Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Wheely? I think someone needs to do it

Just wondering.. (hehehe)

Do you think if I pull the sensors off the 3 wheels and stiff'n up the front shocks its possible to do a wheely on the Spyder. I'm not saying I want to do one.. (hehe) just wondering if you guys think it's possible.

I'm guessing if you stand up a bit and pull hard on the bars it has to be somewhat possible to lift the front wheels off the ground. Just wonder if it would bottom out when it lands or break the control arms or something.

We need someone on this forum to take up the challenge. Lamonster?
    hehe

Spyder Garage

I think they would be to front heavy but do not try it without a video camera running, lol.

States We Have Been To On Our Spyder

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motavar View Post
    Just wondering.. (hehehe)

Do you think if I pull the sensors off the 3 wheels and stiff'n up the front shocks its possible to do a wheely on the Spyder. I'm not saying I want to do one.. (hehe) just wondering if you guys think it's possible.

I'm guessing if you stand up a bit and pull hard on the bars it has to be somewhat possible to lift the front wheels off the ground. Just wonder if it would bottom out when it lands or break the control arms or something.

We need someone on this forum to take up the challenge. Lamonster?
    hehe

put it in reverse and hit it... let me know if it works... and like mentioned above... HAVE VIDEO RUNNING....
    The only good view of a thunderstorm is in your rearview mirror.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    The system doesn't allow drive wheel slip in reverse.......it justs cuts engine power
    shhhhhhhh... (thus the video)
    The only good view of a thunderstorm is in your rearview mirror.

Spyder Garage

I actually did it, but it was totally by accident! I don't think I could do this again if I tried. I was trying to make a fast move in slow traffic and the only way to get to the small hole I was aiming for was to pull a holeshot launch.

This had to be a total fluke; I think that everything just happened in proper sequence and when I launched the 2 fronts actually got a few inches of air! That was all and she dropped immediately (no bottoming out), but I did get 2 up! Now I don't know if that actually constitutes a wheelie, but 2 fronts were off the ground!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

I'm guessing the camera has to be mounted on the back wheel / frame area so it catches the fronts leaving the ground.

I'm not sure the wife will let me use her HD camcorder. I may have to get a cheapy USB camera at bestbuy or something for this.

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure the wife will let me use her HD camcorder. I may have to get a cheapy USB camera at bestbuy or something for this.
    Then don't tell her. This is important and honorable. It's for Spyerdom!
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

I think the key to pulling this off is to put the wife on the back of the spyder to offset the center of gravity.

"Hey honey, we're going for a nice trip around the block. Just hold on TIGHT.. trust me"

Spyder Garage

I think the key to pulling this off is to put the wife on the back of the spyder to offset the center of gravity.

"Hey honey, we're going for a nice trip around the block. Just hold on TIGHT.. trust me"

Spyder Garage

I was only able to get both front wheels off the ground one time, and that was very short lived and like Raptor said they did not come up much more than a couple of inches. I was hoping that when I put the BFG g-Force Sport tire on the rear it would be sticky enough for a wheelie, but still no luck. The one thing I haven't tried yet is to have a semi heavy passenger on the Spyder at the same time to attempt to counterbalance the weight of the front end. Not sure if it would make a difference or not, but would be willing to test it out at Spyderfest if there are any volunteers. One thing for sure is I have no trouble whatsoever smoking the fire out of my rear wheel on take offs without the benefit of a clutch to dump.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

I'm sure it could feel like both came up--- but it would be hard for the rider to see both off the ground in such a short amount of time.

Anyone live close to the mythbusters---

Sorry guys--- I ain't buying it until I see a video

Easy to lift one or the other on a tight turn though.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I'm sure it could feel like both came up--- but it would be hard for the rider to see both off the ground in such a short amount of time.

I only saw the left wheel come off the ground, my wife was next to me and told me the right wheel left the ground as well. As you stated, it is very easy to get one off the ground in a tight turn, but this was a straight hole shot. She was egging me on for a performance test.

I will be more than happy to play Mythbusters at Spyderfest, and try all kinds of different things to see if we can make it happen and get it on video.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Wolfen! I know. Those SE5 trannies get it. The RS-S rocks man! But we baby that one so I end up beatin' on 14 pretty good!! In my case I was not perfectly straight when I launched so I felt a slight torquing of the chassis and a short time later (very short!) I felt the both wheels touch the ground again. It was wild because I was in tight quarters! But it was cool.

I have a feeling that Spyderfest just got a tad more interesting!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Wolfen! I know. Those SE5 trannies get it. The RS-S rocks man! But we baby that one so I end up beatin' on 14 pretty good!! In my case I was not perfectly straight when I launched so I felt a slight torquing of the chassis and a short time later (very short!) I felt the both wheels touch the ground again. It was wild because I was in tight quarters! But it was cool.

I have a feeling that Spyderfest just got a tad more interesting!
    Mine had a very strange wiggle when it touched back down that I hadn't felt before or sense. It was about 100 degrees on that day as well as I recall. Perhaps if I was to heat the back tire enough, I know bleach works well for this, I could reproduce it. It will definitely be interesting to do some testing, plus we will have Cowtown right there in case, heaven forbid, we break something.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The very first time my lovely bride rode on the back of my '84 Nighthawk I pulled away from the light a bit too fast.

Yep.

Wheelie all the way down the block. The kids waiting at the bus stop were cheering. The lovely bride was unimpressed.

"Accident." I said. "I wasn't used to the amount of weight on the ba---um...uh oh."

Maybe that's why she "let me" buy a Spyder...with a backrest.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This may be one time when the Tri-Glide gets a leg (Or two Wheels!) up on the Spyder... They've got the traction, the bottom-end torque and a much ebtter weight distribution for just these sort of expermients... I had the front wnd climbing during a 3rd gear roll-on with one, but backed off since it wasn't my bike...
    They Spyder will be hung by the front-end weight and lack of torque and traction for any decent wheelies...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This may be one time when the Tri-Glide gets a leg (Or two Wheels!) up on the Spyder... They've got the traction, the bottom-end torque and a much ebtter weight distribution for just these sort of expermients... I had the front wnd climbing during a 3rd gear roll-on with one, but backed off since it wasn't my bike...
    They Spyder will be hung by the front-end weight and lack of torque and traction for any decent wheelies...
    Are you going to bring that 4 wheeler to Spyderfest?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

How old are you guys? I've suspected for some time that you are all just a bunch of crazy old F--ts with too cool toys. God, your shrinks and I love ya all.

John,
    Seal FloorBoards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    How old are you guys? I've suspected for some time that you are all just a bunch of crazy old F--ts with too cool toys. God, your shrinks and I love ya all.

John,
    Seal FloorBoards
    I think I am now up to 44 and will be turning 24 this year. It is not my fault, you can blame it on my Spyder.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

Show me the video Please because I,m Not a Believer???

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Forrest, did you lift your front wheels in the ditch jump? 3 wheels maybe? Would that count?

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Show me the video Please because I,m Not a Believer???
    I would have to agree with this, I have had people ask me about their wheelie on their M109 and when them it was just suspension lift they got all sorts of pissed about this.

I had that guy that had the power comander tell me that he had done one on here too, I would throw some money to you at spyderfest if ya get a video of both fronts up at the same time wheelie style, as spyderwolf said you would need a really grippie rear and weight on the back.
    I mean with a bump in the tar off a hill I have got the spyder ALL tires off the ground but I don't consider that a wheelie, and with no working legs for shocks it was a rough landing but still the cops I work with heard it and laughed about it .
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The guy with powercommander here^^
    You all know how easily ONE of front wheels gets lifted without evo bar(made me wonder why it was so hard on that test by goldwing group), but it was that one time that I really felt both of my front wheels were off the ground. I was not able to duplicate that ever again but both wheels were off the ground and came back down. I am sure it was not much off the ground so it should not count as a wheelie thou.
    I am curious that spyders with more power were not able to, granted that they upgraded Rear suspension also. I could not keep what I had on to the pavement so I am sure there were some traction problems.
    Last edited by aka1004; 01-02-2011 at 06:49 PM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    I am sure it was not much off the ground so it should not count as a wheelie thou.
    That is a very good point as well, as I know mine were not off the ground by very much at all. It was nothing like pulling a hard turn and having the wheel come off the ground a good 4 inches or more.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't know if this counts as a wheelie, But a year or so ago i nailed a full recap at 65/70 MPH, it went under dead center.
    Both front wheels came off the ground the only damage was a cracked air dam.
    As they say in Brooklyn It could have been Worst'er.