Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Storage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Winter Storage

I plan to empty all of the gas in the RT and remove the battery. Is there anything else I should do to winterize it?

Oh yes, I'll keep the battery hooked up to a battery tender. Will it damage the battery if I leave it hooked up all winter?

I don't plan to ride the bike until next spring.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LASpyder View Post
    I plan to empty all of the gas in the RT and remove the battery. Is there anything else I should do to winterize it?

Oh yes, I'll keep the battery hooked up to a battery tender. Will it damage the battery if I leave it hooked up all winter?

Wow, winterize a Spyder...

Can I stop by and ride it 1x/week? I can drop off mine and take yours to work.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LASpyder View Post

BRP recommends you have your authorized Can-Am roadster dealer fully prepare your vehicle for storage. Or, at your convenience, you can follow the basic procedures below:
    1. Inspect vehicle and have your authorized Can-Am roadster dealer repair any problems if necessary.
    2. Change the engine oil and filter. Go to an authorized Can-Am roadster dealer if necessary.
    3. Check engine coolant, brake fluid and clutch fluid levels. If low, fill to their recommended levels.
    4. Fill the fuel reservoir, add fuel stabilizer and run the engine to prevent the reservoir from rusting and the fuel from deteriorating. Strictly follow instructions on fuel stabilizer container.
    5. Inflate all tires to their recommended pressure.
    6. Clean the vehicle.
    7. Lubricate all controls cables, pivoting points of all levers and lubrication points of front suspensions.
    8. Cover the vehicle with a permeable material (e.g., tarpaulin). Avoid using plastic or similar non-breathing, coated materials that restrict air flow and allow heat and moisture to accumulate.
    9. Store the vehicle in a dry area, away from sunlight, with a small amount of daily temperature variation.
    10. Slow charge the battery once a month at the recommended charging rate of 2 A. It is not necessary to remove the battery.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteve View Post
    BRP recommends you have your authorized Can-Am roadster dealer fully prepare your vehicle for storage. Or, at your convenience, you can follow the basic procedures below:
    1. Inspect vehicle and have your authorized Can-Am roadster dealer repair any problems if necessary.
    2. Change the engine oil and filter. Go to an authorized Can-Am roadster dealer if necessary.
    3. Check engine coolant, brake fluid and clutch fluid levels. If low, fill to their recommended levels.
    4. Fill the fuel reservoir, add fuel stabilizer and run the engine to prevent the reservoir from rusting and the fuel from deteriorating. Strictly follow instructions on fuel stabilizer container.
    5. Inflate all tires to their recommended pressure.
    6. Clean the vehicle.
    7. Lubricate all controls cables, pivoting points of all levers and lubrication points of front suspensions.
    8. Cover the vehicle with a permeable material (e.g., tarpaulin). Avoid using plastic or similar non-breathing, coated materials that restrict air flow and allow heat and moisture to accumulate.
    9. Store the vehicle in a dry area, away from sunlight, with a small amount of daily temperature variation.
    10. Slow charge the battery once a month at the recommended charging rate of 2 A. It is not necessary to remove the battery.
    OR, Lend it to someone to ride it through the Winter, so you don't have
    to do all that.

Spyder Garage

I recommend against both. Add fuel stabilizer (Stabil or Sea-Foam), top off the tank to prevent condensation, run the Spyder to get the stabilized fuel into the pump and lines, and put the Spyder on the battery tender with the battery in place. Nancy's has done two winters that way, and my RTS did one. My BMWs have done a decade without difficulty...in an unheated garage. I do remove the lead-acid batteries that are not sealed, but the remainder remain installed, and go on the battery tenders until Spring (or a nice day). It won't hurt to do as you plan, except maybe leave some old gas behind in the lines, but it is a tremendous amount of trouble, and creates the potential for leaks or connection problems next season.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I plan to add Stabil, check all of the fluid levels, and do the old "Start it twice a month and warm it up" routine...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I plan to add Stabil, check all of the fluid levels, and do the old "Start it twice a month and warm it up" routine...
    actually we just had a speaker at my riders club meeting and they recommend you DON'T start it over the winter. keep it warm and dry and battery on tender... starting it does more wear and tear on the battery and you dont run it enough to clear the moisture and you end up just adding acid breakdown to the oil that sits in the bike all winter...

full tank of gas with stablizer to keep any rust in the tank away...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    actually we just had a speaker at my riders club meeting and they recommend you DON'T start it over the winter. keep it warm and dry and battery on tender... starting it does more wear and tear on the battery and you dont run it enough to clear the moisture and you end up just adding acid breakdown to the oil that sits in the bike all winter...

full tank of gas with stablizer to keep any rust in the tank away...
    Unless you are going to ride the machine long enough to reach full operating temperature, not just warming the coolant, it does more harm than good. It also has to be ridden, to distribute oil onto the gears and clutch parts. Finally, the gas tank has to be topped off to keep it full to help prevent condensation. If you ride it far enough to add much more gas, you will need more fuel stabilizer.

Winterize it, put it on the tender, then let it sit until Spring, unless you ride during the winter. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just plan to change oil/filter, Add stabilizer ( even though I am not sure that is warranted since the machine is in my basement which has fairly stable temps. and I have never put it in any of my machines).
    But that won't be until it snows and they put salt down.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by namknight View Post
    I just plan to change oil/filter, Add stabilizer ( even though I am not sure that is warranted since the machine is in my basement which has fairly stable temps. and I have never put it in any of my machines).
    But that won't be until it snows and they put salt down.
    its not the temp reason for fuel stablizer. it is the gas breaks down to varnish and I think water partially just from age... i always use fuel stable. it is cheap from Wal-mart or most places....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess now I'm going to have to add a Battery Tender Jr to my Christmas Wish list...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question... Can you hook the Battery Tender up to those "jumper terminals" that are accessible just under the seat, or do you need to hook directly to the Battery itself?

Spyder Garage

right now I use the screw on top and the terminal covered by the RED cap. ... but over winter will install a perm pigtail as its easier to make sure I dont short the clips when taking off ect...

just nice to plug and unplug and go..

I leave my on charger when ever its in the garage. as long as you have a smart charger that just trickle charges. the one i have also every month or so does a battery test automatically...

from Yuasa the larger charging unit. comes with the pigtail cord

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Question... Can you hook the Battery Tender up to those "jumper terminals" that are accessible just under the seat, or do you need to hook directly to the Battery itself?
    Yes you can, some people like to tap into the battery with a plug.
    I just use the jumper terminals from time to time, But also i don't put my bikes away for the Winter i use them almost every day. So i don't need
    to keep them on a charger for long periods.

Spyder Garage

You certainly can do so if you use alligator clips. You should not attach a pigtail there, however. The ground connection there is held by a nut and bolt. If you loosen the bolt, the nut will start to spin. You will need to remove the body panels (and hold your mouth just right) to remedy the situation. If you want a pigtail, remove the body panels and attach directly to the battery. Better yet, just buy a cigarette adapter for your battery charger and plug into the power outlet in the rear trunk.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

winter storage... it's 95 degrees

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...lucky bugger!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just another stupid question...
    Which body panels have to come off to dig down to the battery on the RT models? I've got a Tender Jr here now and would like to rig up the permanent connection.

Spyder Garage

Just another stupid question...
    Which body panels have to come off to dig down to the battery on the RT models? I've got a Tender Jr here now and would like to rig up the permanent connection.
    Left mirror, left deflector, left access panel, left middle side panel (oil check panel, left upper middle panel, left rear side panel, battery access panel. There may be a way to bend the panels enough to remove the battery access panel without doing this, but I wouldn't want to risk it. BTW, you will also have to unfasten the seat gas shock or use a small ratchet or plain torx wrench to access the rear battery panel screw. You can buy an adapter from the battery tender (SAE) to a cigarette socket, and just plug into the trunk outlet.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Scotty! You're the best!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The adapter is ordered... Thanks again!

Spyder Garage

where and how much for the adapter? standard 2 prong plug i assume so should fit most battery tenders?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I E-Bayed one for about $6.0 plus another $6.50 for shipping... Deltran sell it for $7.50 plus about $13.50 for shipping...
    I searched "Battery Tender cigarette plug adapter cord" to find it...

Spyder Garage

This is all I've ever done on my last two bikes. This winter will be my first with the RT.

The secret is you have to run it long enough for the muffler to heat up as well, not just run until the fan comes on.

Of course, I don't think I've ever gone more than 6 weeks without sneaking a ride in of some sort.

I can only imagine that the RT will be ridden even more during the winter.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Of course, I don't think I've ever gone more than 6 weeks without sneaking a ride in of some sort.