Spyder Garage

Default 'Recalibrated' RT Front Suspension

BRP has finally posted the 2011 RT parts fiche on their Website. It looks like the "recalibrated front suspension" is changed only in the shock portion itself. The sway bar and the front springs are the same part numbers as 2010. Disappointing!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    BRP has finally posted the 2011 RT parts fiche on their Website. It looks like the "recalibrated front suspension" is changed only in the shock portion itself. The sway bar and the front springs are the same part numbers as 2010. Disappointing!

Hmmmm... That is disappointing. Unless they changed the tolerances/specs of the original part

Sounds like I will not waste any time replacing the Anti-Sway Bar after all.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure how you can say it's disappointing until you ride one. From the guys I talked to at BRP that have ridden it they all seem to think it's a huge difference. It's not unheard of to change a part and not the part number too. I would hold judgment until you actually ride one.

Spyder Garage

May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I'm not sure how you can say it's disappointing until you ride one. From the guys I talked to at BRP that have ridden it they all seem to think it's a huge difference. It's not unheard of to change a part and not the part number too. I would hold judgment until you actually ride one.
    I agree that the proof is in the ride. I would not expect one of the part numbers to change, and not the rest, however...especially for the shock/spring assembly. As your experience has shown, the RT benefits greatly from a slightly increased spring rate, as well as strong compression dampening. I will hope for the best.....but I still expect the worst.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it's basically a change in the spring rate, just bump your preload up a notch and it ought to give at least a very similar feeling... I did, and have been very please with the outcome!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Boy, I hope this isn't true. I just placed an order for all the spring/shock assy. on the 2011 to install on my 2010. Think I may of just wasted my $$. They show the assembly (parts 13 through 18B) but don't give a part number for the assembly so,,,, I ordered the parts involved. Buying just the shock asborber would of been much cheaper.

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Just did a parts shearch for part numbers for 2010 vs 2011 shock and spring. They DO have different part numbers
    2010 Shock 706000675
    2011 Shock 706201150

2010 Spring 706000676
    2011 Spring 505071707

Looks different to me.

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If it's basically a change in the spring rate, just bump your preload up a notch and it ought to give at least a very similar feeling... I did, and have been very please with the outcome!

Many of us have done this, but as with many other items it has pros and cons. This is why for my wife and I, we hoped they made it so we no longer have to have a stiff front end.

We ryde most of the time with all the bags filled and two up. And we are more to the "Sportier" side of the ryde. So our RT-S is cranked all the way up. And we purchased the Anti-Swaybar to allow for us to back off the springs.

This re-valving very well could be the missing link. As with Aftermarket companies this is one of the variables they always tweak. And is why we got excited when we read that BRP worked on it. We realize the ryde is amazing as it is, but with the area we live in being so hilly and curvy we need that little extra stability for our ryding type.

Either-way I am sure the ryde will be improved.
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 12-23-2010 at 03:18 PM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frank3 View Post
    Just did a parts shearch for part numbers for 2010 vs 2011 shock and spring. They DO have different part numbers
    2010 Shock 706000675
    2011 Shock 706201150

2010 Spring 706000676
    2011 Spring 505071707

Looks different to me.
    I take that back. Looked at the wrong model for 2011.
    Think I'll try to cancel part of my order and just get the shocks.

Spyder Garage

2010 Shock 706000675
    2011 Shock 706201150

2010 Spring 706000676
    2011 Spring 505071707

Looks different to me.
    Not sure where you got that number "505071707" but when I looked it up it was for a 2008-10 GS

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Not sure where you got that number "505071707" but when I looked it up it was for a 2008-10 GS
    Yes, look at the post just prior to yours. Was able to contact my dealer in time to cancel order for all parts except new 2011 shocks. Saved some bucks. Hope the ride is as improved as they say.

Spyder Garage

Default Psst ...

Elkas ... Elkas ...

Spyder Garage

Default This is already in your future ..

Just could not pass this by ....

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post

Many of us have done this, but as with many other items it has pros and cons.

" This is why for my wife and I, we hoped they made it so we no longer have to have a stiff front end. "

We ryde most of the time with all the bags filled and two up. And we are more to the "Sportier" side of the ryde. So our RT-S is cranked all the way up. And we purchased the Anti-Swaybar to allow for us to back off the springs.

This re-valving very well could be the missing link. As with Aftermarket companies this is one of the variables they always tweak. And is why we got excited when we read that BRP worked on it. We realize the ryde is amazing as it is, but with the area we live in being so hilly and curvy we need that little extra stability for our ryding type.

Either-way I am sure the ryde will be improved.
    Last edited by wa3wheels; 12-24-2010 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Font size
    wa3wheels How can u drop a raw egg onto a concrete floor without cracking it? *Any way you want, concrete floors are very hard to crack.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post

...Many of us have done this, but as with many other items it has pros and cons. This is why for my wife and I, we hoped they made it so we no longer have to have a stiff front end.

We ryde most of the time with all the bags filled and two up. And we are more to the "Sportier" side of the ryde.
    I know that my Missus and I definitely are riding on the "Less than Sporty" side of the ledger, but we have felt that bumping the preload only one notch didn't really stiffen the ride that much... It just took some of the "lean" out of the turns. Everybody has their own definitions of what is and isn't uncomfortable though...
    Merry Christmas Everybody!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Typically when a part and part number is changed there is a serial number/model number break.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

2010 Shock 706000675
    2011 Shock 706201150
    When I was at the dealer Saturday, they showed # 706201150 as being a "Late 2010" model shock, but a different no. for the 2011 model. # 706001059 is for the 2011.
    Can anyone confirm this?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Not good what I found out. I have the bossweb sheet right here. The Spring, spring stopper and cap are the same part from 2010.
    The shock body, adjuster ring and ring protector have changed. So, the only real changes are in the shock body, probably with dampening. I have the parts on thier way to upgrade my 2010 to 2011 specs. If that doesnt help........Come on ELKA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    When I was at the dealer Saturday, they showed # 706201150 as being a "Late 2010" model shock, but a different no. for the 2011 model. # 706001059 is for the 2011.
    Can anyone confirm this?
    You are right. As of my posting, the old number was listed, but the new number is the one you have specified. Looks like they updated both the parts and the fiche.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

As per the Bossweb site, to get the new shocks, you need to order parts 13-18B, which include the shock body, adjuster ring, spring, spring stopper,cap and ring protector.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    As per the Bossweb site, to get the new shocks, you need to order parts 13-18B, which include the shock body, adjuster ring, spring, spring stopper,cap and ring protector.
    Yep, Here is a picture of my 2010 (bottom shock) and the 2011 assembly (upper shock) and the only real visible difference is the adjuster. I ordered the whole assembly with hopes of selling my 2010 RT shocks.

Last edited by cjackg; 01-30-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: -correction, 1 picture shows both...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I could be interested in purchasing your 2010 RT shock assemblies. How many miles are on them?

Yep, Here is a picture of my 2010 (bottom pic) and the 2011 assembly (upper pic) and the only real visible difference is the adjuster. I ordered the whole assembly with hopes of selling my 2010 RT shocks.

Spyder Garage

Yep, Here is a picture of my 2010 (bottom pic) and the 2011 assembly (upper pic) and the only real visible difference is the adjuster. I ordered the whole assembly with hopes of selling my 2010 RT shocks.

picture? did not show up

Spyder Garage

Correction, both the 2010 and the 2011 are shown in the one pic.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Still not sure of that. All the numbers but the shock itself, are the same. Of course if you plan to sell the old shocks, you will need everything.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!