Spyder Garage

Default Former/ Current Pilots?

As someone who has and continues to study all the manuals and video sources to become a pilot and can pass a written (Practise tests) with an average of 85% most of the time I have some questions for you?
    I had taken 3 lessons in a 172 BEFORE I bought my and then stopped for lack of funds.
    I could resume in the summer BUT wonder if the 60-80 hours and 12-14 Thousand is really practical since I already have 2 Different style jet skies and the Spyder to fill my time.
    When I was up the view was nice when you had time to enjoy it? BUT I find I can cruise ALL afternoon on the Spyder and see Sights Close-Up for about $10?
    I realize Flying is a Great Adventure and requires a unique mental and physical discipline and wonder how you Pilots relate to the Spyder ?

PS: I sometimes feel I,d be better served paying to go up Twice a year with a FI for an hour with me flying (except Take off and Final) just to fullfill my need to do it! (A Lot Cheaper?)

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I fly for a living so I'm very biased in my opinions.I say,if you can afford it,do it! We ride and still have time to jump in the Beech and enjoy watching a sunset from the air.....go for it!

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

In all truth... ryding is the next best thing to flying. Hands down, no argument there.

Learning to be a pilot puts you in a different mind-set. Its a good thing. One that comes in handy on the roads.

Why I prefer ryding more? You don't have to deal with the FAA and can pull the Spyder out any time and go for a ryde without protocol or $$$.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I guess I would have to say that riding is the best substitute for flying that there is...

If I could go back to the sky, and the price was never to ride again, for me there would be no question.

I started flying a long time ago, then got sidetracked by the responsibilities of life. Not whining, that's just how it is. But going away left an empty space inside that I can't even begin to describe.

A few years ago I started flying ultralights while working in England. Unfortunately lung disease put an end again. (A hypoxic pilot at low altitude isn't a good thing)

The Spyder helps but not the same.

There is nothing like seeing the sunrise from up there, or achieving that rare elusive landing where you aren't able to tell when the gear caresses the runway, or .... all of those things that Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee, No 412 squadron, RCAF (Killed 11 December 1941) expressed so much better than I ever could.

From my perspective, if there is any way for you to join the fraternity, do it.

Sorry for a long, perhaps rambling post.

Ron

RT-S PE#0256 SyderLovers Sponsor Mad Matt's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sold my plane years ago. I sure do miss it. The best part was the freedom to just go wherever, whenever. I lived in LA when I had it and it was so nice getting in and out with no traffic. I was instrument current for years and that takes a lot of work, but it is very rewarding when you come down out of the clouds and the runway is right there!

I even got my wife to wash it for me! LOL! OK, it was her plane too, she also has her ticket.

Mad Matt

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've been a career helicopter pilot for the last 20 years in western Canada. If you can afford it then I say go for it! But, if you have to question whether it is worth it or not I would guess it's not a huge passion for you.
    I think one of the things that translate from flying to the Spyder is an increase in situational awareness. Although landing at last light then getting to ride my Spyder home is an absolute bonus!
    Phil

Spyder Garage

Well I would say the Spyder is a more advance bike than some of the older airplanes are. But compared to say a Boeing 777 or an Airbus 320 not close at all. I agree with Yazz that not dealing with the FAA (the majority happen to be morons today because they simply got hired) makes riding not only enjoyable and affordable but requires no medical to do it!
    I would agree also that if flying with an Instructor every few months gets your "fix" then that is the cheapest and most affordable way to go! As much as I miss flying around the world, not having transportation can limit your ability to see the sights whereas the Spyder gives as many sights as you like for as long as you desire (no schedule to keep because riding it isn't work).

Just my 2-cents.
    Last edited by SpyderFun; 12-10-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post
    Well I would say the Spyder is a more advance bike than some of the older airplanes are. But compared to say a Boeing 777 or an Airbus 320 not close at all. I agree with Yazz that not dealing with the FAA (the majority happen to be morons today because they simply got hired) makes riding not only enjoyable and affordable but requires no medical to do it!
    I would agree also that if flying with an Instructor every few months gets your "fix" then that is the cheapest and most affordable way to go! As much as I miss flying around the world, not having transportation can limit your ability to see the sights whereas the Spyder gives as many sights as you like for as long as you desire (no schedule to keep because riding it isn't work).

Just my 2-cents.
    Thanks for ALL your opinions!!
    I really need to pay off the Spyder first and put some $$ away for the Ole "New Roof," Thing someday?
    My best chance is the Shorter "Sport License" when one becomes available for training close to my town!!
    I Love the freedom of the Spyder and Clearing my mind as I listen to the tunes and wander around the countryside!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I finally found this photo!
    20 years flying these beasts for the same company.
    They must be doing something right.
    I tried to leave a couple of times and within a month I was on my way to Ft. Erie Eurocopter to pick up a brand new machine!
    Judging by the photo you can imagine what it's like to get life insurance!
    Life is way too short! If it makes noise...RIDE IT!!
    Max

Spyder Garage

i love flying but never got my full lic. so i fly ulterlights ive had 7 and bult two from kits.nothing will compar to bulding your owen air craft and then fly it for the frist time ,man what a rush.no lic and i know some people will say im crazy but look at all the fun ive had.i love my spyder too.but i didnt get to buld it.

Spyder Garage

The BEST things my aviation training provided me that last forever were:

1. Cockpit scan. I continue to use scan techniques no mater what I'm driving/riding both inside and outside the vehicle. One of my pet peeves are drivers whose attention is FIXED on the road immediately ahead of them without regard to what's behind/beside them or even what's further ahead of them.

2. Pre-flight and Post-flight checklist. While I don't do this for every ride/drive, I certainly do it frequently! Taught me to be proactive rather than reactive with regard to mechanical/safety issues with my vehicle.
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5