Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy Where have all the dealers gone?!

This is NOT good news...had to take my Spyder into Lafayette, to have the DPS recall done, last week. (Froze my butt off, but lived...) Picked up "Yeller" today...but disturbed by my chat with our dealer mechanic...a great guy, and sharp on Spyders. Told me about Indiana dealers dropping, or being dropped by Bombardier...Indy, Kokomo...others...

Now sez...there's a question whether Action Motorsports will keep their Bombardier franchise as well. Ya know...I hate to say it...but if that happens, my credit union gets "Yeller" back. I'm not keen about riding a "orphaned" brand.
    Happy SE5 Owner

Spyder Garage

Wink

This seems to happen as a Brand finds it's footing. I suspect this Can AM experience will be a lot like Harley Davidson has been... First a lot of dealerships, then very few, to just the right amount.

Or this is an wakening that BRP needs and was unprepared for. Causing a needed change in there "Beliefs" on how to help their dealerships flourish.

Let's not forget that we are in one of the worst global economies in our generation right now. So a good chunk of those loosing the Can Am brand very well could be a micro desision for the dealer themselves in an attempt to survive. Not to mention "Downsizing" and selling to a "Specialized (Targeted)" audience is more of the type of business folks are going back to. Instead of a crock-pot of offerings causing unknown or out of control costs that effect the bottom line.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
    This is NOT good news...had to take my Spyder into Lafayette, to have the DPS recall done, last week. (Froze my butt off, but lived...) Picked up "Yeller" today...but disturbed by my chat with our dealer mechanic...a great guy, and sharp on Spyders. Told me about Indiana dealers dropping, or being dropped by Bombardier...Indy, Kokomo...others...

Now sez...there's a question whether Action Motorsports will keep their Bombardier franchise as well. Ya know...I hate to say it...but if that happens, my credit union gets "Yeller" back. I'm not keen about riding a "orphaned" brand.

Kinda sux for those of us who outright own our bikes! At least you had the DPS recall done. I need that done along with a new trailer lock to be properly installed (which then requires a whole new ignition harness and trunk locks for single key operation). Don't think I will be driving in the cold all the way there (1hr) to have it done when I am not riding it not to mention having to leave it there while the work is being done.
    Last edited by SpyderFun; 01-05-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post
    Kinda sux for those of us who outright own our bikes! At least you had the DPS recall done. I need that done along with a new trailer lock to be properly installed (which then requires a whole new ignition harness and trunk locks for single key operation). Don't think I will be driving in the cold all the way there (1hr) to have it done when I am not riding it not to mention having to leave it there while the work is being done.
    Agreed. We own ours (Not a fan of financing "Toys") and the closest dealer to us is Clem's and they are 45 minutes from us if no traffic or school buses are around. Thank goodness they rock. Otherwise it is an hour and 5 minutes or so (Not to mention a ferry ride) to get to the next closest dealer... I do think it is growing pains though. I hope to see more dealers not less!
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 01-05-2011 at 11:25 PM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

The combination of BRP requiring so much stock at dealers, and the finance companies wanting payments from the dealers on unsold stock, ain't helping anybody.
    Oh, yeah, the closest dealer I trust is between 3 and 4 hours from me.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    The combination of BRP requiring so much stock at dealers, and the finance companies wanting payments from the dealers on unsold stock, ain't helping anybody.
    Oh, yeah, the closest dealer I trust is between 3 and 4 hours from me.

john

3-4 hours away!?? Dang John that makes for a VERY, VERY long day! Not to mention additional costs of lodging if you want to wait for it!

BRP needs to re-think is business strategy because if there isn't a dealer close by to perform regular & warranty maintenance, WHY would anyone purchase such a costly machine?

Bad business decisions @ BRP will kill this market for them!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

3-4 hours away!?? Dang John that makes for a VERY, VERY long day! Not to mention additional costs of lodging if you want to wait for it!

BRP needs to re-think is business strategy because if there isn't a dealer close by to perform regular & warranty maintenance, WHY would anyone purchase such a costly machine?

Bad business decisions @ BRP will kill this market for them!!!
    It all depends on how much you want to ride a particular brand. I rode BMW's for 35 years and the closest dealer was 170 miles away until it closed, now the closest dealer is 230 miles away. I know many others near me who still ride BMW's and, in fact, I still have a 1975 R90/6 in the garage. You learn to do your own maintenance, which riding friends are better mechanics than yourself, where you can depend on mail order parts, and you become good friends with the local UPS and Fed Ex delivery people. It's possible but it's still a pain.

I'm fortunate that my Can-Am dealer is only 40 miles away and they are very easy to deal with. I agree that BRP needs to do all they can to make sure that good dealers are supported and encouraged to continue to handle the brand. Though I hadn't traded with them, I was very sorry to hear that the dealer in Amarillo, Texas recently dropped Can-Am products. From all indications they were an excellent dealer but just weren't able to sell enough Spyders.

Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    It all depends on how much you want to ride a particular brand. I rode BMW's for 35 years and the closest dealer was 170 miles away until it closed, now the closest dealer is 230 miles away. I know many others near me who still ride BMW's and, in fact, I still have a 1975 R90/6 in the garage. You learn to do your own maintenance, which riding friends are better mechanics than yourself, where you can depend on mail order parts, and you become good friends with the local UPS and Fed Ex delivery people. It's possible but it's still a pain.

I'm fortunate that my Can-Am dealer is only 40 miles away and they are very easy to deal with. I agree that BRP needs to do all they can to make sure that good dealers are supported and encouraged to continue to handle the brand. Though I hadn't traded with them, I was very sorry to hear that the dealer in Amarillo, Texas recently dropped Can-Am products. From all indications they were an excellent dealer but just weren't able to sell enough Spyders.

Cotton
    One of the BIG differences between then and now is the electronics involved. You need to have to the proper diagnostic equipment(read BUDS) to solve many of the issues that now occur.
    In many cases, it's not the number of spyders the dealers are forced to carry but the number of other BRP products that the dealers may not have a market for in their particular area, that puts the dealers into an untenable position.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Action Motorsports-Lafayette

I called their service department today to let them know I had a problem with my DPS replacement they did and their Service Manager, Ron is no longer with them. Talked to a new guy named Mike who said he was a service writer.
    The saga continues...................
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    I called their service department today to let them know I had a problem with my DPS replacement they did and their Service Manager, Ron is no longer with them. Talked to a new guy named Mike who said he was a service writer.
    The saga continues...................
    Mike called me today as well. I have to have the DPS replaced as well as new trunk locks and ignition harness due to the trailer lock being faulty. But I am holding off until spring to do it....too cold & too icy to be out riding!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike called me today as well. I have to have the DPS replaced as well as new trunk locks and ignition harness due to the trailer lock being faulty. But I am holding off until spring to do it....too cold & too icy to be out riding!
    Might be a wise move. The tech that works on the spyder is still there but the computer work was done by the old service manager. I don't think Mike is familiar with BUDS yet.
    I am going to take mine back up there as soon as we get some decent weather but I will be taking it on a trailer.
    I'll let you know the results. If you then want to take yours up, we can use my trailer if it's too cold.
    Love my

Spyder Garage

Might be a wise move. The tech that works on the spyder is still there but the computer work was done by the old service manager. I don't think Mike is familiar with BUDS yet.
    I am going to take mine back up there as soon as we get some decent weather but I will be taking it on a trailer.
    I'll let you know the results. If you then want to take yours up, we can use my trailer if it's too cold.
    Thnx for the offer of the trailer but is it big enough for the trailer to be hauled as well? I guess worse case scenario I would have to have my girlfriend follow me there and then drive me home. Only problem is she likes to ride as well!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thnx for the offer of the trailer but is it big enough for the trailer to be hauled as well? I guess worse case scenario I would have to have my girlfriend follow me there and then drive me home. Only problem is she likes to ride as well!
    The trailer is big enough for only one spyder at a time. I am offering it if you want to take your spyder up before it is warm enough to ride and/or you want to leave it to have the additional work done.
    Love my

Spyder Garage

The trailer is big enough for only one spyder at a time. I am offering it if you want to take your spyder up before it is warm enough to ride and/or you want to leave it to have the additional work done.

Thanks again for the use of your trailer!
    I am hopeful that they get all the parts in to do all the required maintenance on it in one visit. We will have to go riding together when the weather becomes a bit more "comfortable" seeing how I spend a lot of time in Fishers and you're just up the road a bit from there!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks again for the use of your trailer!
    I am hopeful that they get all the parts in to do all the required maintenance on it in one visit. We will have to go riding together when the weather becomes a bit more "comfortable" seeing how I spend a lot of time in Fishers and you're just up the road a bit from there!
    Lets do it.
    Love my

Spyder Garage

I got a call from Mike at Action MS in Lafayette a couple of weeks ago to schedule an appt. for my DPS recall. I asked him to verify that the unit was on hand and he said that it wasn't yet. I don't understand why he would call if the DPS isn't available yet. I guess I should call them back and verify if it is or is not there yet. I understand that there are several sensors that must be recalibrated when the new unit is installed. I wonder if they have the expertise there yet to do this right? I might hit you up Dick for the use your trailer if my has to go in in this kind of weather. If I'm not convinced Action can do this right, I might consider going to RT Sales in Zulu.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by funon3 View Post
    I got a call from Mike at Action MS in Lafayette a couple of weeks ago to schedule an appt. for my DPS recall. I asked him to verify that the unit was on hand and he said that it wasn't yet. I don't understand why he would call if the DPS isn't available yet. I guess I should call them back and verify if it is or is not there yet. I understand that there are several sensors that must be recalibrated when the new unit is installed. I wonder if they have the expertise there yet to do this right? I might hit you up Dick for the use your trailer if my has to go in in this kind of weather. If I'm not convinced Action can do this right, I might consider going to RT Sales in Zulu.
    Tom, I think they do have the units in stock now. The tech that does the install has done several according to him. The old service manager did the BUDS calibration and didn't do mine right(I hope that what it is) and the new guy didn't seem familiar with the procedure when I talked to him on the phone. Maybe by now. I'm taking mine back up there as soon as the weather warms a bit and the streets are clear. I want to ride it while Im there to make sure it's done right this time.
    You are welcome to the trailer any time.
    Love my

Spyder Garage

Tom, I think they do have the units in stock now. The tech that does the install has done several according to him. The old service manager did the BUDS calibration and didn't do mine right(I hope that what it is) and the new guy didn't seem familiar with the procedure when I talked to him on the phone. Maybe by now. I'm taking mine back up there as soon as the weather warms a bit and the streets are clear. I want to ride it while Im there to make sure it's done right this time.
    You are welcome to the trailer any time.
    Tell your tech that if all else fails...read the instructions! BRP has provided a detailed, step-by-step set of instructions for this installation. It needs to be followed carefully and exactly. Should be available in written format, and also possibly on WebBoss.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

It sounds like I have the opposite problem. I have a dealer almost in my back yard, RXX777 and I have been on the list too get out DPS recall done since October 2010, they keep telling us they can't get the parts to do it....Hope nothing happens to either of us.

Spyder Garage

I will be calling Action MS tomorrow to check if the DPS is in stock now. If so, Dick, I may wait until you get yours back to them to fix your problem and see if they can do it right this time before I schedule an appt. for my replacement.