Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

55w 6ks with that blue tint is going to be sick looking on your spyder man.
    You definately have to take pics when you get that bad boy set up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaBusses View Post
    I can't see where a melt down is likely. I just sold my Harley V Rod that I modded with 55W 6K HID's. (DDM Tuning w/lifetime warranty and less than $50 for the whole setup) The V-Rod uses two lamps in one headlight enclosure. I didn't notice any additional heat over stock halogen lamps. And on top of that, I actually wired the lights so both Hi/Lo beams where lit when Hi beam was selected. Awesome amount of light on Hi beam at night, very visable and safe during the day. I have actually had more cagers, flash my stock RT-S lights at night than I did on the Harley.
    My RT-S has the shades for low beam and projector looking lenses and I'm not sure how the HID's would perform. But as you say, for the low cost, I made just go ahead and order them.
    Sorry for the long novel.
    Thanks for that additional info as well. The link I posted somewhere above has the RT with 100 watt HID installed in a video.

A Guinea Pig, is a Guinea Pig. I will let my order stand and test the results once I get everything installed. If there is something I don't like, or the few cars I do see on the road are constantly flashing me, then we can start a whole new discussion on that.

I was able to get everything I mentioned for $125, as the slim ballasts were more expensive, the 55 watt bulbs cost more, and the 3,000K bulbs cost a little more as well.
    Last edited by SpyderWolf; 01-02-2011 at 07:42 PM.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motavar View Post
    The bulbs were cheap enough that I purchased a set of 3k fogs to test out and ran them for awhile. Unfortunately with the side markers being orange, the fogs being yellow and the headlights being white it didn't look right on MY spyder. On yours I think it will make a good combo because of your color scheme/graphix package.

I was going with yellows so other drivers would notice me more but it seems like the yellows were not standing out much during the day. I switched back to 5ks in the fogs and put white leds in the side markers to match them all up.

The Yellows were definately cool to see in action.
    55w 6ks with that blue tint is going to be sick looking on your spyder man.
    You definately have to take pics when you get that bad boy set up!
    Thanks, I will definitely take pics and a video of before and after. I also chose the yellow because I figured they are the real fog light color, and would go good with my Spyder lighting. The amber fog light rings should work well with them, at least I am hoping.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes the 6000k up and down looked really good
    And 55w hid should be just matter being brighter and not being a more burden on spyders electrical system.
    Last edited by aka1004; 01-02-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

I'm sure aka1004, wolf, and others already know but I'll throw this out there:

Over time the HIDs will slightly change color to a higher color spectrum (K value). Did you ever notice that some older BMWs or Acuras have a blue'er or purple color headlights from when they first came out? After a few years the color shifts a bit.

You may see people on the road with one white light and one blue/purple light because they may have replaced one bulb and the new bulb doesn't match the color shifted bulb. Phillips offers a 5k+ D2S replacement bulb to help match aged bulbs in cars and they offer a stock 4300 bulb. A lot of people don't know this when replacing bulbs and end up with the 4300 which looks a lot different from the other bulb that has been in there awhile.

Just throwing this out there for additional reference:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    When installing the HID bulb the bar should face down.
    Unfortunately because the way some bulbs are made you are stuck with the bar being up. The HID will still fire okay but you may be subject to a shadow being cast out in the light ahead of you.

You see this more often in cars that have reflector headlights instead of ones with a lens.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyderwolf

Here's the ones I purchased from esi; they are 35W, 8000K, white:

http://www.dhgate.com/h7-8000k-3800-...p%20h7%208000k

The price I paid doesn't bother me. I was wondering if there was a difference and Justin answered that.

Spyder Garage

I'm sure aka1004, wolf, and others already know but I'll throw this out there:

Over time the HIDs will slightly change color to a higher color spectrum (K value). Did you ever notice that some older BMWs or Acuras have a blue'er or purple color headlights from when they first came out? After a few years the color shifts a bit.

You may see people on the road with one white light and one blue/purple light because they may have replaced one bulb and the new bulb doesn't match the color shifted bulb. Phillips offers a 5k+ D2S replacement bulb to help match aged bulbs in cars and they offer a stock 4300 bulb. A lot of people don't know this when replacing bulbs and end up with the 4300 which looks a lot different from the other bulb that has been in there awhile.

Just throwing this out there for additional reference:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    When installing the HID bulb the bar should face down.
    Unfortunately because the way some bulbs are made you are stuck with the bar being up. The HID will still fire okay but you may be subject to a shadow being cast out in the light ahead of you.

You see this more often in cars that have reflector headlights instead of ones with a lens.
    This is all new to me, so thanks for the additional information as well as the installation tips.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post

The price I paid doesn't bother me. I was wondering if there was a difference and Justin answered that.
    Thanks for the link Wyliec, but I already pulled the trigger using another site.

The important thing is that you sound like you are happy with what you got, and they work for you.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

As long as they work. It seems to be hit and miss with HID's. You would notice some difference going to 5000k or 4300k. I personally don't care for the 8000k. They look good but the lower k's perform better.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I run the 3000k fogs in one of my Phantoms.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    Since one can never have too muck knowledge here is another link to some HID information.

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/appea...you-buy-94774/

Are you on that forum?

Spyder Garage

Lately I have been having some weird VSS issues, high RPMs on start, and failure to starts. Finally figured it out and as it turns out... it matches exactly what Leo was explaining on another thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...558#post275558

When my HID fogs are on and I attempt to start the spyder I get warning lights like crazy.

I definately confirmed today that the HIDs using the stock fog wiring causes an issue with the VSS/computer. While driving I turned the fogs on and the computer freaked out and shutdown. (was fun going 75 in the middle lane of the 3 lane highway in rush hour. Luckily I was able to get to the side of the road in time).

So the firing of the HID on the fog wiring must dip the power just enough for the VSS to freak.

* I believe the solution is to get a HID relay harness. Off to ebay I go

Spyder Garage

Lately I have been having some weird VSS issues, high RPMs on start, and failure to starts. Finally figured it out and as it turns out... it matches exactly what Leo was explaining on another thread:

When my HID fogs are on and I attempt to start the spyder I get warning lights like crazy.

I definately confirmed today that the HIDs using the stock fog wiring causes an issue with the VSS/computer. While driving I turned the fogs on and the computer freaked out and shutdown. (was fun going 75 in the middle lane of the 3 lane highway in rush hour. Luckily I was able to get to the side of the road in time).

So the firing of the HID on the fog wiring must dip the power just enough for the VSS to freak.

Now you know why BRP specifies that you install a separate auxiliary harness when you run both HID headlights and their fog lights...and they haven't even ventured into HID fogs.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I run the 3000k fogs in one of my Phantoms.
    Thanks for the pictures Justin! I think the 3,000Ks will work very well on my Spyder after seeing these.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

The stock harness from BRP is supposed to be $99. I believe my Spyder already has this, as the dealer that did the foglight install said I had to have this add-on harness in order for them to work. Of course, I found out later that harness is only needed for the HID set up. So, I am hoping that since I already have it everything will be good to go.

Justin, have you had any problems running your fogs on HID?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Now you know why BRP specifies that you install a separate auxiliary harness when you run both HID headlights and their fog lights...and they haven't even ventured into HID fogs.
    On the BRP site the RS HID kit is now $899 and the RT is $1000. Did they pull these? Or are you speaking on just the fog and they are not offering both? Thanks Scotty...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Relay HID harness on ebay ranges from $7-$16

It's basically a 40 amp Relay, a few wires, and an inline 25 - 30 amp fuse.

When the lights kick on, it signals the 40amp relay to pull power directly from the battery instead of the fog light wires for power to fire the HID.

You can build your own harness but the ones off ebay are nice because they are plug-n-play. They have all the waterproof connectors for attaching to the lights/ballasts.

-Mot

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    On the BRP site the RS HID kit is now $899 and the RT is $1000. Did they pull these? Or are you speaking on just the fog and they are not offering both? Thanks Scotty...
    BRP only offers HID headlights, so far there has not been a fog light offering from them.

Relay HID harness on ebay ranges from $7-$16

It's basically a 40 amp Relay, a few wires, and an inline 25 - 30 amp fuse.

When the lights kick on, it signals the 40amp relay to pull power directly from the battery instead of the fog light wires for power to fire the HID.

You can build your own harness but the ones off ebay are nice because they are plug-n-play. They have all the waterproof connectors for attaching to the lights/ballasts.

-Mot
    I hope this works for you. Keep us posted on your progress.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Order placed.
    We will find out in 3-4 days (shipping time)

When all is said and done we can write a sticky on the mod forum for HID stuff.

Spyder Garage

for my lights to not cause any problems, I ended using different bulbs... and not letting the ballasts and wires not touch any part of the frame... too much electrical interference from the ballasts was my guess... but the Spyder works fine now... Good Luck!!!
    Kewlmetal Intake, NMN HID headlights, Scorpio Alarm, LED mud flaps, triple play, fender tips, LeoVince exhaust, Juice Box...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    The stock harness from BRP is supposed to be $99. I believe my Spyder already has this, as the dealer that did the foglight install said I had to have this add-on harness in order for them to work. Of course, I found out later that harness is only needed for the HID set up. So, I am hoping that since I already have it everything will be good to go.

Justin, have you had any problems running your fogs on HID?
    I've had no issues at all. I can start the bike with all on.

Spyder Garage

As long as they work. It seems to be hit and miss with HID's. You would notice some difference going to 5000k or 4300k. I personally don't care for the 8000k. They look good but the lower k's perform better.

Justin,

How do they perform better? Less problems? Last longer?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Justin,

How do they perform better? Less problems? Last longer?
    brighter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by leo76dragon View Post
    for my lights to not cause any problems, I ended using different bulbs... and not letting the ballasts and wires not touch any part of the frame... too much electrical interference from the ballasts was my guess... but the Spyder works fine now... Good Luck!!!
    Thanks for the update Leo.

I've had no issues at all. I can start the bike with all on.
    Thanks for the additional info Justin. I appreciate it as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Okay wolf check this one out..

So I ordered a few replacement relays the other day that just happened to show up today.

My main relay #1 on the 09 GS was a 30/20. I popped in a 50/30 and my startup issues and VSS issues completely went away. I went out in the cold frozen grass in my front yard and spun the byke around like you wouldn't believe popping the vss light up the wazzoo and instead of the spyder shutting down it was fine.

So my question is.. on the 09's up: should the main relay be a 30/20, 35/20, or a 50/30?

I went over the relay thread on here but **** just confused me more.

Update: 9:00 pm est:
    I put the 35/20a in and was able to get a VSS fault when starting. The 50/30 still no issues.
    I'm guessing it's safe to keep the 50 in there as the whole circuit should be protected by the fuse in the back box. I will still assume this issue will go away when I put the HID relay harness into play.

...but..this makes me wonder if the stock relay is too low for continuous VSS detection. For example: I know once before when I went through 6 inches of snow in my driveway to get into my garage the VSS kicked in like crazy and shut the whole spyder down. Now I'm wondering if the relay just can't handle the switching required during long periods of VSS. Could the higher relay be more reliable under continuous load over the smaller 30amp one and be a better choice?
    Last edited by Motavar; 01-04-2011 at 09:13 PM.