Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Ranking My RT Mods

For what it's worth, I thought I'd summarize the mods I've done to date on my 2010 RT and how I'd rank them if I had to do them over again, one at a time, based on their potential to improve my driving experience.

1. Power Commander - since installing several months ago, the RT has run so smoothly that it felt like a different machine, and it didn't run badly to begin with. In terms of sheer pleasure, this has turned out to be the #1.

2. Works Performance Shocks (Front and Rear) - it was a toss-up between the Power Commander and shocks as the new shocks radically changed the way the RT handled. Top quality product and engineered specifically for the RT. If you're buying a 2011, this performance upgrade has been addressed.

3. Corbin Seat and Armrests - if you ride more than 30 minutes at a time, this is a must. Since changing to the Corbin, I've never had a moment where I thought about the seat; it's that comfortable. If you ride two-up, then you have to go the extra mile for the arm rests which are a major improvement over the near-useless OEMs.

4. Street Magic Triple Play, Fender Tips and Day Runners - lumped these all together as my goal was to be more visible to others, front and rear. Triple Play and the Fender Tips provide more visibility to the rear. The Day Runners do the same in the front, plus add a certain cosmetic improvement. Street Magic's products are well engineered and straightforward to install.

5. Street Magic Shorty Windshield - the shape and thickness of this windscreen is a substantial improvement over the OEM windscreen. The thickness kept the windscreen from waffling in the wind or on the highway, and the shape improved the airflow dramatically (better protection when raised; more airflow to the driver when lowered).

6. Evoluzione Sway Bar - I'm a little ambivalent about this item. I installed it after I installed the WP shocks and the handling improvement was noticeable, but barely. Others may have a better opinion if they did the mod before changing out the shocks. Not sure it would be a 'must do' if I were watching my pennies.

The few remaining things I've done fall into the category of convenience or cosmetics.

Hope my experience with these mods helps is some small way. Happy New Year!
    Last edited by 3Ryder; 12-29-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Ryder View Post
    3. Corbin Seat and Armrests - if you ride more than 30 minutes at a time, this is a must. Since changing to the Corbin, I've never had a moment where I thought about the seat; it's that comfortable. If you ride two-up, then you have to go the extra mile for the arm rests which are a major improvement over the near-useless OEMs.
    I am thinking of the Corbin seat and armrests to put on my RT Limited when it arrives this Spring but I have read some negative comments concerning the fit and quality. Also heard the armrests move around. Is this true on yours?
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the summary.....well worded and to the point. I haven't tried any of these mods, but I am interested in some. Your review will help when that time comes. I did try Lamont's Corbin seat, and it was very uncomfortable to me, but that is just me. With my bony butt, I am uncomfortable in an easy chair. I would add the ESI Muflap Lights to the list...great visibility improvement. The various third brake lights are also good additions. Looking forward to trying the new 2011 RT windshield, although there isn't as much need for more air in this climate, and buffeting would increase. My favorite mod was probably my trailer hitch.

Thanks again for the summary. Reviews like this really help others make good decisions.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, 3Ryder, for the summary on the mods. I'm so happy with my RT that I haven't done anything to it but, eventually, I will make some mods to the front suspension. I love Works Performance shocks so your evaluation of yours will help me make a decision there. Thanks

Cotton

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Correction...

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Thanks for the summary.....well worded and to the point. I haven't tried any of these mods, but I am interested in some. Your review will help when that time comes. I did try Lamont's Corbin seat, and it was very uncomfortable to me, but that is just me. With my bony butt, I am uncomfortable in an easy chair. I would add the ESI Muflap Lights to the list...great visibility improvement. The various third brake lights are also good additions. Looking forward to trying the new 2011 RT windshield, although there isn't as much need for more air in this climate, and buffeting would increase. My favorite mod was probably my trailer hitch.

Thanks again for the summary. Reviews like this really help others make good decisions.
    Scotty - what I call "Fender Tips" are actually the Mudflap Lights. At the time I purchased them, that's what Street magic labeled them. Sorry for the confusion. And I agree, they are very helpful.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default No issue with fit or quality...

Quote Originally Posted by rcpilot82 View Post
    I am thinking of the Corbin seat and armrests to put on my RT Limited when it arrives this Spring but I have read some negative comments concerning the fit and quality. Also heard the armrests move around. Is this true on yours?
    I have no issues with fit or quality. And the 'spyder' stitching garners a lot of compliments. The seat is snug at the nose and consequently I don't try to force the glove box closed. No issues with unlocking the seat. The gas cap access is a nice convenience.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Ryder View Post
    I have no issues with fit or quality. And the 'spyder' stitching garners a lot of compliments. The seat is snug at the nose and consequently I don't try to force the glove box closed. No issues with unlocking the seat. The gas cap access is a nice convenience.
    Glad to hear your good comments. With the armrests attached can the passenger still access the grap rails easily?
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the post !
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

instead of the corbin seat, we went with the AirHawk seat pads. they are great for long riding on the Harley and worked just as well on the Spyder.

the driver seat they have one that fits almost exactly. the passenger we used a small passenger pillion sizes but put it across the rear passenger seat.

pricey but cheaper then the corbin. the only thing I miss not having a corbin is the gas flap. I wonder if its a mod for the stock seat that can be done...

other then that echo you on the Works Performance shocks. have them on the front and made a nice improvement plus looks great as a bonus. Gave them Tom's Name to Bumblebee and WP will be vendor at the Spyderfest in MO!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Depends on the rider's size, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by rcpilot82 View Post
    Glad to hear your good comments. With the armrests attached can the passenger still access the grap rails easily?
    My guess is it depends on how much space the rider occupies (and I'm not going any further down that road).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    instead of the corbin seat, we went with the AirHawk seat pads. they are great for long riding on the Harley and worked just as well on the Spyder.

the driver seat they have one that fits almost exactly. the passenger we used a small passenger pillion sizes but put it across the rear passenger seat.

pricey but cheaper then the corbin. the only thing I miss not having a corbin is the gas flap. I wonder if its a mod for the stock seat that can be done...

other then that echo you on the Works Performance shocks. have them on the front and made a nice improvement plus looks great as a bonus. Gave them Tom's Name to Bumblebee and WP will be vendor at the Spyderfest in MO!
    I used the AirHawk for my banzai trip to Lamont's last year, but the air valve kept prodding me in the behind. With the bumstop on the seat, the Airhawk can't be placed far enough back for me to avoid sitting on the fill valve. The new poly AirHawks are even worse, with their rigid fill valve. I tested one at the bike shop. If you go the AirHawk route, be sure to test one on your Spyder, to see that your anatomy is compatible. Mine does nicely on my BMW, but fights me on the RTS.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

hmm strange are you sure you have the airhawk pad in the zip liner case correctly?

also which size are you using? dont go with the cheaper new airhawk2 model as they had to cut corners to get price down. if you spending this much on a pad not time to go cheap.

for the driver seat I think I went with the MEDIUM Cruiser Pad:
    14 x 14 which fit perfectly and I have never had the valve poke me when sitting... strange... how much air are you using in your airhawk? the secret is to use just enough to barely lift you off the seat like a mm or 2mm max. so almost flat. do NOT overfill. it makes a HUGE difference when you have proper inflation..

http://www.airhawk.net/airhawk-products.aspx

Spyder Garage

hmm strange are you sure you have the airhawk pad in the zip liner case correctly?

also which size are you using? dont go with the cheaper new airhawk2 model as they had to cut corners to get price down. if you spending this much on a pad not time to go cheap.

for the driver seat I think I went with the MEDIUM Cruiser Pad:
    14 x 14 which fit perfectly and I have never had the valve poke me when sitting... strange... how much air are you using in your airhawk? the secret is to use just enough to barely lift you off the seat like a mm or 2mm max. so almost flat. do NOT overfill. it makes a HUGE difference when you have proper inflation..

http://www.airhawk.net/airhawk-products.aspx
    I use the standard AirHawk - Medium Cruiser. It is installed and inflated correctly. The problem is in my anatomy. I sit very upright, and have absolutely no caboose. That puts my pelvic bones on top of the air valve if I sit in contact with the bumstop. I can avoid it by sitting further forward, but that eventually hurts my back. On my BMW, there is just a small rise rather than a pronounced bumstop, so I am OK there. I also lean a bit farther forward.

This is the same situation that occurs with seats...what is good for one person is bad for another. I may try a Russell Day-Long on the new RTS, now that I don't have to worry about a PE number anymore. The RTS has the most comfortable stock seat I have ever had on a motorcycle, but I really need some natural padding to go with it.

I agree that the cheaper model is to be avoided. It works OK, in general, but the rigid fill tube and stiffer fabric make it less comfortable...to me at least. Having a shorter warranty is a sign that it may not last, too. I have nothing to back that up, it is just my opinion.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

strange I thought my valve is off the rear side and not in the middle. try rotating the pad upside down. that would move the valve to the opposite side... with the securing straps on it should not move with the grippy side facing up. or maybe you have too little air and a slight bit more would make it so you dont sit down low enough to contact the valve.

i can access the valve without unzipping it more then an inch. hmmm will have to look next time I am in the garage.

Spyder Garage

strange I thought my valve is off the rear side and not in the middle. try rotating the pad upside down. that would move the valve to the opposite side... with the securing straps on it should not move with the grippy side facing up. or maybe you have too little air and a slight bit more would make it so you dont sit down low enough to contact the valve.

i can access the valve without unzipping it more then an inch. hmmm will have to look next time I am in the garage.
    The valve does sit off to one side. That is the one that gets sore! Like I say, it is my anatomy, probably partly combined with a delaminated seat, that limited how far back I could place the AirHawk. I'll see how the new Spyder compares when it comes in.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Can you post where and how much $$ were the WP shocks for the RT.
    I'm still at toss up between the Elka and the WP.
    I'm not even sure which model shocks.

please help me decide.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Contact Info...

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post

please help me decide.
    Not sure I can much help with your decision. I know nothing more than I read on this site regarding Elkas. As for the WP shocks, I do know they we're developed using my bike as a test bed so I believe the product reflects the reality of the RT, not an academic exercise. Her's their contact info and good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine with either company.

Thomas Edison
    Sales & Customer Service
    Works Performance Products, Inc.
    21045 Osborne Street
    Canoga Park, CA 91304
    818-701-1010 ext 21
    818-701-9043 fax
    www.worksperformance.com

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The valve does sit off to one side. That is the one that gets sore! Like I say, it is my anatomy, probably partly combined with a delaminated seat, that limited how far back I could place the AirHawk. I'll see how the new Spyder compares when it comes in.
    Sounds like you need frequent stops at Krispy Kreme!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by draboo View Post
    Sounds like you need frequent stops at Krispy Kreme!
    I volunteer to take him there!!!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

TMI Scotty!

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

RCPILOT82 - In our experience, the Corbin armrests don't move around, but my 5'6" wife said they were about 1/2 inch too high, she either had to hunch her shoulders or push her elbows outward. Still waiting for Corbin to post the expected cup holder bolt-on accessory, too.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post

please help me decide.
    WP will be at Spyder fest as well... also u can see mine at Spyderfest.

all the info you need is here on WP:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24394

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

3Ryder, Custom Dynamics (I believe they own the Street Magic line), tells me that the Triple Play is made only for the RS and not the RT. They also said they couldn't say that the Triple Play would not work on an RT but that it is not designed for it. Did you have any problems with it on your RT, either with installation or function?

Could you please be a bit more specific on the benefits of the Power Commander? Did it result in any improvement in gas mileage?

A very informative post. Thanks.

Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by liketoride2 View Post
    3Ryder, Custom Dynamics (I believe they own the Street Magic line), tells me that the Triple Play is made only for the RS and not the RT. They also said they couldn't say that the Triple Play would not work on an RT but that it is not designed for it. Did you have any problems with it on your RT, either with installation or function?

Could you please be a bit more specific on the benefits of the Power Commander? Did it result in any improvement in gas mileage?

A very informative post. Thanks.

Mike
    Here's the link: http://www.esicycleproducts.com/spydertripleplay.html

See the note: Please call for information on 2010 RT Triple Play Upgrade Conversion

What that means is that you need to remove the two tail lights and send them in for fitment of the Triple Play. Turnaround is very quick. Price is higher, but the end product is worth it, in my opinion. Evan was extremely helpful in explaining removal of the tail lights and re-installation.