RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Default What's it worth?

Hey guys and gals,
    I'm thinkin about trading my 2010 RT-S PE SE in on a 2011 RT-S SE in Titanium (?). Anybody have any thoughts on what I should expect to be allowed? Haven't had much luck finding trade in values in the books, to new to be listed. It has 16K on it but isn't dinged up and has had all of the updates including the clutch (never a problem) and DPS (also not a problem).

Thanks
    Dwight

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Dwight,
    Advantage Power Sports on Barry road in KC told me a 2010 RT-S PE was worth about 16-17K toward a 2011. I thought that was rather low but I wasn't a serious buyer when I asked.
    Just glad you're not going to the "DARK" side and looking at HD.

Spyder Garage

Im guessing a 40% hit on original value--and in most cases, any add on accesories will count for little or nothing. So ball park $16-17K sounds about right. IMO, the fact that its a 2010, will scare some people off because they think it is a problem prone machine. That may mess up the resale value for this year. If the problems continue to get resolved, some of that will go away and perhaps the trade in or resale value will hold. I have had no problems with my 2010 RTS either, and am approaching 13K miles on it. I was drooling over the 2011 pearl white one--myself. That would have made me the owner of a Spyder from every Spyder model year for the first four in a row. Common sense, and not wanting to throw away another $10-$12K to get on another new Spyder vehicle has caused me to say no for 2011. Im going to sit back and watch what happens for 2011. Happy, but frugal Spyder owner.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-01-2011 at 02:09 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

I'm dissapointed that I haven't recieved more replies on this. I'm really dissapointed in trade in value so far. In 2009 I sold my HD TriGlide with 7500 miles on it for $28K, purchased it for 32K. I can't hardley believe that I would have to take a 10 to 12K hit to move up to the same RT-S SE. Any more thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Dwight

Spyder Garage

Harleys and BMWs seem to be the only motorcycles which carry more than a 60%-70% trade-in value. A lot of brands and models are actually worse than the Spyder. I also think the breadth of pricing on the various RT models is going to hurt them, much as it hurts the high end Goldwing models in trade. The factory frills seem to be treated like accessories...and ignored. When I asked in the Fall, my dealer said $18K average on a 2010 RTS-SM5 in trade. He said it was hard to determine a value, and prices varied widely by region and dealer, when he researched it. We will be better off when there are book prices to guide the process, but I wouldn't expect miracles. It might be hard for a buyer to shell out $22K for a used RTS when he could buy a new base model for the same price. Most buyers would have to think about that decision carefully.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

We get the NADA Dealer edition books here,and here is what it says from the Sept. through Dec. edition.

Spyder RT-S SE5

THE NEW SUGESSTED LIST WAS $26499.00

ROUGH TRADE IN $16980.00

CLEAN TRADE IN $18925.00

AVERAGE RETAIL $23405.00
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It would probably be better to sell the RT-S to an individual and buy the new RT outright as Magic Man's numbers indicate. If the 2010 is clean and in good shape, it will likely bring over $20,000 to an individual.

As Scotty says, Harleys and BMW's seem to hold their resale values pretty well. I bought my 2000 R1100RT BMW in September of 2004 for $8,700 and sold it in September of 2010 for $5,000. That's not too bad a hit for 6 years of riding. I hadn't really intended to sell it but a friend's son really wanted it and I wasn't riding it much, so - - -. A nice BMW deserves to be ridden, not sitting around in a garage.

If I were you and I really wanted to buy a 2011 RT, I'd list the RT-S a couple of places for what you think is a reasonable price and just see what happens. Although winter is not usually a good time to sell a bike, it might not be bad for an RT-S right now because dealers are kinda in-between 2010's and 2011's and there aren't that many Spyders available right now.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

with bikeguy above. Selling outright, will net you more dollars towards a new bike.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor SPYDERPOPS's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You need to deal with Len at Cowtown in Cuba, MO!!!!!!!!!!!!! He will give you the best deal for sure, I know!!!!!!

Cowtown is a sponsor for this forum and has a banner ad on the home page.

pitbull

Quote Originally Posted by REPOPS View Post
    You need to deal with Len at Cowtown in Cuba, MO!!!!!!!!!!!!! He will give you the best deal for sure, I know!!!!!!

Cowtown is a sponsor for this forum and has a banner ad on the home page.
    Thanks Harvey, I'll do my best to make it right and take good care of you. I enjoy working with spyderlovers people the most of all we get to stay friend and incontact together. We will do far better than the n.a.d.a books and if you run the numbers spyders are holding there resale value better than most....but you have to use a good book. The black book does a much better job....N.A.D.A is great for cars, but prefur the black book for bikes and atv's...its all they do they even take into account for the off season values, and They are licensed by the AMA. The store number is 800 258 6898, if its after hours, feel free to call me at home on my cell 314 623 4743. Thanks agin Harvey and hope to get the chance to work with and for you Dwight

Spyder Garage

I have found over the years that if you're going to buy a new vehicle, wheather it be a bike or cage, your best bet is to sell your current one outright than to trade. I learned that the hard way. Especially if you still owe on it. I'm fortunate in that my RTS is paid, so it'd be wise for me to sell it privately. Yes, I'm looking at the 2011 RTS too. But my CFO has other ideas

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    I'm dissapointed that I haven't recieved more replies on this. I'm really dissapointed in trade in value so far. In 2009 I sold my HD TriGlide with 7500 miles on it for $28K, purchased it for 32K. I can't hardley believe that I would have to take a 10 to 12K hit to move up to the same RT-S SE. Any more thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Dwight
    Not many plans on buying one off the showroom floor and trade it in within the first year. Can't have it both ways (brand new vs. minimal depreciation). So the old saying hold true .... "If you wanna play, you gotta pay".
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies guys. Still haven't decided to trade it in but when I asked my dealer he really lowballed me. That's why I was trying to find out what it was worth. I guess if I trade it, it won't be with the selling dealer.Dwight

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't buy a bag of peanuts from the dealer I bought my 2010 from!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Recon View Post
    I wouldn't buy a bag of peanuts from the dealer I bought my 2010 from!!!!

And I definitely would not take something back to them to let them low ball me to 'take it off my hands' and make even more $$ off me. I just sold my Honda myself and made almost double what the dealer's offer was; that's pretty sad. Always sell your stuff yourself, don't feed the dealer machine!

Spyder Garage

Yep I've been offered 16k for my 08 SE5 RS but I've got over 10k in mods on it and I laughed I couldn't imagine selling it for under 20k dam people selling em on E-Bay for 8k sure doesn't help the prices either I'm sure :-((

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDog65 View Post
    Yep I've been offered 16k for my 08 SE5 RS but I've got over 10k in mods on it and I laughed I couldn't imagine selling it for under 20k dam people selling em on E-Bay for 8k sure doesn't help the prices either I'm sure :-((
    8K for '08 sounds about right. Mods will never command their original price. Most aren't given credit for. Best to strip them off and sell individually on eBay.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

pitbull

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDog65 View Post
    book says its worth 14,055 retail minus any mods. mods don't always bring all there money back but they do u the value. The 8000 spyders are bad for everybody that owns a spyder. But its a big world and you can find some real steals. If you like it I love it friend
    Last edited by pitbull; 01-04-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy trade in value

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    Hey guys and gals,
    I'm thinkin about trading my 2010 RT-S PE SE in on a 2011 RT-S SE in Titanium (?). Anybody have any thoughts on what I should expect to be allowed? Haven't had much luck finding trade in values in the books, to new to be listed. It has 16K on it but isn't dinged up and has had all of the updates including the clutch (never a problem) and DPS (also not a problem).

Thanks
    Dwight
    I looked at a new 2011 RTS (same as my 2010) they wanted 11,000 difference at first but came down to 7900 after a bit of haggling, I have 7500 miles on it and it still looks brand new. I am going to check with the dealer I bought it from to see if they will do any better.I guess like one of the other threads said if you are concerned about trade in value get a harley.Thats a heck of a drop in value though.