Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by reggystan View Post
    Very cool, awesome videos of comparison. Very nice
    Thanks! I like them a whole lot as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

I picked up my 4700uf 35v capacitors the other night. I'll do the install this weekend and take pictures. I'll post my findings to see if this solves the initial startup voltage issues for the HIDs.
    They were $5 each at Radio shack.

btw: great video wolf.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motavar View Post
    I picked up my 4700uf 35v capacitors the other night. I'll do the install this weekend and take pictures. I'll post my findings to see if this solves the initial startup voltage issues for the HIDs.
    They were $5 each at Radio shack.

btw: great video wolf.
    It will be interesting to see what results you get with those. As you could see in the video, I have no problem turning them on and off while the Spyder is warmed up and running, it is just the initial cold start that will sometimes cause a problem on mine. I have been able to start it with the fogs on without any problems a few times as well, but it is basically guaranteed they will work after the Spyder is running.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

I hooked up the 4700uf 35v Capacitor to the + positive wire that goes from the battery to HID relay. It sits right before the relay.
    Seems to have solved my problem.
    I can start the spyder now with the fogs on or off. I can turn the fogs on when the spyder is running.
    I can flash the fogs on/off like a gazzilion times without the spyder faulting now.

So looking at the relay the cap would attach to the main power wire and the neg side of the cap to the ground.
    Here is the layout

Closer shot as to how I'm going to attach the cap to the wires.
    Basically I will strip away some shielding on the cables and just wrap the leads from the cap to the wires and solder

Picture of the cap
    Last edited by Motavar; 01-28-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Remember though.. when I get ready to start my Spyder my stereo is running, my leds are on, the GPS kicks up, the headlight HIDs will fire, etc etc.. so I could be drawing more power than most people on start or when the spyder is running.

Maybe a need a marine deep cycle battery :P

Wolf,

Are you running stock battery or a replacement?
    BTW: I really like your yellow fogs with the yellow LEDs man. That matches perfect!
    Last edited by Motavar; 01-28-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Remember though.. when I get ready to start my Spyder my stereo is running, my leds are on, the GPS kicks up, the headlight HIDs will fire, etc etc.. so I could be drawing more power than most people on start or when the spyder is running.

Maybe a need a marine deep cycle battery :P

Wolf,

Are you running stock battery or a replacement?
    BTW: I really like your yellow fogs with the yellow LEDs man. That matches perfect!
    You have been like a mad scientist with this project, and I am glad that you finally got it sorted out. I don't have a stereo, so that is one less thing I need to worry about right now.

I still have the stock battery in there right now, but I do have a brand new Scorpion battery sitting here in my office. My plan is to place one of the batterys in the trunk, and then rewire my LED control box so I can quickly switch between what battery powers them. I figure if I run just them on the stand alone battery I should be able to get a good 6 hours of glow while at a show or something. I am also looking into Lithium Ion, as the new packs are much smaller and lighter than the normal motorcycle batteries. The Scorpion battery is rated quite a bit higher than the stock for Amp/Hrs and CCA, so I am thinking it might be best to use that one for my main starter battery, and relegate the stock one to LED duty. I can recharge the stock one with a battery tender as needed.

Thanks for the compliment on the yellow fogs and LEDs. I need to take the time to make another video now showing all of the lights working together for the total effect.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    You have been like a mad scientist with this project, and I am glad that you finally got it sorted out. I don't have a stereo, so that is one less thing I need to worry about right now.

I still have the stock battery in there right now, but I do have a brand new Scorpion battery sitting here in my office. My plan is to place one of the batterys in the trunk, and then rewire my LED control box so I can quickly switch between what battery powers them. I figure if I run just them on the stand alone battery I should be able to get a good 6 hours of glow while at a show or something. I am also looking into Lithium Ion, as the new packs are much smaller and lighter than the normal motorcycle batteries. The Scorpion battery is rated quite a bit higher than the stock for Amp/Hrs and CCA, so I am thinking it might be best to use that one for my main starter battery, and relegate the stock one to LED duty. I can recharge the stock one with a battery tender as needed.

Thanks for the compliment on the yellow fogs and LEDs. I need to take the time to make another video now showing all of the lights working together for the total effect.
    Why not use an isolator to prevent discharge of your starting battery, and wire the lights to the aux battery, like an RV trailer battery arrangement? The only problem I would see would be a need to ride longer to charge the main battery if you puilled the aux way down. The Battery Tender would take care of that, though. Of course you could incorprate solar panels into your Spyder just for fun.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Why not use an isolator to prevent discharge of your starting battery, and wire the lights to the aux battery, like an RV trailer battery arrangement? The only problem I would see would be a need to ride longer to charge the main battery if you puilled the aux way down. The Battery Tender would take care of that, though. Of course you could incorprate solar panels into your Spyder just for fun.
    Wow, you are starting to get good at mind reading now as well Scotty! I have actually been kicking around the idea of using an isolator, ever since a conversation with Lamont during Biketoberfest in Daytona. I have just been approaching this next phase very slowly, which is a bit unusual for me.

Funny thing is I have also been looking at solar panel chargers as well. We have a gate to our property that is powered by a marine battery, and is constantly charged by a small solar panel. I have been looking at various sizes and designs, and found some flexible ones that I think would be really cool to play with.

I would also like to come up with a better place to mount the auxiliary battery, besides taking up trunk space.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

I updated the first message on this thread with a quick recap of stuff so far. So people don't have to read the whole thread :P

I can see Wolf with a solar panel strapped to his back during the day trying to charge his aux battery. heheheh

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post

I would also like to come up with a better place to mount the auxiliary battery, besides taking up trunk space.

Spyder Garage

Wont that get a tad too hot and melt or is it shielded in a tray?

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post

Just an FYI... That is a fantastic idea... I have been "Lurking" around other sites trying to see if I can replace the Frunk hood with a set of panels that will produce enough power to run a GPS or other low wattage items... I am not crafty enough to start from scratch ...

Anyway... sorry for the hijack OP
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 01-29-2011 at 11:07 AM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Wont that get a tad too hot and melt or is it shielded in a tray?
    It got a tat hot/warm but never melted and seemed to work just fine. I'm not using it now in that location but it worked fine when I did. I had other issues that were causing my drain so I really don't need the extra battery now that it's fixed. I do plan on adding another battery on the RT in the left saddlebag for other reasons.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the picture Lamont. That could be just the ticket I am looking for.

As for the isolator, I am seeing a whole lot of options all based on various amp ratings. Since the magneto on the Spyder is rated at 500 watts, and the stock battery is rated at 21 amps, can I assume that a 70 amp isolator would be more than adequate? That is one of the lowest rated ones I have found so far.

Motavar, I was thinking more of putting the solar panel behind the windscreen, or on the seat while the Spyder is parked. I didn't have plans to wear it. Although Nelson-Rigg does have some bags with built in solar charging panels on them already.
    Last edited by SpyderWolf; 01-29-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Had magneto output in volts instead of watts.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Wink

I wonder if these will help with the HID issue? http://www.wolstentech.com/products/bixenon/bixenon.php
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    I wonder if these will help with the HID issue? http://www.wolstentech.com/products/bixenon/bixenon.php
    I believe the above link is only for cars that have solenoids that are integrated into the ballasts that power the shutter from low to high beam. If I understand what the link says, is that if you replace the stock ballast with aftermarket the solenoid isnt there or something so this replaces it? not sure.

I don't think it applies to the Spyder.

The spyder should be fine with a normal HID kit with a relay harness. Depending upon the initial power draw from different ballasts you may or may not need to compenstate for the initial power draw with a capacitor or a higher amp battery.

Edit: interesting find though on that solenoid though.

Spyder Garage

Wink

Gotcha

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Motavar- Did you ever end up relocating the hid ballasts? Where do you have them mounted currently? Is everything still working well after installing the resistors?

Thanks for all the great info!!

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WrapFactory View Post
    Motavar- Did you ever end up relocating the hid ballasts? Where do you have them mounted currently? Is everything still working well after installing the resistors?

I haven't seen him on here for a while now.

I did not use any resistors with my setup and have the headlight ballasts velcroed to the arch support behind the instrument cluster. My foglight ballasts are velcroed to the top sections above the radiator and oil cooler. The 55 watt ballasts I have did not melt any other wiring either.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default help needed please for capacitor

NOTE:
    This thread is for the Spyder RS/GS.

I would suggest the following if you run HID fog lights:
    - HID relay harness so the fog HIDs pull power directly from the battery.
    - Replace your stock relays.
    - Put a 470uf or 4700uf 35v capacitor on the power lead to the battery from the HID relay harness. This will buffer the initial power draw for the light when starting.

-Motavar
    whats the schema how do you conect the capacitor i have this problem and would like to use this method to fix thank you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WrapFactory View Post

Everything has been working great with the capacitor installed on the wire from the battery to the HID harness. Ballasts are just tie wrapped to the frame in different spots near the trunk.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SpyderWolf, any updates on the 55 vs 35w? Have you had any people flash you due to the 55w?

I am still trying to figure out if I want to order the 55w or just go with the 35w for my spyder.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Great thread, very helpful and has answered many questions I've had. 55 watters will be ordered shortly for my RT.
    My Heaps:

2010 Spyder RT-AC SE5

1987 BUICK Turbo T - TURBO SBC Project still in the works - (11.3 @ 121 without the turbo installed N/A)

RIP - 1982 OLDS CUTLASS 11.02 @ 129.2mph

Sold -- 1987 BUICK Turbo T W02 11.61 @ 118mph

Sold -- 2004 DODGE SRT-4 S2 13.0 @ 111.9 mph

"...there's two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will see 'em,
    but the only thing that matters is that little line between 'em..."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaQuest View Post
    SpyderWolf, any updates on the 55 vs 35w? Have you had any people flash you due to the 55w?

I am still trying to figure out if I want to order the 55w or just go with the 35w for my spyder.

Thanks
    They are working great for me so far, and I haven't really had anyone flash me yet that I can remember. I live out in the middle of the country and don't see a lot of traffic many times I ryde around here.

I like the 55 watts, but they may be overkill if you live in a more populated area than I do. The 35 watters would cut down on your overall power consumption.

The good news is even with all of the extra wiring I have done on my Spyder, the 55 watt A-Line slim ballasts have not gotten hot enough to melt anything.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!