Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm open to advice...

Hi everyone! I am new to the site and need some advice. I will keep this short...I am 46 yoa right now and have been feeling that desire to get back to riding a motorcycle. It has been many years since I last did that. I am drawn to the idea of getting a Harley. I am also open to the idea of owning the very unique and special Spyder. I am not looking to have a Harley vs. Spyder argument here. I understand the differences. I lean away from the traditional 2-wheeler for safety reasons. First, I think it's important for you to understand why I want to make such a purchase.

Quite simply, I am looking to add more fun to my life. On a nice day, I want to be able to hop on a motorcycle and enjoy the fun of driving to the office. I live 45-minutes from where I work. I am in Pittsburgh and live in the North suburban area and travel to near the airport. I also want to be able to take my wife with me on a Friday night or Saturday for a day trip and get away on the open road. I guess my basic concern (fear) is that there are so many teens and twenty-somethings out there on the road now-a-days that pay more attention to text messaging than they do other drivers. Plus, two wheels are less stable on non-ideal road conditions.

So, do I splurge on a Spyder RT-S or go get a convertible sports car?

I'm thinking the Spyder is far more noticeable and visible to other drivers - similar to a car anyway. And I know it has safety features such as antilock brakes and stability control - similar to a car as well.

So really....spill the beans here.....open up on me. I am sure some of you had similar thoughts at one time. I can pick up a used, low miles Harley for half the price of the Spyder or convertible. Are there used Spyders with the touring packages out there - they seem hard to find.

Thanks, in advance, for your discussion on this.

Spyder Garage

I think I'm a good person to answer your question because I started riding mid 50's. I also have a convertible BMW Z3. But, it wasn't quite what I was wanting after a while.

Still have the Z3. It's in storage while we ryde the Spyder for now. Both my hubby and I get on the Spyder (with me always doing the driving) and off we go. We're not quite up for long trips. Yet. Who knows? With luggage on the RS it's certainly possible. One couple her toured the entire USA on an RS with GIVI bags!!!! Dudley and Jenn has quite the trip!!! So traveling is certainly possible.

Get the Spyder while you are still feeling able to enjoy the open road. Later, when you are "old" retire the Spyder if you no longer feel up to ryding it. THEN get the convertible sports car!!! Enjoy the wind on your knees as long as you can!!!! Old age comes whether you want it to or not!

My Z3 is for later. It's all Spyder now!!!!

Edit to add: Yes, other drivers texting and talking on the phone is a concern. But your style of ryding will measure up to how much risk you are comfortable with. You could get hit by a car walking across a street. Texting drivers aren't paying attention no matter where they are. As ryder you have to ryde defensively all the time. Expect drivers to do the most ridiculous thing. Because sometimes they will. SEE as in the BRC curriculum. Forget the actual words. Search, Evaluate, Execute?? Something like that. ALWAYS look ahead of where you are on the road. Look where you are going to be in 2 to 3 seconds. That's where trouble might be.

Good luck with your decision. You can see how I voted!!!
    Last edited by DynamoBT; 04-04-2011 at 12:59 PM.
    Marilyn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First of all... Welcome to our little slice of the pie!
    The Spyders DO get noticed! We often joke about feeling like Rock Stars while riding because a lot of folks aren't bashful about asking questions...
    When I had my Gold Wing, I'd go to the Americade convention each year up in Lake George. I'd be one of about 10,000 bikes that looked just like mine. Not now...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Definitely differences.

Hello Rvano,
    Good luck to you and whatever you decide to ride/drive. One of the big differences for me is, you ride on a Spyder or two-wheels, you ride in a convertible. To me, it's comparing apples to oranges. A convertible has nothing on an open aired machine IMHO. I've thought of having a convertible instead of 2 or 3 wheels myself but after driving a convertible, these two different types of vehicles are not interchangable. NO WAY!!! Again, IMHO. You will not get the exhileration in a convertible that you can get out of an open-aired machine. Again, good luck and go with whatever makes you happy and comfortable. Jerry

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Talking

I am 46 too and have never ridden a motorcycle , I always wanted a bike but never got one . Once I saw the spyder I was hooked and wanted one. Last summer I got my bike liscence and I started looking at a spyder to buy. Thje Rs did not fit my body as I felt too cramped in a sport bike riding position and my wife did not like the passenger seat. So I took an RT out for a test ride , the riding postion and seat felt comfortable and my wife like the passenger seat too. We ended up buying a spyder RTS SE5 a 2010 model in timeless black. Since we bought at the end of our riding season the dealer has stored it for us until we take delivery of it in 3weeks so I cannot comment on any issues ,likes/dislikes about it . Just make sure that you buy from a dealer that has a great reputation for customer service and has a great technician working for the dealership so that any problems can be resolved quickly. And one more thing
    Marker

Spyder Garage

LOL .... 45 going on 46 here. 35 minutes commute from burb to city. I decided to have both. Spyder for days that I want to rip around and a supercharged Miata for days I want some comfort yet still be able to put the hammer down. And of course I have a rain car and a snow ute and a hunting truck. Each have its own purpose.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Spyders and Harleys are not for everyone. Suggest you test drive your choices and see what you like the best--then go for it. A purchase like this is expensive--so you want to make sure your going to be happy with it.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Whatever you do make sure you have the wife's interest in mind too. It sounds like the two of you are "partners" so her HONEST input would be helpful for your decision.

I for one regret that I didn't get an automatic spyder because I truly think that my wife would have been interested in riding it. I instead "selfishly" bought a manual, and now she doesn't want to attempt to learn how to go through the gears. It's more riding for me, but I wish that I had been thinking.

It sounds like you're in a win win situation anyway. Both options appear to be good to me. Good luck.

Chris PE# 0004

Spyder Garage

You'll probably spend less for a good used Z3, than for a Spyder RT. If I lived East of the Rockies, I wouldn't have a bike of any kind - humidity, bugs, and general weather - but that's me… JMHO
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Registered Users ScreaminMeanie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I didn't start riding motorcycles until I was 47. Spent 8 years doing that, then medical issues made me a little unsteady on my pins, so I had to give up 2 wheels. Never even considered a convertible - I've ridden in plenty, owned one, and they don't come close to the fun of "having your knees in the wind."

My husband rides, too, and he's still plenty healthy, but he has no regrets about us giving up both of our 2-wheelers in exchange for the Spyder. It's really the best of both worlds. We can each ride it, or we can ride it together. Once I learned how to ride a motorcycle myself, you wouldn't get me on the back of one for love nor money. I'm happy as a clam riding on the back of the Spyder. For that matter, I'd be happy to switch seats with hubby anytime, and let him ride on the back.

Spyder Garage

I can't relate to your situation of coming back to riding, since I never left, but my wife started riding solo at 54...on a Spyder. Her convertible has been sitting in the garage ever since. I still ride my 2-wheelers, but for safety in traffic, poor weather or road conditions, or two-up, the Spyder is my open-air vehicle of choice. I have to admit that a sports car would be safer for the occupant if the texters got him, but to be honest, I can't get in and out of one of the darned things. I have owned some, but I prefer bikes and Spyders. Even my hotrod gets far fewer mile since my RTS came to roost.

This all comes down to personal preferences. You seem to have a good handle on the pros and cons of each choice. The final decision is yours alone to make. I'm sure anyone here would vote for the Spyder, but what pleases us may not please you. Take an extended test ride or two...if you still have your endorsement. That should tell you a lot. Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 04-04-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

RS vs Vert = RS
    RT vs Vert = Vert

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Like Scotty (Nancy's Toy) I haven't really given up riding since I first started in high school (40 + years ago). BUT I have had lots of convertibles through the years, too, and currently have a hardtop Mercedes SLK sitting in the garage that I haven't driven in I can't remember when. I also have several two wheelers sitting in the garage and have to say that all of them and the Spyder get taken out WAY more than the convertible. For some reason, I only have a really short season that I enjoy the convertible - even with the heated neck warmer, heated seat, and heater cranked up to high, I'm not comfortable when it's too cool and I don't think about taking it out when it' sunny and really hot. But there is never too cold or too hot for me when it comes to riding a motorcycle or the Spyder - only time I don't get out on one is when there is snow, ice or cinders on the road. (Or right now when I have one broken leg from a two wheeler accident six weeks ago - wouldn't have happened if I were riding the Spyder ).
    I would think if you are considering two-up riding that the Spyder would be an excellent first choice based on both rider and passenger comfort and ease of mind riding (no worries about loose gravel, slow U-turns with a passenger, etc.) PLUS your wife could possibly come to love driving it herself!
    Good luck with your decision.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My wife has a spyder and i have a honda valkyrie. We also have a 57 chev conv. boats and 4 wheelers. What to ride But when the weather is right we prefer the bikes to all other forms of transportation. And to top that off we live in minnesota where the season is short and the water gets hard. This has been one long a$$ winter and we are looking forward to nice weather. And the hard choice on what to ride in or on.

Spyder Garage

There is much to be said for each choice. For me, some of the finest, most care-free moments ever spent on the road were spent in a vette with the top off. If I can ever swing it, I will have another. I am not holding my breath! But even that comes up short in a few respects to the absolute freedom I feel while riding. There is a connection to the road that you get from riding that just can't be matched by any other vehicle.

Now, as far as which motorcycle to choose, that is a very personal thing. The Spyder has been fantastic to ride, and I enjoy it every time. The saftey factor that the Spyder gives you is unmatched, especially for going 2-up. But as I get deeper into the cycling experience, I am finding that I want more. And this is nothing negative against the Spyder at all; the Spyder simply has a few limitations that I find annoying. And there are a few reliability concerns that keep me from wanting to take it real far from home. I know others have done it without incident, but I don't feel comfortable enough with it. So when I can I'm switching to 2 wheels. And who's to say that after a few years of 2 wheels I won't want to switch back? Chances are that is exactly how it will play out. Actually, there will be always be a Spyder in the house because my Wife will not part with hers, so I will have the best of both worlds. Truth be told, THAT's the way to do it!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rvano View Post
    Hi everyone! I am new to the site and need some advice. I will keep this short...I am 46 yoa right now and have been feeling that desire to get back to riding a motorcycle. It has been many years since I last did that. I am drawn to the idea of getting a Harley. I am also open to the idea of owning the very unique and special Spyder. I am not looking to have a Harley vs. Spyder argument here. I understand the differences. I lean away from the traditional 2-wheeler for safety reasons. First, I think it's important for you to understand why I want to make such a purchase.

Quite simply, I am looking to add more fun to my life. On a nice day, I want to be able to hop on a motorcycle and enjoy the fun of driving to the office. I live 45-minutes from where I work. I am in Pittsburgh and live in the North suburban area and travel to near the airport. I also want to be able to take my wife with me on a Friday night or Saturday for a day trip and get away on the open road. I guess my basic concern (fear) is that there are so many teens and twenty-somethings out there on the road now-a-days that pay more attention to text messaging than they do other drivers. Plus, two wheels are less stable on non-ideal road conditions.

I'm thinking the Spyder is far more noticeable and visible to other drivers - similar to a car anyway. And I know it has safety features such as antilock brakes and stability control - similar to a car as well.

So really....spill the beans here.....open up on me. I am sure some of you had similar thoughts at one time. I can pick up a used, low miles Harley for half the price of the Spyder or convertible. Are there used Spyders with the touring packages out there - they seem hard to find.

Thanks, in advance, for your discussion on this.
    I drive around Los Angeles county approx 30-35K miles per year. I always had to have two cars so that if one was
    in the shop I had the other one to drive. Also I would not run a vehicle into the ground so soon. Both of my vehicles
    were not very practical everyday cars. And my wife would never go to the race track with me either.

But when I said I was gonna sell the car that I occasionally took to the track for the RTS she was all for it. She really
    thought I was joking because she knew how much time I put into the care of that car.

Let me say that I would have sold both vehicles , the vett and the convertible sports car for the RTS ( my wife never reads what I print here )

The RTS is simply the most fun I have ever had in my life. I thought I would always want a Ferrari................The RTS
    is my Ferrari. When I got mine they didn't offer the Red. Would actually like to have another so that I could trade off from
    one spyder to the other. I have 17k miles in just over a year. We have taken more trips together in the last year than we
    have the previous 5 years. She sees how much fun and enjoyment my dog DooLittle gets from riding with me. That we now
    take our dog with us every chance we ride two up.

So to answer your first statement. This will add a tremendous amount of "more fun" to your life. And the answer to your second question SPLURGE

good luck and let us know what you end up doing!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    You'll probably spend less for a good used Z3, than for a Spyder RT. If I lived East of the Rockies, I wouldn't have a bike of any kind - humidity, bugs, and general weather - but that's me… JMHO
    I just checked your 7 day forcast. Think I prefer mine.

TonightTomorrowWedThuFri6-10 Day
    Mostly Clear

T-storms

Sunny

Mostly Sunny

Mostly Sunny
    Extended Forecast High: 85° Low: 67°
    High: 75° Low: 53°
    High: 77° Low: 60°
    High: 81° Low: 64°
    High: 84° Low: 65°

Get Alerts:MobileEmailWeather Bulletins

But that's just me

Spyder Garage

Best of luck in making the decision that best fits you and your wife. I would definitely take the Spyder for a test ryde with your wife before making a decision on any of the vehicles.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you decide to go with a Spyder, please try out a tourer. I didn't, and I think that was a mistake. I'm 71 now, 70, when I bought my 08, last July, with only 600+ mliles on it. I'm right at 6' tall and 200 lbs, and I find the riding position of the RS to be cramped and uncomfortable, especially for anything over 50 miles, although, I've done a few things that make that less of an issue, like buying a large Air Hawk pad.

Good, that I can take my wife of 50 years with me. Good, that the Spyder has good brakes, and really impressive handling/cornering. I'm not all that fond of the dynamic power steering, but I understand that those who have had their's changed out are much happier with them. I had the latest software installed, but not sure that the steering changed for the better, so I'll be going back to the stealer when I get back home. I like the lights, though I read that some ryders are not very pleased with their's, and I do ride with the high beams on in the day-time. I like the way the thing soaks up road irregularities, especially anything that runs diagonally to you. I stopped the "heart-in-the-throat" business after a few hundred miles, and finding out that crossing a RR track, running at 45 degrees, wasn't going to throw me.

The does attract attention. I get people asking to take a picture of the dang thing!

I had had mine just 3 weeks, when I rode it from VT to Nova Scotiar and back, and two weeks ago, 5 of us old farts took our bikes from Brownsville to the Texas Hill Country and back. Over 1200 miles, and a great time was had. But, I don't really have an iron butt, and it was tiring, to say the least. I'm really looking forward to Spyderfest, and putting on another 1K miles or so, up in norhern Arkansas, and lower MO, before we get up to Cuba.

Like has been said, the choice is yours, but whichever way you go, don't let being 46 years old be a factor. For myself, I'd ride most anything, before I'd ride a Harley, but that's just me. Fact is, I've never ridden a Harley that handled poorly, just never liked the shake. Second thought; I'd really like to try a V-Rod. Bet all my Harley objections would disappear in a hurry.

Try a Spyder for the longest test ride that you can arrange. Like the lady said above, keep a good interval, (I try to keep 4-5 seconds of clear space in front of me), and so far, I haven't even had a close call on the Spyder. Knock on wood. I'll bet you'll like it, if you get onto one that fits you. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rvano View Post
    Simple,

If you pick the convertible over the Spyder you'll have fun while the top is down but the top won't be down all the time will it? Eventually you'll start wondering if you should have picked the Spyder.

If you pick the Spyder you'll wonder why you ever thought there was a choice!

Seriously, the Spyders have changed our lives and become like family. Nearly two years ago I decided to give up 2 wheelers as soon as we could afford a second Spyder. That day came last July and nearly a year later I have no regrets.

If it's not too premature...

Spyder Garage

Do NOT go near a Spyder.
    Do NOT sit on a Spyder.
    Do NOT take a test ride on a Spyder.
    Do NOT enjoy the power from a Spyder.
    Do NOT thrill at the handling of the Spyder.

If you do, you will wonder why on earth you ever had any doubts about a Spyder.
    Much better than any open sports car.
    Harley not even in the same playing field.

Wouldn't swap mine for anythng, ( maybe thats an overstatement)

Spyder Garage

We have a Corvette. It's a great ride and the best fun I've ever had ... in a car.

However.... even with the top down there is no thrill like the Spyder. I was raised on two wheels and when me and my hubby met he rode a crotch rocket.

We're in our mid 40's and we both have a Spyder. Not only do we feel spoiled but we totally rock those things!

By 'spoiled' I mean like when we went to Daytona for Bike Week. It is so crowded with bikes! If you were on two wheels you walked your bike practically from light to light. I just sat there on my Spyder swinging my legs and listening to my music while I waited. We have the semiautomatic so... no clutching for us.

I really don't think you'll regret it. Go ride one. See what we're saying.

My better half and the best dad ever!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So did you really think that you were gonna hear unbiased opinions here???
    It's all going to boil down to what YOU want to do... Just have fun shopping and don't do anything in haste!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, everyone, for all the feedback.