Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Should I be upset?

I just purchased a brand new 2010 RSS White SE5 Spyder with the Can-Am Hindle exhaust. I took delivery on Thursday the 11th of November. I had a great weekend riding with unseasonably warm weather and one heck of a great trike!

Anyway when I was doing some searches on the forum I came up with the DPS recall. I figured it couldn't apply to me since the recall dated back to September. Anyway I shot a quick email over to the dealer to question it and got a call today saying yes my bike was subject to the recall and the DPS unit was on the shelf waiting for me to bring the bike in.

Am I wrong to feel upset about this?

Are there any other recalls I should be aware of? In riding the bike I only had few peculiar things. One seemed like a strong gas smell at times - but I cannot see any gas leaking anywhere so I didn't think much more of it. The other is the occasional backfire of the exhaust shifting up or down - its not often and seems to me like a lack of backpressure deal. I figure that's just the nature of the exhaust.

Thanks for listening guys.
    Scott
    Last edited by sraab928; 11-16-2010 at 07:49 PM.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No. And when you drop the Spyder for the DPS replace, have them looking on the other issues to.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would be mad because the dealer should have done all the recalls and especially should have done the DPS recall before you drove it home.

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post
    I would be mad because the dealer should have done all the recalls and especially should have done the DPS recall before you drove it home.

welcome
    The only good view of a thunderstorm is in your rearview mirror.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post

Getting mad/upset won't change what has happened. Just take it back for the recall and to check the other issues. Maybe you can talk them into a discount for a future purchase of an accessory or parts.

Spyder Garage

I don't know about mad, but it certainly confirms an observation I've made since owning my spyder. I've never owned a street bike of any kind before, so I wasn't aware of how terrible most dealers are. If my car dealer performed as poorly as many of these can-am dealers do, I'd buy some place else. Unfortunately, there are not multiple can am dealers in every city. With some notable exceptions, few of these dealers have competition to keep them honest.

In this case, I thought any official recalls had to be performed before they could be sold by law. It is a safety concern, so they should have jumped on it immediately. I was told something along these lines by my local toyota dealer.
    Old Spyder Mods:
    No Magic Neon Triple Play II, Leo Vince SBK Exhaust, MMG Backrest, BRP Seat Skin, XOPRODOX Grips & Throttle Rocker, Paint By Tallant's Hot Rods, Kewl Metal Air Filter, Juice Box, Evoluzione O2 Mod, DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap, Ride Wright Mojo Wheels and Pulley, Custom Handlebars, Relocated Ignition Switch, Madstad Robo Brackets, Evoluzione Swaybar, RT Shocks/Springs, Toyo R1R, Odyssey Battery, Lowered Shock Mount, SFB Floorboards, Fenderless w/ Custom License Bracket.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Getting mad/upset won't change what has happened. Just take it back for the recall and to check the other issues. Maybe you can talk them into a discount for a future purchase of an accessory or parts.
    I agree - it wont change anything - Just felt the need to vent a little. I just want it fixed and back in my garage. Is there any easy way to find out about additional recalls? Since this was missed by the dealer I don't want to trust them to find them. Can I call BRP direct?

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What dealer did you buy your spyder from?

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sraab928 View Post
    I agree - it wont change anything - Just felt the need to vent a little. I just want it fixed and back in my garage. Is there any easy way to find out about additional recalls? Since this was missed by the dealer I don't want to trust them to find them. Can I call BRP direct?
    They should be able to enter your VIN # and find all if all recalls have been done or not on your spyder. They should also have service bulletins that list all the recalls/recommended service issues that have been put out there for the various spyder models. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but it doesn't seem like this would be too much to ask of a dealership that you just purchased a used spyder from.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

There is nothing to be gained by getting mad. The best thing is to use this as a learning experience. Your dealer had instructions from BRP not to sell any Spyders until the recall was performed. he failed in that responsibility. I would take this as a sign of the lack of competence and care of this dealer, and shop for a new one. At this point, the existing dealer's ethics and capabilities are suspect. Get the DPS done, report the other problems, and then check out some other dealers...if feasible.

BTW, make sure you do not overfill the fuel tank. It can cause the strong gas smell when gas is pushed into the evap canister. It lasts a long time, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    They should be able to enter your VIN # and find all if all recalls have been done or not on your spyder. They should also have service bulletins that list all the recalls/recommended service issues that have been put out there for the various spyder models. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but it doesn't seem like this would be too much to ask of a dealership that you just purchased a used spyder from.
    The Spyder is new - not used.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    There is nothing to be gained by getting mad. The best thing is to use this as a learning experience. Your dealer had instructions from BRP not to sell any Spyders until the recall was performed. he failed in that responsibility. I would take this as a sign of the lack of competence and care of this dealer, and shop for a new one. At this point, the existing dealer's ethics and capabilities are suspect. Get the DPS done, report the other problems, and then check out some other dealers...if feasible.

BTW, make sure you do not overfill the fuel tank. It can cause the strong gas smell when gas is pushed into the evap canister. It lasts a long time, too.
    Thanks for the tip - I did fill it twice over the weekend. its possible that could have happened.

Spyder Garage

"Musterbation" = Our self talk that says: That dealer MUST not act that way. (The dealer did and now you go ballistic)

Write it off as experience and move on.

Chris PE# 0004

Spyder Garage

The real question is, what should be the responce from a customer when a dealer fails to do something that is safety related, required by the manufacturer, and would be automatic with any decent dealer even if not required.

Oversight? No, not even if the dealer is very sloppy. They knew about it and just decided not to take care of business or the customer. Not a good sign.

Probably isn't going to do any good to get mad. If they are a sorry dealer, getting mad won't help, probably nothing will help. If they are a decent dealer, just telling them that they have disappointed you so far will probably do more good than anything else.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sraab928 View Post
    The Spyder is new - not used.
    My mistake, I read over the beginning too fast and misread it. I would think though, as a new spyder they should have been even more inclined to make sure everything was up to date first.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies guys.

I just want to clarify I am not mad. Just a little disappointed. I used the word upset but its not like I am sitting here fuming over it. My main issues were - should I have expected better from the dealer (read should this be my service center), and are there other issues that I (and the dealer) may have missed.

At this point - they have my DPS (which from what I have read is a good thing) - so I will drop it off and have it installed and see how that experience goes before making any further conclusions about dealer service levels. I do have another option within a 45 minute radius so that is a good thing to have options.

I appreciate everyone's input.
    Thanks again
    Scott

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Until you made this post, I was unaware that any dealer let the new spyders out without the dps change. That almost falls under criminal neglect if an issue related to the dps recall occured. I would try the next closest dealer and let them both know why you changed dealers. I wonder if BRP knows that this has happened. They check out this site, so I guess they do now.

This is the part that sounds bad...
    Anyway I shot a quick email over to the dealer to question it and got a call today saying yes my bike was subject to the recall and the DPS unit was on the shelf waiting for me to bring the bike in.

Spyder Garage

DPS Install takes about 2 hours.( if you've done it before and I would say that 90% of BRP techs have) In this case you should be able to wait on it. I would also report this incident to BRP (Read email Carlo)
    The least they could do is jump on it when you arrive.

I am thinking this might be the scenerio:
    Buyer in house.
    Dont have DPS in stock.
    Dont want to risk the sale by delaying delivery.
    Shady at best.

What they did is against BRP policy and maybe illegal, but really not a huge deal. After all, if it is a brand new bike it has a brand new DPS (albeit the old style)
    I would be more concerned if they had sold me a used bike without the recall done.

Get it fixed and move on.
    -Samurai Mechanic-

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you got a wake up call = Don't take anything for Granted when it comes to ''Most'' [notice i said most not all] Dealers,
    And Especially BRP. ;IE, Make the sale first fix it later.

Spyder Garage

service and sales never knows what the other is doing

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well I took advantage of the warmer weather today (60 here) and dropped it off for the recall. I decided to just let it be and just get it taken care of so I can move on with my great new ride.

I did call BRP to confirm its the only recall on the unit. They said it was and stated it should have been done before delivery but it was safe to drive back to the dealer.

Thanks again all.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would be ticked off as I would think that the DPS recall should have been taken care of before you picked your new .