Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP Spyder RS GPS mount

This is a long shot, but does anyone know if the new BRP GPS mount for the RS/GS in the 2011 accessories catalog (see photo) requires any permanent modification, such as holes being drilled?
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

If it's the same as the RT, it just uses two of the handle bar mounting screws.

Spyder Garage

Since it's near impossible to search the forum for things like "GPS" and "BRP," I haven't seen any other threads on this "official" GPS mount... anyone have one installed?

After my new risers took away most of my RS handlebar space, I'm wondering if this is a useful option (I've seen them on eBay for $100).
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

chickridin

I've been looking for something for our gps too. I like this mount, but refuse to pay the price. I've had my handlebars modified also but this mounts on the center "consule" as I call it. I'm thinking it would work great on my RS but just wish it were cheaper. I don't even need the arm, just the mount itself with the ball. I couldn't find a RAM mount to fit so I called the company and they said they don't make one big enough for me (due to modification/placement) so that bummed me. So, I'm still searching.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chickridin View Post
    I've been looking for something for our gps too. I like this mount, but refuse to pay the price. I've had my handlebars modified also but this mounts on the center "consule" as I call it. I'm thinking it would work great on my RS but just wish it were cheaper. I don't even need the arm, just the mount itself with the ball. I couldn't find a RAM mount to fit so I called the company and they said they don't make one big enough for me (due to modification/placement) so that bummed me. So, I'm still searching.
    I still have enough of a narrow "gap" on my right handlebar to support a traditional clamp RAM mount, but that's on the new "shorty" riser bar, and I don't know if I want the GPS up that close and high to me. This might actually be the best solution, I'll have to think about it.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

It clamps onto the silver handlebar cover..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CincySpyder View Post
    It clamps onto the silver handlebar cover..

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I have this on my GS/RS

2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

chickridin

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    I still have enough of a narrow "gap" on my right handlebar to support a traditional clamp RAM mount, but that's on the new "shorty" riser bar, and I don't know if I want the GPS up that close and high to me. This might actually be the best solution, I'll have to think about it.
    With my handlebar mod, I don't have that gap. I need a 1 1/2" but all RAM makes is 1 1/4". They make a 1 1/2" ubolt but not the mount....?????

Why couldn't you use the short arm? Would it still be to close?

chickridin

Quote Originally Posted by Pincushion View Post

Pictures please???

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chickridin View Post
    Pictures please???
    IMG_1729.jpgIMG_1728.jpg
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Spyder Garage

Default GPS Mount on Risers

I've got 4 inch risers and there was room on the right handlebar to install a ball mount. Here's what mine looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I purchased the BRP one for my 2011 RS. I had to purchase a holder for my GPS and the connection between the 2 parts, but minimal cost.

There is no drilling involved, just tightens down with 2 screws..I like it... works for me

Spyder Garage

Default here is mine

This is what I did. I bought all the Ram mount parts, GPS holder specific for my GPS and hard wire in power cable form gpscity for about 65 bucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Wow, thanks to all for populating the thread with picks!

AZ Desert Spyder, that's where I thought I'd have to put my mount-- that's the same gap I was talking about.

I like Pincushion's mount, I didn't know there was a RAM one that fit the *silver* part of the stock handlebar console. The one on my left side is where I now have my drink holder clamped, but the GPS would fit nicely on the right side as well.

But Riker's setup... I think I like that one the best. The GPS seems to block off a bit of the analog speedo, but since the only time I ever look at the analog is when I want to laugh in scorn over why BRP thought to put a 200 mph analog speedo on the Spyder , that's not a big deal.

Decisions, decisions!

[For the record, for future searches by future curious Spyderlovers: Global Positioning System official mount]

[Oh, and I just found this other thread, too: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-BRP-gps-mount]

Spyder Garage

Good luck Daveinva. And by the way, if you switch your speedometer over to KPH and wind out the Spyder, I think you'll see why they had to go to 200.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Desert Spyder View Post
    Good luck Daveinva. And by the way, if you switch your speedometer over to KPH and wind out the Spyder, I think you'll see why they had to go to 200.
    Ha! Indeed. I'm an American, I try to stay away from all that funny furren metric stuff

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

I have the Techmount on my RT. Purchased on eBay for around 60-70 bucks if I recall. It uses two of the handlebar bolts and I would think it would fit the RS. Pics here:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-SteveMac-Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    I have the Techmount on my RT. Purchased on eBay for around 60-70 bucks if I recall. It uses two of the handlebar bolts and I would think it would fit the RS. Pics here:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-SteveMac-Mods
    Thanks Steve... lemme just say, that Corbin looks *awesome* on your ride.

Spyder Garage

ramb108b.jpg

This is the mount that I use, placed on the left bar adjacent to the clutch reservoir. It's a RAM mount, model RAM-B-108BU, about $16 through gpscity.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Thanks Steve... lemme just say, that Corbin looks *awesome* on your ride.
    Thanks Dave!

Spyder Garage

I wont post pictures as I have the same setup as Pincushion's pictures above. Mine's on the right side as i have the manual shift. Standard length arm on the ball laying over to the left from the ball and then the bracket for my Garmin 276c. Almost went with the shorter arm but this one works out just fine. No mirror blocking or anything like that. About $50 in parts from Mount Depot.
    David Horn, Kerrville, TX
    Fulltime RVer
    2014 Phaeton 40ft motorhome w/TandemTow trailer
    2014 Mazda CX5 (Soul Red)
    Ringo, the travelin' canine (just black and tan)

Spyder Garage

Here's the one I installed yesterday:

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-u-c...inch-ball.html

This puts the gps front and center just above the dash. I have it placed under and over the windshield mount tray. This works on a GS/RS. I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Spyder Garage

I added the brp mount this year. Along with the clutch reservoir mount I've had the last couple of years. Yes BRP cost is high, and it does include the wiring for power outlet. No holes to drill and it works nice.
    Very Happy Owner

chickridin

Quote Originally Posted by Pincushion View Post
    Thank you so much for the pics! I think you've ended my search!