Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Mobil 1 racing 4T oil in the Spyder!!!!

Just wanted to worn everyone that uses or is thinking of useing Mobil 1 racing 4T motorcycle oil for wet clutch aplications. We are not supposed to use an API SM rated oil in our Spyders for our clutch system. Mobil 1 racing 4T moturcycle oil has just switched to this API SM rating. If you look on the shelves you may find the old version or the new version but you will not know unless you look at the API specks on the back. The bottles look identical. I bought 4-quarts at Auto-Zone and had two of each. I went back and all was API SM. They said they were the newest and I got the last of the older ones. I do not want to get into all the info about API codes but all you have to do is put in Amsoil, Rotella, Mobil 1, etc. in the search and you can read all you need to.

If some may wonder why not the API SM, it can cause some clutch slippage in the Spyder. I am not an expert but some say not to use it in any wet clutch application and this makes me wonder why Mobil 1 racing 4T has went this direction. I guess this could be a misprint on the bottles at my Auto-Zone but I would not think so, anything is possible.

States We Have Been To On Our Spyder

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Spyder Garage

This is good to know. Thanks for the info. I was seriously thinking of going that way. But then I did some research and read all the great reviews about Amsoil, so I linked up with Ken and went with the Amsoil, and I'm glad I did. This is AMAZING stuff. Both bikes just love it!

Thanks again for the 411.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads up. I currently have Mobil1 Racing 4T in our Spyders, but of course no longer have those bottles. I will have to check the bottles next time I am at the auto parts store and see what they say on them. I am not looking forward to finding out they have switched things up like that.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I currently have Mobil1 Racing 4T in our Spyders, but of course no longer have those bottles. I will have to check the bottles next time I am at the auto parts store and see what they say on them. I am not looking forward to finding out they have switched things up like that.
    My remaining 2 bottles say SG, SH/CF JASO MA. I hope they did not change! Someone else makes a 4T- I,ll look it up now.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Ya Sarge that is what 2-of mine said and two were SM. I am like you, I used Mobil 1 syn. in all my vehicles.

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stripperking View Post
    Ya Sarge that is what 2-of mine said and two were SM. I am like you, I used Mobil 1 syn. in all my vehicles.
    http://www.smartsynthetics.com/artic...ical_facts.htm

This article by amsoil seems to say in the 6th paragraph down that the old SG, SH classifications are now obsolete and SM is an improvement to and completely compatibly with the outdated Classifications?
    I,m sure a REAL oil expert will help us!! (I,m Not.)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I switched to the 4t this past spring when I did my 6000 mile service, I now know maybe why I feel like my clutch is slipping maybe I got the new stuff. Will drain it in the spring and put something else in just to be safe.
    Last edited by burg650; 12-12-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    I switched to the 4t this past spring when I did not 6000 mile service, I now know maybe why I feel like my clutch is slipping maybe I got the new stuff. Will drain it in the spring and put something else in just to be safe.
    Hey... larger font! Thanks!

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Hey... larger font! Thanks!

What!! it's the same size as all the others put your reading glasses on.

Spyder Garage

I wrote in a question to the Mobil1.com site but plan on calling the 800 # Monday to get an answer.

Spyder Garage

Please post what you find out. I would really like to know.

Spyder Garage

Please post what you find out. I would really like to know.
    +1.

The good news for me is I bought two cases of Mobil 1 Racing 4T from a little Mom and Pop auto store. Its SG, SH/CF JASO MA and was on sale.

Pop knew he had some Mobil 1 of the type I wanted. He searched for half an hour in the back and came out announcing they had a pallet of the oil.

So for a while, unless Sarg comes back with drastic news, I will be a loyal customer to Mom and Pop.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Yazz, did they also have the new stuff or did you get lucky and all they had was the older stuff?

Spyder Garage

Yazz, did they also have the new stuff or did you get lucky and all they had was the older stuff?
    This store has been there from the '50's by the look of it. One of those small places that has everything you need, nothing you don't need. Who knows what they have in the back?

Think I got lucky and all they have is the old stuff.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    I was seriously thinking of going that way. But then I did some research and read all the great reviews about Amsoil, so I linked up with Ken and went with the Amsoil, and I'm glad I did. This is AMAZING stuff.Thanks again for the 411.
    I think that I'll follow your lead with either Amsoil or the BRP 'Dino Juice... At least we all know that it's not going to hurt anything inside the engine cases!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I never used the Mobil. I started using Royal Purple 10W40 on the SE5 at 5,000 miles and kept using it. I traded the SE5 on the RT after 43,000 miles without any problems. I have started using RP on the RT at the break in oil change and plan on continuing. OH, and yes, I use automotive oil!
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    I never used the Mobil. I started using Royal Purple 10W40 on the SE5 at 5,000 miles and kept using it. I traded the SE5 on the RT after 43,000 miles without any problems. I have started using RP on the RT at the break in oil change and plan on continuing. OH, and yes, I use automotive oil!
    You don't use the RP for motorcycle???
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    You don't use the RP for motorcycle???
    The oils are identical except the motorcycle oil has additives for air cooled engines. I got this information from the RP technician. He said that a liquid cooled engine, even with a wet clutch, will not be harmed by the oil. It did well in the SE5 so I am going to trust it in the RT, which is a manual.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Amsoil and Ken

Complete your message. Ken can be found at kbr1954@yahoo.com. He can supply you not only with Amsoil but the needed filters and their seals. He's a straight shooter. No problems.

Spyder Garage

Wink

I skipped Mobile 1 and Amsoil Motorcycle oils cause they didn't have the recommended 5W40. they only have 10W40.

just to be safe I stuck with 5W40 and went with Motul full Synth.

Spyder Garage

Can,t find a Mobil Phone # and they didn,t answer my question?

Spyder Garage

Default I second that.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur---Mexico View Post
    Complete your message. Ken can be found at kbr1954@yahoo.com. He can supply you not only with Amsoil but the needed filters and their seals. He's a straight shooter. No problems.
    I've been buying from Ken for a bit now, the man is as good as they come.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    I skipped Mobile 1 and Amsoil Motorcycle oils cause they didn't have the recommended 5W40. they only have 10W40.

just to be safe I stuck with 5W40 and went with Motul full Synth.
    Not a good reason to skip over a great oil. Many oils don't even meet the viscosity rating on the bottle. Many don't meet them very long (if they did when you opened the bottle).

BRP doen't recommend 5 weight because 10 weight will destroy or harm your engine. It's got more to do with cold weather starts (real cold) and fuel mileage (Minimal difference with 10w) than anything else.

For me, I like the heavier weight low end because I know what happens with transmission gears that run in light oil. They tend to wear more, especially if you ride hard, pull a trailer or ride 2 up.

Also, the greater the number spread between the low and the high, the less stable the oil. Not a big deal there, probably, if you're using a high quality product. But can be a real issue with cheaper brands.

Besides, the 'Blended' oil you get in the BRP bottle (which is the current recommended oil for the Spyder) is Castrol 10w-40. Only their 'Full Synthetic' oil is 5w-40. And I'm wondering if BRP decided that for warmer climates the 5w was too thin.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-25-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Wink

Man all this talk is starting to make me worry... I am using the
    Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 1 Gal. Oil

Am I creating an issue for our Spyder?

Last edited by IWN2RYD; 12-15-2010 at 01:04 AM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Wink

actually the first number is the starting viscosity so I think it is better to get 5W40 then 10W40. Once it warms up they are BOTH 40 weight oil so you are not running thinner oil. same miles per gallon as well as they both are 40W at operating temp.

only if you went to 10W50 would you get a heavier oil or 20W50 like VTwin oil.

but back on topic... Motul 300V 4T is better than Mobile 1. do a search on the sportsbike race forums and you will see a lot of Motul supporters. its full Synth... guys are using this in racing bikes for past few years.

here is the data sheet for it = http://matrixsyntheticoils.com/datas...4T%205w-40.pdf

PERFORMANCE:
    STANDARDS Above existing standards (means it exceeds all standards not just meets them)...

So I think its better for you to get lower viscosity for better start up and the oil gets up to pressure faster to protect the engine on start-up better and then it warms and protects at SAE 40 when running....

bottom line: why spend this much $$ on a Spyder to use 10W40 instead of the recommended viscosity 5W40? just saying probably within the life of the motor will not make a difference... but you CAN get just a good quality or better quality oil in the 5W40 weight ...
    Last edited by clueless; 12-15-2010 at 01:30 AM.