Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 09 RS - HID question answered

NOTE:
    This thread is for the Spyder RS/GS.
    The Spyder RT may have different bulb sizes so use caution.

HIDS:
    For those that do not know HIDs are "High-intensity discharge lamps". Those white/blue looking lights you see on most luxury vehicles on the road. The new generation of HIDs are 35w and powered by digital ballasts or slim-line digital ballasts. The RS was basically made for HIDs due to the lens and the high-beam shutter mechanism.

Most cars use HID colors that are 4100-4300K (k=kelvin color range). If you want to match the colors seen on an Acura/BMW/Mercedes etc you can go with 5K bulbs which are a crisp white color. 6k's get into a more blueish tint which starts to reduce visibility.

HID color chart:
    3000k is yellow (use these for fogs)
    4100-4300 looks like a normal car light bulb (best visibility)
    5k = is white (what you see on most luxury cars)
    6k = is blueish (visibility starts to drop. May be illegal in some states)
    8k+ anything above this starts to go purple/pink/ etc..

Cost / Where to Purchase:
    You can pick up HIDs for about $35-43 on ebay from different vendors.
    You can also pick up HID kits from various vendors on this forum.

For example I went with this guy (not affiliated with him) on ebay who sold xentec kits.
    http://myworld.ebay.com/orangemika/

I went with the slim digital ballasts. The ballasts are a few $ more but smaller in size which makes for mounting on the RS easier.

Here is the actual auction I used.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270448157771&ssPageNam e=ADME:X:eRTM:US:1123

How To Order:
    When you order HIDs on ebay you can ask for for any size bulb and color.

When I did my order I told the vendor I have an 09 BRP can-am spyder.
    My main headlights are H7's
    Fog lights are H8's

Here is what I put into my notes when ordering:
    Can you please change order and update price for the following items:
    (1) Slim HID kit for Bulb: H7 Color: 5000k : 12 volt
    +
    (1) Slim HID kit for Bulb H8 color: 5000k , 12 volt

UPDATE: 1/29/11
    You can read through this thread or here is a quick summary:

* Warning: Replacing your headlights with HIDs will take some time.
    You will need to study the spyder to figure out how to remove the top to access the headlights.
    THIS IS NOT A RUSH JOB. Make sure you allocate a few hours to do this right.
    You will need to be creative on how to mount the HID ballasts to the frame.

* When installing HIDs in your headlights be careful of the metal bracket and study it a bit to figure out how to attach the light to it.

* The bar that is on the actual light should be facing down. The light will still work correctly no matter what direction the bar is facing but it may cast a shadow if the bar is facing up.

* Never touch your HID light bulbs. If you do make sure you clean them with alcohol to remove oils.

* Besides 35w kits.. 55w HIDs are also available from vendors and will produce as much light as your high beams. So far there have been no reports of heat or wiring issues with the 55w versions.

* If you run HID fog lights you may encounter VSS issues when you start the Spyder.
    You may encounter a VSS fault and engine shutoff if you power up the HIDs while driving.
    The cause could be the inital draw on the power system when the HID fires (20amp?) and poor relays/weak power source.

I would suggest the following if you run HID fog lights:
    - HID relay harness so the fog HIDs pull power directly from the battery.
    - Replace your stock relays.
    - Put a 470uf or 4700uf 35v capacitor on the power lead to the battery from the HID relay harness. This will buffer the initial power draw for the light when starting.

-Motavar
    Last edited by Motavar; 01-29-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have run these same HID'S for my head & fog lights on my 2008 P.E. since the beginning which will be 3 years in Feb. and I have had no problems what so ever.

Hope this helps,

Diggittt
    Full Moon #1176

Talon Alarm
    Trunk Spring
    Power Bus
    H.I.D. Headlights
    Kuryakyn ISO Grips
    NMN Highway Brackets
    Kuryakan Highway Pegs
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust
    BRP Sports Rack & Back Rest
    LED Fender Tips
    Ride-On
    BRP Tank Bag
    H.I.D. Fog Lights
    Sirius Satellite Radio
    GlowRyder L.E.D. W/Remote
    TricLed Fender Lights

Spyder Garage

I have a basic question about changing to HID. The stock headlights on the Spyder are 55 watt H7. Are you saying it is okay to replace them with 35 watt H7 HID and you still get the desired results, or did you get 55 watt HID?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

I used 35w HIDs which should be perfectly fine.
    The way you install them is you take the wires going to the stock headlights and connect them into the ballast. This is what tells the ballast to "fire" when the lights come on. The ballast then connects to the 35w HID bulb. You will have to cut a small hole in the rubber cover that goes over the stock headlight to allow the HID wires through.

It's a pita but I can take the top off the spyder and snap a few pictures if needed.

Basically the system sits in-line with the existing harness on the spyder. It will take some patience and time to do the whole setup but once you are done you shouldn't have to worry about changing the lights out on the spyder for 5-7 years.

It's worth the time to upgrade to HIDs for the amount of light they give off.

Spyder Garage

So, in your case you are saving 20 watts per bulb for a total power load of 40 watts less. Now I am wondering what the difference would have been if you went with 55 watt HID bulbs? Would they just burn brighter, in the same way a 75 watt light bulb in your house is brighter than a 40 watt?

The installation part doesn't really concern me that much. If you have seen my Spyder mods, you should know that lights and I get along really well together. Thanks for the offer of taking pictures though.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure they sell 55w HIDs any more unless you get the original BMW or Mercedes ones.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motavar View Post
    I'm not sure they sell 55w HIDs any more unless you get the original BMW or Mercedes ones.
    You can get them all the way up to 100 watts. They may cost a little more for the bulbs, but they are definitely available. I believe the bulbs that come in those wattages are German made for some reason.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Wink

If it helps... IMHO 55w HID's are just to bright and ask for folks to flash their high-beams at you a lot. They do me in our GT Mustang (Yes aimed properly and have the caps as well)...

I am running 35w and 55w and there is a huge difference in brightness. 55w are like running high-beams...

BTW... HID (Not being knowledgeable of actual numbers here) seems to be about 35% brighter than Halogen to me. So a 35w HID is a lot like a 55w Halogen for my eyes on the road...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    If it helps... IMHO 55w HID's are just to bright and ask for folks to flash their high-beams at you a lot. They do me in our GT Mustang (Yes aimed properly and have the caps as well)...

I am running 35w and 55w and there is a huge difference in brightness. 55w are like running high-beams...

BTW... HID (Not being knowledgeable of actual numbers here) seems to be about 35% brighter than Halogen to me. So a 35w HID is a lot like a 55w Halogen for my eyes on the road...
    In this thread there is a video clip of an RT with 100 watt HID bulbs installed on it. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24831

If you don't mind, how about taking a look at that and telling me how they compare to yours.

I spend most of my time ryding on country roads where there isn't all that much traffic, but still would not want to have everyone flashing their brights at me. My original line of thinking was that since the stock headlights were 55 watts they had to be replaced with the same wattage. Thanks to both of you for straightening that out for me.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

I'm not trying to instigate or create a debate; but, I have ESI's hids and am wondering the difference between those and what has been mentioned here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I'm not trying to instigate or create a debate; but, I have ESI's hids and am wondering the difference between those and what has been mentioned here.
    Fair question, and I do not know the answer to it myself. I do know that the ESI ones are guaranteed to work on the Spyder, and that they will stand behind them. I have no idea about any others.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Default HID lights

Another question; The HID lights recommended are a single (low beam) light. Has anyone tried the dual beam (hi and low beam)? I had my lights adjusted by the dealer and the low beam setting does not provide any distance pattern so I use high beams whenever possible then dip them when meeting others. The added fog lights work well with my high beams lighting up the road just in front and to the sides. When the low beams are on I really do not notice any additional light from the fog lights.
    Last edited by MMcc; 01-02-2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: poor wording

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post
    Another question; The HID lights recommended are a single (low beam) light. Has anyone tried the dual beam (hi and low beam)? I had my lights adjusted by the dealer and the low beam setting does not provide any distance pattern so I use high beams whenever possible then dip them when meeting others. The added fog lights work well with my high beams lighting up the road just in front and to the sides. When the low beams are on I really do not notice any additional light from the fog lights.
    I believe the spyder uses a shutter and the lights are not dual beam.

Spyder Garage

I believe the spyder uses a shutter and the lights are not dual beam.
    That is correct.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The difference is you paid too much.

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    In this thread there is a video clip of an RT with 100 watt HID bulbs installed on it. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24831

If you don't mind, how about taking a look at that and telling me how they compare to yours.

I spend most of my time ryding on country roads where there isn't all that much traffic, but still would not want to have everyone flashing their brights at me. My original line of thinking was that since the stock headlights were 55 watts they had to be replaced with the same wattage. Thanks to both of you for straightening that out for me.
    Happy to toss an opinion. Just bring a bag of salt with you as you decide how much it is worth ...

Anyway... Videos and real life never will be the same.

I grew up in the "Boonies" as a kid and needed all the light I could get. So I can relate to your need. The challenge with the bikes is the actual shutter. If you aim the lights to low I found the light goes over the top side and I start lighting up the trees and such.

Anyway. I would run the 55w units if I still lived in the "Boonies" but no chance in hockey sticks I would in a busy town. To many folks with night vision tenderness or cars low to the ground.

Keep in mind... In an auto with dual beams they either have two 35w bulbs per side and all four run with difference aiming settings when using hi-beam... Or they run one 35w and one 55w unit per side. So as I said before. IMHO I think the 35w HID is a lot like the 55W Halogen. For folks that go 55w HID they are running hi-beam power in low beam mode no matter what the shutter setting or aiming of the bulbs are, if I am correct in my thinking.

To give you a real world idea... My 35w units light up the street signs about 75 yards away (Reflective material on the state/federal signs) and the 55w units double that easily. Another way to say it... The 35w units are brighter than the factory lights because IMHO they give of more of a "Day light" type light and makes everything easier to see.

But the 55w units make a rainy night look like it is not raining. They are that bright.

BTW... If I ran 100W units I am pretty sure folks would chase me down to kick my *** in anger... After they could see again of course

I am no expert. I am only speaking from my personal experience. Realizing of course the more light we have for night and weather, the safer our ryde is on a bike. I absolutely love the 55w units, but respect the needs of my neighbors as well
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Found this on ebay (i have no idea if this is true but)

55watt HID kit has:
    (4200lm output! 30%-40% more than 35w HID system )

This makes me ask a new question..
    What is the heat difference between 35w HID and 55w. Wondering if a 55w HID would melt the housing or not.

I think I may have a new spring-time project coming up! To get me some 55watt H7 5k HIDs.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motavar View Post
    Found this on ebay (i have no idea if this is true but)

55watt HID kit has:
    (4200lm output! 30%-40% more than 35w HID system )

This makes me ask a new question..
    What is the heat difference between 35w HID and 55w. Wondering if a 55w HID would melt the housing or not.

I think I may have a new spring-time project coming up! To get me some 55watt H7 5k HIDs.
    i know on a few cars the 55w will melt the harness.

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    i know on a few cars the 55w will melt the harness.

It is not always the housing and lenses that is the issue, but the harness. Forgot all about that. Thank you for mentioning it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Reason people pay more for something is because it's proven as with esi hid. I had used few off brand hid and I know that some members here got the same units because of my review but if I get another spyder, it will most likely have hella hid. Not from dealer but a better priced one off of eBay.
    If it's not offered by brp, it plays a roll in spyder going into limp home mode or other problems. Hindle muffler is a odd ball on this, even thou it's sold by brp for spyder it's not something you should have on your spyder unless it's a stealth model? Idk..,
    Last edited by aka1004; 01-02-2011 at 07:21 PM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the opinions on this thread. I will be the guinea pig for you as I went ahead and placed an order for a couple of these kits. I ordered 55 watt H7 with 6,000K bulbs for the headlights, and figured I would give the 35 watt H8 with 3,000K bulbs a try in the fog lights. For some reason I really like the idea of the yellow looking fog lights. Hopefully I will not cause a meltdown on my Spyder, as that would truly suck. Before I install them I will make a video of what my stock lights look like, how much light they give off, and then show what the new ones look like.

Worst case scenario, if the bulbs don't look good, at these prices I can always switch them out. Wish me luck!.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Thanks for all of the opinions on this thread. I will be the guinea pig for you as I went ahead and placed an order for a couple of these kits. I ordered 55 watt H7 with 6,000K bulbs for the headlights, and figured I would give the 35 watt H8 with 3,000K bulbs a try in the fog lights. For some reason I really like the idea of the yellow looking fog lights. Hopefully I will not cause a meltdown on my Spyder, as that would truly suck. Before I install them I will make a video of what my stock lights look like, how much light they give off, and then show what the new ones look like.

Worst case scenario, if the bulbs don't look good, at these prices I can always switch them out. Wish me luck!.
    I think they will be too bright for everyday use. There is a good reason why most hid, cheap and expensive are 35w. On remote hwy, you can use your high beams.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

[/QUOTE]Worst case scenario, if the bulbs don't look good, at these prices I can always switch them out. Wish me luck!.
    I can't see where a melt down is likely. I just sold my Harley V Rod that I modded with 55W 6K HID's. (DDM Tuning w/lifetime warranty and less than $50 for the whole setup) The V-Rod uses two lamps in one headlight enclosure. I didn't notice any additional heat over stock halogen lamps. And on top of that, I actually wired the lights so both Hi/Lo beams where lit when Hi beam was selected. Awesome amount of light on Hi beam at night, very visable and safe during the day. I have actually had more cagers, flash my stock RT-S lights at night than I did on the Harley.
    My RT-S has the shades for low beam and projector looking lenses and I'm not sure how the HID's would perform. But as you say, for the low cost, I made just go ahead and order them.
    Sorry for the long novel.
    Last edited by SpyderDen; 01-02-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    I think they will be too bright for everyday use. There is a good reason why most hid, cheap and expensive are 35w. On remote hwy, you can use your high beams.
    Hmmm, I wonder if it is too late to change my order? Perhaps if I just went with the 35 watt 6,000K bulbs for each set life would be a whole lot simpler.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

The bulbs were cheap enough that I purchased a set of 3k fogs to test out and ran them for awhile. Unfortunately with the side markers being orange, the fogs being yellow and the headlights being white it didn't look right on MY spyder. On yours I think it will make a good combo because of your color scheme/graphix package.

I was going with yellows so other drivers would notice me more but it seems like the yellows were not standing out much during the day. I switched back to 5ks in the fogs and put white leds in the side markers to match them all up.

The Yellows were definately cool to see in action.