by combining the two modes of travel. I'm now planning to take my RT-S to Dizzy World in July. I much prefer to bike and train rather than fly! I hope this info helps others out too. The Phone # to Lorton station is:703-690-3615
    Wow, that is great, where do they put the Bike? Do they charge extra? Is this for all amtracks? Can you bring your own tie downs?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Wow, that is great, where do they put the Bike? Do they charge extra? Is this for all amtracks? Can you bring your own tie downs?
    The auto train only runs the east coast from Lorton Va. to Sanford Fl. For more details go to Amtrak.com or call the station.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

I live in Sanford and am thinking about riding up to Virginia on Amtrak with my spyder and then taking about four to five days coming back to Sanford on my spyder. I rarely have an opportunity for a lengthy vacation so I figured this would be a great way of "just getting away" for a few days.

Chris PE# 0004

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Ok i just checked out the distance it's 816 miles according to map quest. auto train says it takes 17-1/2 hours non stop, mapquest says 12-1/2 hours. now i drive from ny to myrtle beach ,sc which is 750 miles the fastest i have ever done that was 12 hours. so from va to fl in 12-1/2 i think not. just saying

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're heading to WDW next weekend (Spyderless) to visit our Son. We tried Fforida in July once, and now I know what Hades feels like... Now that I know that Amtrak can haul a Spyder I feel like I have options...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

I've lived here (Sanford/Central Flarda) all my life, and I have to say that this past summer was probably the hottest I've ever experienced. (or maybe it's just that I'm getting older) With that said, I ride all the time on my spyder during the summer. Admittedly it's hot, but that doesn't keep me from riding. About the only real problem I experience is the "blow torch" where the air comes out from the fan.

Chris PE# 0004

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I've lived here (Sanford/Central Flarda) all my life, and I have to say that this past summer was probably the hottest I've ever experienced. (or maybe it's just that I'm getting older) With that said, I ride all the time on my spyder during the summer. Admittedly it's hot, but that doesn't keep me from riding. About the only real problem I experience is the "blow torch" where the air comes out from the fan.

Chris PE# 0004
    Here you go this should help!

http://web.me.com/reggystan/Tricplat...s/DSC_0656.jpg Then scroll down for more options

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Ok i just checked out the distance it's 816 miles according to map quest. auto train says it takes 17-1/2 hours non stop, mapquest says 12-1/2 hours. now i drive from ny to myrtle beach ,sc which is 750 miles the fastest i have ever done that was 12 hours. so from va to fl in 12-1/2 i think not. just saying

Goggle does not account for the stops neccessary for Gas, etc.

When I plan the trip, I use 100 miles or two hours, as a stopping point of which I add 15 minutes to each stop, with the exception, on a long trip, a food break of 1/2 to 45 minutes.

So 800 miles 7 stops at 15 minutes equal 1.3/4 hrs plus .30 for din din. comes to about 12.5 + 1.75 + .50 equals just under 14 hr rounded. even if you added an additonal 30 minutes to the din din plus longer stops by 5 minutes you would still be under 16 hours.
    Just an ole mans thought, I would go by spyder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Florida

I lived there for 20 years, the first ten wasn't that bad, I loved the winters, moving there from western N Y as i got older I disliked it more @ more. Thats one reason I moved to the Alanta area.

Pete

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Goggle does not account for the stops neccessary for Gas, etc.

When I plan the trip, I use 100 miles or two hours, as a stopping point of which I add 15 minutes to each stop, with the exception, on a long trip, a food break of 1/2 to 45 minutes.

So 800 miles 7 stops at 15 minutes equal 1.3/4 hrs plus .30 for din din. comes to about 12.5 + 1.75 + .50 equals just under 14 hr rounded. even if you added an additonal 30 minutes to the din din plus longer stops by 5 minutes you would still be under 16 hours.
    Just an ole mans thought, I would go by spyder.
    Thats true. Plus i'am sure their must be spots were the train may have to slow down.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Too bad Amtrak doesn't have an auto train that goes somewhere interesting. how about New Brunswick, Maine, upper Michigan.... Personally, I'd rather visit Chula Vista than Orlando.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Okay... I took a peek... about eight hundred bucks for two people and a Spyder for a round trip from Virginia to Florida...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

OUCH !!!!!

cheaper to ride...

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

So about $400.00 for two people and spyder to ride the train up there (D.C.) and ride the spyder back to Flarda?

Chris PE# 0004