Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default TricFenderz on RT?

Anyone installed the TricLed TricFenderz LED strip on their RT fenders? If so, did you use amber or white? I've seen several pictures with them on the RS but can't remember seeing them on any RT.
    Last edited by 1551retired; 10-28-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: added picture

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IMHO blue should be better...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    IMHO blue should be better...
    Unfortunately blue is not legal in most states.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm going to do white because it's brighter and legal while riding. You know these are on Ebay for around $10. That's where I got mine

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crtravelnmore View Post
    I'm going to do white because it's brighter and legal while riding. You know these are on Ebay for around $10. That's where I got mine
    Don't you think amber would be legal? How about a link to Ebay?

Spyder Garage

On your blue RT, I would probably go with white. The white is brighter, but at this point both colors increase your visibility greatly. It is just a matter of what color you feel would look best on your machine. When we were at SitS, one group of ryders who caught us at night said they could see the fender lights from a good distance off, and knew it was us they were catching.

You can check out my mods thread to see the ambers on my Spyder.

Quote Originally Posted by crtravelnmore View Post
    Can you provide a link to where they are available for $10? I know you can get some strips that cheap, but these actually fit flush into the groove of the fender and are the proper length for full coverage. Do the others work the same way?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Either amber or white marker lights should be legal in most, if not all, states. Both are legal in Michigan.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Go with white and then dress up the sides with some amber strips.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Either amber or white marker lights should be legal in most, if not all, states. Both are legal in Michigan.

But after the amber or white light make it over the top of the fender and begin facing rearward they become illegal in all 50 States.

You can not have a rear facing running light that is amber or white.

Running lights that face rearward or are past the midway point on the side of a vehicle must be red in all 50 States by the SAE DOT code.

MM
    Last edited by Magic Man; 10-29-2010 at 07:11 AM.
    [URL="http://www.esicycleproducts.com/"]

Spyder Garage

Hmmmmmm....maybe I won't get the fender strips just yet and wait for the ones that come out with white/amber in front and turns red as it comes over the top to the rear.

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

1551retired: Photos here: http://www.nwacycleservice.com/page6.php
    Last edited by GaryTheBadger; 10-29-2010 at 09:05 AM.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    But after the amber or white light make it over the top of the fender and begin facing rearward they become illegal in all 50 States.

Running lights that face rearward or are past the midway point on the side of a vehicle must be red in all 50 States by the SAE DOT code.

MM
    I didn't think about that. You are absolutely correct, of course. I guess I am still a fossil that remembers when lights were point sources, and not strips. I like that idea of a strip that has different colors front and back, but in the long run all that lighting on the fenders is just too much for my tastes. I prefer your fabulous mudflap lights instead.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

MM
    ........so you are saying that your Brightsides are legal only while riding straight, once i turn they begin facing rearward, which makes them ilegal, so in all in all Brightsides are as illegal as any amber or white lights, that is pitty, i was so looking forward to order them, off the list now

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLorD View Post
    ........so you are saying that your Brightsides are legal only while riding straight, once i turn they begin facing rearward, which makes them ilegal, so in all in all Brightsides are as illegal as any amber or white lights, that is pitty, i was so looking forward to order them, off the list now
    What are you talking about?

The amber Brightsides we sell for THE FRONT of a Spyder will ALWAYS BE ON THE FRONT OF THE SPYDER ONCE INSTALLED.

Likewise for the RT rear red units. They will always be on the back of the RT.

The law for side marker lights has to do with where they are mounted on the vehicle. Forward of the mid line needs to white or amber, past the mid line needs to be red.

Even if you were to turn around and go against traffic, these lights would still be shinning ont the front or back of your vehicle.

This code has nothing to do with the direction you are driving, like backing up. No matter the direction you are driving the light code is written in relationship to your vehicle, not the direction you are driving.

So even going against traffic your Day Runners or Brightsides still would be out the front of your vehicle for Dayrunners, or froward of the mid line for the amber Brightsides and not shinning rearward or on the back of your Spyder.

This law was written to allow other motorists to distinguish which is the front of the vehicle and which is the back, and is this way so it is the same look everytime.

Also, white lights shinning rearward can be very distracting if not somewhat blinding to other motorist at night who are behind you.

I don't make the SAE DOT codes, I just know them very well, as I design lights to meet these codes everyday.

MM
    Last edited by Magic Man; 10-29-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Try

Radiantz.com

they have flexible arrays in different colors that can be joined within in one outer tube to provide amber at the front and top and red to the rear.

The tubes are about 0.325 wide with 3M tape. I have not tried these, but was thinking they would look good in or over the front fender groove.

SteveO

Spyder Garage

........so you are saying that your Brightsides are legal only while riding straight, once i turn they begin facing rearward, which
    makes them ilegal, so in all in all Brightsides are as illegal as any amber or white lights, that is pitty, i was so looking forward to order them, off the list now
    That's not what he was saying, unless your bike is bent.
    once i turn, they begin facing rearward
    .... so if while you are turning and you get hit, did you get hit from the side or the rear?, that is the question .

My Brightsides are not illegal, just bright! Thats why they are called brightSIDES, not brightREARS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    That's not what he was saying, unless your bike is bent. .... so if while you are turning and you get hit, did you get hit from the side or the rear?, that is the question .

My Brightsides are not illegal, just bright! Thats why they are called brightSIDES, not brightREARS
    No once you turn your are now traviling in that direction, and they are STILL SHINNING OUT THE FRONT of your Spyder.

It is in realationship to your vehicle and HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DIRECTION YOU ARE GOING.

Your headlights are always on the front of your Spyder no matter which way you are going.

Even if you are backing up the front of your Spyder will always be the front of your Spyder no matter what.

Again, the law is written in realtionship to the vehicle (front or rear) not the direction you are moving.

If you are going the wrong way against traffic and get hit, you were still hit in the front of your Spyder. Just because you were going the wrong way does not change the front of your Spyder to the back.

Two cars hit on a one way street because one was going the wrong way, it is still a head on hit not getting rear ended. Both cars were hit head on not one was hit head on, one was rear ended because he was driving against traffic.

MM
    Last edited by Magic Man; 10-29-2010 at 10:08 AM.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Have my front Brightsides installed and going to get the mudflap lights and the rear Brightsides next then I'll be good for awhile.

Spyder Garage

I have all of the ESI lights for my RT-S and love them. My buddy, sinkhole, says I look like a "lit-up Christmas Tree" coming down the road...Good! People can't say they don't see me coming!
    Thanks Jim - a.k.a. SpyderRider

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson

reggystan

Thanks for the comments, feedback noted. At first when we designed it I wanted it to be more of an accent light. When other motorist see a motorcycle they assume skinny 2 wheels and often not realizing hey there is 2 wheels out there and unusual since Spyders are the first of its kind to be mass produced. We tested them for quite some time and even brought them to our local municipalities and showed them. Their response was, "you can definitely see" this when your driving down the road. Till this day I have honestly not had any police pull me over for any of the lighting we have on our Spyders. We all know red and blue are a no no but questionable as long as it does not impersonate a police officer. Exactly what they said when we were in Daytona a few weeks ago when asked. The LED's used on the fender is not as bright as all the other LED lighting we have. They are spaced out further and smaller LED's. These were meant to be accent lighting just like accent lighting most used under the bike or just about anywhere one chooses to.

As for the fender lights. we will have a dual color in a few weeks. The first 10 LED facing the rear will be in red and the front ones would be in white or amber.

I hope this clears up some questions or issues. If you have any questions please feel free to PM or contact me. Thank you again to all those who gave their feedback. RT

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

What are you talking about?

The amber Brightsides we sell for THE FRONT of a Spyder will ALWAYS BE ON THE FRONT OF THE SPYDER ONCE INSTALLED.

Likewise for the RT rear red units. They will always be on the back of the RT.

The law for side marker lights has to do with where they are mounted on the vehicle. Forward of the mid line needs to white or amber, past the mid line needs to be red.

Even if you were to turn around and go against traffic, these lights would still be shinning ont the front or back of your vehicle.

This code has nothing to do with the direction you are driving, like backing up. No matter the direction you are driving the light code is written in relationship to your vehicle, not the direction you are driving.

So even going against traffic your Day Runners or Brightsides still would be out the front of your vehicle for Dayrunners, or froward of the mid line for the amber Brightsides and not shinning rearward or on the back of your Spyder.

This law was written to allow other motorists to distinguish which is the front of the vehicle and which is the back, and is this way so it is the same look everytime.

Also, white lights shinning rearward can be very distracting if not somewhat blinding to other motorist at night who are behind you.

I don't make the SAE DOT codes, I just know them very well, as I design lights to meet these codes everyday.

MM
    that is exactly what is confusing me - that you know those regulation very well but saying once one thing and second the other thing.
    now i see nowhere myself saying that i am going to change direction or riding wrong way or so. all i understand from your explanation that neither white or amber can face or begin facing to the rear, you explain that crystal clear exactly as i did when said that once you just slightly turn a handlebar - NOT TURNING ARROUND!, your brightsides begin to be visible from behind you, which means they are lighting backwards - so they are illegal right then. no mather how you call them the only way your brightsides will be street legal if you mount them on unmovable permanent side of vehicle which is and stays that way. mounted on the fender sides is very nice but still breaking a law once turning because that fact makes them to begin facing rear - that is exactly what you are saying, right?

Spyder Garage

that is exactly what is confusing me - that you know those regulation very well but saying once one thing and second the other thing.
    now i see nowhere myself saying that i am going to change direction or riding wrong way or so. all i understand from your explanation that neither white or amber can face or begin facing to the rear, you explain that crystal clear exactly as i did when said that once you just slightly turn a handlebar - NOT TURNING ARROUND!, your brightsides begin to be visible from behind you, which means they are lighting backwards - so they are illegal right then. no mather how you call them the only way your brightsides will be street legal if you mount them on unmovable permanent side of vehicle which is and stays that way. mounted on the fender sides is very nice but still breaking a law once turning because that fact makes them to begin facing rear - that is exactly what you are saying, right?
    NO NO NO!

You seem to want to keep confusing direction of travel with relationship to how they are mounted to the vehicle.

If a light is made to be mounted on the side of a vehicle, and is in front of the forward mid line of said vehicle, it has to be white or amber regardless which driection you point your vehicle in realtionship to traffic.

This is just the reason this law is written this way, so when you are sitting broad side to traffic, the traffic can distinguish which is the front of that vehicle sitting broadside and which is the rear.

They will see a amber reflector or light on one end, and a red reflector or light on the other. This will tell them which is the front and which is the back.

Now, if that said vehicle has a running light or brake light mounted on it in realtionshid to said vehicle that shines towards the rear of that vehicle, (no matter which direction that vehicle is traveling in realtionship to traffic) said light must be red.

The code is written only in realtionship to the vehicle the lights are mounted on.

Yes if you turn broadside you will have amber light shinning toward traffic, but that light is still shinning out the side of your vehicle.

There are many times that an amber or white light might be shinning toward traffic. Such as, on coming traffic, a person going the wrong way, or even a vehicle sitting broadside because of say a break down.

Idea is when you see an amber or white light you know which direction that vehicle is pointing.

White or amber lights pointing at you is to mean that vehicle is coming at you or at least pointing your way.

The only way amber is to be facing toward the rear of a vehicle is if it is used as a flashing turn signal. That is amber only, white can't be used as a rear turn signal no matter what.

White can only be used as a back up light on the rear of a vehicle. Again the reason is that when you see a white light it means that vehicle is coming at you, as in backing up.

I don't write the laws that's just how they are written.

If you put a light mounted on your vehicle that is white or amber that faces towards the rear of that vehicle you are just giving the law a reason to pull you over, and in my State it will not pass the State safety inspection.

MM
    Last edited by Magic Man; 10-29-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Forgetting about what is and isn't legal for just a second here...
    Do the LEDS on the center of the fenders that wrap all the way to the mudflap throw light that gets into the eyes of the operator of the Spyder?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I would say ask SpyderWolf as he has them and has run them for a bit?

MM