RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Default Air pressure and shock setting

Have any of you RT-S owners checked you airbag (shock) pressure for each setting? I just got mine back from the shop for air system repairs and it doesn't seem like it has the correct pressures for each setting. According to the owners manual the softest setting with a solo rider should be 20psi with increasing values as you move toward the firmest setting. After riding home from the shop I checked my pressure with it set on one up from the softest. It had about 14psi in it. Several days later I rode it again with the air bag set on the middle position. When I checked the pressure it was again at 14psi. I was riding solo on both occasions. It doesn't seem like this should be the case. I wear 2 hearing aids and cannot hear the compressor run so I can't be sure it is working. What do you think? Incidently, the complete air system was replaced.

Dwight

Spyder Garage

Sounds like it never got fixed. Did you add pressure ( air ) when you changed it from softest to the mid way ? If so I would think you have a leak !
    Happy Owner

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

I think Dwight has a RT-S with on board compressor so it should inflate and deflate automatically depending on the settings on the dash. Dwight has had loads of trouble with the air bag and sounds like the end hasn't come into view yet. I think you have a good dealer Dwight but you might want to go up to the dealer at Barry Road and I-29 in KC to see if his approach would be any different. Not saying that Advantage Powersports is any better than your dealer but they might look at it with a new eye.
    By all means, don't go to the dark side (trade for a HD). I think HD is very old technology and have never been a fan. Good Luck

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Yep, you're right Frank. It should automatically inflate and deflate. It doesn't appear to be doing that. My dealer said that the only thing left to replace is the digital switches in the instrument cluster. They said they would do that but only as a last resort. They have one in stock so all it involves is another trip to the dealer. The downside is that it would reset the mileage to 0 so I suppose I would need some sort of legal paper to explain the mileage when I trade it in. I'll try another test today and see what happens.

Dwight

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Dwight,
    I think you might send a PM to Scotty (Nancy's Toy) and ask him his opnion about this and also what the proper procedure for checking the system. Seem there is something about bing on the RT at time of check because of the weight and maybe something about it running. Scotty knows just about EVERYTHING about the RT.

Spyder Garage

I don't know everything about anything, but I do know a little about a lot of things...including the Spyder.

The RTS is a little different from the regular RT or the A&C. It fills or empties the system to a specific ride height, not a specific pressure. A light rider will require less pressure to achieve a particular ride height than a heavier rider, cargo, or a passenger. In addition, as long as the engine is running and the Spyder is in gear, the ride height will adjust. Mine bleeds off pressure when I stand on the pegs to see where I am as I park in the garage, then pumps back up when I sit down.

The best way to see if the system is working is via BUDS, so your dealer should have been able to test it. First, they should follow the procedures in Warranty Bulletin 2010-6, to see that the ride height sensor was correctly installed (many were not done right by the dealers), and that the sensor linkage is not bent (easy to do). There is a new calibration procedure for the ride height sensor, and it should be followed as described in the bulletin. After the sensor is correctly set, the sensor output, compressor function, and solenoid release function can all be verified via BUDS. As I recall, this test requires a weight in the seat, like proper alignment does. As an additional check on the air system integrity, a pressure reading should be taken at the Schrader valve, then checked again after sitting overnight. Any leak-down indicates a system leak, which needs to be located and repaired. There have been several bad air bags and fittings. There is a repair kit and a bulletin on that subject.

If you want to do a quick home test, start the engine and put the Spyder in gear (first or reverse). Have someone measure from the floor to a specific point on the Spyder at each height setting. I suggest measuring from the floor to the bottom of the rear mudflap. There should be a measureable difference between steps, both going up and going down. You should also hear the compressor run going up, and the solenoid valve releasing (hissing) going down. Each step will take a few seconds to complete. Adding a passenger or a weight to the rear seat should cause a momentary lowering, then a full recovery to the original ride height setting.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Scotty, I wish I knew just some of what you have forgotten over your lifetime. Your modesty is one of your greatest assets. You are a walking information bank. Thank you from all of us for your unselfish inputs on this forum.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Scotty, I wish I knew just some of what you have forgotten over your lifetime. Your modesty is one of your greatest assets. You are a walking information bank. Thank you from all of us for your unselfish inputs on this forum.

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Scotty, the measuring trick should tell me what I need to know. I just got it back from the shop. They replaced the complete air system, and I mean everything! They also replaced the rear shock but it didn't act like the different settings had any effect. It's supposed to get up to 50 degrees today so I'll take it out for a longer ride and see how it feels. Short ride yesterday with the air set at full hard resulted in 28 psi, maybe not long enough ride to allow it to come up, or as you say since it is only to maintain ride height that may be all it needs. I guess more testing is in order!

Thanks guys
    Dwight

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Update,
    It appears the air system is working the way it should. While it was in the shop this time they replaced the rear shock. I asked if they replaced it with the 2nd generation shock and they assured me they did. I'm thinking it either wasn't the 2nd gen shock or the one I got isn't a very good one. It's noticeable that this shock doesn't have as much dampening as the one they replaced. I guess I'm satisfied that they did what they could, it's kind of a moot point anyway as I've decided to trade it in on an 11. Hopefully the 11's will be past the "Beta Testing" stage!

Dwight

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    Update,
    It appears the air system is working the way it should. While it was in the shop this time they replaced the rear shock. I asked if they replaced it with the 2nd generation shock and they assured me they did. I'm thinking it either wasn't the 2nd gen shock or the one I got isn't a very good one. It's noticeable that this shock doesn't have as much dampening as the one they replaced. I guess I'm satisfied that they did what they could, it's kind of a moot point anyway as I've decided to trade it in on an 11. Hopefully the 11's will be past the "Beta Testing" stage!

Dwight
    Dwight, Glad you finally got everything fixed. REALLY glad you didn't go to the "DARK" side. I think you'll love your 2011. Good Luck