Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question Riding Brake triggering Limp Mode?

Well, I finally decided to take the plunge and go for a 2010 RTS SE5. I went on another test ride and had a great time...until the last part of the ride. After some highway driving and a short section of slow curves we turned onto a road with a bit of traffic and frequent stoplights. While more or less coasting in 2nd gear between red lights, it went into limp mode. When I returned to the dealer, they checked the codes and said it was caused by low brake pressure. They discovered that it was a bit low on fluid, so they topped it off, cleared the codes and we gave it another try.

About a mile into the next ride, in stop and go traffic, I had another problem. This time the check engine light flashed red and it gave a warning to check the DPS. (Sorry, I don't remember the precise wording). We took it back to the shop and they eventually decided that it was caused by the previous warning codes not being properly cleared. As I prepared for a 3rd test ride, they brought it out and said the check engine light was still flashing. I finally gave up and went home.

Before I made it home they called to say everything was now working fine and they speculated that I may have caused the problem by riding the brake. I don't think I was, but I am completely new to this style of transportation (i.e. bike of any kind) so I suppose it's possible my foot was on it rather than near it or hovering over it.

If I did indeed ride the brake, could that trigger a limp mode and/or DPS warning?

To be honest, I'm kind of hoping it was my fault so that I can still feel comfortable buying one of these. It seems plausible that if the engine was having to fight a lightly applied brake, the sensors might trip an alarm. I do feel that my right foot was in a rather cramped position on the stock peg (I'm already considering something like the Seal FloorBoards) so maybe I unknowingly depressed the brake a bit when merely trying to cover it in slow traffic.

Note: The unit I tested was not the unit that I would be buying. If I go through with it they will be ordering me a new one via a dealer transfer. Thus, I'm more concerned about the reliability of the RTS SE5 in general and am not trying to buy the unit that experienced the problem.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Error code

Yes as to the brake error code being the brake... Ask me how I know ? ... I was not knowingly touching the brake pedel.

Go ride and have a GREAT NEW YEAR !

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just make sure Before u purchase your new RT find out the manufactered date and if it was built on a monday or a Friday don't buy. It may sound silly but I swear by the concept my 08 SE5 GS was built on a Tues and I have had almost no issues with it at all ( knock on wood) :-)) Good Luck and Welcome to the Spyder Riding Community

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Riding the brake, even ever so slightly, does cause limp mode. The warnings you get are not clear, as the action disables the VSS, which affects the DPS, etc. The codes should clear by themseves after the Spyder is turned off and the key is taken out of range, but it may take turning the key on and off several times to clear them and the resulting limp mode. Be assured that this is not a common problem, and once you train yourself to ride with your toe to the side of the pedal, it should not happen again. Easy to trigger if you try to cover the brake, however. I think it depends a bit on your previous riding style, if any. Riders of sport-touring bikes are used to a foot-back posture, and seem to have less trouble in this area.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Riding the brake, even ever so slightly, does cause limp mode. The warnings you get are not clear, as the action disables the VSS, which affects the DPS, etc. The codes should clear by themseves after the Spyder is turned off and the key is taken out of range, but it may take turning the key on and off several times to clear them and the resulting limp mode. Be assured that this is not a common problem, and once you train yourself to ride with your toe to the side of the pedal, it should not happen again. Easy to trigger if you try to cover the brake, however. I think it depends a bit on your previous riding style, if any. Riders of sport-touring bikes are used to a foot-back posture, and seem to have less trouble in this area.

This issue has been reported many times on here. When many people cover, or hover, their foot over the brake pedal they have a tendency to lightly touch it. You need to keep your foot away from the brake pedal unless you are ready to use it. As Scotty stated, I came from sport bikes so haven't had the problem myself, but have heard about many who have.

Best of luck with getting the Spyder you want. The more you ryde, the more you will get used to it, and the better everything will get.

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sounds like the coast is clear...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It sounds like the coast is clear...
    Now, thats a groaner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the same problem with my RT. Same advice. A BRP rep told how much pressure it took to do that and it was not much. I have about 20 K on Spyders, a 08 GS/RS and 2010 RT. Trouble free except for that. Toes out.

Good Luck and ride safe.

OldManZues

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that the failure was likely to have been caused by me rather than the vehicle. Looks like I may be able to proceed with the purchase after all.

Happy New Year!

Spyder Garage

Also happened to me once. I was wearing new boots and not paying attention to where my toes were. Also know one other rider who had the problem because the brake was partly engaged. .
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As the "Poster Child" for diabetic neuropathy; I've always got to be real careful about knowing where my feet are... (Can't feel 'em, but they've still got to be kept within spitting distance of the pedal...) Somewhere I had read about this happening, so I check my feet as much as I check my mirrors... (I walk into things a lot too! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that the failure was likely to have been caused by me rather than the vehicle. Looks like I may be able to proceed with the purchase after all.

Happy New Year!
    I'd suggest you take another test ride, to be sure. Pay close attention to your foot position during this one. It should answer the question for you, plus give you a clue as to how easy or difficult it will be to adjust your riding posture for the future. Besides, the Spyder becomes more familiar, and easier to ride, with every mile or demo ride.